• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UPDATED Petition regarding Pat Williams

BWahlberg

DONOR
I was emailed this by the organizers of this petition. If you are interested in adding your name to it send me an email and I'll pass your name along. [email protected]

Petition to Governor Steve Bullock of and Boards of Regents

We are the families, friends and supporters of the University of Montana, and the Montana Grizzlies Football Team.

We are petitioning you to publicly censure and terminate Mr. Pat Williams for statements that were not merely irresponsible, but directly and intentionally damaging to the student athletes and those associated with the University of Montana.

Mr. Williams is appointed and compensated to serve the citizens of our state and the higher education system. The recent public statements impugning all football players and the University not only breaches his duty to responsibly and objectively support our higher education system, but worse, it creates yet another highly public and local example of hate speech, social division and inflamed rhetoric.

Mr. Williams is an experienced public official who has been appointed by you to serve the citizens of Montana, our University system, our students and our athletes. He has breached this responsibility.
Publically labeling our football players as “thugs” is obviously untrue and knowingly damaging. These young men have dedicated the better part of their lives to achieve this level of collegiate athletics, resulting in nationally recognized academic and athletic excellence. What would you suggest we tell these young men now? That it is acceptable to issue such untrue and reckless statements? That our Governor and the Board of Regents, condone such actions?

Stating that the football coaches and the University administration are incompetent and irresponsible in their recruiting practices is untrue and damaging to all students and citizens of our State. These statements are likely to negatively impact the national standing of the University of Montana by hindering fundraising and the ability to attract quality students and teachers and by tainting our graduates for years to come.

Mr. Williams’s statements are now national news. Your decisive action to publicly censure and terminate Mr. Williams will also be national news.

We demand that you send a clear statement that Montana holds our public officials accountable, that we value our promises to our citizens, and we value our academic institutions, its students and its student athletes.

Your failure to take actions clearly within your power will be correctly viewed as tacit endorsement of Mr. William’s statements.

We are MONTANA;

EDIT:

Here's the revised letter:

Petition to Governor Steve Bullock and Montana Senate members:

We are the families, friends and supporters of The University of Montana, and the Montana Grizzlies Football. We are petitioning you to oppose the confirmation of former Governor Brian Schweitzer’s appointment of Mr. Pat Williams to the Board of Regents. We are seeking his removal for statements that were not merely irresponsible, but directly and intentionally damaging to the student athletes and those associated with The University of Montana.

Mr. Williams is appointed and compensated his expenses to serve the citizens of our state and the higher education system. The recent public statements impugning the football players and the University not only breaches his duty to responsibly and objectively support the entire higher education system, but worse, it creates yet another highly public and local example of hate speech, social division and inflamed rhetoric.

Mr. Williams is an experienced public official who was appointed to serve the citizens of Montana, our University system, and all students, some of whom are athletes. He has breached this responsibility by publicly, and in his capacity as a member of the Board of Regents, labeling our football players as “thugs.” This statement was made with the clear objective to paint a very bad picture of our athletes and the overall integrity of the athletic department at Montana. These young men have dedicated the better part of their lives to achieve this level of collegiate athletics, resulting in nationally recognized academic and athletic excellence. What would you suggest we tell these young men now? That it is acceptable to issue such reckless statements? Does our Governor and Legislature condone such actions?

Stating that the football coaches and the University administration are incompetent and irresponsible in their recruiting practices is untrue and damaging to all students and the citizens of our State. These comments are likely to negatively impact the national standing of The University of Montana by hindering fundraising, the ability to attract quality students and teachers and by tainting our graduates for years to come.

Mr. Williams’s statements are now national news. Your decisive action to terminate the appointment of Mr. Williams will also be national news. We encourage you to send a clear message that Montana holds its public officials accountable, that it value its promises to citizens, and that it values the state’s academic institutions, students and student athletes.

Your failure to take actions clearly within your power will be correctly viewed as tacit endorsement of Mr. William’s statements.

We are MONTANA;
Signatures:

This is the same petition linked to this KPAX story from last night:

http://www.kpax.com/news/some-want-pat-williams-off-board-of-regents/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MISSOULA - The uproar continues over statements made last week by Board of regents member Pat Williams about the football program at the University of Montana.

The Montana Quarterback Club is circulating a petition, asking that Williams be ousted as a regent.

The petition asks Gov. Steve Bullock and the Board of Regents to "publicly censure and terminate Mr. Pat Williams for statements that were not merely irresponsible but directly and intentionally damaging to the student athletes and those associated with the University of Montana."

Williams said in a New York Times article and an espn.com story that UM must stop recruiting thugs to the football program. He told us he was in no way referring to the majority of players

Brint, could you suggest that the QB Club make this petition public and available online somehow so that folks could quickly and easily add their names? I know a number of people who want to get behind this.

firmgriz said:
Brint, could you suggest that the QB Club make this petition public and available online somehow so that folks could quickly and easily add their names? I know a number of people who want to get behind this.

