• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Its Time to Clean House.

kevraid said:
Montana is 18-11 with no playoff wins under current coaching. SO lets say the Griz go 6-1 losing to ewash... then lose 1st playoff game. That would make Montana 24-13 in 3 years with no playoff wins(I AM MAKING NO PREDICTIONS) but the thing is some fans would think 24-13 with no playoff wins is fine and make excuses for the 5-6 season... Some think that is horrible for this program. I think its below average... people will also think its ok to go 10-3 and 9-4 last 2 years with very few significant wins and no playoff wins. That seems very mediocre considering schedule.

I think you just "crystallized" the debate without a lot of drama. Too bad you didn't post Saturday evening. I believe you're saying this debate is about fan expectations. The fan base just seems divided on what acceptable expectations are. Unfortunately Fan expectations are an individual thing. Achieving a consensus when overheated emotions are involved isn't easy. Cleaning house mid-season makes absolutely no sense.
There is no risk in waiting until the end of the season to determine Delaney's future.

CV Griz Fan said:
kevraid said:
Montana is 18-11 with no playoff wins under current coaching. SO lets say the Griz go 6-1 losing to ewash... then lose 1st playoff game. That would make Montana 24-13 in 3 years with no playoff wins(I AM MAKING NO PREDICTIONS) but the thing is some fans would think 24-13 with no playoff wins is fine and make excuses for the 5-6 season... Some think that is horrible for this program. I think its below average... people will also think its ok to go 10-3 and 9-4 last 2 years with very few significant wins and no playoff wins. That seems very mediocre considering schedule.

I think you just "crystallized" the debate without a lot of drama. Too bad you didn't post Saturday evening. I believe you're saying this debate is about fan expectations. The fan base just seems divided on what acceptable expectations are. Unfortunately Fan expectations are an individual thing. Achieving a consensus when overheated emotions are involved isn't easy. Cleaning house mid-season makes absolutely no sense.
There is no risk in waiting until the end of the season to determine Delaney's future.

I was sitting in my tent listening to AM radio (thanks, CDA!) and they were talking about the halftime adjustments for the Chiefs in their game against the Patriots. It sure rang true for the play calling we are seeing from the UM staff. With a 17-0 lead the announcers were saying the Chiefs should stay aggressive and mix things up. Don't go run, run, pass and be conservative. Keep attacking. Sure reminded me of the debate we are having. And BTW, I don't think nobody should be fired right now. But it does question our 2nd half strategy. Well, time for me to use the burnt broom handle and get rid of the rain accumulating on the tent...

statler & waldorf said:
Just saying that the place holder coach should have been gone after the 2012 season, but Royce knew what he was doing, keeping him and keeping Griz football down.

I think there is something to this. I have no doubt that Royce felt/feels that football was "too big" at UM. I think he is perfectly happy with it being taken down quite a few notches. As long as it is a moderately successful program, that doesn't create any waves, he is a happy camper.

This will only change if the budget starts taking a significant hit. But then he will blame the athletic department for not supporting himself.

tnt said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
:oops: :oops: :oops: Someone needs to tell the kids on the team that they're at the University of Montana to entertain tnt and his booster friends. Because you've got balls the size of cantaloupes, I'm sure you won't hesitate to schedule some time at the next team meeting and let them know how they're letting you and your friends down. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Don't know about the kids near as I can tell there are several right behind them willing to do their job if the ones in front don't. Is someone saying the players aren't holding up their end of the bargain?? It appears the coaches don't hesitate to hold them accountable.

I have often wondered what all those seats at the stadium were for. The fact is Bjorn, exactly what the athletic program is for, that and to promote the University. Should it draw attention to itself in a negative way changes are made. Its that way in every university in the country. Its happen here, its happened recently in Kansas, is about to happen in Michigan. You are not so naive as to believe that athletics some character building exercise for 345 UM students that millions of dollars are spent on are you?

Good God, you're an idiot.

grizpack said:
statler & waldorf said:
Just saying that the place holder coach should have been gone after the 2012 season, but Royce knew what he was doing, keeping him and keeping Griz football down.

