• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bob Stitt pre-spring camp press conference

If the o-line may be 4 seniors and presumably Sprunk, what happened to all the hotshot young o-lineman who are touted frequently on this board? Is there really going to be great improvement? Just asking. I don't know and have zero inside info.

I liked seeing the comment about d-line depth. That's one hole apparently filled. I assume depth equates to having a good d-line, but I guess that's not quite what he said.

I like that the 5 pillars are being kept internal. Fans don't need to know everything going on.
If the coaches and players buy into it and it is something that motivates for the entire season then great.
If the five pillars were made public it would just be more fuel for fans to point out where the team had a shortcoming or point out that it was a bad idea.

All that said someone will post what the five pillars are before the end of spring ball, so i guess we will all know soon enough lol

I thought the O and D loved each other at the start of last season, TG the troublemaker was gone, and team unity and motivation were at an all time high. What happened? Why do we need 5 pillars now? Why did it take till the 3d season to find 5 pillars? I'm all for whatever it takes, but wish things had been good and improved by last season. Could it have possible been that I was in fact right when I worried late last spring or early summer, that bringing in tons of new players and transfers, running off a bunch of players, and giving special opportunities for new and younger players to replace upperclassmen including the friends of starting upperclassmen, could be a recipe for not having team unity or having locker room problems?

PlayerRep said:
If the o-line may be 4 seniors and presumably Sprunk, what happened to all the hotshot young o-lineman who are touted frequently on this board? Is there really going to be great improvement? Just asking. I don't know and have zero inside info.

I liked seeing the comment about d-line depth. That's one hole apparently filled. I assume depth equates to having a good d-line, but I guess that's not quite what he said.

The OL statement I took as coach speak. I really have no idea on where that group is at, but typically if a senior is competing for a spot with an underclassman they are the starter going into spring ball. I think there will be more competition at those OL spots than there has been in a long time. A lot of that has to do with improved depth and these youngsters development. Will it translate into improvement in this group is the million dollar question. To me, improved performance of the OL this year will be the biggest factor, even more-so than the QB position. IMO, championships will elude us until dominant OL play returns.

PlayerRep said:
I thought the O and D loved each other at the start of last season, TG the troublemaker was gone, and team unity and motivation were at an all time high. What happened? Why do we need 5 pillars now? Why did it take till the 3d season to find 5 pillars? but wish things had been good and improved by last season. Could it have possible been that I was in fact right when I worried late last spring or early summer, that bringing in tons of new players and transfers, running off a bunch of players, and giving special opportunities for new and younger players to replace upperclassmen including the friends of starting upperclassmen, could be a recipe for not having team unity or having locker room problems?

Could it have possible been that I was in fact right when I worried late last spring or early summer, that bringing in tons of new players and transfers, running off a bunch of players,

Didn't hauck do something similiar when he was coach?
[/color]
and giving special opportunities for new and younger players to replace upperclassmen

Shouldn't all players be given a chance to start?

I'm all for whatever it takes,

Are you?

Not throwing shade at you PR just these couple of sentences caught my eye.

PlayerRep said:
I thought the O and D loved each other at the start of last season, TG the troublemaker was gone, and team unity and motivation were at an all time high. What happened? Why do we need 5 pillars now? Why did it take till the 3d season to find 5 pillars? I'm all for whatever it takes, but wish things had been good and improved by last season. Could it have possible been that I was in fact right when I worried late last spring or early summer, that bringing in tons of new players and transfers, running off a bunch of players, and giving special opportunities for new and younger players to replace upperclassmen including the friends of starting upperclassmen, could be a recipe for not having team unity or having locker room problems?

all we know are the facts,,,,1.last year we limped to the finish of the season. 2. stitt felt a need to bring up this point this season "one for all and all for one" type thing regarding the team......I believe p.r. has hit on something here that is very plausible imo.

There should be six pillars. An odd number of pillars is a problem waiting to happen!

6pillars_cover-1.jpg

Team that blocks the best, tackles the best, throws the best, and catches the best usually wins. Guess the fifth pillars must be kicks the best.

AllWeatherFan said:
There should be six pillars. An odd number of pillars is a problem waiting to happen!

