• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sunday New York Times 4/13 story...

Silvertip

... on the ongoing battle between Missoula county's Fred Van Valkenburg and the DOJ, which the NYT seems to be as suspicious of for its meddling tactics as most everybody else. UM issues mentioned, but not to wretched excess...

Silvertip said:
... on the ongoing battle between Missoula county's Fred Van Valkenburg and the DOJ, which the NYT seems to be as suspicious of for its meddling tactics as most everybody else. UM issues mentioned, but not to wretched excess...
Link?

kemajic said:
Silvertip said:
Link?

Sorry. My newspapering daughter bought me the Sunday NYT as a birthday present for home delivery. Too liberal for my taste, but found the article while highgrading it for something worth reading...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/us/accusation-in-montana-of-treating-rape-lightly-stirs-unlikely-public-fight.html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"But Mark Muir, Missoula’s former police chief, said it was time that somebody pushed back against what he called the Justice Department’s aggressive overreach. He said federal investigators had misrepresented facts and details during their investigations to create narratives of a town that discriminated against people who had been sexually assaulted and then strong-armed the police and the university into agreeing to follow the federal government’s own prescriptions for improvement.

“I see a pattern and practice of severe bullying and misuse of their statutory authority,” Mr. Muir said."

"They [county prosecutors] said that their prosecution rate was higher than rates in major metropolitan areas like San Diego and Salt Lake Counties and that their conviction rate was slightly higher than estimated national averages."

"He and two of his top prosecutors said it was unthinkable that anyone in their office would tell someone who had been assaulted that she was only seeking revenge, or that a prosecutor would dismiss any assailant’s behavior as “boys being boys.” Mr. Van Valkenburg said that he had asked members of his staff, and that everyone had denied making any such comments."

"Suzy Boylan, Missoula County’s assistant chief criminal deputy prosecutor, contested the government’s conclusion that sexual-assault cases were a low priority in the office. She said that she had worked with a sexual-assault response team for 15 years and that her passion for prosecuting such cases had been a driving force behind her career."

"In late 2011, The Missoulian, which has uncovered many of these stories, published an account from a student who described how she had been sexually assaulted by football players after passing out at a house party." [I recall not such story even in the Missoulian. Did the NY Times writer just make this up?]

"In late 2011, The Missoulian, which has uncovered many of these stories, published an account from a student who described how she had been sexually assaulted by football players after passing out at a house party...."

Unfortunately for Gwen many of these "stories" turned out to be just that. It still irks me they let her print much of what she wrote but hey, it sold papers. Now....if her crime mystery books would just sell she won't be asking for her job back.

Funny that a NYT reporter could dig up a victim's witness advocate and a former police chief who flatly state DOJ is bullying its way through this community. Yet the Missoulian couldn't be bothered?

griz4life said:
Funny that a NYT reporter could dig up a victim's witness advocate and a former police chief who flatly state DOJ is bullying its way through this community. Yet the Missoulian couldn't be bothered?
The fact that the Missoulian couldn't ask Mark Muir, the police chief during this entire episode, as to his reactions is extraordinary. Regardless of what he said, wouldn't his comments be something the Missoulian would actively seek out? He's really the story, right?

Or did they? And just "chose" not to report the results.

This is Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff. How a local newspaper deliberately chose to pursue an agenda instead of reporting the actual news.

And did so because it thought it could win a Pulitzer Prize.

"Or did they? And just "chose" not to report the results."

That's not the way Florio works. Objective, unbiased, telling both sides of the story.

PlayerRep said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/us/accusation-in-montana-of-treating-rape-lightly-stirs-unlikely-public-fight.html?_r=0

"But Mark Muir, Missoula’s former police chief, said it was time that somebody pushed back against what he called the Justice Department’s aggressive overreach. He said federal investigators had misrepresented facts and details during their investigations to create narratives of a town that discriminated against people who had been sexually assaulted and then strong-armed the police and the university into agreeing to follow the federal government’s own prescriptions for improvement.

“I see a pattern and practice of severe bullying and misuse of their statutory authority,” Mr. Muir said."

"They [county prosecutors] said that their prosecution rate was higher than rates in major metropolitan areas like San Diego and Salt Lake Counties and that their conviction rate was slightly higher than estimated national averages."

"He and two of his top prosecutors said it was unthinkable that anyone in their office would tell someone who had been assaulted that she was only seeking revenge, or that a prosecutor would dismiss any assailant’s behavior as “boys being boys.” Mr. Van Valkenburg said that he had asked members of his staff, and that everyone had denied making any such comments."

"Suzy Boylan, Missoula County’s assistant chief criminal deputy prosecutor, contested the government’s conclusion that sexual-assault cases were a low priority in the office. She said that she had worked with a sexual-assault response team for 15 years and that her passion for prosecuting such cases had been a driving force behind her career."

"In late 2011, The Missoulian, which has uncovered many of these stories, published an account from a student who described how she had been sexually assaulted by football players after passing out at a house party." [I recall not such story even in the Missoulian. Did the NY Times writer just make this up?]

