• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz LB Strahm arrested for DUI

'68griz said:
Why are we talking about texting and driving? That has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

It's the egriz way. Start with one topic and then move to multiple other topics. Has there ever been a long thread on egriz that didn't evolve?

EverettGriz said:
Again, not that it's any of your damn business, but I abhor people who text and drive. I just have no idea why it's even being discussed in this thread. Seemingly, many others are confused as well.

It's free country and the internet is particularly so. You get to discuss what you want on egriz. Sorry that this confuses you.

Spanky said:
As a former Missoula bartender, I can tell you we wouldn't have been able to field a team if all of the players would have been pulled over after a night on the town.
Drinking and excessive drinking isn't good by any means, but most of you that state they haven't done it aren't being truthful. And yes, driving after too much to drink as well.
Spank, as you know, in your era, we barely fielded a team....

argh! said:
small-time greenie showing his small-timeness. or wisdom, if you are kem.
I was doing well staying out of this one until this invitation. So I will opine a verdict; three games and have to win the job back. I'm not sure he ever would.

kemajic said:
argh! said:
small-time greenie showing his small-timeness. or wisdom, if you are kem.
I was doing well staying out of this one until this invitation. So I will opine a verdict; three games and have to win the job back. I'm not sure he ever would.

I was thinking 2 games, win job back, and a lot of non-alcohol induced vomiting. Agree could be 3. I'd bet Stitt will go beyond the code of conduct.

So after reading some of PR's arguments about texting while driving I think he is right. I don't want my wife and kids endangers by some mothertexter who isn't intelligent enough to know the king's English much less being able to text and drive. Besides, most of the folks I see doing it look like low-grade morons anyway. Either that or folks that think that the laws don't apply to them. (It's illegal in Billings, don't know about Missoula.)

In light of those sobering statistics I think the penalties for using a phone while driving should be the same for DUI, heavy fines, maybe a night in jail. It should have an effect on your insurance and the ability to keep your license. The commercials say a DUI ends up costing around $10,000. A lot of accidents are caused by morons on the phone so the penalties should be the same as DUI. Rock on PR.

cclarkblues said:
So after reading some of PR's arguments about texting while driving I think he is right. I don't want my wife and kids endangers by some mothertexter who isn't intelligent enough to know the king's English much less being able to text and drive. Besides, most of the folks I see doing it look like low-grade morons anyway. Either that or folks that think that the laws don't apply to them. (It's illegal in Billings, don't know about Missoula.)

In light of those sobering statistics I think the penalties for using a phone while driving should be the same for DUI, heavy fines, maybe a night in jail. It should have an effect on your insurance and the ability to keep your license. The commercials say a DUI ends up costing around $10,000. A lot of accidents are caused by morons on the phone so the penalties should be the same as DUI. Rock on PR.

No eating or drinking in the car soon either. To distracting. And don't forget talking, eventually that too will be to distracting. As a matter fact, just get rid of all the passengers, and no music...we can't have you singing along with the tunes. Pets? Nope.....they need to be tied to the roof. No preening yourself either, so that upcoming date, well since she is distracting, you don't need to smell good anyway.

cclarkblues said:

I always thought you were the smartest and best poster on egriz, and now it's confirmed. Thx.

Yes, illegal to text or talk on phone in Missoula. I see a lot of women talking on their phones. Probably Everett's wife, or something similar.

CFallsGriz said:
GrizLA said:
reinell30 said:
Folks, it is a DUI...that is all. A bad choice to get behind the wheel. Yes, he is lucky he didn't hurt someone, a bad choice he will remember for a long time to come! He will pay his dues for this mistake. Now let it drop! 2017 season around the corner, let's focus on the positives!

He is no "kid". He is 22. He knows the laws and hopefully the coaching staff made it clear that DUI is not acceptable at UM and he should be removed from the team. That would be a positive statement. Sadly, Montana is the number one state in alcoholism. Time to change that culture. Other kids will step up. It might even open a scholarship to a deserving kid who can keep his cool in a tough game.

