• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Which Qualities Are Most Important For A QB?

Speed and Rhythm have always been my sought after qualities. Decision making must be included.

What makes a super stud can include scramble similar to Wilson of the Sea Hawkes and our own David D.

Glad to see mean ol growler is back on football stuff.

1) A skillset w/ the potential to fit YOUR scheme
2) Personal accountability in association w/ leadership role
3) Strong decision making abilities when faced w/ adversity

SaskGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
AllWeatherFan said:
1. Swagger
2. DOLA
3. From a good family.
4. Fire

5. From Montana
6. Not from Montana
7. Good skill set
8. Pac-12 hips
9. Has played the game before
10. Responds well to egriz criticism
11. Gritty
12. Educated
13. Full of piss and vinegar
14. Plays with his hair on fire (not literally... maybe)
15. From Butte
16. Plays Madden on the "All-Madden" difficulty level
17. Has a Nissan Murano with good snow tires

Ideally the ability to be "best in space"

:lol: HA!!! Well played men!!!!

AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
I have not seen any of Stitt's offense, and did not attend the spring scrimmages. But from what I have read, I think that many of the passes in his offense require the QB to pass on the move, rather than in the pocket. Am I correct? If so, then Gus's problem with accuracy when passing on the move could be a problem.

I still love what Simis brings, with his mobility, ability to run, and athleticism. I can not believe that he has accuracy problems, from what I heard about him as a high school QB.

Where have you read/seen that Gus has problems with accuracy when passing on the move?

I think Stitt said in an interview that was something Gus needed to improve on. I am quite sure I read his quote accurately.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
I have not seen any of Stitt's offense, and did not attend the spring scrimmages. But from what I have read, I think that many of the passes in his offense require the QB to pass on the move, rather than in the pocket. Am I correct? If so, then Gus's problem with accuracy when passing on the move could be a problem.

I still love what Simis brings, with his mobility, ability to run, and athleticism. I can not believe that he has accuracy problems, from what I heard about him as a high school QB.

Where have you read/seen that Gus has problems with accuracy when passing on the move?

I think Stitt said in an interview that was something Gus needed to improve on. I am quite sure I read his quote accurately.

Needing to improve on something and having problems are really different points on the spectrum, IMHO. Trent McKinney had problems passing on the move. Gus "needs to improve"...

Accuracy, the best quarterbacks out there can throw darts and are not exactly speedy. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rodgers are very accurate passers and are not known for their mobility with the exception being Rodger. You can have the Michael Vicks, RG III, Colin Kaepernicks of the world give me someone who can throw the ball, that is a quarterback's job. If one remembers back, look at Trent Mckinney a couple years ago. Kid could run sure, but he couldn't throw the ball accurately 10 yards down field. Defenses figured this out pretty quick and started playing cover 1 downfield to take away the run. That's why Shay Smithwick Hann got the nod. If you can't throw you can't play quarterback.

grizaremoregooder said:
Accuracy, the best quarterbacks out there can throw darts and are not exactly speedy. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rodgers are very accurate passers and are not known for their mobility with the exception being Rodger. You can have the Michael Vicks, RG III, Colin Kaepernicks of the world give me someone who can throw the ball, that is a quarterback's job. If one remembers back, look at Trent Mckinney a couple years ago. Kid could run sure, but he couldn't throw the ball accurately 10 yards down field. Defenses figured this out pretty quick and started playing cover 1 downfield to take away the run. That's why Shay Smithwick Hann got the nod. If you can't throw you can't play quarterback.

Their accuracy would not be used well if they were not intelligent to make the proper reads. All those guys dissect a defense mentally before the snap, and set up their players in the right play. Both are important though.

mtgrizrule said:
grizaremoregooder said:

Their accuracy would not be used well if they were not intelligent to make the proper reads. All those guys dissect a defense mentally before the snap, and set up their players in the right play. Both are important though.

