• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's Up?

From the overlook at the Cemetery, if you look slightly to the left, that's Dog Green Sector of Omaha Beach. In the movie Saving Private Ryan, you will see the name Dog Green Sector on the screen, right before the German machine guns opened up on our Boys and their landing craft. https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/article/d-day-landing-at-omaha-beach/

Almost 10,000 US soldiers buried at the Cemetery.

"Dog Green sector of Omaha Beach, the deadliest place on 6 June 1944. It was here that more than half of A Company, 116th Infantry Regiment, was slaughtered in the first wave of Americans to land"
...and then: "Colonel George A. Taylor, the regimental commander, noting the small breakthrough stood to his feet and yelled at his troops, "The only men who remain on this beach are the dead and those who are about to die! Let's get moving!" Soon other troops began making their way up the bluffs along Spaulding's route while other gaps were blown through the wire and mines. By vicious fighting, some hand-to-hand, other sections, platoons, and eventually companies made it to the top and began pushing toward Colleville-sur-Mer. By noon of that bloody day, the 16th Infantry had broken through the beach defenses and established a foothold..."

I am affiliated with 1 16th Infantry Regiment. Our history is long, distinguished, and proud.

...and then: "Colonel George A. Taylor, the regimental commander, noting the small breakthrough stood to his feet and yelled at his troops, "The only men who remain on this beach are the dead and those who are about to die! Let's get moving!" Soon other troops began making their way up the bluffs along Spaulding's route while other gaps were blown through the wire and mines. By vicious fighting, some hand-to-hand, other sections, platoons, and eventually companies made it to the top and began pushing toward Colleville-sur-Mer. By noon of that bloody day, the 16th Infantry had broken through the beach defenses and established a foothold..."

I am affiliated with 1 16th Infantry Regiment. Our history is long, distinguished, and proud.
I like the story of the 2d Rangers at Pointe du Hoc too, which, as you know, is further to the left of the Omaha Cemetery area and toward Utah beach. Looking up from the beach and down from the top, and knowing the Rangers scaled the 110 ft. point/cliff, is pretty cool.

The many museums in the area, and the awesome Caen Museum. Loved that one.

We stayed in Honfleur. Very cool and beautiful village. https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/honfleur

Place is special.

I had a chance to enter the water with fellow Soldiers to meet our Command Sergeant Major...who unfurled our colors as we walked onto the beach.

Among my very best memories.

Greatest Generation was one-of-a-kind.
I only got so far as to touch the water and the sand. And the sea wall. Buncha fucking kids running around with zero concept of where they were (apparently) and no adult in sight to educate them. They were loud as fuck at Point du Hoc as well, and came off a school bus, so I KNOW there was at least one teacher with them, but they were running wild and screaming. Fortunately avoided them at the cemetery or I might have come unglued.

I like the story of the 2d Rangers at Pointe du Hoc too, which, as you know, is further to the left of the Omaha Cemetery area and toward Utah beach. Looking up from the beach and down from the top, and knowing the Rangers scaled the 110 ft. point/cliff, is pretty cool.

The many museums in the area, and the awesome Caen Museum. Loved that one.

We stayed in Honfleur. Very cool and beautiful village. https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/honfleur
What’s even crazier is that only 93 of the 225 rangers sent to take Point du Hoc made it to the top and only 70 lived to defend it against counter attacks.

Honestly, when they talk about the fog war, Operation Overlord is the poster child. SO many things went wrong (timing, tides, winds, erroneous landing points, wet grappling lines, boats hitting mines, etc., etc.) it’s a freaking miracle it worked at all.

But MAN, do the French in that area love Americans! To this day…

What’s even crazier is that only 93 of the 225 rangers sent to take Point du Hoc made it to the top and only 70 lived to defend it against counter attacks.

Honestly, when they talk about the fog war, Operation Overlord is the poster child. SO many things went wrong (timing, tides, winds, erroneous landing points, wet grappling lines, boats hitting mines, etc., etc.) it’s a freaking miracle it worked at all.

But MAN, do the French in that area love Americans! To this day…
Intangibles of the WWII Soldiers...heart, guts, toughness...made the difference.

It's also important to remember every citizen of the Nation was contributing to the war effort in some way.

Easy to compare and contrast to every "war" thereafter to WWII...and the strategic results.

But, the fighting spirit of WWII Soldiers still burns in our current Army - we are still very, very good at the operational and tactical levels.

Intangibles of the WWII Soldiers...heart, guts, toughness...made the difference.

It's also important to remember every citizen of the Nation was contributing to the war effort in some way.

Easy to compare and contrast to every "war" thereafter to WWII...and the strategic results.

But, the fighting spirit of WWII Soldiers still burns in our current Army - we are still very, very good at the operational and tactical levels.

Same in the Navy. One thing i noticed was when the bullets/bombs started flying, most of the admin bullshit was set waaaay back in terms of importance. But I gotta admit, this DEI bullshit being shoved down the military’s throats (and by some leadership IN the military) scares me about our readiness when they’re ultimately called on again.

That, and the fact we have no oil reserves or ammo left, since we “aided” it all to Ukraine.

I only got so far as to touch the water and the sand. And the sea wall. Buncha fucking kids running around with zero concept of where they were (apparently) and no adult in sight to educate them. They were loud as fuck at Point du Hoc as well, and came off a school bus, so I KNOW there was at least one teacher with them, but they were running wild and screaming. Fortunately avoided them at the cemetery or I might have come unglued.
Came off a school bus. That says it all. So, its not just Americans who he have allowed their educational system to go to hell in the last 50-60 years. The French(spit)! I would have thought being at the vortex of two world wars in 31 years would have driven home the following quote: "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

Back