• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring game countdown, player to watch: Marq Rogers

BWahlberg

DONOR
Considering the real limited info and coverage this weekend's spring game has had I figured I'd run some daily posts on players and position battles to watch.

A player to keep a close eye on this weekend is #16 Marq Rogers. The RS Frosh wide receiver has continued to impress this spring so far. He was fairly quiet in the first scrimmage, however most of the passing game was. In practice Marq's been the man. He was getting a lot of playing time with the 1st string with Walcott out this spring and Henderson out two weeks ago due to an illness.

JJ and SSH really like Rogers as a target. He's a taller guy at 6-3.5 but what really stands out about this guy is that when I've seen him practice, he catches darn near everything that comes his way. He's deceptively quick for his height too. He's been used in trick plays, short passes, deep passes, and seems to have good success jumping over his coverage on the sidelines.

The guy isn't flawless but is looking to be a contributor this season. He needs to add some muscle, still looks a little thin/light out there. Route running needs to be a little more precise, he's been relying on his size/length and catching to bail him out at times. Run blocking needs improvement.

Rogers could sneak into the group of Hendu, Jones, Walcott, and Haynes and become a WR that starts to contribute this year and ramp up into being a near every down guy once he's into his sophomore season.

And a reminder, the spring game is this Saturday at 6pm with a tailgate party starting at 4pm. Tickets are $5/person.

Two years ago Griz fans set an FCS spring game record with 8000 fans in attendance, they're aiming to break that record this year! Also remember, ticket sales proceeds go to helping athletics and fund athletic facilities upgrades.

902857_10151949398156682_912534788832456915_o.jpg

grizcountry420 said:
You turds took that bait and went with it...............

:lol:

no, they just called it like it is, whereas you seem to be engulfing the bait no matter how old and pathetic it might be.

BWahlberg said:
Considering the real limited info and coverage this weekend's spring game has had I figured I'd run some daily posts on players and position battles to watch.

A player to keep a close eye on this weekend is #16 Marq Rogers. The RS Frosh wide receiver has continued to impress this spring so far. He was fairly quiet in the first scrimmage, however most of the passing game was. In practice Marq's been the man. He was getting a lot of playing time with the 1st string with Walcott out this spring and Henderson out two weeks ago due to an illness.

JJ and SSH really like Rogers as a target. He's a taller guy at 6-3.5 but what really stands out about this guy is that when I've seen him practice, he catches darn near everything that comes his way. He's deceptively quick for his height too. He's been used in trick plays, short passes, deep passes, and seems to have good success jumping over his coverage on the sidelines.

The guy isn't flawless but is looking to be a contributor this season. He needs to add some muscle, still looks a little thin/light out there. Route running needs to be a little more precise, he's been relying on his size/length and catching to bail him out at times. Run blocking needs improvement.

Rogers could sneak into the group of Hendu, Jones, Walcott, and Haynes and become a WR that starts to contribute this year and ramp up into being a near every down guy once he's into his sophomore season.

Let's get this back on track...

Thanks Brint. Marq is hands down one of the most exciting true freshman players that I have witnessed for the Griz. He is tall, fluid, athletic, and he makes tough catches all over the field. So glad he red shirted this past season so he will be available for 4 more years. He will be an exciting player to watch. I honestly don't recall a single player in the last 10 or 15 years that showed up to play as frosh the way that Marq did last fall.

We should expect Rogers to contribute every bit as much here this season as Kupp contributed at EWU last season.

Once again Alpha wants to make all threads about him. As far as I am concerced he can take his star/bar flag of racism & his ittsy bittsy flag of sexism and shove it up the backside of his icon. But, that is all BS about that jerk, and has nothing to do with Marq Rogers, who stands a chance of being a very special Griz.

go96griz said:
Marq is hands down one of the most exciting true freshman players that I have witnessed for the Griz. He is tall, fluid, athletic, and he makes tough catches all over the field. So glad he red shirted this past season so he will be available for 4 more years. He will be an exciting player to watch. I honestly don't recall a single player in the last 10 or 15 years that showed up to play as frosh the way that Marq did last fall.

Considering he's 6'4" & 181 lbs. on the 2014 Spring Roster - all the rave reminds me and hence draws comparisons to another player that had the biometrics of 6'4" & 210 lbs during his college (I-AA) playing days:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD2YiL32pw0[/youtube]

Would be nice for a change that for once the Griz can turn the tables back on the I-AA and come up with a couple super stars themselves. Hope it's not all premature but that would be quite a trio if it works out: Henderson, Jones & Rogers.

WyomingGrizFan said:
Would be nice for a change that for once the Griz can turn the tables back on the I-AA and come up with a couple super stars themselves. Hope it's not all premature but that would be quite a trio if it works out: Henderson, Jones & Rogers.

Look at the skill in this offense.

QB: Jordan Johnson
RB: Jordan Canada, TraVon Van, Joey Counts.
WR: Ellis Henderson, Jamal Jones, Chase Naccarato, Taylor Walcott, Marq Rogers
TE: Jordan Harper, Mitch Saylor

Then add in role players like Nguyen and Favors at RB, Haynes, Burke, Berland, and Carver at WR, and Ralston at TE and Wilson at FB...

You've got one of the deepest rosters in terms of skill players (save QB). It comes down to how the O-line comes together and if the coaching staff can find consistency in play calling which produces continual week by week positive results and this could be quite the year for putting up points on the board.

BWahlberg said:
And a reminder, the spring game is this Saturday at 6pm with a tailgate party starting at 4pm. Tickets are $5/person.

Two years ago Griz fans set an FCS spring game record with 8000 fans in attendance, they're aiming to break that record this year! Also remember, ticket sales proceeds go to helping athletics and fund athletic facilities upgrades.

902857_10151949398156682_912534788832456915_o.jpg

Our tailgate will start between 2 and 3pm in lot M-1. Everybody welcome. Can't wait!

WyomingGrizFan said:
go96griz said:
Marq is hands down one of the most exciting true freshman players that I have witnessed for the Griz. He is tall, fluid, athletic, and he makes tough catches all over the field. So glad he red shirted this past season so he will be available for 4 more years. He will be an exciting player to watch. I honestly don't recall a single player in the last 10 or 15 years that showed up to play as frosh the way that Marq did last fall.

Considering he's 6'4" & 181 lbs. on the 2014 Spring Roster - all the rave reminds me and hence draws comparisons to another player that had the biometrics of 6'4" & 210 lbs during his college (I-AA) playing days:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD2YiL32pw0[/youtube]

and...you're comparing to Randy Moss ( one of the most talented freaks to EVER step on a football field) ? ... :silly: ... :egriz:

Back