• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

AD Opening at USU: Kent Haslam?

I just don't see them going after a unproven candidate. UM they are not. If, for some reason, they do offer him the job, he's gone. The BYU angle is peculiarly Utahan. I lived in that sphere a long time and still don't truely understand it. USU and UU have fair rivalry but both séem to HATE BYU.

Unless there is another Meadow Mountain attack planned, why go back? He has much more prestige at a flagship university than community college.

Kent has done an EXCELLENT JOB, AND WILL continue to do an excellent job. But the App. State, NDSU and upcoming McNeese State series, as well as the Liberty games, and the five-year nonc-on deal with Cal Poly, BEFORE the Stangs were added to the Big Sky were ALL O'Day. Every single one of those games had a signed contract before Haslam was ever the AD. As was the the 2017 trip to Washington. So, while I think Kent has done an outstanding job in the AD office, the football schedules as we know them so far, really didn't have anything to do wit him. Now, the future schedules, I'm sure he is working hard at them and will do a great job.

Spanky said:
Kem, Do you think our school will be in the Big Sky Conference forever? I would rather be playing Utah State than Southern Utah. I remember when we were in the same conference and Utah State played at Dornblaser (old). The answer is we probably will be in the Big Sky forever.

Do you remember when UM was part of the Skyline Conference and won one or two games a year?

CV Griz Fan said:
Spanky said:
Kem, Do you think our school will be in the Big Sky Conference forever? I would rather be playing Utah State than Southern Utah. I remember when we were in the same conference and Utah State played at Dornblaser (old). The answer is we probably will be in the Big Sky forever.

Do you remember when UM was part of the Skyline Conference and won one or two games a year?

Back in the day of the Pacific Coast Conference the California teams refused to take the train to Montana to play the games. This was of course primarily due to their fear of playing the Griz. Some say it all stopped after Grizbeer's Great Aunt, Wilma "Gams" Fitzpatrick gave the University of California's center, Robert "Dutch" Morland, the clap back in 1929. It is rumored that the California Board of Hygiene President, Roland "Red" Flanagan,blacklisted trips to Montana for the good of it's population.

Ursa Major said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Spanky said:

Back in the day of the Pacific Coast Conference the California teams refused to take the train to Montana to play the games. This was of course primarily due to their fear of playing the Griz. Some say it all stopped after Grizbeer's Great Aunt, Wilma "Gams" Fitzpatrick gave the University of California's center, Robert "Dutch" Morland, the clap back in 1929. It is rumored that the California Board of Hygiene President, Roland "Red" Flanagan,blacklisted trips to Montana for the good of it's population.

Hmmm... Really? Even for an easy win? Penicillin was around back then right?

CV Griz Fan said:
Ursa Major said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Spanky said:

Hmmm... Really? Even for an easy win? Penicillin was around back then right?
I don't believe penicillin was mass marketed until after the war. Back in the day it was treated with sulfa drugs, lime juice, laudanum and spending a lot of time standing on your head. That's what dad told me. He was a marine so he should know.

havgrizfan said:
Kent has done an EXCELLENT JOB, AND WILL continue to do an excellent job. But the App. State, NDSU and upcoming McNeese State series, as well as the Liberty games, and the five-year nonc-on deal with Cal Poly, BEFORE the Stangs were added to the Big Sky were ALL O'Day. Every single one of those games had a signed contract before Haslam was ever the AD. As was the the 2017 trip to Washington. So, while I think Kent has done an outstanding job in the AD office, the football schedules as we know them so far, really didn't have anything to do wit him. Now, the future schedules, I'm sure he is working hard at them and will do a great job.

Agree on all points. Kent is doing a great job. But I would be shocked if he wasn't at least a little bit interested in the USU job.

USA Today listed Barnes's salary at $350,000 with another $60,000 in "bonus incentives."

I couldn't find quick info on Haslam but did find an article from when O'Day settled with then UM and he was paid a base year of just under $125,000. Probably a safe bet to ballpark Haslam's salary in the $125,000 - $150,000 range.

Personally I would hate to see Haslam go. He's been a great AD for us.

CV Griz Fan said:
Spanky said:

Yeah. We still had overhead projectors, rotary dial phones and TV's with only two channels and rabbit ears....that (comparing now to the old Skyline) is perhaps the most useless red herring ever.

ya and counting wins against lower division foes -- the inequity existed, for the Griz, and lower division MSC

statler & waldorf said:
I just don't see them going after a unproven candidate. UM they are not. If, for some reason, they do offer him the job, he's gone. The BYU angle is peculiarly Utahan. I lived in that sphere a long time and still don't truely understand it. USU and UU have fair rivalry but both séem to HATE BYU.

You have a pretty good grasp of the situation, UU and USU don't like each other much but both DESPISE BYU even more. Since Utah was admitted into the PAC some of thier fans have gotten pretty full of themselves though.

BWahlberg said:
USA Today listed Barnes's salary at $350,000 with another $60,000 in "bonus incentives."

I couldn't find quick info on Haslam but did find an article from when O'Day settled with then UM and he was paid a base year of just under $125,000. Probably a safe bet to ballpark Haslam's salary in the $125,000 - $150,000 range.

This site says his salary is $820,846.00

http://www.utahsright.com/profile.php?id=2916454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got that from here:

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We were looking for a new AD when we lost Jim and we found Kent.

Do you think Kent was the last of the good ones?

Get a grip girls, lots and lots of good ADs are out and about and if he leaves I suspect we will get a good new one.

Umista said:
We were looking for a new AD when we lost Jim and we found Kent.

Do you think Kent was the last of the good ones?

Get a grip girls, lots and lots of good ADs are out and about and if he leaves I suspect we will get a good new one.

I don't see anyone saying we would not get a good one. Most everyone is showing support for what a great job Kent has done. :thumb:

Kent projects a professional image and he has quickly assumed his responsibilities with class. Utah State will come after him with a full court press as he is perfect for that excellent school.

NavyBlue said:
BWahlberg said:

This site says his salary is $820,846.00

http://www.utahsright.com/profile.php?id=2916454" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got that from here:

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man tithing is a bitch at that rate.

Back