• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Rumor: to 1-A

NebrVandal

From vandalvenue.com

[I know, I know. I've posted on here that I'm bored with the same old rehashing of "will they or won't they?", and "should they or shouldn't they?"

But here's some news:
Griz athletic officials, including the AD and GSA director, are meeting with select GSA members to "explain UM's move to big-time 1-A football." My source gave me that exact quote from an email originating in the dept., using the term "explain", and not "discuss". It might just be a matter of semantics, I don't know. I know there was a meeting tonight (not in MSLA). Stay tuned.]
http://mb4.scout.com/fidahofrm1.showMessage?topicID=11666.topic[/quote]

I am skeptical, but hopefull that UM will eventually move to 1-a. I don't think I will believe it until I see Karl Benson in Missoula with the UM brass at a press conference announcing UM's move to the WAC.

With the value that UM would add to the league and knowing that virtually all the WAC schools would love to have UM in the league, I am sure that the WAC has given UM the full sales pitch. From what I hear though most of the big money booster do not want to see WAC teams in Missoula, which is too bad.

druhag said:
sorry vandal, with the current AD that rumor is laughable.

I know that the Broncos, Wolf Pack and Vandals would love to fire up the rivalry with the Griz once again. Montana is the only rivalry that I miss from the old Big Sky days.....

GrizFan10 said:
I attended a meeting last week, with O'Day, Sunberg, the new VP-Development, and about 15 UM athletic supporters and donors. This was part of the 3 days of informational meetings that were held around the state last week.

Not one word was said about I-A.

GF10,

Thanks for that, I was starting to worry pigs were gonna fly outta my butt!

I am pretty familiar with both the AD, and the GSA (interim) director, and can promise you that no such meeting has occurred, nor have I heard of any such meeting.

though i doubt it would happen anytime with the next 4 or 5 years i figure we would go to the MWC. we could become a fairly good regional power. look at boise state it took them a couple of years to become a wac power but now they are playing into and out of new years day bowls on a regular basis. i could be wrong because im thinking that they played in the MPC computers bowl, 2 out of the last 3 years. and they did get stomped by louisville 2 years ago and got murdered by georgia in their first non conference game this season.

The first thing I saw when I visited eGriz was the new posting of this thread and I literally moaned out loud: "Oh, for chrissakes..."

Can we let this I-A thing die until after next season at least?

Thank you.

Carry on.

:)

Go Griz!

Sorry I just don't see the Griz in the MWC, to many teams ahead of them, Houston (travel partner for TCU), Boise State, Fresno State, Reno, and maybe Hawaii to name a few. Montana doesn't have the population base the MWC would want. Before anyone brings up Wyoming, they have been with that group for a very long time.

Further BYU and Utah would NEVER allow a school to go directly from 1-AA to their league.

GrizGuy Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:59 am Post subject: Oh for...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing I saw when I visited eGriz was the new posting of this thread and I literally moaned out loud: "Oh, for chrissakes..."

Thank you.

Carry on

Ditto

NavyBlue said:
Sorry I just don't see the Griz in the MWC, to many teams ahead of them, Houston (travel partner for TCU), Boise State, Fresno State, Reno, and maybe Hawaii to name a few. Montana doesn't have the population base the MWC would want. Before anyone brings up Wyoming, they have been with that group for a very long time.

The Mtn West teams left the WAC because they were tired of travelling to Hawaii and places like Houston/La. Tech.. I really doubt Hawaii will ever join the MWC. Boise maybe.

brianfantana42 said:
and they did get stomped by louisville 2 years ago

They didn't get stomped by Louisville.. they lost by a touchdown in a really high scoring game. Dinwiddie chucked a hail mary to the endzone for the tie to end the game.

GrizGuy said:

Thank you.

Carry on.

:)

Go Griz!
That;s what the offseason is for, discussing I-A.

I say we won't see it until King George retires / resigns.

Dumb, dumb, dumber. If ever the Griz move to I-A, I'm moving to Cheney. Just remember Idaho; were not they a perennial regional I-aa power just a decade ago and now look at 'em? If you want to look in the mirror and see Idaho, just keep this dumb talk up. :lame:

Tom

Everybody is so pessimistic on here. Idaho is all they can talk about whenever this topic is brought up. We're not Idaho.

I'm not going to get too excited about this topic until we go 10-1 with an average margin of victory of 37 points and win the national championship in December. Then we can discuss this. I'm more worried about being the best I-AA team in the country RIGHT NOW than mid-major I-A conference logistics in the future. :twocents:

Back