• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If Stitt ends up a bust next season, who would you hire?

George Ferguson said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
Because he had a sub par year and is not getting much support and boosters may not donate as much if they do because it would piss off alot of people. Thats why.

If Haslem thought they would not approve, he would never have started the process. It does not bode well for an AD to proceed with an extension for a coach and have it declined. He has already talked with the members of the BOR and knows how it will go. The caveat would be if they decide to table it until a new President is on board, but from what I have heard, this will most likely not be the case.
The BOR is not considering a Stitt contract extension nor has Haslam asked for one.

Says Growler, who produced an "e-mail repsonse" where interestingly, the Commissioner of Higher Education spelled Haslam's name wrong. LOL.
Says me.

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
Because he had a sub par year and is not getting much support and boosters may not donate as much if they do because it would piss off alot of people. Thats why.

If Haslem thought they would not approve, he would never have started the process. It does not bode well for an AD to proceed with an extension for a coach and have it declined. He has already talked with the members of the BOR and knows how it will go. The caveat would be if they decide to table it until a new President is on board, but from what I have heard, this will most likely not be the case.
The BOR is not considering a Stitt contract extension nor has Haslam asked for one.

Wait, George Foreman (Havgriz) posted just the opposite...the extension was waiting their action. I just don't know who to trust anymore on the internet. Sad really. :lol:
I trust the Commissioner of the BOR.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
BillingsMafia said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Why wouldn't they? My guess is they approve a 1 year extension and then revisit when they hire a new President.

At this point, I would hope that to be the case.

With the level of compensation UM is able to pay a coach, not to mention the current problems, it may be difficult to attract anyone better than Stitt.
Certainly, I don't think he should be given an extension beyond his three year contract until Haslam can be shown definite improvement by Stitt.

While I am clearly not in the inner circle, I would find it incomprehensible for an AD to recommend an extension for a sitting coach with a year left on his contract before the existing season was over! If that is the case, then Kent Haslem should be concerned about his job!

Having said that i would have no problem with a staff with Bobby Hauck as HC/ST, Robin Flugrad as OC, Justin Green as QB & RB, and Tim Hauck as DC. That would be a pretty good staff!

I am already.....writing the next 2......seasons off......I see no way......the Griz do better......than 6-5.....next season......to many questions.....much more difficult schedule......and the following season......will be a new staff........trying to utilize......Stitt's recruits in.....another new system.........

Gaeilge1 said:
While I am clearly not in the inner circle, I would find it incomprehensible for an AD to recommend an extension for a sitting coach with a year left on his contract before the existing season was over! If that is the case, then Kent Haslem should be concerned about his job!

Having said that i would have no problem with a staff with Bobby Hauck as HC/ST, Robin Flugrad as OC, Justin Green as QB & RB, and Tim Hauck as DC. That would be a pretty good staff!

And you are.....on crack....if you think......Bobby.....or Robin.....will ever be....on the Griz.....sidelines again.......

GBox - this isn't a criticism about your content but could you please consider getting rid of the ............................... between phrases. What useful purpose does it serve when other tools in the English language accomplish the same thing; i.e separating sentences and phrases. It just irritates me for some reason.

sdk.catfish said:
GBox - this isn't a criticism about your content but could you please consider getting rid of the ............................... between phrases. What useful purpose does it serve when other tools in the English language accomplish the same thing; i.e separating sentences and phrases. It just irritates me for some reason.

you bet!!!!!!!!!!!catfish,,,,,,,,,,,anything**********for^^^^^^^you////////

OK Gbox. I was just trying to express that if you have opinions, and your delivery mechanism is less than effective, then you are kind of wasting your time. Hopefully this is not indicative of your UM (maybe), high school, or grade school written communication skills.

While Box maybe right on Pflu, I think a major impediment for their return has been eliminated with Engstrom's departure. Don't think the head job is likely to become open soon, and not more likely than not after next year either. But it could then. Can't see Stitt hiring Pflu, as I don't think they know each other and Stitt seems to like his own guys. Assume he'd be very picky if he hired an OC. Assume Hauck is doing well at SDS, and someone once said he might have a shot at head coach there if the job ever opened up. However, Bobby is a true Montana guy. It's my belief that he would have come back when Delaney retired. So, I wouldn't rule out Bobby being at least seriously interested. It all seems to be a longshot, but not likely.

