• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations

mtgrizrule

In an effort to have an open minded discussion on egriz and hoping for no thread derailing, a few questions for everyone. What are your expectations of this program under this coaching staff this season? What are your ideal and realistic expectations for the program (sorry national championship every year is not realistic)?

For me, under this current coaching staff, my expectation this season is getting to final 8 of the playoffs. After JJ departs, I'm not quite as optimistic of this staff, but expect nothing less than contending for the conference title every season. At worse, making the playoffs every season. Based on the last 2 years, it sucks that I can't be confident in those expectations. I do believe if those cannot be met, it will be time to move into a new direction for a head coach.

My ideal expectations would be a return of being a national title contender every year with confidence. I want a commitment to be being one of a handful of top FCS teams consistently. Yes, part of my expectations are from a storied 25 year history of high results from the GRIZ program. I see no reason why we cannot get back to FCS elite status.

I don't want the GRIZ to become satisfied with just being a playoff contender some years, fall short the next, etc. Regardless who the GRIZ coaching staff is, I find myself disappointed in anything less than making it o the final 8 teams. I find not making the playoffs as inexcusable, barring major injuries and off the field issues (JJ's year off falls and all the turmoil Mick faced in his 1st year are understandable as much as I hate to admit it.).

I also know I am sick of being beat by EWU consistently again. It hurts me to know they have proven to be the best Big Sky program of late. I do feel, as a whole the conference is a little deeper than several years ago.

As for the 2014 season, I expect an improved defense and scheme. I want to see more diversity in offensive play calling. Barring an injury of JJ and/or OL depth being depleted, anything less than making the final 8 in the playoffs will be the bar to determine if we stay with Mick or if we move forward with a new coach

My final expectation will be the toughest to meet.
That expectation is an openminded discussion and nobody derailing it. (I have a feeling that will not happen.) :thumb:

Not expecting to win it all every year is your first failure.

NDSU doesn't have this mindset I fact they go farther than that and expect perfect seasons.

With the coaching staff we have and the drop off in high end players due to lack of recruiting, anything around .650 is music to my ears. Even playing in the BSC we can't expect much more than 6-5 or 7-4 next year.

Good question and thoughts. With the increased number of FCS teams in the playoffs and some elite teams moving up you would expect the Griz to be a top contender each and every year. However, due to the disruptions of the last couple of years in terms of coaching staff and events nothing is taken for granted any longer. One would think with the history, fan base and other advantages that the Griz enjoy that being a national contender would not even be a debate.

This season will provide some answers. The coaching staff should be coming into their own and their offense and defensive scheme should show results...good or bad.

As for recruiting, I have no idea if the Griz are failing or not. You certainly see some great players at EWU, MSU and others so we are certainly not getting all the top talent.

My expectations would be similar in that a third round playoff game should be expected.

It will be interesting to see what others think. Good discussion.

Alpha, I for one will not be happy with 6-5 or 7-4 results this coming season.

As for the ideal realistic program expectations, I want a coaching staff and team to expect to win the National Championship every season. I love that kind of attitude. From a fan base though, I would love for us to get there. It would be nice. Yet, I don't find it right to want a coach let go because a team fell short of winning the national championship.

In a nutshell, I was much happier and content when Bobby Hauck coached, and Pflugrad's 2nd season than under our current regime. Under Hauck, I got upset and disappointed losing the playoff games the way we did, and/or who we lost to (UMASS and Wofford). I quickly got over those losses. However, I could be confident and comfortable the GRIZ would be back to make another run the next season. I miss having even that much confidence, and would like to have more confidence than that. I just don't know if it is realistic.

As for this staff, realistically speaking, we have a great SR QB, great depth at RB, playmaking WR's, talented but inexperienced OL, etc. Improved play calling and diversity should be a realistic expectation. Defensively, we have a DC in his 3rd season and his learning on the job should be over, it is time for results. Our defense has a lot of depth at DL, more experience at DB, pass defending LB's (or rumor has it that way). We supposedly have an all conference level safety returning in Hermanson (I expect him to be all conference too). We should have better and more consistent safety play as a whole than the last 2 season. CB's are another year experienced and should be expected to be better as an unit. There is no excuse or reason in the world for teams passing all over our defense. These are common sense expectations, in my opinion. Yet why am I questioning if our pass defense and schemes will improve? I have not seen enough adjustments and results to believe in our DC to do these things. If those things happen, then it will be a great season and the future looks brighter. If those things don't happen, it will be a sign to me that we need to move in a different direction.

Does that make more sense?

mtgrizrule,
I think I have the same concerns as you and my expectations in a similar place, maybe a little higher. I''ve had this season pegged for a couple years as one where I thought things would come together, meaning a legitimate run at a NC, due to the continuity of the coaching staff, the speed and skill postions loaded, and a senior quarterback. The only thing I'll add is that I don't have the concerns of many about our linebacking corp. These guys were some of my favorite recruits lately and I think they'll be great, even with youth. I wasn't stoked about our recruiting this year, but I think the last two years were as good as any. In all regards,Time will tell.