I think there is something to this. I have no doubt that Royce felt/feels that football was "too big" at UM. I think he is perfectly happy with it being taken down quite a few notches. As long as it is a moderately successful program, that doesn't create any waves, he is a happy camper.

This will only change if the budget starts taking a significant hit. But then he will blame the athletic department for not supporting himself.
Sadly, sadly, I think you are 100% on.

Good god people, what do you expect. We were up 35-7 against a team we should have been up 35-7. What did you expect in the second half. The coaches to open up the playbook and show the rest of the conference what we have on our first conference game? My neck hurts from shaking my head. Ursa, can I get the number to your doctor?

grizatwork said:
Good god people, what do you expect. We were up 35-7 against a team we should have been up 35-7. What did you expect in the second half. The coaches to open up the playbook and show the rest of the conference what we have on our first conference game? My neck hurts from shaking my head. Ursa, can I get the number to your doctor?

:lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
tnt said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
:oops: :oops: :oops: Someone needs to tell the kids on the team that they're at the University of Montana to entertain tnt and his booster friends. Because you've got balls the size of cantaloupes, I'm sure you won't hesitate to schedule some time at the next team meeting and let them know how they're letting you and your friends down. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Don't know about the kids near as I can tell there are several right behind them willing to do their job if the ones in front don't. Is someone saying the players aren't holding up their end of the bargain?? It appears the coaches don't hesitate to hold them accountable.

I have often wondered what all those seats at the stadium were for. The fact is Bjorn, exactly what the athletic program is for, that and to promote the University. Should it draw attention to itself in a negative way changes are made. Its that way in every university in the country. Its happen here, its happened recently in Kansas, is about to happen in Michigan. You are not so naive as to believe that athletics some character building exercise for 345 UM students that millions of dollars are spent on are you?

Good God, you're an idiot.

The mask has indeed slipped...it would be funny if it wasn't so sad. :roll: :roll: :roll:

grizatwork said:
The distinguished Dr. Feelgood is on a referral only status. Good post G-work! Just use the same play calling as they did in the first half and everyone would be happy. If we had a line like NDSU I would totally agree with the play calling. Unfortunately we don't. You don't play ball control when you can't control the line. We're not there yet!

GrizLA said:
Well, the biggest question I have about Mick Delaney is how in the hell a 70+ year old guy can whip up the energy, much less the desire, to coach a Div 1 program? I say this, having known him in high school. I see lots of younger guys who could not take it. Of course, I see a lot of them when I go to Chemo so my vision is a bit off. One thing is certain and that is things change. Sooner of later UM will have a new coach but I am beginning to see schools where coaching continuity counts for something...between Griz football and basketball, there must have been at least 10 coaches go through there....I hear a lot of the same complaints from U
SC fans about their new coach, Sarkissian....and I hear Alabama praising the fired USC coach...sports fans are a fickle lot.

True, hope your medical treatment works out for you... :clap: :clap: :clap: .

I'm as critical as anyone on here. Demanding an action like this right now is ridiculous. You're upset because you know what the Griz are this year and you don't like what you see. I can remember "many" homecoming games that were a "carbon copy" to last weekend. So just sit on your hands for a while and see how this plays out. It's the only option you really have, so you might as well take a win and move on. We all know the regular season comes down to "two" games. If we can get some stops on third down on the road and "NOT" turn the ball over we can win. The final home game will play out similar. Finally, TNT the fan is base is changing. Do you really feel the passion of home playoff games in the rain with grass end zones? I think f*****g not! As the older diehard Griz fans die off our nucleus will not be the same. Change is imminent. I'm a NEZ lunatic and I feel your pain but "it is what it is". I've relegated my best hopes to John Krakauer. Maybe he can expose the super d-bag and he will scurry out like a rat... :egriz:

One or more posters noted that the WGS was half empty after the half. Did they end up coming back after a long tailgating session, or just leave? If it's the latter, the Delaney hangover may a preview of things to come. Changing fan base or expectations not met?

statler & waldorf said:
One or more posters noted that the WGS was half empty after the half. Did they end up coming back after a long tailgating session, or just leave? If it's the latter, the Delaney hangover may a preview of things to come. Changing fan base or expectations not met?