Don't believe Hauck had any significant player behavior issues at UNLV, but don't know for sure. Pflu hasn't had any. Don't know of any issues regarding Pflu or Hauck that came out after they left. No other shoe dropped. In fact, in my view, Pflu was exonerated on a number of things. Johnson acquitted, played 2 more years, and got a good settlement from UM. None of the group blow job guys who got attorneys lost their UM cases, and all of them were allowed to graduate. Nothing came of any of the known athlete-related investigations, to my knowledge. The taser guys pleaded no contest to disorderly contact. Pflu wasn't found by UM to have violated any policies. Can't see how Pflu gets blamed for the 2 main major infractions in the ncaa investigation, i.e. a mom paying a few hundred to bail out two players at the grandpa's request and being paid back in a week, and a law firm not controlled by UM doing a small amount of work for 2 players as they were evaluating setting up a plaintiffs contingency fee claim. The ncaa investigation was not fought properly, and Engstrom/UM agreed to too much stuff/penalty. Donaldson was not Pflu's recruit, and the incident happened early in Pflu's tenure at UM as head coach (and not reported for 16 months). Donaldson pled, and did his time. No blame can be assessed again Pflu there. In much of this, the person not doing a good job and allowing problems to get bigger, was actually Engstom.

Bisonfanatical said:
MikeyGriz said:
He'd never take the job, but I would hire Dave Dickenson.
Actually makes sense

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately he'd have to take about a 60% pay cut and probably get a divorce, since his wife does not want to leave Canada.

Ursus1 said:
Royce gone.... Stitt's stress level just went up....next year is even more important now since new president has no direct ties to Haslam or Stitt hires. Might have far different views of where the program is headed and a complete different group of "advisors"

That actually argues for keeping Stitt for a while. Doubt if a new prez hired July 1 would like to start off with a media circus surrounding firing the football coach. If the new prez is smart at all, there won't be any dramatic changes at UM for at least a couple of years.

PlayerRep said:
While Box maybe right on Pflu, I think a major impediment for their return has been eliminated with Engstrom's departure. Don't think the head job is likely to become open soon, and not more likely than not after next year either. But it could then. Can't see Stitt hiring Pflu, as I don't think they know each other and Stitt seems to like his own guys. Assume he'd be very picky if he hired an OC. Assume Hauck is doing well at SDS, and someone once said he might have a shot at head coach there if the job ever opened up. However, Bobby is a true Montana guy. It's my belief that he would have come back when Delaney retired. So, I wouldn't rule out Bobby being at least seriously interested. It all seems to be a longshot, but not likely.

Don't believe Hauck had any significant player behavior issues at UNLV, but don't know for sure. Pflu hasn't had any. Don't know of any issues regarding Pflu or Hauck that came out after they left. No other shoe dropped. In fact, in my view, Pflu was exonerated on a number of things. Johnson acquitted, played 2 more years, and got a good settlement from UM. None of the group blow job guys who got attorneys lost their UM cases, and all of them were allowed to graduate. Nothing came of any of the known athlete-related investigations, to my knowledge. The taser guys pleaded no contest to disorderly contact. Pflu wasn't found by UM to have violated any policies. Can't see how Pflu gets blamed for the 2 main major infractions in the ncaa investigation, i.e. a mom paying a few hundred to bail out two players at the grandpa's request and being paid back in a week, and a law firm not controlled by UM doing a small amount of work for 2 players as they were evaluating setting up a plaintiffs contingency fee claim. The ncaa investigation was not fought properly, and Engstrom/UM agreed to too much stuff/penalty. Donaldson was not Pflu's recruit, and the incident happened early in Pflu's tenure at UM as head coach (and not reported for 16 months). Donaldson pled, and did his time. No blame can be assessed again Pflu there. In much of this, the person not doing a good job and allowing problems to get bigger, was actually Engstom.

Thank you PlayerRep for your summation. I wholeheartedly agree. In retrospect, the real "thugs" were Pat Williams and Royce Engstrom.

PlayerRep said:

Good post. Question PR? Given that RE is leaving let's assume that past wrongs could be righted, would you support bringing
back Pflu and O'Day tomorrow? In essence, moving on from Haslam and Stitt......If you had control, would you do it?

umwsufan said:
PlayerRep said:

Thank you PlayerRep for your summation. I wholeheartedly agree. In retrospect, the real "thugs" were Pat Williams and Royce Engstrom.
YES!!!!!!

I hope Stitt stays for a long time

But if he doesn't, you should consider:
Paul Wulff
Paul Petrino (if available)
Brian Johnson (youngest OC in Utah history and Dak Prescott's QB coach at MSU)
Hauck, but I think that ship has sailed
Dan Hawkins, after he proves himself in the Big Sky
Tim Cramsey
Jay Hill
Ikaika Malloe (build a poly pipeline)

Blgs Griz Fan said:
I think the best direction would be for the AD to advertise and recruit for the position and not to get on the telephone and call a lower level coach that had been lobbied for by a previous coach. I do not think the hiring of Stitt was done in a conventional manner and that needs to be addressed and corrected.

I think the first thing would be to get a new AD that knows how to recruit - for all head coach positions - at this level.

Back