• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stupid Complaint

Grizzlies1982 said:
Dmontanagrizzlies said:
Honestly PR. It was bad. Granted these weren't the "normal" season ticket holders. Lets put it this way, I sat in row 2 with my good college friends behind the CCU bench. I only thought the kind of language that ensued at that staff and team might only happen in the south.
It actually got so bad that a wife 2 rows behind us kicked her husband out of the game. No, it wasn't just 1 or 2 fans. It was many. Ugliest day i have ever been a part of as a Griz die hard

Unfortunately a few 'bad' fans were screaming at the refs this UC Davis game too. We were in Sec. 122 and I was annoyed at the excessive language a few chose to use (men and a woman). Not a few curse words of complaint but about 2 to 3 minutes of stuff to make the sailors blush. After a couple of minutes a kid of about 8 years old was starting to chime in.
Folks let's make sure we are loud and proud but not A holes.

I sit in 122 and certainly shared my displeasure with the officials. Two or three minutes? I doubt that. I called the one side judge that parked himself directly in front of 122 a "blind jackass." I am guilty. There were certainly many others sharing their displeasure of the lack of good officiating. I did not hear anything that would make a sailor blush and if that was truly the case that is overboard, no pun intended. I heard nothing more offensive from the unhappy fans than what I hear the coaches saying to the players every single game. It is football afterall, not badminton. From what I saw as the play happened and the replay on Griz Vision it certainly did not look like the receiver had possesion in bounds. Apparently on TV it clearly showed that the official made the right call. I was wrong about that call but the host of uncalled holds alone warrented getting yelled at IMHO.

Regarding the Griz fans at the CCU game that is very disappointing. I agree with you 100% there, be loud and proud but not a bunch of A-holes.

I don't want to piss in the punch bowl, but who really cares if this back and forth chant occurs? Do you think it effects the players? It does not. I guess it may get some fans fired up, but it has no relevance to the game being played on the field. Now, the North end zone crazies DO effect the game..... but this chant..... no.

monte is a character said:
I don't want to piss in the punch bowl, but who really cares if this back and forth chant occurs? Do you think it effects the players? It does not. I guess it may get some fans fired up, but it has no relevance to the game being played on the field. Now, the North end zone crazies DO effect the game..... but this chant..... no.

Of course it gets the fans fired up, which keeps fans engaged and helps bring that homefield advantage which can help affect the game. I'd rather have the chant happen right before the game starts than have it happen during some random timeout that, to me, feels forced.

I'm really not trying to cause too much attention to this thread. It might say "stupid" as a header but really the message is a good one. I started going to these games when people laughed at me when I would say "I think we have a shot a winning a national title". I have witnessed students sneaking in a train horn powered by a car battery (true! Good luck getting that into the stadium these days). When there were no expectations and the outcome was the outcome. I ran onto the field and hung on the goal posts (even avoided the pepper spray) when I was a student, with my parents proudly watching (I'm sure dad wanted to stop paying the tuition at that point).

I was fortunate enough to scrape enough money together and have season tickets next to my parents. Fell in love with Wa-Griz just as much as someone who is soo passionate about reading books. Met and created a second family around me with the many who attended. Yearly talks of how their children, hunting season, or their favorite summer activity went. Shared in the many plates of brownies and cookies that were passed from 1 row to the next in our section (without any 2nd thought if some dumbass had made them to hurt people).

I made it a point to my future wife and mother in law at the time that we get in the stadium an hour before kickoff to watch my boys!....Had my fill of goosebumps raising on my arm of watching many great, "grass root" type created pre tunnel videos to make me proud that this was a "MONTANA" team. It got me so fired up to keep yelling louder. I've always been very respectful of the other ticket holders around me. I stand up....raise my arms...but even though I might want to stand as the Griz break the huddle, sit and keep on yelling so others that have paid could see.

Seeing the guy below Brint and I get ridiculed about his chants at the time didn't seem to make much of a difference to me. But in several following years it was the more advertising...the cotton eyed joe dancer appearing then disappearing like the others. Soon, even the fans around me began to grow older...some passed...corporates bought and gave them to fans and employees who never attended. We got rid of a couple of assholes around us, but seem to gain more assholes who didn't have the passion that I had ...or did.

What I can tell you is I never missed a game...it didn't matter to me up until last year if it was 100 degrees or 100 below...I wasn't letting my boys down. I just wanted to yell my section chant " ITS TIME TO GET LOUD AND PROUD GRIZ CROWD".

