• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU's New Stomping Grounds

Grizaholic16

I forgot all about the JMU stadium expansion.

They have big things in mind obviously. As I recall, this is just "phase 1".

Seat capacity: 24,877
Today's Attendance: 25,102

This looks bigger than Wa/Griz, and it is only 25k? This must have cost millions upon millions of dollars. And who knew JMU's fan base was so large. The things I find out whilst boredom sets in.

OWUKWANSKELLEJI.20110911030059.jpg

On a game note: They won 14-9 against a sub par Central Connecticut State after a whomp at North Caroline

EverettGriz said:
Looks great. JMU has not hidden their desire to move up, and that facility certainly helps.
Doesn't hurt that your school is named after the greatest mind in American history either.

It looks cool, but what is with only having seats on half the field? Doesn't even compare to Washington Griz.

Going to hard to fill a stadium when your offense puts up 14 a game-Mickie Mathews is a world class pecker wood-a state champion douche bag-Captain of all a$$holes. Most arrogant coments ever after winning a championship hands down. I would love to see our boys shove it up his A$$ sideways again that was priceless. Nice pics of the stadium of darkness-Lex Luther might as well be living there IMO-No liky JMU.

grizaremoregooder said:
Going to hard to fill a stadium when your offense puts up 14 a game-Mickie Mathews is a world class pecker wood-a state champion douche bag-Captain of all a$$holes. Most arrogant coments ever after winning a championship hands down. I would love to see our boys shove it up his A$$ sideways again that was priceless. Nice pics of the stadium of darkness-Lex Luther might as well be living there IMO-No liky JMU.
really? you sound torn....

grizaremoregooder said:

coolstory.jpg

All jokes aside I too have a distaste for JMU.

It looks like they have some great expectations about their future attendance. The look is very unbalanced, and to bring it back into architectural balance they will have seating capacity for 60,000 or more. They'll never get there without membership in a BCS conference. Wonder what they are seeing that the rest of us aren't. Dittos on HC Mickey "Mouse" Matthews, what a tool.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxibToE1S7A[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxibToE1S7A

Should look good once they do the other side. While I agree it is financially risky to jump all the way up to 60,000 seats, aren't administrations like UM's and App's missing a lot of revenue potential by operating at 110% capacity each year? Optimally, wouldn't 90-95% capacity with expansion be the goal? I would think UM could do another 5k-10k seats easily without risking too much loss and raise the profit ceiling.

I agree. I think UM should do the south endzone expansion that I heard was on the table last year.

And do the lights (which was also on the table).

Anyway...I agree with the JMU HC. I remember what he said back in 2004 (I believe it was).

Completely classless coach. JMU won't be pulling in a great revenue once they start getting thumped by their conference. They aren't doing so hot right now. 14-9 against CCSU? Really?

Put in lights first please...it was hot as hell yesterday and it would have been much better to float the river and show up about 5PM for a tailgate

hlnagriz said:
It looks cool, but what is with only having seats on half the field? Doesn't even compare to Washington Griz.

Actually smart planning. Looks like it can be expanded to 70,000. Wash Griz will max out at maybe 40,000 and there will be no more room.

What conference would JMU join if they moved up? The only reason for a 70,000 seat stadium is if they would be in a high level conference - Big Least?

Grizaholic16 said:

This looks bigger than Wa/Griz, and it is only 25k?

No end zone seating on one end, I believe.

AZGrizFan said:
Grizaholic16 said:

This looks bigger than Wa/Griz, and it is only 25k?

No end zone seating on one end, I believe.

yeah the athletic facility blocks the endzone on one side (like OSU)...but still...that upper level is giant.

From the Harrisonburg Daily News Record.

HARRISONBURG - If you’ve been pining for James Madison to seriously consider a jump to Division I-A football, you’re going to like this: Athletic director Jeff Bourne said Monday it could happen sooner than anyone expected.

So what are the odds of Madison moving up?

“I think it is very likely something like this could happen,” Bourne said. “I would guess you could see movement in 18-24 months.”

App. State, JMU, UMass, Villanova. We're losing the cream of the crop to IA.

Back