6pillars_cover-1.jpg

My goodness aren't you on a roll today. Drug & alcohol induced? Impressive none the less :thumb:

Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:
I thought the O and D loved each other at the start of last season, TG the troublemaker was gone, and team unity and motivation were at an all time high. What happened? Why do we need 5 pillars now? Why did it take till the 3d season to find 5 pillars? but wish things had been good and improved by last season. Could it have possible been that I was in fact right when I worried late last spring or early summer, that bringing in tons of new players and transfers, running off a bunch of players, and giving special opportunities for new and younger players to replace upperclassmen including the friends of starting upperclassmen, could be a recipe for not having team unity or having locker room problems?

Could it have possible been that I was in fact right when I worried late last spring or early summer, that bringing in tons of new players and transfers, running off a bunch of players,

[/color]
and giving special opportunities for new and younger players to replace upperclassmen

Are you?

Don't think Hauck brought in a bunch of new players and transfers or ran off a bunch of players. He did tell the starters that they had to earn their positions again, and pissed them off.

There's a big difference between giving people opportunities to start--as opposed to moving newcomers in front of returners and giving lots of reps to newcomers over returners. Note the special opportunities part of my statement.

Yup, I'm all for whatever it takes, but if a coach does what I said may have been done (and I don't know for sure what Stitt did), then the coach runs the risk of issues in the locker room and on the field. I pretty much defer to the coaches. Their teams, they get to run them. But I get to discuss in the internet and in the bars.

There should be 3 more pillars: one for the OC, one for the DC and one for the STC. These are the gentlemen charged with teaching the student athletes and should be held accountable.

PlayerRep said:
Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:

[/color]

Are you?

Don't think Hauck brought in a bunch of new players and transfers or ran off a bunch of players. He did tell the starters that they had to earn their positions again, and pissed them off.

There's a big difference between giving people opportunities to start--as opposed to moving newcomers in front of returners and giving lots of reps to newcomers over returners. Note the special opportunities part of my statement.

Yup, I'm all for whatever it takes, but if a coach does what I said may have been done (and I don't know for sure what Stitt did), then the coach runs the risk of issues in the locker room and on the field. I pretty much defer to the coaches. Their teams, they get to run them. But I get to discuss in the internet and in the bars.

Haha - that was pretty funny PR, made me chuckle :thumb:

sdk.catfish said:
by HookedonGriz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:16 pm

sdk.catfish wrote: ↑Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:46 pm
Q: Did they build identifiable goals?

A: Yes but not something they really packaged to be a public motto. Coach Nicholson has incorporated them into the weight room and made them obvious but putting them on a t-shirt only goes so far, players have to believe and live these goals.
Is there any way, with all you insiders, to discover just what these identifiable goals are? I don't care about a public motto, I would like to know what the goals for the season are for Stitt, coaching staff and team, so we can examine accountability at the end of the season. Is this too much to ask?
If you watched the conference, he referenced a new idea or theme of "5 Pillars" to build team goals and unity around. He said they don't need to go public with it as it's an internal motivator and something he needs the kids to buy into and make a part of the culture. Sounds like they even created teams around these 5 pillars and assigned each kid into one of the five groups.

Typically goals without metrics (i.e. measurable goals) are just wishes. Without more information I won't opine on the "5 Pillars" concept but if that is what they are developing the team around it would be interesting to know what the pillars are, and what the action items associated with those pillars are. Doesn't sound much different than the typical goals, objectives and action items associated with most strategic planning efforts to me.

One may have some broad goals or objectives which may or may not be win related and "pillars" may be as good as any other method to define those. For example one goal (or pillar) may be to win a conference championship but another could be to give quality effort each and every quarter of every game.

There is no need to associate a specific won/loss record with a goal of winning a conference championship. Obviously we need to have a better record than last year to do so. Both the above goals could have specific action items such as improve the yards per catch ratio on both sides of the ball or decrease the number of penalty yardage by 15%. Several on this forum have analysed last year's statistics and there is ample room for measurable improvement. What I'm saying is that quality accountable leadership means developing measurable actions for improvement and I didn't really see (haven't listened to it yet) that from this synopsis of the initial press conference. Maybe it will come later.

Wow, took a while but I got it.
How about my team can beat your team cause were bigger, stronger and want to.
The 3 pillars.

mondayamqb said:
Team that blocks the best, tackles the best, throws the best, and catches the best usually wins. Guess the fifth pillars must be kicks the best.

This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains.....

Wait... Sorry... Wrong game...

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mavman said:
PlayerRep said:

[/color]

Are you?