Last year, perhaps finally from age, I began to notice more and more looks at me. Then I just wanted to be part of that freezing CCU game and wished I hadn't. This spring after my business meeting it just became so apparent to me that I perhaps was a dying breed of this generation of fans that had actually been there since the Copper and Gold, none of the new ones around me knew what it was like.
The overall everything needs to be an advertisement and fans not appreciating my honest and respectful passion really hurt as I would never be a jerk to just stand in front of another paying fan. The expectation that I should be quiet though....I mean, really?

Perhaps my long diatribe means nothing. I'm not sure it even means anything to me, except perhaps I've gotten older and this new fan base doesn't jive the way I was raised.
I just love college football...I hate NFL....to have you're heart sitting on a particular play that makes or breaks the entire day reads way better than any book I care to read.

I've seen posts that have said it for years that the fan base has been changing. I tried several years ago to have a guy in row 1 start a"false start" meter with another egriz (gone) poster. He and I even made it up..taped it...not even into the first quarter Griz security came and took it down saying we couldn't have signs in the stadium.

Perhaps its educating the new ticket neighbor next to you..maybe not...I wish I had the answer fellas (and ladies)...but I can just tell you that the admin did lose it with selling more and more advertising and losing their true fans....raising prices...and watching those that were there before even I, either grow old or not be able to afford the ticket anymore.

Maybe in the end, that's the price of success and expectations. Those that can afford these higher prices expect a golf clap atmosphere.

Anyway..again, I do apologize for jumping my two cents in here... I don't have answers but surely wish someone a hell of a lot smarter than I to kick it up a notch. I'm sure I'll get flamed for the post...
Dmont

So the Coastal Carolina game had a weird vibe or whatever, I for one do not remember the game very well as I drank my face off to stay warm. The point of my OP is, to keep a program and its fan base on a progressive track, you have to a.) put a good product on the field b.) create/maintain memorable gameday experiences for the ticket buyers. This is turn creates more season ticket interest for perhaps, recent younger alumni buyers, which increases the energy. I am not saying younger folks are better fans than older folks or that fans should not be able to come to the game and watch sitting down or have to strain their vocal chords. People have to figure out that situation amongst each other in their sections.

Old traditions that WORK need to be kept and the University/Fanbase has to keep trying to create new traditions. The MONTANA GRIZZLIES chant at serious times in serious games has given me goosebumbs. App St. in 2009, I could have jumped out of that building with adrenaline when that was going. That needs to be used. It has to be fan lead. The spirit sqaud and Pete leading makes it SUCK. Monte - Good Traditon Moe - Bad Tradition. Sponsored virtual eating contests....I hope it made the University lots of money because that was painful. Cotton Eyed Joe - Good. Singalong song to Bon Jovi....every...fing...time - Bad. How many great songs are there about Montana?!!! Play "Wild Montana Skies" during a tv timeout. Maybe it would turn into something like this.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxSxHd4bbYU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will just go make a damn sign and start the damn cheer. I promise to only start it when we are on defense.

Dmontanagrizzlies said:
I'm really not trying to cause too much attention to this thread. It might say "stupid" as a header but really the message is a good one. I started going to these games when people laughed at me when I would say "I think we have a shot a winning a national title". I have witnessed students sneaking in a train horn powered by a car battery (true! Good luck getting that into the stadium these days). When there were no expectations and the outcome was the outcome. I ran onto the field and hung on the goal posts (even avoided the pepper spray) when I was a student, with my parents proudly watching (I'm sure dad wanted to stop paying the tuition at that point).

I was fortunate enough to scrape enough money together and have season tickets next to my parents. Fell in love with Wa-Griz just as much as someone who is soo passionate about reading books. Met and created a second family around me with the many who attended. Yearly talks of how their children, hunting season, or their favorite summer activity went. Shared in the many plates of brownies and cookies that were passed from 1 row to the next in our section (without any 2nd thought if some dumbass had made them to hurt people).

I made it a point to my future wife and mother in law at the time that we get in the stadium an hour before kickoff to watch my boys!....Had my fill of goosebumps raising on my arm of watching many great, "grass root" type created pre tunnel videos to make me proud that this was a "MONTANA" team. It got me so fired up to keep yelling louder. I've always been very respectful of the other ticket holders around me. I stand up....raise my arms...but even though I might want to stand as the Griz break the huddle, sit and keep on yelling so others that have paid could see.

Seeing the guy below Brint and I get ridiculed about his chants at the time didn't seem to make much of a difference to me. But in several following years it was the more advertising...the cotton eyed joe dancer appearing then disappearing like the others. Soon, even the fans around me began to grow older...some passed...corporates bought and gave them to fans and employees who never attended. We got rid of a couple of assholes around us, but seem to gain more assholes who didn't have the passion that I had ...or did.

