• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Reese Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.
havgrizfan said:
Brint didn't say Chalich should be No. 2, he said he is currently No. 2 on the depth chart. Which is the truth. If you don't know Chalich is the No. 2 going into fall ball then you don't have any grasp of the Griz' depth chart whatsoever. There are no "should be's" Chad is No. 2 at the moment. Could that change? Yup, Reese certainly will be given every opportunity to win the backup job.

Dude, don't lecture me on what I know or don't know. Chalich is a bust, and everyone with a clue knows it. Maybe you don't. What's that tell us? He had his chance to start several games, and he is not the answer.

I know enough about Stitt that he has sold Brady as the starter so hard that he will wait too long to replace him. I want to ask you a serious question, since you are so damned high on Gus. As you remember, we threw lots and lots of short passes last season. They were a very high percentage of our passes thrown. Yet your boy only completed 57% of his passes, and had almost as many interceptions as TDs. Those stats ain't exactly reasons to cream in your tidy whites about a QB! Please tell me what I am missing..... :cool:

Here's what i KNOW. As of August 5th, 2016 Brady is the best quarterback on the Griz roster. And anyone who has been to practice, and spring ball, knows it. That's why I am high on BG. Because he is the Griz' best quarterback. He was last season, and he is this season. That's not putting down Reese Phillips. Phillips will do a great job starting for the Griz in 2017, and I predict the offense will hum right along with him too.

Do you ever realize how much you contradict yourself? You talk about how bad Brady sucked last year, over, and over, and over, like a broken record, and you rip Stitt for not yanking him. THEN, you rip Chalich to shreds too. Guess who was the backup last year before he got injured? CHAD F---ING CHALICH. So, essentially you're blasting Stitt for not pulling Brady against Cal Poly, (because after that, Gus was out anyway), for a guy you just called a BUST! Seriously, Wolfman, you do this to yourself all the time on this board. Like the backtracking you had to do last week with the Jordan Canada thing.

So let me ask you this. Since I answered your question honestley, What are your reasons Brady should NOT have been the QB1 last year against NDSU, Cal Poly, EWU, MSU, SDSU and NDSU. Those are the only games he played from start to finish. What are your reasons he shouldn't have won the starting job over Chalich (Bust) and Simis (now a WR) last August? And what are your reasons he shouldn't have been given the reigns back over Simis when his leg healed?

EverettGriz said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
havgrizfan said:
Growler, if you're so confident, take the bet I offered you. It's $50. I will even meet you at Hammer's tailgate the first game and he can hold the money so you KNOW you'll get paid if I lose the bet.

I will not bet with you, and told you why. I have a $100 bet with Brewski however.

Just because I know that Reese is the better QB, does not mean that Stitt knows it. He has been selling Brady publicly since last year, so he will go down with the ship with him, until the mast starts to take on water, before bringing in Reese. I can tell you that Reese did not transfer to UM to ride the pine. He fully expects to win the job.

By the way, please call me by my real name.... Wolfman

Seriously Growler/AZ/SeattleGriz/47otherbandnames?!?!? I mean, you post stupid shit dozens of times a day. But are you actually suggesting that a DI head football coach -- whose job depends on winning -- will not play his best quarterback due to pride after talking up his number one QB??

Pride? Probably not. But some coaches just don't make the right decision on QB talent. I am not saying that this applies to Stitt and the current Griz QB battle but coaches at one time or another overlooked Warner, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson and Romo. History has proven that
coaches make a lot of mistakes. So yes, the better player can be sitting on the bench.

Was Phillips in Zoo for spring ball? Last year it seemed BG was way ahead of everyone else as far as being a pure passer and good decision maker. Although, I liked what I saw from Simis I though he would be a really good QB in the future. I realize Stitt is trying to build a wrecking ball of a team to topple NDSU, but I was kinda surprised at the end of last season when he sorta pulled an Ash and called out BG. Then in comes Phillips, Now when you get a FBS transfer you sort of assume that they will compete for the starting role right away, but from reading this thread it sounds like he's 3rd string right now!? Is that true? How big is the gap on the depth chart?

