• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Before you go off the deep end about the offense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The soft schedule argument KILLS me. So the Griz are supposed to feel bad or not be proud of EVERY WIN?? To hell with that. I don't care if you're playing Northern Colorado or MSU-Northern or NDSU or Alabama, winning college football games is HARD TO DO. And even now, even in what some people consider the darkest times, the Griz still do it a hell of alot more often than 90 percent of the FCS. Yeah, I want more too. I want national chippers too. But just because I don't get what I want, doesn't mean I am going to take for granted what the Griz have done and are going to do. I don't care if Northern Colorado was garbage and C. Washington was garbage, and I don't care if the the "fans" think all the teams the Griz beat were garbage last year, go talk to the players on Sunday and see how sore they were after those games, go see how banged up and bruised up they are after what some term as "soft or easy wins". Nah, screw that, winning college football games at this level is never EASY. It's not easy for NDSU and its not easy for Alabama. The final score ain't got jack to do with whether it was easy or not.

Every opponent the Griz played last year did everything in their power to NOT make it easy, and none of them were soft. If you don't believe me, feel free to jog on down to Hoyt on Sunday and ask the players just how "easy or soft" UND was.

When it comes to how good or not good the opponent is, Ill take the player's word over anyone elses. You know the players, the guys who actually line up and block and tackle and get hit and hit and run and throw and catch and kick against these supposed "soft" teams. If anyone knows, I think they do.

NativeGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Htowngriz said:
Zootown Rox said:
Considering we've had three years of this offense I'd say we can finally judge it. The offense is underwhelming at best. We have the personnel, we lack the coaches. They never make second half adjustments, and overall call a poor game.

Really?? I think the fact that we turned first half blowouts against EWU and CCU into one-score games in the end would suggest otherwise...

And oh yeah, we managed to score 37 ppg last year while being completely "underwhelming". :roll:

And what was that good for? 10 lousy wins, that's all. :lol: :D
It has already been proven we had a very soft schedule last year. Not one quality win except maybe the cats. I am not going to jump on the Griz offense this year because of injuries-over all I give the coaching staff kudos for keeping things together. But go see how many points we scored against teams with winning records last year. Not so good.
Make it easy for everyone-and the schedule was 8th best in BSC
jeuEGB3.png

NativeGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Htowngriz said:
Zootown Rox said:
Considering we've had three years of this offense I'd say we can finally judge it. The offense is underwhelming at best. We have the personnel, we lack the coaches. They never make second half adjustments, and overall call a poor game.

Really?? I think the fact that we turned first half blowouts against EWU and CCU into one-score games in the end would suggest otherwise...

And oh yeah, we managed to score 37 ppg last year while being completely "underwhelming". :roll:

It has already been proven we had a very soft schedule last year. Not one quality win except maybe the cats. I am not going to jump on the Griz offense this year because of injuries-over all I give the coaching staff kudos for keeping things together. But go see how many points we scored against teams with winning records last year. Not so good.

We'll NEVER have a difficult schedule in the BSC because we don't ever have to play the Grizzlies.

Robsnotes4u said:
NativeGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Htowngriz said:

jeuEGB3.png

Delaney has NOT lost to any non-playoff or non-FBS team when he's had a qb on the roster who had completed even 1 pass in a prior year. I don't buy the quality win or soft schedule argument. It is very difficult to win conference games on the road in the Big Sky. Sagarin had UM with the 7th SOS in the conference, if I eyeballed correctly. Note that there are 13 teams in the conference.

PlayerRep said:
Robsnotes4u said:
NativeGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
jeuEGB3.png

Delaney has lost to any non-playoff or non-FBS team when he's had a qb on the roster who had completed even 1 pass in a prior year. I don't buy the quality win or soft schedule argument. It is very difficult to win conference games on the road in the Big Sky. Sagarin had UM with the 7th SOS in the conference, if I eyeballed correctly. Note that there are 13 teams in the conference.

Ok What is your perception with these rankings, soft or not

App State 57 in FCS
North Dakota 91 in FCS
Pan Handle 158 in DIV II
NAU 25 in FCS
Portland St 70 in FCS
UC Davis 56 in FCS
Cal Poly 36 in FCS
EWU 4 in FCS
Sac St 61 in FCS
SD 44 in FCS
Weber St 90 in FCS
MSU 46 in FCS
CCU 8 in FSC

Montana #16 in FCS and 50 in schedule

Robsnotes4u said:
PlayerRep said:
Robsnotes4u said:
NativeGriz said:
jeuEGB3.png

Delaney has lost to any non-playoff or non-FBS team when he's had a qb on the roster who had completed even 1 pass in a prior year. I don't buy the quality win or soft schedule argument. It is very difficult to win conference games on the road in the Big Sky. Sagarin had UM with the 7th SOS in the conference, if I eyeballed correctly. Note that there are 13 teams in the conference.

