• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3 reasons for and 3 reasons against an improved 2016 defense

Strahm could have a massive year for us at MLB. He's exactly what's needed to get the defense back to playing MEAN. Loves to hit, and Brint said it perfectly, he's a bully on the field. 1-2 personal fouls per game is worth the effect he has out there.

brewskis said:
Strahm could have a massive year for us at MLB. He's exactly what's needed to get the defense back to playing MEAN. Loves to hit, and Brint said it perfectly, he's a bully on the field. 1-2 personal fouls per game is worth the effect he has out there.

And notice the fouls he got last year were mostly in situations that didn't impact the outcome of the game. It wasn't on 3rd down plays, or in Montana territory. Many were intended to set the tone.

One of them was the last play of the first half. Reminded me of that NFL Films clip with Mike Singletary - "we gonna be here all day baby! We here all day! I like that kinda party!"

BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:

And notice the fouls he got last year were mostly in situations that didn't impact the outcome of the game. It wasn't on 3rd down plays, or in Montana territory. Many were intended to set the tone.
That's the way I was seeing it too. I hope we have several guys like him next year knocking players around. One knock I had on Gregorak's defense was it did lack the "mean" factor, very sound in the front 7...but not a dominating feel to the way we played.

brewskis said:
BWahlberg said:
brewskis said:

That's the way I was seeing it too. I hope we have several guys like him next year knocking players around. One knock I had on Gregorak's defense was it did lack the "mean" factor, very sound in the front 7...but not a dominating feel to the way we played.

Yeah. Hell yeah. Let's get everyone thinking about how to set the tone. You know - really dominate by piling up personal fouls. Morons. Why not play the game like it's supposed to be played and leave the thug shit for losers? Just because one of Strahms PF's didn't cause a loss doesn't mean it didn't cause problems for the team & coaches. And if it continues, it will cost a loss, and then run back here and tell everyone how proud you are of the player whose idiot move cost the Griz a win/playoff spot/NC.

bgbigdog said:
Yeah. Hell yeah. Let's get everyone thinking about how to set the tone. You know - really dominate by piling up personal fouls. Morons. Why not play the game like it's supposed to be played and leave the thug shit for losers? Just because one of Strahms PF's didn't cause a loss doesn't mean it didn't cause problems for the team & coaches. And if it continues, it will cost a loss, and then run back here and tell everyone how proud you are of the player whose idiot move cost the Griz a win/playoff spot/NC.
There's this thing called "middle ground".....not-so-mythical place where you can have your cake and eat it too.

Kind of like the shot Holmes took on EWU's QB VERY early in the game. He had happy feet the rest of the game.

Boy, the Grizzlies lost a lot of great players last season and they are going to be very, very green next season on the defensive side of the football. One area I see where they might actually be better is at the DT position. It seemed to me the Griz were really thin at DT last year depth wise and size wise. This didn't help the defense as a group (Cal Poly, Liberty, and Weber St. come to mind). The Griz signed 6'3" 270 Myles Mckee, 6'2" 285 Brandt Davidson, and had a verbal from Pedro Sibiea 6'3" 303 (obviously fell through). The loss of Jamal Wilson will sting a bit but all the other players will be older and stronger with another year in the weight room. Maybe the Griz will be a little more stout on 3rd and 1 or 2 next year.

AZGrizFan said:
Kind of like the shot Holmes took on EWU's QB VERY early in the game. He had happy feet the rest of the game.

EWU rotated three QBs in the game. At the start of every drive they drew straws to see which one had to go in and face that rush.

mtgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

EWU rotated three QBs in the game. At the start of every drive they drew straws to see which one had to go in and face that rush.
:lol: "Rotated". That's funny....usually they were getting their bell rung and HAD to be replaced....most fun I've had watching a game in YEARS. Well, except for being AT the NDSU victory.

brewskis said:
Oh, so Strahm is the designated enforcer/goon? Maybe other teams have one or two. How will that play out? You think other teams are subject to physical punishment more than the Griz?

To me, a personal foul means the player committed it either out of inability to play fairly or intentionally committing the foul. For what purpose? So, the Griz D holds the other team, only to lose its hard work by some idiot committing either an unintentional or (even worse) an intentional foul?

The game goes slow enough w/ all the timeouts for this or that, but to delay the game so the other team can march off 15 yards it hasn't earned? I'm sure losing 15 yards one way or the other has a debilitating effect on the other Griz players.

I write as an interested fan. Football is violent enough w/o personal fouls, which can also cause debilitating injury to a player. To encourage players to commit them is downright brutality. And, I'm sure any player committing a PF will have the officials' eyes on them.