That is what the DOJ under Holder does, I despise both political parties but would be curious what would happen if team red could get payback in this case. Holder is a partisan hack and anyone that says otherwise is also a partisan hack. It fit the D campaign which was "the war on wimminz". And it worked. So expect it to continue...John Mitchell got jail time (as he should have). Holder may find himself in a similar situation.

UMGriz75 said:
griz4life said:
The fact that the Missoulian couldn't ask Mark Muir, the police chief during this entire episode, as to his reactions is extraordinary. Regardless of what he said, wouldn't his comments be something the Missoulian would actively seek out? He's really the story, right?

This is Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff. How a local newspaper deliberately chose to pursue an agenda instead of reporting the actual news.

Lol/sarc 75,beauty guy.

UMGriz75 said:
griz4life said:

if you use a search engine you'll see muir quoted on numerous occasions by florio and that muir wrote a guest column (feb 18, 2014) in the missoulian. he uses the terms bully and pit bulls to describe the d.o.j. repeatedly. it's definitely worth another read. muir also referred all queries to the justice dept when the investigation was announced. as in, hey don't ask me!

PlayerRep said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/us/accusation-in-montana-of-treating-rape-lightly-stirs-unlikely-public-fight.html?_r=0

I appreciate your summary, but literally the words "an account" from the last paragraph in your post from the actual article are a hyperlink to the Missoulian article you do not recall.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/st...cle_5fd79f90-2b8f-11e1-a73a-0019bb2963f4.html

grizfan95 said:
PlayerRep said:

I appreciate your summary, but literally the words "an account" from the last paragraph in your post from the actual article are a hyperlink to the Missoulian article you do not recall.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/st...cle_5fd79f90-2b8f-11e1-a73a-0019bb2963f4.html

Thanks. Missed that this time around. I guess I didn't quite associate what was said in the article to "passing out". Also, I had discounted this accuser's statements long ago, as she seemed to have told inconsistent stories, or at least that was my impression; the police investigated the matter twice (a year apart) and declined to proceed; the women's friend refused to back up the woman's story; and even the belated university/kangaroo court apparently eventually ruled 7-0 in favor of one or more of the players and one/some of the other university proceedings where then dropped. I believe this is the one that got described in the jezebel.com article too. See 17th para. http://jezebel.com/5908472/my-weekend-in-americas-so-called-rape-capital" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This goes to show that once something gets into the paper, even if later completely discredited, it can live on--especially with a media that cares more about doing a story than being accurate and complete.

PlayerRep said:
grizfan95 said:
PlayerRep said:

Thanks. Missed that this time around. I guess I didn't quite associate what was said in the article to "passing out". Also, I had discounted this accuser's statements long ago, as she seemed to have told inconsistent stories, or at least that was my impression; the police investigated the matter twice (a year apart) and declined to proceed; the women's friend refused to back up the woman's story; and even the belated university/kangaroo court apparently eventually ruled 7-0 in favor of one or more of the players and one/some of the other university proceedings where then dropped. I believe this is the one that got described in the jezebel.com article too. See 17th para. http://jezebel.com/5908472/my-weekend-in-americas-so-called-rape-capital" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This goes to show that once something gets into the paper, even if later completely discredited, it can live on--especially with a media that cares more about doing a story than being accurate and complete.

Ain't that the effin truth. Thanks for sharing the other item!

PlayerRep said:
This goes to show that once something gets into the paper, even if later completely discredited, it can live on--especially with a media that cares more about doing a story than being accurate and complete.

Take for example how the media portrayed the Mcdonalds' coffee lawsuit despite what was determined to have happened by the court:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkL9UlmCOE[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkL9UlmCOE

Here's a brand new article on the Florida St/Winston sexual assault matter and investigation. Very interesting read. NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-on-rape-allegations-against-fsu-jamies-winston.html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grizcountry420 said:
Here's an interesting article that was at the top of the page of buzzfeed..

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/missoula-county-prosecutor-kirsten-pabst

Interesting. I was wondering if something like this was going to get out and into the campaign. If women or women's advocates want to elect the other guy over Pabst, they will get what they deserve. Pabst is terrific, smart, knowledgeable, and was very well-respected for her work in the county attorney's office.

She's the person who wrote the Jezebel.com article entitled "My Weekend In America's So-Called 'Rape Capital". http://jezebel.com/5908472/my-weekend-in-americas-so-called-rape-capital" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some info on the author of the article:

"BuzzFeed memo below:

I’m thrilled to announce Katie J.M. Baker will be joining the news team to cover criminal justice and other legal and social issues related to college campuses. Katie will be working closely with Jess Testa, who has been doing a great job heading up our rape culture coverage.

Katie is currently at Newsweek where she has done deep dives into the failures of mental health services at U.S. colleges and LGBT life in Ethiopia , and interviewed two of the women who claim to have been sexually assaulted by Bill Cosby. (She is the “frisky” “gal” reporter a source mentioned in Kate Authur’s story about Cosby).

Before joining Newsweek, Katie was at Jezebel where she covered the Stubenville rape story and the dark underbelly of Miss America and a variety of other stories, and the San Francisco Chronicle.

Katie will start April 1. You can follow her at @katiejmbaker!
Join me in welcoming her to BuzzFeed!"

Back