With all the moves Stitt has made in the off season, all the new faces, your team is getting hard to follow. I think that may work to the advantage for a while, but do any of you worry about continuity within the team with all the new guys?

havgrizfan said:
Here's what i KNOW. As of August 5th, 2016 Brady is the best quarterback on the Griz roster. And anyone who has been to practice, and spring ball, knows it. That's why I am high on BG. Because he is the Griz' best quarterback. He was last season, and he is this season. That's not putting down Reese Phillips. Phillips will do a great job starting for the Griz in 2017, and I predict the offense will hum right along with him too.

Do you ever realize how much you contradict yourself? You talk about how bad Brady sucked last year, over, and over, and over, like a broken record, and you rip Stitt for not yanking him. THEN, you rip Chalich to shreds too. Guess who was the backup last year before he got injured? CHAD F---ING CHALICH. So, essentially you're blasting Stitt for not pulling Brady against Cal Poly, (because after that, Gus was out anyway), for a guy you just called a BUST! Seriously, Wolfman, you do this to yourself all the time on this board. Like the backtracking you had to do last week with the Jordan Canada thing.

So let me ask you this. Since I answered your question honestley, What are your reasons Brady should NOT have been the QB1 last year against NDSU, Cal Poly, EWU, MSU, SDSU and NDSU. Those are the only games he played from start to finish. What are your reasons he shouldn't have won the starting job over Chalich (Bust) and Simis (now a WR) last August? And what are your reasons he shouldn't have been given the reigns back over Simis when his leg healed?

You misquote me routinely, and are not an honest poster. That's why I would NEVER bet with you!

I have NEVER been a Chalich supporter. Go back and read my posts before you spew garbage. I was a Simis supporter. And, Simis is still a better QB than Chalich, but Stitt's system is not a fit for his skills. If he played for Portland State, or North Dakota, or Sac. State, he would start over their current QB.

Finally, you are a dope if you are using spring football to evaluate Phillips. Would you think that Brady would look like a stud QB his first spring in learning this offense? Why do you expect Reese to excel in spring ball? you don't have the knowledge, obviously, to compare the skill sets of Reese versus Brady. If you did, Reese is better than Brady in every aspect except arm strength (highly overrated anyway), and perhaps book smarts. Reese is way more instinctive in the pocket based on his high school videos. And he is better at every other quality I mentioned earlier in this thread.

STOP MISQUOTING ME!

Seattle, as far as Phillips was concerned, yes, he was enrolled and competed in spring ball. He started slow, but really picked up steam towards the end. Everyone can see his talent, he's obviously skilled, BUT, he also hasn't played QB much for almost two years because of injury, then being buried on the depth chart at UK. So, he had and still has plenty of catching up to do, and it's my feeling, BG just isn't gonna allow that gap to be closed, hence the battle between Phillips and Chalich for the No. 2 job.

As for continuity, I am hearing it's better, not worse. There is a lot of new faces, but there is also a huge core group of kids who came the last three years as part of big recruiting classes, and they are very cohesive, and are really promoting the idea amongst each other that it's their turn now. A lot of kind of the legendary leaders, Tripp, Coyle, Wags, JJ, Holmes, Van Ackeren, ect, taught them a lot and they are gone now. I just know I'm hearing a lot about team unity this offseason, and it's all good, not negative.

I called you Wolfman and you didn't even have the courtesy to answer my question, even though I answered yours.

Edit: And Simis would not start over Kuresa at PSU. But don't take my word for it, ask McKenna himself what he thinks of Kureca.