Grizzoola said:
brewskis said:
Oh, so Strahm is the designated enforcer/goon? Maybe other teams have one or two. How will that play out? You think other teams are subject to physical punishment more than the Griz?

To me, a personal foul means the player committed it either out of inability to play fairly or intentionally committing the foul. For what purpose? So, the Griz D holds the other team, only to lose its hard work by some idiot committing either an unintentional or (even worse) an intentional foul?

The game goes slow enough w/ all the timeouts for this or that, but to delay the game so the other team can march off 15 yards it hasn't earned? I'm sure losing 15 yards one way or the other has a debilitating effect on the other Griz players.

I write as an interested fan. Football is violent enough w/o personal fouls, which can also cause debilitating injury to a player. To encourage players to commit them is downright brutality. And, I'm sure any player committing a PF will have the officials' eyes on them.
Strahm is a fierce and relentless competitor. The complete opposite of "timid and weak"....and our defense has gotten a bit timid over the last few years. Playing "not to make mistakes" other than playing to make plays. We need guys like Strahm to make us feared again on defense. Plus....1-2 personal fouls on our defensive unit per game is NOT THAT MUCH. It's worth it.

brewskis said:
Grizzoola said:
brewskis said:

Strahm is a fierce and relentless competitor. The complete opposite of "timid and weak"....and our defense has gotten a bit timid over the last few years. Playing "not to make mistakes" other than playing to make plays. We need guys like Strahm to make us feared again on defense. Plus....1-2 personal fouls on our defensive unit per game is NOT THAT MUCH. It's worth it.

Complete moron. I'm reporting myself. Go ahead, band me. F&@king morons. Guys like Strahm don't need to do any but play. Are you hearing yourself? Personal fouls are OK. Moron.

brewskis said:
Grizzoola said:

"Fierce, relentless competitor." Fine. Good, in fact. I agree the Griz D needs to be feared, but not get a reputation of playing dirty. I do not believe that if a player can't tackle/prevent another player w/o making a personal foul is a capable player. It just shows his inability (if unintended, of course) to make the play. I suspect football players, even at the HS level, learn well from their coaches how to make "dirty" plays w/o being caught.

Aqib Talib of the Broncos' D gave me fits w/ his personal fouls in the SB. It could well result in his being traded. Dirty play is not the way to play football at any level. That Hauck did it, despite my high opinion of him, does not change my remarks. BTW, where is Hauck now?

IIRC, when I was at UM 60 years ago, UM had losing teams, marked by excessive penalties. If you're getting penalized a lot, it means you have no talent. Personal fouls are the most dangerous fouls in football, a sport coming under increasing scrutiny because of the concussion problem, where I do not want to go in this discussion.

I am not trying to support getting personal fouls but sometimes these plays can be used as part of a strategy. Every football team has it's "enforcers" who are called on to control "things" so to speak. Their actions are similar to brush back pitches in baseball, hard fouls in basket ball and fights in hockey.... There is a "school of thought" that feels in game violence would be more out of hand if these "self regulating" plays didn't occur.....

I have never heard of a coach encouraging personal fouls. I don't think that is the way you want to play and win the game. Football allows you to impose your will on to someone without having to get flagged. Our most dominant defensive players at UM rarely were flagged for personal fouls and were still able to set a physical tone. Its usually the inadequate players or players who are getting beat that end up with the personal fouls.

SoldierGriz said:
Nicely done. I think your reasons against are a bit stronger than reasons for, but not by much.

One thing that can and should mitigate a small downturn in defensive performance is improved offensive consistency. If we can convert a higher rate of third downs, improve red zone efficiency, and keep our QB healthy...then defense will have a chance to mature.
This in a nutshell will determine the success of the UM football team next year. To paraphrase Coach Green, I have mixed feelings "it's like watching your mother in-law going over a cliff in your new Cadillac."

Sam A. Blitz said:
I have never heard of a coach encouraging personal fouls. I don't think that is the way you want to play and win the game. Football allows you to impose your will on to someone without having to get flagged. Our most dominant defensive players at UM rarely were flagged for personal fouls and were still able to set a physical tone. Its usually the inadequate players or players who are getting beat that end up with the personal fouls.

My point, exactly! :thumb:

Sam A. Blitz said:
I have never heard of a coach encouraging personal fouls. I don't think that is the way you want to play and win the game.

Before the 2008 or 2009 Griz-Cat game I sat in a QB Club meeting where Bobby Hauck told everyone he made his O-line promise to get at least 2 personal fouls. He also said he told Schann Schillenger who, "is the nicest guy on the team that he'd damned well better get a personal foul called on him."

Sometimes it's just a mental aspect of the game. I think if you go back and ask some of the big DOLA guys from Hauck's era they'll reflect upon their best personal fouls with fondness.

Back