• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching Carosel

BigPawzSharpClawz

It may not be the head guy but all of these coaches have fine assistants that will be looking for a work. A quality FCS program like Montana will draw strong interest if positioned correctly by the AD & President.

Gene Chiznick - Auburn
Frank Spaziani - Boston College
Jeff Tedford - California
John Embry - Colorado
Danny Hope - Purdue
Tom O'Brien - NC State
Derek Dooley - Tennessee
Not to mention, Akey, Cubit, JL Smith & Joker Philips!

"The Pride & Tradition of the Montana Grizzlies will not be entrusted to the timid or the weak!" This includes our administration. So, get to work gentlemen. Show Griz Nation that you can be entrusted with the Golden Goose of the University.

Go Griz

I am not so sure the current President would think he was much more comfortable and secure if the Griz were a mid conference team. Only time will tell how dedicated he is to athletic excellence.

This is a great list if coaches that are on the way out and no doubt have some good assistants on board. Out of that group some would have interest in the Griz. Honestly my big concern is our leadership. Engstrom in his way has show his concern for UM, however he has not shown much concern in the way of UM football. Engstrom gives the impression he would be completely happy with a team that went 2-8, or 5-6. Well shucks the old ball club dropped another game. I really do not believe Engstrom has a real clue as to what UM football has done and given to UM in a positive manner. Oh I sure he can list the bad but wha about the good?

Kent H I think is just a puppet for Engstrom. Call it a gut feeling but I do not think Kent H has any decision making ability. When a new coac is hire Engstrom will decided.

My fear is Engstrom will not recognize the importance of all of this until the damage is done. We are already seeing the start of it.

I hope I am wrong but to this but I do not think I am.

Gaeilge1 said:
Smith will not be back at Arkansas.

Do I remember that coach Tommy Lee almost went to Weber 2 years ago to help Smith? A couple of friends. OC...Tommy Lee - I still think he has his home in Dillon, although spending big time in Honolulu, and he was lurking around here last here helping the staff.

Regarding your above list; they've been paid big money in their programs, however short the tenure. I doubt if any would be interested in FCS. Maybe one of their assistants as you mentioned, but always remember that we are just a stepping stone for coaches to move on.

RABIDAWG said:
Gaeilge1 said:
Smith will not be back at Arkansas.

Do I remember that coach Tommy Lee almost went to Weber 2 years ago to help Smith? A couple of friends. OC...Tommy Lee - I still think he has his home in Dillon, although spending big time in Honolulu, and he was lurking around here last here helping the staff.

Regarding your above list; they've been paid big money in their programs, however short the tenure. I doubt if any would be interested in FCS. Maybe one of their assistants as you mentioned, but always remember that we are just a stepping stone for coaches to move on.

I like the idea of trying to get Tommy Lee back as OC

OrgonGriz said:
This is a great list if coaches that are on the way out and no doubt have some good assistants on board. Out of that group some would have interest in the Griz. Honestly my big concern is our leadership. Engstrom in his way has show his concern for UM, however he has not shown much concern in the way of UM football. Engstrom gives the impression he would be completely happy with a team that went 2-8, or 5-6. Well shucks the old ball club dropped another game. I really do not believe Engstrom has a real clue as to what UM football has done and given to UM in a positive manner. Oh I sure he can list the bad but wha about the good?

Kent H I think is just a puppet for Engstrom. Call it a gut feeling but I do not think Kent H has any decision making ability. When a new coac is hire Engstrom will decided.

My fear is Engstrom will not recognize the importance of all of this until the damage is done. We are already seeing the start of it.

I agree totally about your comments regarding Engstrom and Kent-y. That is why Engstrom has to go, and Kent was a bad hire from the get-go.

BigPawzSharpClawz said:
It may not be the head guy but all of these coaches have fine assistants that will be looking for a work. A quality FCS program like Montana will draw strong interest if positioned correctly by the AD & President.

Gene Chiznick - Auburn
Frank Spaziani - Boston College
Jeff Tedford - California
John Embry - Colorado
Danny Hope - Purdue
Tom O'Brien - NC State
Derek Dooley - Tennessee
Not to mention, Akey, Cubit, JL Smith & Joker Philips!

"The Pride & Tradition of the Montana Grizzlies will not be entrusted to the timid or the weak!" This includes our administration. So, get to work gentlemen. Show Griz Nation that you can be entrusted with the Golden Goose of the University.

Go Griz

John Embry is a great guy. His problem is allocating and organizing his staff. He has a long way to go in terms of better preparation and results. He would be best served to learning the ropes under an extremely organized coach. I think he will always be a very good position coach, and not a lot more. I don't have much faith in his staff beyond, Bienemy (SP?)

Big no thank you to John L Smith.

I would love it, if it were possible, to get Tedford or Dooley. Realistically speaking, I doubt any of these coaches would be in the cards. These guys seem pretty unobtainable for the GRIZ.

So, if a guy has to be a puppet to his boss or bosses, that makes him a bad hire, WTF? That is the job for anyone with bosses, at any position with any company. Unless, you are fortunate to have full authority to your job as feel necessary, and 100% empowered. That is wrong, and crazy to degrade, or insult KH, like that. Like it or not, he has to do job has directed by his boss or bosses. So please lay off the insults to KH. News flash for you all, O'day was pretty much under the same conditions under Dennison. I am sure O'Day would made other decisions it it were 100% up to him.

