• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

StandUpForTheGriz.com petition nearing 500 signatures

BWahlberg

DONOR
Thanks everyone for the support so far, I'd love to get this over 500 and closer to 1000 signatures. Make sure to pass the web link along to others who support this cause.

http://www.StandUpForTheGriz.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And remember the course of action here is give the University Administration notice that we, as fans, support their efforts in seeking a review and possible reduction in penalties. We're looking for leadership moving forward here.

...vindication and beer...
...the only two thingz we want...
...that shouldn't be to much to ask...

... :cool: ...

zengriz said:
...vindication and beer...
...the only two thingz we want...
...that shouldn't be to much to ask...

... :cool: ...

It would be nice if RE's "weak kneed" decisions and reactions would cease too. But that may be wishful thinking.

Wow, just read a post from Gerald Kemp's mother on Facebook on this subject. For those of you who want to get a perspective from a parent of a GRIZ player, she put it well and respectfully. It was great reading the perspective from a GRIZ parent. Basically, how would you feel if your son/daughter gave their life to a school/program for 4 to 5 years and be treated as if they never existed there? (that is my short summary, not hers. She puts it much better than I can.)

This and the O'day/Pflu firings are far from over in my opinion.

The comments on the petition are public but there's some real interesting ones to read in there.

Geraldine Kemp said:
When the witch hunt didn't turn up any sexual assault scandals, my son was used as the scapegoat. My son was tazed and arrested for standing on a lawn. Witnesses there -Football players and residents alike all came forth to to express this fact. Both the NCAA and Administrators acknowledged civil rights were violated in this incident. They understood that many attorneys work on a contingency basis when a civil suit is a possibility. Yet rather than fight for what is just, they used this incident to create violations to justify the firing of the two men who supported these student athletes and what was right. My son was held out of 8 games and was forced to pay $2000 to charity for the so called extra home cooked meals. He leaves with a $20K bill for attending on a scholarship. I'm left with several questions including why isn't sitting out 8 games and paying $2000 enough of a penalty? And why is a meal considered an extra benefit when he has $20K in loans to pay back? The scholarships are split, "extra" should mean over and above 100% coverage of room, tuition and board. That doesn't happen at the FCS level because they are NCAA allows the FCS to split the 63 scholarships they receive. My son earned his degree in Communications, but walk through Adams Hall and you will see no trace of him in the 2 NCAA Championship Appearances, the NCAA Semi-Final Appearance and 3 Big Sky Championships that he was a part of . He gave his blood, sweat and tears and was proud to wear the Grizzly uniform. When he was held out he did everything he could to support the team. The price he paid was enough of a penalty. The scholarships, Big Sky Championship and National Semi-Final Appearance all need to be reinstated.

Bob Beers said:
Because the administration threw the team under the bus and did not stand up for the other players on the team. Where was the compliance people when this was going on?? always wondered what happened to Compliance that the coaches rely on to advise them with NCAA rules. Seems they were the first to throw the coaches and players under the bus and fix the blame...always facinated me that this could happen from the people that are suppose to stand up for the University and the athletes. One old coach once told me-"get to the lockerroom first after the game - you can either take the credit - or fix the blame." Seems to me that they got to the lockerroom first and fixed the blame on the easiest and most defenseless people - the coaches and players and not where the problem really was - the administration...and compliance...

BWahlberg said:
The comments on the petition are public but there's some real interesting ones to read in there.

Geraldine Kemp said:
When the witch hunt didn't turn up any sexual assault scandals, my son was used as the scapegoat. My son was tazed and arrested for standing on a lawn. Witnesses there -Football players and residents alike all came forth to to express this fact. Both the NCAA and Administrators acknowledged civil rights were violated in this incident. They understood that many attorneys work on a contingency basis when a civil suit is a possibility. Yet rather than fight for what is just, they used this incident to create violations to justify the firing of the two men who supported these student athletes and what was right. My son was held out of 8 games and was forced to pay $2000 to charity for the so called extra home cooked meals. He leaves with a $20K bill for attending on a scholarship. I'm left with several questions including why isn't sitting out 8 games and paying $2000 enough of a penalty? And why is a meal considered an extra benefit when he has $20K in loans to pay back? The scholarships are split, "extra" should mean over and above 100% coverage of room, tuition and board. That doesn't happen at the FCS level because they are NCAA allows the FCS to split the 63 scholarships they receive. My son earned his degree in Communications, but walk through Adams Hall and you will see no trace of him in the 2 NCAA Championship Appearances, the NCAA Semi-Final Appearance and 3 Big Sky Championships that he was a part of . He gave his blood, sweat and tears and was proud to wear the Grizzly uniform. When he was held out he did everything he could to support the team. The price he paid was enough of a penalty. The scholarships, Big Sky Championship and National Semi-Final Appearance all need to be reinstated.

