• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2 conference teams in championship

BornGrizz

When was the last time this happened in the FCS? Can't wait to watch the Bison raise the trophy from my seat at midfield hoping for better days ahead. :thumb:

Looks like 1988, when Furman played Georgia Southern (in Pocatello, BTW).

Of course, the way teams have moved around among conferences, I may have missed something. The list is at http://www.ncaa.com/history/football/fcs

Like: Were Western Kentucky and McNeese State in the same conference in 2002? Pretty sure not, but it's hard to be sure.

maroon said:
W. Ky was in the Ohio Valley Conference, Mack Neese in the Southland.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

The Furman - Ga Southern matchup also happened in 1985.

IdaGriz01 said:
maroon said:
W. Ky was in the Ohio Valley Conference, Mack Neese in the Southland.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

The Furman - Ga Southern matchup also happened in 1985.

I think Georgia Southern might've been an independent in 1985. They didn't join the SoCon until sometime after they'd won their first couple titles.

As an Eagle fan, I watched with tremendous interest last week. Illinois State is the REAL DEAL. I have no idea how they and North Dakota State are pulling so much better talent than we are in the Big Sky. I don't think of those geographical areas as being real hotbeds of football talent; at least it doesn't seem to work that way at the FBS level. But for whatever reason, those MVC schools are really getting some high quality FCS guys.

There is no doubt in my mind that the top tier of the FCS is getting better every year. I joke with Eastern people that our 2010 National Championship team would struggle to make the semis any more. It wasn't that many years ago when even BCS bottom-feeders could feast on the best FCS teams. Nowadays, if you want to compete for National Championships at this level, you need to have a team at least capable of beating most mid-majors and the lower tier of BCS programs.

Both Mac squads resemble a current big ten type of athlete, game approach in my view. Both could compete with the perennial bottom feeders in the big time, NDSU has certainly done that.

Our game and the anticipated new game produces the faster paced west coast style in general terms.

We get comparable athletes but expect or coach them up for a different result. So much comes down to coaching, game plans/philosophy, etc.

Grizlaw said:
[... I think Georgia Southern might've been an independent in 1985. They didn't join the SoCon until sometime after they'd won their first couple titles.
Yep. Looks like you're right. Furman was the SoCon champion those times when they met in the NC game in 1985 and 1988. Can't exactly say when Ga So officially joined, but it looked to be about 1993.

So that leaves the question: When, if ever (before) have two teams from the same conference played for the NC?

When I go on down the list ... it looks to me like NEVER.

(Hopefully, TSN, or somebody else with a paid research staff, will give us the final scoop. :D )

Just re-read the TSN "Playoff Roundup" http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...ork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

I missed this little bit the first time through:
TSN said:
The Redbirds rallied past top-seeded New Hampshire, 21-18, with two fourth-quarter touchdowns in the FCS semifinals and gave the Missouri Valley both national finalists - a first for the division. [My emphasis]
I assume they do mean that this is indeed the first for FCS ("the division"), but I'm a bit surprised they didn't make a bigger deal of it. I mean, a "first" is a "first."

IdaGriz01 said:
Just re-read the TSN "Playoff Roundup" http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/...ork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

TSN said:
The Redbirds rallied past top-seeded New Hampshire, 21-18, with two fourth-quarter touchdowns in the FCS semifinals and gave the Missouri Valley both national finalists - a first for the division. [My emphasis]
I assume they do mean that this is indeed the first for FCS ("the division"), but I'm a bit surprised they didn't make a bigger deal of it. I mean, a "first" is a "first."

Kind of like this year's "first College Football Playoff"... :lol: :roll:

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:

TSN said:

Kind of like this year's "first College Football Playoff"... :lol: :roll:
Something like that. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Missouri Valley Football Conference, as you would expect, is playing up the "first."
MVFC said:
Valley Football Champs Meet in Frisco

For the first time in FCS history, two teams from the same league will play one another in the title game. The FCS began conducting a tournament in 1978 (then called I-AA).

Illinois State (13-1) is making its first title game appearance. The Redbirds beat UNI, Eastern Washington and New Hampshire in the playoffs to get there.

North Dakota State (14-1) is making its fourth-straight title game trip. The Bison are the three-time defending national champions and beat South Dakota State, Coastal Carolina and Sam Houston State to reach Frisco this year.

The teams did not play each other this year and shared the MVFC title with identical 7-1 league records (both teams lost at UNI).

The MVFC finished the season 30-2 against non-league FCS teams, with the only two losses on the road at then-ranked #4 Montana (regular season) and then-ranked #8 Chattanooga (playoffs).

The league also set a record with 11 wins against non-conference top-25 teams (five in the regular season, six in the playoffs).

The MVFC set a record with 9 playoff wins (the league is 9-3 in the playoffs this year, and that includes two games in which it played another league member). The previous record was 8 by CAA Football in 2004, 2008, and 2009). The MVFC is guaranteed a 10th win.

Valley Football teams have defeated the No. 1 tournament seed five times (including New Hampshire this year). Illinois State's win at New Hampshire also marked the 14th win for the league against a No. 1-ranked team.

North Dakota State has won 15-consecutive playoff games.

A Valley Football team has played in the title game 7 previous times, winning five of those games.

Valley Football teams are 76-54 all-time in the playoffs (since the league was founded in 1985). The league is 28-10 this decade. And the league is 24-7 in the last four tournaments, including this year.
I don't normally post an entire article, but did this time because they didn't use a byline.

The article (plus some others about the semi-final games) is at http://www.valley-football.org/news/default/2014-15/7779/valley-football-champs-meet-in-frisco/

first11 said:
Both Mac squads resemble a current big ten type of athlete, game approach in my view. Both could compete with the perennial bottom feeders in the big time, NDSU has certainly done that.

Our game and the anticipated new game produces the faster paced west coast style in general terms.

We get comparable athletes but expect or coach them up for a different result. So much comes down to coaching, game plans/philosophy, etc.

They've done more than compete with bottom feeders. They took down Big 12 Champion Kansas State. It's crazy how powerful they have become.

Back