What I can tell you is I never missed a game...it didn't matter to me up until last year if it was 100 degrees or 100 below...I wasn't letting my boys down. I just wanted to yell my section chant " ITS TIME TO GET LOUD AND PROUD GRIZ CROWD".

Last year, perhaps finally from age, I began to notice more and more looks at me. Then I just wanted to be part of that freezing CCU game and wished I hadn't. This spring after my business meeting it just became so apparent to me that I perhaps was a dying breed of this generation of fans that had actually been there since the Copper and Gold, none of the new ones around me knew what it was like.
The overall everything needs to be an advertisement and fans not appreciating my honest and respectful passion really hurt as I would never be a jerk to just stand in front of another paying fan. The expectation that I should be quiet though....I mean, really?

Perhaps my long diatribe means nothing. I'm not sure it even means anything to me, except perhaps I've gotten older and this new fan base doesn't jive the way I was raised.
I just love college football...I hate NFL....to have you're heart sitting on a particular play that makes or breaks the entire day reads way better than any book I care to read.

I've seen posts that have said it for years that the fan base has been changing. I tried several years ago to have a guy in row 1 start a"false start" meter with another egriz (gone) poster. He and I even made it up..taped it...not even into the first quarter Griz security came and took it down saying we couldn't have signs in the stadium.

Perhaps its educating the new ticket neighbor next to you..maybe not...I wish I had the answer fellas (and ladies)...but I can just tell you that the admin did lose it with selling more and more advertising and losing their true fans....raising prices...and watching those that were there before even I, either grow old or not be able to afford the ticket anymore.

Maybe in the end, that's the price of success and expectations. Those that can afford these higher prices expect a golf clap atmosphere.

Anyway..again, I do apologize for jumping my two cents in here... I don't have answers but surely wish someone a hell of a lot smarter than I to kick it up a notch. I'm sure I'll get flamed for the post...
Dmont

Wow! Great Post, Dmont!!

Great post DMont! I couldn't agree more. My father and I have been season ticket holders for 38 years. I grew up getting splinters in my hands at Dornblaser and even while living on the east coast I would save my change and eat Ramen noodles to save enough money to fly back and attend at least two games with my father every year. Now that I am back living in Montana I eagerly make the drive from Billings every home game. It is awesome to see I90 full of folks wearing Maroon hats waiving to each other and giving thumbs-up along the way to Missoula.

It seems every game now I get frustrated by the things said around me by other fans. But that being said what we have in Montana is very special. It is sad to see folks that are rooting for the team be told to "sit down" or be laughed at. Those that root against the team should be the ones being told to shut-up. These are teenagers and guys in their early 20s after all. What they do on the field will never be perfect. But as long as they are trying their hardest I am proud of them.

Try not to be discouraged. There is still plenty of good folks in Washington Grizzly. Up With Montana Boys!

Ursa Major said:
Dmontanagrizzlies said:

Dmont

Wow! Great Post, Dmont!!

:thumb:
And what about the touchdown cookie/Twinkie guy(s)? Did people complain about that too? The atmosphere has changed a great deal in the past 15 years and I, too, miss the raw emotion that was once there and is now, all too often, "frowned upon". I'd love to see those traditions and authentic 12th man mentality and participation come back to Wa-Griz.

Not sure how far into geezer-hood you are, but I sure am. So I feel qualified to comment, even though I have only minimal encouraging words. (Used to be season-ticket holders, but missed too many games from inability to drive in bad winter weather -- Monida Pass, in particular).

It seems to me that there is a "middle generation" that feels it is "uncool" to show enthusiasm for something so mundane (and, now, "commercial") as a sports program. After all, they lived through really important stuff like "civil rights protests" and Vietnam and Irag and ... whatever. Of course, they largely ignore the fact that us old fogies lived through all of that too ... plus the start of the Cold War, Korea, etc. (Not so say, there are none in that age group who understand, just that many do not.)

We know all about the warts, screw-up, etc., but have the perspective to still enjoy the good parts. Despite the commercialism, the cheating (in some programs), and so one, these are still young men who are working their guts out, and sacrificing their time and a normal college experience (and, all too often, bodies), to be part of a team ... something larger than their own selfish interests. Most know they will never go big-time, and make a lot of money, but they do it anyway.

(Sorry this is getting so long.) I'm afraid that "middle generation" just doesn't "get" that, and are not likely to change. The only encouragement I can offer is that an even younger generation may have a better handle on old-time fan enthusiasm. I honestly think that many of them have a better understanding of the pain and pressure players in the modern sports environment undergo than that middle group. We can hope to tap into that understanding, and perhaps pump up some demonstrative fan enthusiasm.

Back