Lastly, I remember when Lex was a senior and everybody was on the opposite page of this year and almost sure the Griz would make a run at the NC... you klnow the story, a loss in the first round, AT HOME. And I don't wanna hear, "but it was a tricky offense." Point is, you never know, but my expectations are higher this year than in the last few, without a doubt.

AllWeatherFan said:
I predict 6-5. Hope I'm wrong.

So that is the record you expect. With that said, "What does the team have to do, one way or the other, for you to support Delaney or not?

I am hoping some of this thread will get people to lean one way or the other. It sucks having the debates during the season. Let's get expectations out on the table now with as many egrizzer as possible.

Question to opponent fan bases. What do you feel realistic expectations of the GRIZ program be? Let me take care of the "Keep Mick forever" smart ass remark. Remarks like that will be a sure fire indicator that opponents have caught up to us and are tired of getting their ass kicked year in, year out by the GRIZ prior to the last few years.

I expect same/similar level of improvement this year as last. Should contend for BSC and make at least quarter finals in playoff. Completely do-able

Here's what I expect, based on what I've seen so far this spring:

Improvements

1. Kicking game. Be it Greenberg, Lider, or Worst, they're improving. This could equate to a few more fieldgoals made per game and having 3 to 6 to 9 more points per game put on the board is a good thing.

2. Pass defense. Harris is solid, Dennard is improving and a very physical player, Nelson is a guy on the rise. Hermanson is an above average safety who should be improved over last year. Whitted and Delaserra are both physical hitters but iffy in coverage. Gamboa, Van Ackeren, Lebsock, and Schye all as OLBs will provide better range and play really well especially in zone pass coverage, something they're more familiar with being all conversions from safety. Kose and Schye are no slouches in pass coverage either.

3. Pass rush. A healthy Wagenmann in his senior season and a healthy Kidder will make a huge difference. Tyrone Holmes as a 2-year veteran now will be improved and could reap the benefit of double-teams on Wags. Watch for interior linemen Zach Peevey to make some noise in regards to QB pressure as well.

4. The passing game. Jordan Johnson is a senior. He'll have his main contingent of receivers back in Henderson, Jones, Naccarato, Walcott, and Haynes. Add into the mix up and comer Marq Rogers and the emergence of Austin Carver and Ryan Burke. Then look at TE. JJ loves to find his TE's especially in the red zone. Jordan Harper and Mitch Saylor could catch quite a few touchdowns this year.

5. The running backs. Note I'm not saying the running game, just yet. The running backs all return with another year of experience. The health of Van and Counts will be vital. Canada is a reliable work-horse but being able to use Van and Counts for changes of pace is a must. Nguyen needs to improve on ball handling, if he can he'll work out well, and Favors is a guy that I'm excited to see in the years ahead.

6. Punting game. Shaw is solid and can flip the field with monster kicks.

Areas of concern

1. The O-line. The size is there. The roster is fairly deep. The experience on the interior is totally lacking, and that has me concerned. Injuries have me a little worried too. The Hines brothers are going to be looked upon to serve as anchors of the interior but one came to spring ball really light and the other is dealing once again with injuries. Their backups, Kalekini, Weyer, Deitrich, and Todd have done well, but it's been streaky. Weyer is probably a lock to start, I hope he can add 10-15 pound though this spring/summer. Tackles are where the experience lies with Schmaing and Poole. Behind them are two serviceable backups. Lots of inexperience here and the lack of time together playing as a single unit shows.

2. Rush defense. The D-line will have big Tonga Takai to plug the middle but the rest of the line is fairly lighter and Holmes in prior seasons has shown issue in run defense. The OLBs will be smaller and lighter and will have issues with power run teams.

3. QB depth. God forbid we lose JJ for a stretch of time. I will say Shay Smithwick Hann looks better than he did when he was a starter back in 2012, however his decision making especially on broken plays seems to take longer and sometimes leads to more errors (like the int he threw in the scrimmage - one could counter with his quick throw on a 3rd down blitz to Burke to extend a drive does show improvement too). Gustafson and Simis are not ready yet, IMO.

4. Playcalling. By even self-admitting it from Kfense and Jordan Johnson, the offense was too inconsistent last season. Yes the stats were huge, but they'd be propped up by huge games and then huge steps back. Kfense enters his 2nd year as playcalling OC and JJ (and the offense) in their 2nd year in this system. That SHOULD produce better results. But will it? I sure hope so, this team has a very rough road schedule. One of the biggest issue for the Griz with playcalling and scoring was the 3rd quarter, where the Griz only scored 89 points this season (18% of all points scored). We all saw it, they'd come out of the half sluggish or unable to adjust and have to play catch up in the 4th quarter.

