• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JJ Trial

bluemarlin2

Can the judge in this trial dictate the use of a supermajority or is that just in civil trials?

Also, if there is just one Gwen on the jury which results in a hung jury it appears that there is no time limit on how long the prosecution has to re-charge. It could be years that they leave this hanging. Wouldn't this end any chance of JJ ever playing for UM again?

while i didn't want to partake in the williams-thug thread because frankly it's embarrasing...i do have a question in regards to the jj trial...

it's my understanding that jury duty selection starts tomorrow? how in the hell can you find a jury in a small community like missoula and expect there to be no bias? seems this will a pretty high profile case considering the accused and the community. what steps are in place to make sure this guy and his accuser get a fair trial?

Believe it or not there are a fair number of folks who could care less about the University football program.

As unbelievable as it may seem, there are more than 12 people in this town who don't care about UM football. Some of them sit in my section apparently.

ilovethecats said:
while i didn't want to partake in the williams-thug thread because frankly it's embarrasing...i do have a question in regards to the jj trial...

it's my understanding that jury duty selection starts tomorrow? how in the hell can you find a jury in a small community like missoula and expect there to be no bias? seems this will a pretty high profile case considering the accused and the community. what steps are in place to make sure this guy and his accuser get a fair trial?

In my experience as juror the judge simply asked prospective jurors if they have heard or read about the case and whether they have heard or seen anything that would not allow them to render an impartial decision. As long as you could say that you could be impartial, you were ok for the jury.

mcg said:
ilovethecats said:

In my experience as juror the judge simply asked prospective jurors if they have heard or read about the case and whether they have heard or seen anything that would not allow them to render an impartial decision. As long as you could say that you could be impartial, you were ok for the jury.

thanks. that's more of what i was looking for. i am very aware that some people in missoula don't care about football. i wasn't implying that. i just thought that when selecting a jury if anyone had heard of the acused, the accuser, or the allegations then they couldn't be on the jury. just thought that if this was indeed true of what is asked of jurors...if that was even possible in a small community like missoula.

in other words, you don't have to be a fan of the griz. but you have to live under a rock if you haven't heard anything about jordan johnson or the accusations.

I doubt there are many in town who haven't heard of it. Even people who don't follow the Griz athletics have heard of it, and talk about it. The town is also full of activists on both sides. Those that side with the victim, and those that side with the athlete. Not all of those tell the truth when asked, which could make it very tough to pick an impartial jury.

I read this morning that over 200 of the 400 potential jurors had already been dismissed, so there must have been some sort of questionnaire filled out that is causing that. Hard to believe the judge would let that many out for work and other issues.

I was on a jury panel quite a while ago for a murder case. Something like 250 jurors. I was way down at the bottom of the list, and did not get selected, but the judge wouldn't let anyone out for work, etc. Just told the jurors to bring in their employers and have them explain to the judge why the employee couldn't get out of work. Interestingly, no employers showed up... :)

ya kind of what i was getting at. seems that finding a jury could be quite the task with such a high profile case and a pretty small community. anyone know how long this process usually takes?

images

Grizo.....you gotta be this tall to read the questionnaire.............so your screwed

:coffee:

Bear Axed said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
Bear Axed... you got an invite! Tell us what you saw. C'mon man :thumb:
can't yet, I'm still in :thumb:

Oh my god. If you were to get selected, somewhere on bcn there would be about 619 heads which would simultaneously explode! :lol:

EverettGriz said:
Bear Axed said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

Oh my god. If you were to get selected, somewhere on bcn there would be about 619 heads which would simultaneously explode! :lol:
He has been my secret bff ever since he dropped the gem about getting called :lol: :lol: :lol:

NorthEndZoneDan said:
EverettGriz said:
Bear Axed said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:

He has been my secret bff ever since he dropped the gem about getting called :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clearly, we can now definitively say that one of the inquiries on the questionnaire is NOT: "How many times have you been banned from bcn?". :lol: :lol:

EverettGriz said:
NorthEndZoneDan said:
EverettGriz said:
Bear Axed said:

Clearly, we can now definitively say that one of the inquiries on the questionnaire is NOT: "How many times have you been banned from bcn?". :lol: :lol:
Or "Who is this Chris and why is egriz?" :lol:

Back