Bob Beers said:
Because the administration threw the team under the bus and did not stand up for the other players on the team. Where was the compliance people when this was going on?? always wondered what happened to Compliance that the coaches rely on to advise them with NCAA rules. Seems they were the first to throw the coaches and players under the bus and fix the blame...always facinated me that this could happen from the people that are suppose to stand up for the University and the athletes. One old coach once told me-"get to the lockerroom first after the game - you can either take the credit - or fix the blame." Seems to me that they got to the lockerroom first and fixed the blame on the easiest and most defenseless people - the coaches and players and not where the problem really was - the administration...and compliance...

Good info Brint. But again, why not start a petition to have RE fired? The NCAA penalties were self imposed. RE was weak kneed. He is a poor leader and a poor decision maker. He himself was the main problem in this whole fiasco. You spearheaded a very enthusiastic campaign against that Williams guy. You obviously have some momentum with this project. Why not take on a project that would solve the problem? You could probably get thousands of signatures in a few hours. Just sayin......

CV Griz Fan said:
Good info Brint. But again, why not start a petition to have RE fired? The NCAA penalties were self imposed. RE was weak kneed. He is a poor leader and a poor decision maker. He himself was the main problem in this whole fiasco. You spearheaded a very enthusiastic campaign against that Williams guy. You obviously have some momentum with this project. Why not take on a project that would solve the problem? You could probably get thousands of signatures in a few hours. Just sayin......

A valid question, however I don't think a petition in that case would do much, and I think that the debate of Engstrom's role as president is much more diverse and wide-spread than just athletics. I'll leave that decision to others who are more qualified and better informed than me to make that decision.

Pat Williams confirmation to the board of regents had a direct audience, a single cause, and was a focused effort. This request for the appeal is the same. I feel that's where my efforts are the best suited.

BWahlberg said:

Geraldine Kemp said:

Bob Beers said:

Here is another good post from Rob Oviatt.
Rob Oviatt Where do I sign! Support this 100%. The outcome of the NCAA was hurtful, and affected many innocent people. The most disturbing thing to me has been asking myself, did the University have the involved players like your son's back? Did they fight, and I mean really fight, for the players and the program? And on top of it all, absolutely NO transparency in the decision making, and reasons, for the whole mess. Bury your head in the sand, or hide, and hope everything goes away. Incidentally, there are still people who don't realize that the sanctions were NOT imposed by the NCAA. We put the rope around our own necks, and then slapped our own horse. In the coaching world, before you can hold others accountable, you first have to hold yourself accountable. Can someone tell me where in the hell the transparency and accountability is in all of this from UM administrators?

EverettGriz said:
Lotta blame being tossed about.

Not a great deal of accountability being taken.

I have been saying this for years.

Hire different people and this problem goes away, but we just have a bunch of entrenched douchebags running UM and their only concern is watching the back of the person they are related to, by blood or by friendship.......you know...the exact thing they should be protecting on the student athlete side.

Quit acting surprised.

Oh and I love how Kemps mom acts like here kid should get to go to school for free and hes entitled to not have any debt after college.

God I hate this country.

i'm not saying i agree with what engstrom did, but you can't beat the guy up, then ask him to go to the n.c.a.a. seeking a reduction, while continuing to beat him up. can you?

and is 511 signatures a lot? this doesn't seem to be picking up much steam. how many of the 511 are former players and their parents and coaches and win at all cost types?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
EverettGriz said:
Lotta blame being tossed about.

Not a great deal of accountability being taken.

I have been saying this for years.

Hire different people and this problem goes away, but we just have a bunch of entrenched douchebags running UM and their only concern is watching the back of the person they are related to, by blood or by friendship.......you know...the exact thing they should be protecting on the student athlete side.

Quit acting surprised.

Oh and I love how Kemps mom acts like here kid should get to go to school for free and hes entitled to not have any debt after college.

God I hate this country.

except the last part i agree that this has been the major problem for years at montana

getgrizzy said:
i'm not saying i agree with what engstrom did, but you can't beat the guy up, then ask him to go to the n.c.a.a. seeking a reduction, while continuing to beat him up. can you?

and is 511 signatures a lot? this doesn't seem to be picking up much steam. how many of the 511 are former players and their parents and coaches and win at all cost types?

That's why it isn't the plan - this is to give support to President Engstrom to request this review. I'm not interested in dragging him through the mud or work on a petition against him. What I want (and what others want) is a reduction in scholarship losses and this hopefully gives him support to take action on it.

No clue if 511 is a lot. We had 1200 for Pat Williams, I would love it if this could get over 1000 for this... tough to say what compare this to. And looking at many of the signers it seems widely like fans/boosters/supporters. Not seeing current parents names, current players names, or current administration.

LongTimeCatFan said:
You guys are funny.... But ya don't like hearing the truth

:coffee:

Haha. The truth is you took the biggest beatdown I have seen on a message board in years. :lol: That's the real truth, douche.

Don't get me started on the kittys. Not tonight.

Back