You are now getting into Kurt Warner "greatest show on turf" territory. Extreme physical and mental toughness and patience while waiting for the double moves etc. The total freakish accuracy and quick release. The friggen "skinny post" which was a staple of that offense where Kurt was a machine at completing. Kurt's intelligence and quick decision making was un-paralleled.....Of course he had Marshal Faulk, Isaac Bruce, Holt and Mike Martz. An absolute offensive freak show.....

grizaremoregooder said:

SSH could throw accurately? I must have missed that!

statler & waldorf said:
Why do I have this queezy feeling after reading this?

Maybe it's that Waldorf salad you've been feeding yourself the past three years. Or, it could be that you look like Craig Statler...... I am the walrus, cu cu catchu

grizaremoregooder said:
Accuracy, the best quarterbacks out there can throw darts and are not exactly speedy.

Drew Miller was a perfect example. He was slow as molasses, but he threw the best ball I've ever seen in a Griz passer, and he saw the field very well.

INTELLIGENCE. Smart guys win on the football field, business, or in any facet of life. You can't make quick throws without being able to process the information at a brisk pace. This applies pre-snap or after the ball has been hiked. I've watched all of the Billing West q.b's that have started at the UM in recent memory... extensively. Gus will be the 3rd. While they all possess different strengths, they were ALL excellent students. I'm not sure about all of this talk about running and accuracy? Gus will be just fine I.M.O. He lacks experience and reps in the offense. Afterall, Stitt has been quoted as saying this offense is based on "quick decisions". Sure, I'm a little biased because I said Gus would be a starter on egriz years ago. He also has one hell of an arm, I might add. ;) He'll learn to square up at the line of scrimmage (accuracy on the move)...you can count on it! Stitt has also been quoted as saying Gus is many lengths ahead of the field... :egriz:

Really!!! 2 pages in and no one has mentioned "Commitment", the moral fiber one was great though.
This should be pretty fun watching the opener, if Stitt can put some points on NDSU and make a game of it UM might just roll though the BSC. Great measuring stick for a new coach. If the Bison win big, that's probably nothing to be too sad about either, he will get better. I think he was a great hire by UM.

Modern era high school coaches have favored the "shotgun" in order to increase vision analysis. This has
impacted both actual and perceived (e.g.Osweiler-Bennett) mobility. 60s and 70s college and pro coaches wanted a canon and timed with a sun dial. Worst scenario back then was wishbone or veer for a talented athlete(e.g. svennungsen vs a kerr) or an x-high school coach who had a running QB offense (carlson) and was years behind the Stanford/BYU curve....Boise State bought in first I think. So, new offense may depend on rhythm and timing as much as anything. Personally, I prefer freezing linebackers on about 6 routes. Then, Red Zone looks very similar to way you got there.

OlPonyQB said:
Modern era high school coaches have favored the "shotgun" in order to increase vision analysis. This has
impacted both actual and perceived (e.g.Osweiler-Bennett) mobility. 60s and 70s college and pro coaches wanted a canon and timed with a sun dial. Worst scenario back then was wishbone or veer for a talented athlete(e.g. svennungsen vs a kerr) or an x-high school coach who had a running QB offense (carlson) and was years behind the Stanford/BYU curve....Boise State bought in first I think. So, new offense may depend on rhythm and timing as much as anything. Personally, I prefer freezing linebackers on about 6 routes. Then, Red Zone looks very similar to way you got there.

You wanna try that one again in English this time? :roll:

I thought I was reading a post made by Sid Caesar!

SIGHT is the most important quality in a quarterback. Obviously no one has ever heard of a blind qb, but what I am talking about is the sight to see the entire field every play! In the final analysis every other attribute mentioned is dependent on the qb's ability to see the field and then make his decision. All the rest is meaningless if you don't have a qb who can see the field, analyze the defense and make the decision that will move the ball downfield.

SeattleBobcat said:
This should be pretty fun watching the opener, if Stitt can put some points on NDSU and make a game of it UM might just roll though the BSC. Great measuring stick for a new coach. If the Bison win big, that's probably nothing to be too sad about either, he will get better. I think he was a great hire by UM.

Can't knock this. I'd say this is a good outlook for 2015.

Back