App State 57 in FCS
North Dakota 91 in FCS
Pan Handle 158 in DIV II
NAU 25 in FCS
Portland St 70 in FCS
UC Davis 56 in FCS
Cal Poly 36 in FCS
EWU 4 in FCS
Sac St 61 in FCS
SD 44 in FCS
Weber St 90 in FCS
MSU 46 in FCS
CCU 8 in FSC

Tough schedule, except for the D-II. You SOS's are different than Sagarin's. Conference games, especially on the road, are hard to win. There is no such thing as an easy schedule in tough conferences. Going 10-2 in the Big Sky is difficult. UM's SOS suffers in many years, because they don't play an FBS team.

Panhandle was soft in that, that game should never have been scheduled, just like UM and MSU should never ever ever ever play a Frontier Conference school. i'll go there. the rest NOPE. they were all ncaa division I college football teams. with ncaa divsion 1 level talent and i won't ever call a collection of kids with that kind of talent soft, including even MSU. Nope, again, college football at this level is really, really, really hard, and no way in hell those kids are soft. If they were, they wouldn't be there. Some teams are better than others, but soft, hell no. Again, go ask the Griz players if they thought ANY of those DI teams on last year's schedule were "soft" or "easy to beat". Not to mention, the Griz players and coaches don't CHOOSE the schedule. They play who they're told to go and play so any argument about the schedule is stupid, UNLESS you are directing that argument to Haslam and the Big Sky Commish. The buck stops with those two and only those two when it comes to the Griz' schedule.

havgrizfan said:
Panhandle was soft in that, that game should never have been scheduled, just like UM and MSU should never ever ever ever play a Frontier Conference school. i'll go there. the rest NOPE. they were all ncaa division I college football teams. with ncaa divsion 1 level talent and i won't ever call a collection of kids with that kind of talent soft, including even MSU. Nope, again, college football at this level is really, really, really hard, and no way in hell those kids are soft. If they were, they wouldn't be there. Some teams are better than others, but soft, hell no. Again, go ask the Griz players if they thought ANY of those DI teams on last year's schedule were "soft" or "easy to beat". Not to mention, the Griz players and coaches don't CHOOSE the schedule. They play who they're told to go and play so any argument about the schedule is stupid, UNLESS you are directing that argument to Haslam and the Big Sky Commish. The buck stops with those two and only those two when it comes to the Griz' schedule.

What word would you like us to use instead of soft? I will put it this way there were 49 schedules that had had a SOS that was tougher than the Griz according to Massey. Or for all of FCS they were rated 181 by Massey and 180 by Sagarin.

As a former fairly successful coach once said, "Winning is hard. If it was easy, they'd call it soccer."

rob, actuallt i don't need to call it anything more than a schedule. Montana went and played the teams that O'Day, Haslam and the Big Sky told them to play. No player or coach or any member of the 2013 Grizzly football team deserves any criticism for that schedule. it's a stupid discussion. The Griz played who they were told to play, they beat some teams and lost to others.

Robsnotes4u said:
havgrizfan said:

What word would you like us to use instead of soft? I will put it this way there were 49 schedules that had had a SOS that was tougher than the Griz according to Massey. Or for all of FCS they were rated 181 by Massey and 180 by Sagarin.

As I have said already, UM's SOS suffers in most years primarily because they don't play FBS teams very often. Take off the 2 FBS teams that EWU played last year, and then let us know what EWU's SOS would be. Yes, EWU played 2 FBS teams. Great. The Griz didn't. So what. You apparently don't understand that conference play in good conferences is tough, sometimes very tough. You really are becoming an irritant, or maybe you always have been. What kind of person hangs around another team's message board?

PlayerRep said:
Robsnotes4u said:
PlayerRep said:
Robsnotes4u said:
jeuEGB3.png

App State 57 in FCS
North Dakota 91 in FCS
Pan Handle 158 in DIV II
NAU 25 in FCS
Portland St 70 in FCS
UC Davis 56 in FCS
Cal Poly 36 in FCS
EWU 4 in FCS
Sac St 61 in FCS
SD 44 in FCS
Weber St 90 in FCS
MSU 46 in FCS
CCU 8 in FSC

Tough schedule, except for the D-II. You SOS's are different than Sagarin's. Conference games, especially on the road, are hard to win. There is no such thing as an easy schedule in tough conferences. Going 10-2 in the Big Sky is difficult. UM's SOS suffers in many years, because they don't play an FBS team.

You are correct. Sagarin ranking for the Griz for 2013 is 55. Here is the list
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrlaykqktccdpe6/sagarinfcs2013.xlsx?dl=0

I'm liking you better all the time Rob....keep putting 'ol Player Rep on the ropes. BTW how is your nine ball game? Will you give a guy some weight....like the seven?

