• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Whye does Brady...?

66volvo

Always need to clap his hands just before the ball is hiked to him? Seems that any defense can time his claps with the snap and disrupt the play easily with a half step on the O line. Is that some kind of signal or something? Does the QB coach (Selle) give that as an assignment or is that just his style? Drives me crazy. Even my wife cringes every time he steps into the "gun" and telegraphs the snap with "THE CLAP". Enlighten me...

I bet more than 50% of current college football teams use this method to trigger the snap. I'll admit I have absolutely no idea whye....

Almost all teams use it. I think it may have started at Fresno St. the line can hear it no matter the crowd noise. It's stupid when they use the same # of claps every time...a lot will mix up the #.

He's far from the only QB to do that. Some of the NFL ones do too. As for why any of them do it, I don't really know.

They use it so the QB can get a sense of rhythm, although Steve Martin in the "Jerk" comes to mind.

No I don't know.

I just want to know why he licks his fingers so much. Never seen anyone do that as much as he does pre snap. My wife kept yelling at the TV SAT that maybe he was licking them too much and making the ball slip. Until she noticed it I never did. Now I can't stop seeing it

ALWAYS the 1st clap. NDSU was in our backfield before our o-line reacted in the playoff game last year.

Mix that crap up.

GRZFTBL said:
ALWAYS the 1st clap. NDSU was in our backfield before our o-line reacted in the playoff game last year.

Mix that crap up.

THIIIIIIISSSS..

If I were the DC,I'd coach the players up--to use their peripheral/field of vision, eyeball the ball/QB movements and fire across the line accordingly.

Source: I played the game as a Deaf athlete. Had to rely on my eyes, low center of gravity and good tackling techniques.

RayWill said:
I just want to know why he licks his fingers so much. Never seen anyone do that as much as he does pre snap. My wife kept yelling at the TV SAT that maybe he was licking them too much and making the ball slip. Until she noticed it I never did. Now I can't stop seeing it

You know where that ball has been?

CV Griz Fan said:
Ok. We've reached a new low on thread topics.....

NO disrespect intended, but I humbly disagree. I haven't laughed this much at a thread in I don't know how long!!!!!!! Thanks gents........... :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb:

Fushiznitz said:
It's better than lifting your leg, and looking like you are ripping a fart on TV?

I thought those quarterbacks were just marking their territory?? I think it's a legit topic... And if you want to know whye... It's because it undoubtedly telegraph's the snap... There's always the chance we could get them to jump on a rare occasion by not snapping it on the clap... But it seems like it would be more beneficial to keep the opposing defense guessing on EVERY down wouldn't it? As far as the excessive licking... A dude's got to do what a dude's got to do to get the "O" move'n sometimes. :lol:

There were at least half a dozen times in the NAU game where Brady clapped and then looked to the sideline for a plu call. The snap doesn't always happen on a single snap. But in general it does.

Back