It's also true, at least for me. I don't complain or provide input to the athletic department or coaches about anything, other than occasionally tiny things, like why doesn't the person administering the QB Club send out emails each week or can anything be done to make the internet better during football games. I know a number of the athletic dept. people and coaches. I socialize with some. I ask them questions. But no complaining or suggestions for them from me, and no emails to them from me. None of them tell me how to practice law or run my business either.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mavman said:

[/color]

Are you?

It's also true, at least for me. I don't complain or provide input to the athletic department or coaches about anything, other than occasionally tiny things, like why doesn't the person administering the QB Club send out emails each week or can anything be done to make the internet better during football games. I know a number of the athletic dept. people and coaches. I socialize with some. I ask them questions. But no complaining or suggestions for them from me, and no emails to them from me. None of them tell me how to practice law or run my business either.

But many get to discuss on the internet and in the bars. :D

Well since Sharia Law is outlawed in MT we can pretty sure that Stitt is not talking about this -

Five Pillars of Islam
noun
the basic precepts of Islam, including belief in Allah and Muhammad the prophet, prayer, charity or almsgiving, fasting, and pilgrimage to Mecca; also called Five Pillars, Pillars of Islam

This is a possibility though -

I call this “The 5 Pillars of Influential Leadership.” I will briefly describe each of the pillars below and suggest that although there is overlap in the progression, the maximum return on each pillar is connected to success in the previous pillars.

PILLAR 1 – AWARENESS

It is difficult to learn and retain information without first being aware of where we are. This includes knowing where we currently are, knowing where we have been and more importantly, where we want to go.

“When we change the way we look at things; the things we look at change.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer

We are all striving to improve both our skill level and the situation we are currently in. If you don’t know where you are, how do you know where to go? Think of it as a road map. You might know the destination but without a starting point you are unable to chart the course. Only once you accept where you are, good and bad, can you determine the course needed for the desired outcome.

True awareness will allow you to accept what you currently lack and focus on the skills you currently possess. To develop as a leader you must be able to honestly identify both of these in order to become who you were designed to be.

PILLAR 2 – ENVIRONMENT

Once you have gained a strong awareness of where you are and where you want to be, it becomes crucial to understand how the environment in which you are in will affect your steps forward. The basic question becomes, “Is the environment that you are in conducive to growth?”

You basically have two choices. Change yourself within your current environment in the hope that you can become an agent of change or find a new environment. This decision will be based on a multitude of variables and will be different for every individual. What will remain constant throughout is that the only control you really have is to change yourself.

“Whether you are a success or failure in life has little to do with circumstances; it has much to do with your choices.” – Nido Qubein

Honestly, I believe this is the most difficult pillar to conquer. There are so many moving parts and variables beyond our control that it makes it difficult to make changes alone. Regardless of your tenacity and perseverance, inevitably your environment will directly impact your overall success.

PILLAR 3 – GROWTH

Once you have an idea of your goals and how your environment will affect the outcome, you are ready to maximize your personal and professional growth. Embracing the previous two pillars allows us to better take on the challenges ahead.

If you have ever been seriously hurt, you know that sometimes you need to get well before you get better. We need to take care of the basics before we can tackle the more difficult tasks in growing towards our potential. Reaching our potential is better, but if we do not have a good understanding of the required steps to get better, it becomes difficult to consistently grow.

“Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others. —Jack Welch

If you want to grow, you have to decide the path you will take. Again, this is an example of the progression … is the environment you are in conducive to your growth? Growth doesn’t happen in a day, it happens daily. What you do today will determine who you will be tomorrow.

PILLAR 4 – COMMUNICATION

Now that you have a good idea where you are and where you want to be and are taking steps to get there, it is time to start sharing your knowledge and achievements with others. After all, teamwork makes the dream work and when we reach the point of positively influencing those around us, we are impacting the world we live in on a much larger scale.

You won’t communicate effectively unless the people you are communicating with are receptive to that communication. Making the conversation about the other person and valuing their input is critical to a successful relationship. Meeting them on common ground and meeting them where they are at are two successful ways to communicate.

“The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw

To communicate successfully, what is being said is what needs to be heard. Perception, assumption and presumption play into most of the conversations we have. Be clear on what you are attempting to say and make sure that is what’s being heard. Communication skills need to be atop any growth plan for without those skills, we will be unable to influence others or the outcome.

PILLAR 5 – LEADERSHIP

Once you have achieved the skills to be a good leader, and only then, can you become an influential leader. Influential leaders make changes and positively impact those around them.