Cannot fault a guy for doing what their boss or bosses want.

Bear Pause said:
OrgonGriz said:

I agree totally about your comments regarding Engstrom and Kent-y. That is why Engstrom has to go, and Kent was a bad hire from the get-go.

Man...... I wonder who this could be??????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The local sports media is circling the wagons for Jon Embree big time. They remember him from his days at Cherry Creek HS and CU during the winning years. And now they want another coach with ties to the state and the program. That sound familiar? In truth, Embree's staff was clueless from the get-go and even a fairly young team made way too many mistakes and mental errors. That sound familiar?

At least Colorado was able to do something about it...

Silvertip said:
The local sports media is circling the wagons for Jon Embree big time. They remember him from his days at Cherry Creek HS and CU during the winning years. And now they want another coach with ties to the state and the program. That sound familiar? In truth, Embree's staff was clueless from the get-go and even a fairly young team made way too many mistakes and mental errors. That sound familiar?

At least Colorado was able to do something about it...

Well said, silvertip. Very true statement on the perception of Embry down here.

OrgonGriz said:

I believe you are wrong about Haslam; time will tell.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
I am not so sure the current President would think he was much more comfortable and secure if...

Especially if the Head Coach is drawing a bigger pay check that even the President of the University, like some programs have it.

OrgonGriz said:

You are wrong on Kent. He is a stand-up guy and will do a great job. Have you ever spoken to him? Do you know him? Take an opportunity to speak with him and, in my opinion, you will be impressed.

Griz1 said:
OrgonGriz said:

You are wrong on Kent. He is a stand-up guy and will do a great job. Have you ever spoken to him? Do you know him? Take an opportunity to speak with him and, in my opinion, you will be impressed.

I don't have to speak to him to know he is the wrong pick. This isn't a personality contest. He was another insider. We do not need another insider. Don't we ever learn?

Bear Pause said:
Griz1 said:
OrgonGriz said:

I don't have to speak to him to know he is the wrong pick. This isn't a personality contest. He was another insider. We do not need another insider. Don't we ever learn?

So, regardless of who the person is, or how long he has been at UM, or in what capacity, or how he has performed, he is automatically disqualified because he is an 'insider'?

I have said on several other threads that I have grave concerns with the direction Griz football is going. Unfortunately I well remember the days in the 60's when two Presidents (Newbun and Johns) deemphasized athletics and the result was disastrous The potential for the same scenario is now upon us. HC who is a great guy but at age 70+ has no business in the world coaching. Then a President and a certain Board Of Regents member who are bent on controlling things and showing that athletics are not important. Things are not going to get better for a period of time and I think that is the plan, otherwise Delaney would never have been named HC. MSU is quickly passing us in football and if we are not careful, they will do the same in other athletics, then academics and finally overall prestige. MSU has a very aggressive and progressive leader who clearly understands the importance of athletics while at the same time stressing academics and building.(just think a business school to compete with UM) I remain confident that things will eventually improve but it is going to be awhile and we also need to get some new blood on campus. Think about it President was inside hire as was AD and so was Delaney--is there a message or pattern here? Hang in there everyone but prepare yoursleves for a wild ride.

Bear Pause said:
Griz1 said:
OrgonGriz said:

don't you ever learn pickly boy? gfy

Griz66 said:
I have said on several other threads that I have grave concerns with the direction Griz football is going. Unfortunately I well remember the days in the 60's when two Presidents (Newbun and Johns) deemphasized athletics and the result was disastrous The potential for the same scenario is now upon us. HC who is a great guy but at age 70+ has no business in the world coaching. Then a President and a certain Board Of Regents member who are bent on controlling things and showing that athletics are not important. Things are not going to get better for a period of time and I think that is the plan, otherwise Delaney would never have been named HC. MSU is quickly passing us in football and if we are not careful, they will do the same in other athletics, then academics and finally overall prestige. MSU has a very aggressive and progressive leader who clearly understands the importance of athletics while at the same time stressing academics and building.(just think a business school to compete with UM) I remain confident that things will eventually improve but it is going to be awhile and we also need to get some new blood on campus. Think about it President was inside hire as was AD and so was Delaney--is there a message or pattern here? Hang in there everyone but prepare yoursleves for a wild ride.

Great analysis of what is happening at UM, and also at MSU. UM has been falling behind MSU for several years now with regards to developing the university as a partner for business development in the Bozeman area. Bozeman is a hotbed now for emerging businesses, while UM languishes under the left-wing "no growth" philosophy prevalent in our liberal city. While many in Missoulians drive around with "Co-exist" and "Celebrate Diversity" bumper stickers, Bozeman is exploding with new high-paying employment opportunities. While we proudly proclaim that we are the transient capital of the Northwest, Bozeman prospers.

It is no shock to me that UM's fall enrollment went down for the first time in many years, while MSU's skyrocketed.

Engstrom seems clueless to the marketing power that the Grizzly football brings both to the university itself, and the Missoula community. It is the #1 force in promoting these two entities. But he does not get it. He fits right with the liberal left-wing philosophy embraced by this community.

He has to go. If not, MSU will continue to prosper, while UM continues its downward spiral.

And, Haslam is not the answer as AD. He is a puppet, not good enough to run the second rate athletic program at Northern Arizona, but good enough to run ours? Please.

Back