Many stayed away, but that is par for the course in a blowout game with the weather worsening. It has been happening for as long as I can remember. There is a similar post about it on bobcat nation. People are slow coming in or don't come back at all. There are fans who are there for the social aspect of it. They will not come back, but stay outside in a game like that. People may not like it, but college football is a social event, with many seats held by businesses or corporations. I have 2 right next to me that are hardly ever filled. Maybe 2 games a year. Like it or not, we need the bandwagon, social event fans.

grizatwork said:
statler & waldorf said:

Many stayed away, but that is par for the course in a blowout game with the weather worsening. It has been happening for as long as I can remember. There is a similar post about it on bobcat nation. People are slow coming in or don't come back at all. There are fans who are there for the social aspect of it. They will not come back, but stay outside in a game like that. People may not like it, but college football is a social event, with many seats held by businesses or corporations. I have 2 right next to me that are hardly ever filled. Maybe 2 games a year. Like it or not, we need the bandwagon, social event fans.

A lot didn't come back, but there was a lot leaving early as well. More concerning speaking of the businesses and corporations were the number of the corporate tailgate sites that were empty as in not rented for the game. There were also far fewer companies entertaining. One of the banks has sublet their site over the past couple of years because renting it for every game was the only way they could be assured having it. There were no takers this year.

Its sort of funny the folks you guys are calling bandwagon Fans that have had seats and GSA (or GAA)for years and have had a large part of making game day the event it was are in fact getting older and preferring a griz party at home to attending the game, or are thrilled that the greatest improvement to the stadium in years was adding the hand rails are giving up their seats because of what they call band wagon fans.

They look at the newer fans that many of you represent as guys who simply don't get what Grizzly Football is all about. What they see is a minority of fans who equate a great program as starting with a dominating team most concerned with wins and disdainful to anyone who doesn't share their particular passion for the game and god forbid anyone who wasn't a star back in the day attempt to be fan. These guys seem to believe a great program results from the "record" and championship banners.

This old group believe great teams come from great all around programs with the broadest fan base possible. Yup there have always been problems with players, brushes with the law, and what have you (hell there was even a child molester although he was a BB player) but Community and the program were far more important than anything. The problems of the last few years would NEVER have gotten as far out of hand as they did with the old leadership. The old Bandwagon Fans know that.

If you want to believe these changes in attitude and present leadership not hurting the program and will not make it a difficult hole to climb out of go for it. PR in a thread not long ago promised he and his family would pony up 5 million, so maybe we are okay

tnt said:
grizatwork said:
statler & waldorf said:

A lot didn't come back, but there was a lot leaving early as well. More concerning speaking of the businesses and corporations were the number of the corporate tailgate sites that were empty as in not rented for the game. There were also far fewer companies entertaining. One of the banks has sublet their site over the past couple of years because renting it for every game was the only way they could be assured having it. There were no takers this year.

Its sort of funny the folks you guys are calling bandwagon Fans that have had seats and GSA (or GAA)for years and have had a large part of making game day the event it was are in fact getting older and preferring a griz party at home to attending the game, or are thrilled that the greatest improvement to the stadium in years was adding the hand rails are giving up their seats because of what they call band wagon fans.

They look at the newer fans that many of you represent as guys who simply don't get what Grizzly Football is all about. What they see is a minority of fans who equate a great program as starting with a dominating team most concerned with wins and disdainful to anyone who doesn't share their particular passion for the game and god forbid anyone who wasn't a star back in the day attempt to be fan. These guys seem to believe a great program results from the "record" and championship banners.

This old group believe great teams come from great all around programs with the broadest fan base possible. Yup there have always been problems with players, brushes with the law, and what have you (hell there was even a child molester although he was a BB player) but Community and the program were far more important than anything. The problems of the last few years would NEVER have gotten as far out of hand as they did with the old leadership. The old Bandwagon Fans know that.

If you want to believe these changes in attitude and present leadership not hurting the program and will not make it a difficult hole to climb out of go for it. PR in a thread not long ago promised he and his family would pony up 5 million, so maybe we are okay

You got any evidence to back up all that drivel? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Back