It doesn’t matter if you are speaking of business or your personal life, leadership will prove out to be the key to your success. Every leader has a certain amount of success with these pillars but those that understand how the progression works will ultimately become influential leaders.

“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” – John Maxwell Tweet this!

At the end of the day, influential leaders are focused on building what matters. What matters is the people they are leading. Without a strong core of people, the structure will eventually fail.

behappp said:
Well since Sharia Law is outlawed in MT we can pretty sure that Stitt is not talking about this -

Five Pillars of Islam
noun
the basic precepts of Islam, including belief in Allah and Muhammad the prophet, prayer, charity or almsgiving, fasting, and pilgrimage to Mecca; also called Five Pillars, Pillars of Islam

This is a possibility though -

I call this “The 5 Pillars of Influential Leadership.” I will briefly describe each of the pillars below and suggest that although there is overlap in the progression, the maximum return on each pillar is connected to success in the previous pillars.

PILLAR 1 – AWARENESS

It is difficult to learn and retain information without first being aware of where we are. This includes knowing where we currently are, knowing where we have been and more importantly, where we want to go.

“When we change the way we look at things; the things we look at change.” – Dr. Wayne Dyer

We are all striving to improve both our skill level and the situation we are currently in. If you don’t know where you are, how do you know where to go? Think of it as a road map. You might know the destination but without a starting point you are unable to chart the course. Only once you accept where you are, good and bad, can you determine the course needed for the desired outcome.

True awareness will allow you to accept what you currently lack and focus on the skills you currently possess. To develop as a leader you must be able to honestly identify both of these in order to become who you were designed to be.

PILLAR 2 – ENVIRONMENT

Once you have gained a strong awareness of where you are and where you want to be, it becomes crucial to understand how the environment in which you are in will affect your steps forward. The basic question becomes, “Is the environment that you are in conducive to growth?”

You basically have two choices. Change yourself within your current environment in the hope that you can become an agent of change or find a new environment. This decision will be based on a multitude of variables and will be different for every individual. What will remain constant throughout is that the only control you really have is to change yourself.

“Whether you are a success or failure in life has little to do with circumstances; it has much to do with your choices.” – Nido Qubein

Honestly, I believe this is the most difficult pillar to conquer. There are so many moving parts and variables beyond our control that it makes it difficult to make changes alone. Regardless of your tenacity and perseverance, inevitably your environment will directly impact your overall success.

PILLAR 3 – GROWTH

Once you have an idea of your goals and how your environment will affect the outcome, you are ready to maximize your personal and professional growth. Embracing the previous two pillars allows us to better take on the challenges ahead.

If you have ever been seriously hurt, you know that sometimes you need to get well before you get better. We need to take care of the basics before we can tackle the more difficult tasks in growing towards our potential. Reaching our potential is better, but if we do not have a good understanding of the required steps to get better, it becomes difficult to consistently grow.

“Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others. —Jack Welch

If you want to grow, you have to decide the path you will take. Again, this is an example of the progression … is the environment you are in conducive to your growth? Growth doesn’t happen in a day, it happens daily. What you do today will determine who you will be tomorrow.

PILLAR 4 – COMMUNICATION

Now that you have a good idea where you are and where you want to be and are taking steps to get there, it is time to start sharing your knowledge and achievements with others. After all, teamwork makes the dream work and when we reach the point of positively influencing those around us, we are impacting the world we live in on a much larger scale.

You won’t communicate effectively unless the people you are communicating with are receptive to that communication. Making the conversation about the other person and valuing their input is critical to a successful relationship. Meeting them on common ground and meeting them where they are at are two successful ways to communicate.

“The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw

To communicate successfully, what is being said is what needs to be heard. Perception, assumption and presumption play into most of the conversations we have. Be clear on what you are attempting to say and make sure that is what’s being heard. Communication skills need to be atop any growth plan for without those skills, we will be unable to influence others or the outcome.

PILLAR 5 – LEADERSHIP

Once you have achieved the skills to be a good leader, and only then, can you become an influential leader. Influential leaders make changes and positively impact those around them.

It doesn’t matter if you are speaking of business or your personal life, leadership will prove out to be the key to your success. Every leader has a certain amount of success with these pillars but those that understand how the progression works will ultimately become influential leaders.

“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” – John Maxwell Tweet this!

At the end of the day, influential leaders are focused on building what matters. What matters is the people they are leading. Without a strong core of people, the structure will eventually fail.

According to some on this board, Bob Stitt is "WAY' worse than a radical Islamic terrorist.

Back