---------------------

I've got more expectations for improvements than concerns, I believe it will equate into an improved season over last year. Improvement IMO will be either winning/sharing the Big Sky or being one of the top 2 teams in the conference and getting beyond just 1 playoff game. I see a 9-3 regular season and winning 1 or more playoff games. I think that there will be one or two teams on our schedule that may look tough now, but the Griz will easily handle them. I'm hoping it's EWU but it probably won't be. More likely SUU or CPLSO.

mtgrizrule said:
In an effort to have an open minded discussion on egriz and hoping for no thread derailing, a few questions for everyone. What are your expectations of this program under this coaching staff this season? What are your ideal and realistic expectations for the program (sorry national championship every year is not realistic)?

For me, under this current coaching staff, my expectation this season is getting to final 8 of the playoffs. After JJ departs, I'm not quite as optimistic of this staff, but expect nothing less than contending for the conference title every season. At worse, making the playoffs every season. Based on the last 2 years, it sucks that I can't be confident in those expectations. I do believe if those cannot be met, it will be time to move into a new direction for a head coach.

My ideal expectations would be a return of being a national title contender every year with confidence. I want a commitment to be being one of a handful of top FCS teams consistently. Yes, part of my expectations are from a storied 25 year history of high results from the GRIZ program. I see no reason why we cannot get back to FCS elite status.

I don't want the GRIZ to become satisfied with just being a playoff contender some years, fall short the next, etc. Regardless who the GRIZ coaching staff is, I find myself disappointed in anything less than making it o the final 8 teams. I find not making the playoffs as inexcusable, barring major injuries and off the field issues (JJ's year off falls and all the turmoil Mick faced in his 1st year are understandable as much as I hate to admit it.).

I also know I am sick of being beat by EWU consistently again. It hurts me to know they have proven to be the best Big Sky program of late. I do feel, as a whole the conference is a little deeper than several years ago.

As for the 2014 season, I expect an improved defense and scheme. I want to see more diversity in offensive play calling. Barring an injury of JJ and/or OL depth being depleted, anything less than making the final 8 in the playoffs will be the bar to determine if we stay with Mick or if we move forward with a new coach

That expectation is an openminded discussion and nobody derailing it. (I have a feeling that will not happen.) :thumb:

Everyone outside of Griz nation expects the Griz to compete year in, year out for the Big Sky and National Championship so I would think the Griz fans would do the same. Also, regardless of how some feel, the top of the Big Sky has become significantly better in recent years and it makes it much more difficult for the Griz to roll through the conference like they did in years past.

Everyone expects the Griz to have a good year this year, especially with JJ at QB in his senior year. Your biggest issue this year is your schedule...damn difficult.

marceagfan5 said:
mtgrizrule said:

Everyone outside of Griz nation expects the Griz to compete year in, year out for the Big Sky and National Championship so I would think the Griz fans would do the same. Also, regardless of how some feel, the top of the Big Sky has become significantly better in recent years and it makes it much more difficult for the Griz to roll through the conference like they did in years past.

Everyone expects the Griz to have a good year this year, especially with JJ at QB in his senior year. Your biggest issue this year is your schedule...damn difficult.

We have a damn tough schedule this year. My expectations: if we make it through this season with only 2 or 3 losses, we will make a deep playoff run.

get'em_griz said:
marceagfan5 said:
mtgrizrule said:

We have a damn tough schedule this year. My expectations: if we make it through this season with only 2 or 3 losses, we will make a deep playoff run.

MEF5 thanks for posting. Personally, I like hearing opinions of other fan bases when there is no trash talking and or bashing. EWU has earned my respect on the field. I expect them to contend for the conference championship every year now.

I would be very happy with a deep playoff run too. Talent wise, we can do it. I still doubt our coaching though.

AllWeatherFan said:
I predict 6-5. Hope I'm wrong.

That would be disappointing. I know I might sound like a "spoiled Griz fan," but, at a minimum, I expect us to play all the games on the schedule.

mtgrizrule said:

I don't want the GRIZ to become satisfied with just being a playoff contender some years, fall short the next, etc. Regardless who the GRIZ coaching staff is, I find myself disappointed in anything less than making it o the final 8 teams.

Define "elite". Outside of the 2012 debacle and JJ's one year absence, the Griz are 19/20 in playoff appearances. Since the inception of the Sports Network Poll in 1993, the Griz have finished outside the poll only once (2012) and NO WORSE than 20th (and that was the 2010 "down" year). Four of the last six years we've ended the season in the top 8 (in the polls).

This coaching staff went from a 5-6 trainwreck to 10-3 in one year. I suppose some would wish they'd had another 5-6 season and we'd have cleaned house (AGAIN), but that would have really just set us back ANOTHER couple years...Mick and staff have done a great job getting this cadillac back on the road--they may not be the ones to get it tuned to perfection and running on all 8 cylinders, but they've exceeded all expectations of them. When they turn it over the next coach won't have any excuses.

So talking about talent, where do you think the Griz sit talent wise compared with other schools in the Big Sky? Other schools in FCS?

Do you believe that UM has the best talent in the BSC? Are they middle of the pack?

Back