I'll ask, I think the current "email me so I can email them" is a little clunky. Isn't there a website where one can easily create petitions?

BWahlberg said:
firmgriz said:

I'll ask, I think the current "email me so I can email them" is a little clunky. Isn't there a website where one can easily create petitions?

Try http://www.signon.org or http://www.change.org.

I'm sure there are others as well, but these are two of the biggest (with full Facebook and Twitter integration).

Its prolly to late now, but I don't believe being a member of the BOR is a paid position.

Might not it be more productive to lobby the members of the State Senate to not confirm his nomination. I think there would be a pretty strong group that would love to reject him, that would be the Republicans.

mcg said:
Might not it be more productive to lobby the members of the State Senate to not confirm his nomination. I think there would be a pretty strong group that would love to reject him, that would be the Republicans.

The plan is to send this to both Bullock and those who have to approve him in the Senate

That letter could have been written better. You could have just said something like, Mister Governor, could you pretty please fire that jerk that spouted off and said mean things about our favorite football team that some of us don't agree with? Good luck with the cause.
:coffee:

As a Bobcat fan, I will sign this petition in support. I feel the statements were reckless at best. I am sure many of my fellow Bobcat fans will also sign it!

bigsky33 said:
As a Bobcat fan, I will sign this petition in support. I feel the statements were reckless at best. I am sure many of my fellow Bobcat fans will also sign it!

Not me. Some of the things he said probably needed to be said.

poorgriz said:
That letter could have been written better. You could have just said something like, Mister Governor, could you pretty please fire that jerk that spouted off and said mean things about our favorite football team that some of us don't agree with? Good luck with the cause.

Ha, ok thanks, I'll pass that along to the author

bigsky33 said:

Thanks 33. Nice to see that some Cat fans understand that irresponsible comments are just that, no matter which program they are directed at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a bobcat fan, do you really want to take the chance that his next irresponsible statements won't be directed at your program? He is reckless and feels that he is above the system. And did he really need to say anything to the national press? Do you honestly believe the problems weren't already identified a year ago and are well on their way to being resolved in Missoula?

PW is a loose cannon and a risk to both programs and the entire University system based upon his recent words and actions. Some cat fans may find this amusing, but if he feels entitled to go talk to Delaney about how to recruit, what do you think will stop him from meddling and causing problems in Bozeman when the shoe is on the other foot (and it invariably will be at some point during his potential 7+ year term).

He is a risk to both universities, and I applaud the cat fans who can rise above the rivalry to recognize that.

firmgriz said:
As a bobcat fan, do you really want to take the chance that his next irresponsible statements won't be directed at your program? He is reckless and feels that he is above the system. And did he really need to say anything to the national press? Do you honestly believe the problems weren't already identified a year ago and are well on their way to being resolved in Missoula?

PW is a loose cannon and a risk to both programs and the entire University system based upon his recent words and actions. Some cat fans may find this amusing, but if he feels entitled to go talk to Delaney about how to recruit, what do you think will stop him from meddling and causing problems in Bozeman when the shoe is on the other foot (and it invariably will be at some point during his potential 7+ year term).

He is a risk to both universities, and I applaud the cat fans who can rise above the rivalry to recognize that.

+1 :clap: Sadly, no program is immune to adversity and stupidity in this day and age. I would not wish the previous 12 months on any citizen, program or fan. Miserable experience and Mr. William's comments just make him look like the true ass he is. Regardless your political persuasion, this makes all politicians look the the D bags they really are. Know it all - do nothing SOB's.

Just sent my email to sign the petition. Hope something comes of this, comments like those cannot be acceptable from a public official.

BWahlberg said:
I was emailed this by the organizers of this petition. If you are interested in adding your name to it send me an email and I'll pass your name along. [email protected]

Petition to Governor Steve Bullock of and Boards of Regents...

Mr. Williams is an experienced public official who has been appointed by you to serve the citizens of Montana, our University system, our students and our athletes....

We are MONTANA;

If the following has been posted, my bad!

This is not quite true, Mr. Williams was appointed by former Governor Schweitzer not Governor Bullock.

cclarkblues said:
I'm all for publicly capturing and terminating Williams. Will it be on PPV?

This is truly brilliant Clark! We could raise money to benefit Montana children who, like PW, suffer from foot and mouth disease. I say we get Geddes to carry this out. He's a crack shot, has some time on his hands and we can probably hire him to do the job for a couple of bottles of rum.

poorgriz said:
Poorgriz doesn't realize that PW isn't a Cat fan either - he wants to downgrade and eliminate athletics in the MUS, which means anything that is directed at UM comes back to MSU (which also had a few football players arrested in the last year for thuggery as well, and just recruited a kid with a criminal record who had been arrested twice for drugs). That torpedo you want PW to fire poorgriz is coming right back at you. At least some Cat fans are smart enough to know this.

Back