Actually, if you're looking at per capita usage New Hampshire holds that distinction, though we do come in 6th.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/12119523/10/the-drunkest-states-in-america-2013-vintage.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your link is from 2014 and even that one is out of date. Montana leads the nation in alcohol abuse. 9.87% of Montanans over age 12 abuse alcohol. This is nothing to be proud of and I suspect it is a leading indicator of why Montanans also rank high in suicides. Montana needs to change its culture. Other states have done it. This guy is on a scholarship. He is old enough to pay the consequences and if it were my decision, he would be off the team..no discussion.

ordigger said:
cclarkblues said:

No eating or drinking in the car soon either. To distracting. And don't forget talking, eventually that too will be to distracting. As a matter fact, just get rid of all the passengers, and no music...we can't have you singing along with the tunes. Pets? Nope.....they need to be tied to the roof. No preening yourself either, so that upcoming date, well since she is distracting, you don't need to smell good anyway.

And, absolutely zero tolerance for on the road masturbation. The problem with equating texting etc. with drinking is that there are many degrees of drunkenness. While many of us have probably been a whisker over the limit on occasion, being nearly three times over is nearing or past the point of reckless disregard for human life. Now, I realize PR — in his OCD driven need to deflect any blame from angelic jocks -- will compare this with some distracted lady talking on three phones at once while adjusting her Ben Wa balls, but this degree of inebriation is a little too close to flirting with second degree murder for me. I had an old classmate who killed, literally, an entire family in this state a few decades ago. Now, fortunately, we have on the horizon a solution to all our ills … the rapidly approaching advent of self driving cars so that we can run a small bar and a whore house right in the privacy of our own vehicles with no fear of inflicting harm on others. So, we need not suffer this onerous Puritanism much longer. Until then, just stay sober.

GrizLA said:
CFallsGriz said:
GrizLA said:
reinell30 said:
Folks, it is a DUI...that is all. A bad choice to get behind the wheel. Yes, he is lucky he didn't hurt someone, a bad choice he will remember for a long time to come! He will pay his dues for this mistake. Now let it drop! 2017 season around the corner, let's focus on the positives!

He is no "kid". He is 22. He knows the laws and hopefully the coaching staff made it clear that DUI is not acceptable at UM and he should be removed from the team. That would be a positive statement. Sadly, Montana is the number one state in alcoholism. Time to change that culture. Other kids will step up. It might even open a scholarship to a deserving kid who can keep his cool in a tough game.

Actually, if you're looking at per capita usage New Hampshire holds that distinction, though we do come in 6th.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/12119523/10/the-drunkest-states-in-america-2013-vintage.html

your link is from 2014 and even that one is out of date. Montana leads the nation in alcohol abuse. 9.87% of Montanans over age 12 abuse alcohol. This is nothing to be proud of and I suspect it is a leading indicator of why Montanans also rank high in suicides. Montana needs to change its culture. Other states have done it. This guy is on a scholarship. He is old enough to pay the consequences and if it were my decision, he would be off the team..no discussion.

I half agree and would suspend him for half the regular season. But, cutting a kid off from all redemption is usually counter productive, so I'd let him back after an attention getting hiatus.

From a purely football/depth chart perspective, I'm really excited about this. The Griz just got better.

Phat Cat said:
That sucks. Just call Uber. It's cheap. I wish Uber was around when I was a kid. Would of saved me a lot of problems.

Yeah, no shit, Uber is super convenient. David Reese is an uber driver, could have called him.

Skyline is always on the bleeding edge whenever something goes the Griz's way. When our starting MLB gets a DUI, Skyline is the first to start the thread.

I'm not arguing SS's journalism qualify, because they are solid in the state of Montana. But for 1) they are compared to Lee Enterprises. 2) Griz fans should be aware that they are a Pro-Bobcat outlet.

Reading about this incident, I'm glad that his stupid decision did not cost him or anyone else their life. Having lost people close to me due to drunk drivers this is a difficult one for me. I get how it happens, but that doesn't make it any less stupid. I hope that he can learn from this very expensive lesson and be glad it was not any worse than it is.

Have heard from his teammates that he is a good guy, just made a stupid decision(as we all have, but no excuse).

Back