SeattleBobcat said:
Was Phillips in Zoo for spring ball? Last year it seemed BG was way ahead of everyone else as far as being a pure passer and good decision maker. Although, I liked what I saw from Simis I though he would be a really good QB in the future. I realize Stitt is trying to build a wrecking ball of a team to topple NDSU, but I was kinda surprised at the end of last season when he sorta pulled an Ash and called out BG. Then in comes Phillips, Now when you get a FBS transfer you sort of assume that they will compete for the starting role right away, but from reading this thread it sounds like he's 3rd string right now!? Is that true? How big is the gap on the depth chart?

With all the moves Stitt has made in the off season, all the new faces, your team is getting hard to follow. I think that may work to the advantage for a while, but do any of you worry about continuity within the team with all the new guys?

Good observations. I think Stitt is feeling the pressure to "Win Now". His first season was less than stellar, and there are already rumblings among many of the Griz fans I know about his coaching ability. These people would not waste their time posting on egriz, but I can assure you that egriz is a mere microcosm of Griz Nation, and does not reflect what many fans believe.

havgrizfan said:
I called you Wolfman and you didn't even have the courtesy to answer my question, even though I answered yours.

Edit: And Simis would not start over Kuresa at PSU. But don't take my word for it, ask McKenna himself what he thinks of Kureca.

Why, because Kureca has a real offensive line with a TE and a blocking back to have an effective offense in a rain storm, and Simis had to try to run the ball with Stitt's one-dimensional offense? :?

havgrizfan said:
Seattle, as far as Phillips was concerned, yes, he was enrolled and competed in spring ball. He started slow, but really picked up steam towards the end. Everyone can see his talent, he's obviously skilled, BUT, he also hasn't played QB much for almost two years because of injury, then being buried on the depth chart at UK. So, he had and still has plenty of catching up to do, and it's my feeling, BG just isn't gonna allow that gap to be closed, hence the battle between Phillips and Chalich for the No. 2 job.

As for continuity, I am hearing it's better, not worse. There is a lot of new faces, but there is also a huge core group of kids who came the last three years as part of big recruiting classes, and they are very cohesive, and are really promoting the idea amongst each other that it's their turn now. A lot of kind of the legendary leaders, Tripp, Coyle, Wags, JJ, Holmes, Van Ackeren, ect, taught them a lot and they are gone now. I just know I'm hearing a lot about team unity this offseason, and it's all good, not negative.

First of all, Phillips was the victim at Kentucky of being injured for two years, and that let other QBs move ahead of him, including a highly-touted 4-star QB (Drew Barker, #6 ranked pro-style QB in 2014). It had nothing to do with a lack of talent, believe me. My son is a Georgia grad, lives in Atlanta, and an avid SEC football fan (as avid as you are about the Big Sky). He has contacts at Kentucky, which is one reason I am so high on Phillips. This kid can play, and you will eat some crow when he is able to show his stuff this fall.

No Growler, you're high on Phillips, so that when he doesn't win the starting job, you have ammo to continue your anit-Stitt crusade. The funny thing is, you don't need ammo man. Everyone here knows you are going to bash Stitt regardless. You don't need Phillips holding a clip board to do that. And what I mean is this. In your fantasy world, let's just say Phillips shocks everyone and wins the starting job, and after the Griz wax Saint Francis, they go to UNI and Cal Poly and get beat. After all, UNI is a Top 5 team, and Poly has the Griz' number, no matter who the damn head coach is. Let's say Phillips throws for a 300 average, a couple picks and is below 60 percent completion percentage. You will march right back on here and tell us all how Stitt has to be fired three games in because his offense is all wrong for Reece. You will bash the o-line, and bash Stitt for his piss poor recruiting, and how the lack of Montana farm boys on the o-line is getting Reece killed back there. You will bash Stitt for not cutting John Nyguen, and you will bash Stitt for being a gimmick, and that Reese knows more about football than he does because he was recruited to play in the SEC.

And while that might all sound like a hypothetical, the only thing actually hypothetical is Phillips winning the starting job out of fall camp. That hasn't happened yet, but the rest of my scenario are all things you've already said to us. You see Wolfman where I'm going with this? You don't need Reese to start or not start to show us how much you dislike and think Stitt is a piss poor coach. You don't need anybody to carry that mantle or prove anything for you. We ALL believe you when you tell us how bad you think Bob Stitt is all by yourself! You don't think Stitt is a good coach. We get it already. Just like we got it with Bobby, Pflu and Mick too.

