• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How to stop the triple-option

Atlanta Griz1

UM coaches have never seemed to be able to stop the triple-option offense. Paulsen could not do it, and Gregorak has not been able to do it. I have been watched the triple-option for many years, starting with the Grizzlies running it in 1969-70 under Swarthout, then watching Southern Georgia run it, then Southern Utah, and now Cal Poly. Yes, it is a very challenging offense to stop. But it can be done.

Here are the keys:

1) First, you have to tackle the dive back on EVERY PLAY. You commit a D-end or LB to tackle the dive back, with no regard for the other options. This forces the QB to explore the 2nd and 3rd option. Of these two, stopping the QB from running is the next most important thing.
2) To stop the 2nd part of the triple-option, you have to have very mobile and quick LBs, which is one of our assets.
3) Next, you should have a strong safety who is a good tackler, and is physical. We have that.
4) Third, if you can play man with your CBs on their outside receivers, it allows you to stack 8 players near the line of scrimmage to stop the option attack. You commit to stopping the option running game, and invite them to throw the football. Your free safety is very important in negating a successful passing attack. We are very young there with Rasmussen, which is a concern. But I like this kid a lot, and I think he may be up to the task.
4a) Last, we should employ well-disguised run-blitzes, which disrupt the timing of the triple-option and can also take out the lead blocking back for the possible pitch (3rd option). It is a crap shoot guess as to whether Poly runs the option to the left, or the right. But, if we guess correctly on the run-blitz, it can lead to a loss, or even a fumble. It should not be used all that often, because it can expose us to a huge gain if we guess wrong. But, I would show it a couple of times early in the game, to let Poly know that we will use it at times.
5) To stop the 3rd option (pitch), your need your CBs to be strong tacklers against the run. They must also be able to shed a block in order to force the pitch back to run inside instead of getting outside to the sidelines. I think Harris is capable of doing that, and I hope our #18 is also capable.
6) In our game last season versus Poly, we could not stop the second option. We need to make the adjustment to closing the QB down. Yes, Poly has a great running QB, but other teams were able to hold him in check. It can be done. Can Ty figure out how to do it? We'll see on Saturday.

ya some of us already read this...... :thumb:

plaigarize much?

http://www.dawgsports.com/2008/11/24/668152/defending-the-triple-optio

:oops:

Bear Axed said:

plaiagrize much?

I have never read that article, so STFU. I know this stuff because I am a student of the game. Just because I school you on football issues, you don't have to be a jerk. Of course, we all know that is your MO for me and your dreaded Bobcats.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Bear Axed said:

plaiagrize much?

I have never read that article, so STFU. I know this stuff because I am a student of the game. Just because I school you on football issues, you don't have to be a jerk. Of course, we all know that is your MO for me and your dreaded Bobcats.
sure stevie......Im sure he must have gotten it from you...... :roll:

All good points. Number 5 is the key IMO. It seems there's always that one extra guy the backfield needs to get but usually doesn't. The best defense I saw against one of the best run triple options was Georgia Southern against NDSU in 2012. The key for that win was Clayton Heigl's (CB) outstanding discipline and tackling.

Maybe one or two ferocious linebacker sandwiches on the QB, one low one high, from opposite directions and you have eliminated one of the options.

BornGrizz said:
All good points. Number 5 is the key IMO. It seems there's always that one extra guy the backfield needs to get but usually doesn't. The best defense I saw against one of the best run triple options was Georgia Southern against NDSU in 2012. The key for that win was Clayton Heigl's (CB) outstanding discipline and tackling.

i read that coach bohl had him stay back and watch the play develop and then went after the guy with the ball. spy approach.

Its gap assignment football. Do your job and expect your teammate to do his. Don't over pursue. And if you can rock the QB's world early in the game, those pitches will come out a tad bit earlier than normal which could lead to turnovers. And, as Atl said, have to stop the dive and don't let the QB gash you off of play action! :shock:

Hit them hard and hit them often, the FB, the RB's, and especially the QB, make him want to get rid of the ball quickly!

...much like last week...
...tyrone shuts down his side...
...they go one side one dimension...
...smackm' in the mouth game set match...

... :cool: ...

And if they block it right you can even score against Alabama
Georgia Southern from a couple years ago

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQ0vbYBvEw[/youtube]

Bronco said:
And if they block it right you can even score against Alabama
Georgia Southern from a couple years ago

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orQ0vbYBvEw[/youtube]

I think that's called "not stopping the first option" which is what UM couldn't really do last year. The fake FB dive QB follow is really just a variation on the first option. The Poly QB really didn't need to pitch the ball that much....

Hammer said:
Its gap assignment football. Do your job and expect your teammate to do his. Don't over pursue. And if you can rock the QB's world early in the game, those pitches will come out a tad bit earlier than normal which could lead to turnovers. And, as Atl said, have to stop the dive and don't let the QB gash you off of play action! :shock:

This more than anything. Not really that complicated. Blitz against triple option is typically not a good strategy. Blitzing, creates space, which is what these offenses thrive off of. Keep everything in front of you and take care of your assignment. Sound tackling will also be crucial. We did not tackle well last year.

Sam A. Blitz said:
Hammer said:

This more than anything. Not really that complicated. Blitz against triple option is typically not a good strategy. Blitzing, creates space, which is what these offenses thrive off of. Keep everything in front of you and take care of your assignment. Sound tackling will also be crucial. We did not tackle well last year.

Yep. Gonna have to clean up some of the tackling issues we saw Saturday. Having Gamboa back should help. Keeping KVA healthy the whole game will DEFINITELY help.

Sam A. Blitz said:
Hammer said:

I agree with Hammer that assignment football is the base to stop the option. However, an occasional run blitz from outside the tackles (usually by the strong safety) really disrupts their triple option, providing we guess correctly as to which side they run to option to. I have watched several Georgia/Georgia Tech games, and Georgia was very effective using this blitz against the Yellowjackets.

Bear Axed said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Bear Axed said:

plaiagrize much?

sure stevie......Im sure he must have gotten it from you...... :roll:

Must make you feel like a total dolt to read a thread with so many great comments discussing defensive football, and you without a clue on how to contribute except with internet art. Tool.

Back