Our SOS and Sagarin would be terrific if we played in a real conference. You know, like a conference of peers. Which the BSC ain't. At all.

Teton Cat said:
I'm liking you better all the time Rob....keep putting 'ol Player Rep on the ropes. BTW how is your nine ball game? Will you give a guy some weight....like the seven?
ha. you would be stealing. i am average at best, i need weight, all the big dogs in Montana are better than me. where do you play at? i know a lot of players, not because i am good just love the game

EverettGriz said:
Our SOS and Sagarin would be terrific if we played in a real conference. You know, like a conference of peers. Which the BSC ain't. At all.

Does make a difference. We use a ranking system much like Sagarin in Pool. In fact, the developer and I had a talk about the two on Tuesday night. For example he said, imagine a league in Alaska that is basically played in a vacuum, their ratings will be solid depending where you start them, after a certain amount of games. Now just take a couple of the players to a National tourney in Vegas, once they play someone there you have added the data of the new player and all the players he has played, imagine a spiderweb. Now everyone's rating in Alaska is effected. Without playing another game their ratings will be effected. Correcting their rating to a national level rating. For Pool a system like this makes it easier to match up fairly, and I can compare my game to the best players in the world.

An example. Jeff Boucher, the best bar box 8 ball player in Montana, from Kalispell is rated a 644 (the highest in the system is Shane Van Boening #2 in the World at a 849) I am a 511. to make it fair in a race to 7 Jeff would give me four games on the wire, I go to 3 he goes to 7.

When you look at the BSC it will really be effected this year by its OOC record in the ratings, especially when playing teams from the MVFC.

if you are interested in pool and his rating system, or just the mathematics of it here are a couple of things. Interesting to read and watch, if you are in to rating systems of any kind.

http://www.fargobilliards.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/fargoratings.pdf

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRWECaLnaxY#action=share[/youtube]

PlayerRep said:
Robsnotes4u said:
havgrizfan said:

As I have said already, UM's SOS suffers in most years primarily because they don't play FBS teams very often. Take off the 2 FBS teams that EWU played last year, and then let us know what EWU's SOS would be. Yes, EWU played 2 FBS teams. Great. The Griz didn't. So what. You apparently don't understand that conference play in good conferences is tough, sometimes very tough. You really are becoming an irritant, or maybe you always have been. What kind of person hangs around another team's message board?

If you read the title of this it does say "Montana Grizzlies and the FCS", doesn't it.

Because I grew up in Montana, my wife is a Griz, I have friends who are Griz. I enjoy the BSC.

I was asked by a few to come on her to Police you, as you seem to tell everyone they haven't played the game. Hard to contradict the facts I have put forward so it is bothering you, and messing up your game. Sorry, but tough shit. Don't write shit that someone can contradict, or grow a set, and realize your God Complex doesn't work for everyone.

If you don't like what I write, the other side of the coin, the devils advocate if you like, THEN DON"T READ IT.

Robsnotes4u said:
PlayerRep said:
Robsnotes4u said:
havgrizfan said:

If you read the title of this it does say "Montana Grizzlies and the FCS", doesn't it.

Because I grew up in Montana, my wife is a Griz, I have friends who are Griz. I enjoy the BSC.

I was asked by a few to come on her to Police you, as you seem to tell everyone they haven't played the game. Hard to contradict the facts I have put forward so it is bothering you, and messing up your game. Sorry, but tough shit. Don't write shit that someone can contradict, or grow a set, and realize your God Complex doesn't work for everyone.

If you don't like what I write, the other side of the coin, the devils advocate if you like, THEN DON"T READ IT.

My issue with you is that you just won't listen. All you are doing is saying the same thing over and over again. A computer ranking or two of SOS has UM at 7th or 8th in the conference last year. However, that does not mean that UM had an easy or soft schedule. UM didn't.That was the discussion/argument. It was not which team(s) have the higher computer SOS.

Conference play in good conferences is always tough. The differences in SOS is primarily that UM seldom plays FBS teams, and most other Big Sky teams play 1 or 2 FBS teams. Take away those FBS games, and UM's SOS is essentially the same, or even better in some years, than most of the rest of the conference. Yes, I agree that a credible or better or stronger team than some of non-conference games is a tougher game. However, to me, conference teams having played an FBS team or two, and usually having lost those games (not always), is not any big deal.

You are confusing computer-generated SOS with the facts. The fact is that a computer-generated SOS, which places emphasis on FBS games, is not the best indicator of how a Big Sky team has performed in conference play and against other non-conference FCS teams. Computer-generated rankings are only have some use anyway, but one that emphasizes FBS play is not a good tool for the discussion that I thought we were trying to have.

I still find it odd that you are hanging around another team's message board so much. Anyway, I have been asked by multiple people to police you now, so I will be keeping an eye out for your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back