Also Growler, what really bothers you the most is, no one listens to you. No one at the University of Montana, I mean, the people who actually make decisions, and get paid for it, care what you, or your friends who don't post here think of Bob Stitt's coaching abilities. They just don't, and that has never, ever sat well with you. You want Montana to be like you think Alabama or Michigan is, where it's perceived that boosters do the hiring and firing. Hence, your legendary statue post from many years ago. But, it isn't like that here. It's just not, and it's not going to be. Kent Haslam doesn't want your opinion on Stitt, just like O'Day didn't want your opinion on Bobby Hauck. And they didn't and don't want mine either. The difference between me and you is, I'm totally OK with that. And you're not. It eats you up that you don't get the opportunity to be like those perceived guys pulling the strings at places like Alabama, Michigan and USC. Where me, no matter how much money I spend, or whatever connections I think i might have with UM football, I can live with not getting to pull any strings. I can live with it because It's called reality.

do any of you worry about continuity within the team with all the new guys?

With what I'm seeing and hearing this summer? Not a bit. And truth be told, I believe it helps having Ty gone. I think his presence created division in the locker room last year.

Hav:
You know that I like you as a poster but be careful that you don't approach 75's style of verbosity......

Hav just mushroom-bruised Dill. Hard.
Handed him his ass. Which is odd, because Growler is used to handing his own ass.
Bravo, Hav. Great stuff. :clap: :clap:

EverettGriz said:
Seriously Growler/AZ/SeattleGriz/47otherbandnames?!?!? I mean, you post stupid shit dozens of times a day. But are you actually suggesting that a DI head football coach -- whose job depends on winning -- will not play his best quarterback due to pride after talking up his number one QB??
Glenn didn't play his best QB in '01 (reasons other than pride), but oops, won the NC anyhow. Defense, defense.

EverettGriz said:

With what I'm seeing and hearing this summer? Not a bit. And truth be told, I believe it helps having Ty gone. I think his presence created division in the locker room last year.

First time I've heard that. Ya, I've heard from a bunch of you now that Ty's gone..... that he sucked and was holding your defense back, but everything I've seen from all the current and ex griz players is that they all absolutely loved him. If you're saying that there were differences between the defense and the offense, go ahead and follow ANY division 1 team in the country during Fall camp. I promise you, without a doubt, every single one of them will have fights between the offense and defense during practice. Secondly, every D1 team in the country is telling the world that Summer workouts are going awesome and team chemistry is kick ass right now. What else are they going to say, post, tweet, etc???

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

First time I've heard that. Ya, I've heard from a bunch of you now that Ty's gone..... that he sucked and was holding your defense back, but everything I've seen from all the current and ex griz players is that they all absolutely loved him. If you're saying that there were differences between the defense and the offense, go ahead and follow ANY division 1 team in the country during Fall camp. I promise you, without a doubt, every single one of them will have fights between the offense and defense during practice. Secondly, every D1 team in the country is telling the world that Summer workouts are going awesome and team chemistry is kick ass right now. What else are they going to say, post, tweet, etc???

Look, you guys own the train wreck now. For someone here as often as you - I am certain you've seen posts about issues and tg in the locker room. I have absolutely zero personal info about it...but plenty has been posted about it. You guys seem to be embracing him, which you should. If choate can keep loane from choking tg out, your defense will improve. It cannot possibly get worse...

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

I can't remember how many years Ty coached here, but in reality very few of his former players responded and supported him. Whether you want to believe it or not, sugar coat it what ever, it's the facts. Time will tell how he works out for you, rumor has it he's already caused a couple of situations that don't build chemistry. He's coached a lot of kids here, I was actually surprised he didn't have more support from former players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back