• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

3rd spring scrimmage report

BWahlberg

DONOR
Well spring ball is in the books. It was an interesting finish to the spring season where I personally saw some kids really step up and I've got to say some concerns of mine are fading - especially on defense.

As always the play by play is in my twitter feed, I'll spare repeating too much from that.

My observations from tonight:

- John Nguyen had one of the better runs I've seen all spring, made about 5 guys miss, kept his feet in bounds along the sideline and was finally brought down after 39 yards. The crowd was cheering him on, it was a great run. And no fumbles tonight, even getting the wind knocked out of him and then getting poked in the eye.

- Two interceptions tonight, one was Delaserra grabbing a bad throw by Gustafson into coverage, the other was by Nate Harris on Shay Smithwick Hann which was on a slightly underthrown pass. Harris showing some cockyness brought the ball back to hand it to the QBs on the sideline.

- Other defenders were putting some hard hits out there, Schye was flying all over and I was told racked up 8 tackles. Many times he was shooting thorugh the gap and getting the carrier. Pass coverage was suspect for Schye. Gamboa made some good plays especially containing the QBs on bootleg passes or QB keepers. Moody had a real hard hit on Carver. Also Delaney had multiple hard hits, he's a good sized safety.

- Both Gustafson and Smithwick Hann had some nice drives but there were no TDs scored tonight. They threw some more deep balls in this practice, probably 6 or 7 real deep passes tonight. Gustafson's passes were tight spirals and on the money. One was dropped by Rogers who was closely covered by Nelson and another might've been a TD but Janssen was held as he got past the corner. I was impressed with the improvements of Gustafson this spring. He has really come along. SSH is a fairly known quantity - both had good conversions on multiple 3rd downs. Simis had a very quiet night.

- Hard to criticize playcalling in a scrimmage but Gustafson's best drive of the night got to the 3 yard line and then the offense called 3 run plays with the only RB left (Hagfors) that went backwards. I would've liked to have seen them keep throwing the ball.

- As it's been said before this defense swarms to the ball. Lots of times a running lane would open up wide but then a few linebackers or DBs would come shooting in to take what was looking like a possible big run play to a short gain.

- Kickers tonight, Greenberg went 3/5, Worst 4/5, Lider 3/5. All missed from a 49 yard attempt. All were short from 49 out. The other kicks were from 23 to 42 yards out. Greenberg is the first out to kick, Worst 2nd and Lider 3rd. The big off-season need for each will be power for Greenberg, consistency for Worst, and accuracy for Lider.

- The tackles were having issues, even Schmaing and Poole. Wags and Holmes had sacks and disrupted a few plays. Schmaing improved but early on he had Holmes shoving him around. Poole had a real bad false start on a 4th and 1 attempt to convert it - it forced the punt team out. The interior line with the 1st string tonight was Hines (#66) and Weyer at guard and Deitrich at center. The interior 1st string was playing well tonight. The interior 2nd string was not as good. Todd was up and down, Kalekini had what appeared to be a rough night.

--------------

It was a fairly toned down scrimmage and you could see that this was really giving the walk ons and younger guys a hard look at how they'll fit in to the fall roster. There were probably 6 or 7 starters and another 7-8 rotating depth or 2nd string players out. Lots of guys resting today, including Jordan Johnson. I was told he was just a little dinged up, nothing big, and he was kept out as a precaution, he wasn't limping or in any sort of a brace. All smiles from him on the sideline, so I'm not too worried there.

It was fun to watch out there tonight, the defense looked pretty good, I'm looking forward to seeing the gains these guys make when they return in the summer.

I'll get a few more thoughts up this weekend on a post spring wrap up.

-

BWahlberg said:
Well spring ball is in the books. It was an interesting finish to the spring season where I personally saw some kids really step up and I've got to say some concerns of mine are fading - especially on defense.

As always the play by play is in my twitter feed, I'll spare repeating too much from that.

- John Nguyen had one of the better runs I've seen all spring, made about 5 guys miss, kept his feet in bounds along the sideline and was finally brought down after 39 yards. The crowd was cheering him on, it was a great run. And no fumbles tonight, even getting the wind knocked out of him and then getting poked in the eye.

- Two interceptions tonight, one was Delaserra grabbing a bad throw by Gustafson into coverage, the other was by Nate Harris on Shay Smithwick Hann which was on a slightly underthrown pass. Harris showing some cockyness brought the ball back to hand it to the QBs on the sideline.

- Other defenders were putting some hard hits out there, Schye was flying all over and I was told racked up 8 tackles. Many times he was shooting thorugh the gap and getting the carrier. Pass coverage was suspect for Schye. Gamboa made some good plays especially containing the QBs on bootleg passes or QB keepers. Moody had a real hard hit on Carver. Also Delaney had multiple hard hits, he's a good sized safety.

- Both Gustafson and Smithwick Hann had some nice drives but there were no TDs scored tonight. They threw some more deep balls in this practice, probably 6 or 7 real deep passes tonight. Gustafson's passes were tight spirals and on the money. One was dropped by Rogers who was closely covered by Nelson and another might've been a TD but Janssen was held as he got past the corner. I was impressed with the improvements of Gustafson this spring. He has really come along. SSH is a fairly known quantity - both had good conversions on multiple 3rd downs. Simis had a very quiet night.

- Hard to criticize playcalling in a scrimmage but Gustafson's best drive of the night got to the 3 yard line and then the offense called 3 run plays with the only RB left (Hagfors) that went backwards. I would've liked to have seen them keep throwing the ball.

- As it's been said before this defense swarms to the ball. Lots of times a running lane would open up wide but then a few linebackers or DBs would come shooting in to take what was looking like a possible big run play to a short gain.

- Kickers tonight, Greenberg went 3/5, Worst 4/5, Lider 3/5. All missed from a 49 yard attempt. All were short from 49 out. The other kicks were from 23 to 42 yards out. Greenberg is the first out to kick, Worst 2nd and Lider 3rd. The big off-season need for each will be power for Greenberg, consistency for Worst, and accuracy for Lider.

- The tackles were having issues, even Schmaing and Poole. Wags and Holmes had sacks and disrupted a few plays. Schmaing improved but early on he had Holmes shoving him around. Poole had a real bad false start on a 4th and 1 attempt to convert it - it forced the punt team out. The interior line with the 1st string tonight was Hines (#66) and Weyer at guard and Deitrich at center. The interior 1st string was playing well tonight. The interior 2nd string was not as good. Todd was up and down, Kalekini had what appeared to be a rough night.

--------------

It was a fairly toned down scrimmage and you could see that this was really giving the walk ons and younger guys a hard look at how they'll fit in to the fall roster. There were probably 6 or 7 starters and another 7-8 rotating depth or 2nd string players out. Lots of guys resting today, including Jordan Johnson. I was told he was just a little dinged up, nothing big, and he was kept out as a precaution, he wasn't limping or in any sort of a brace. All smiles from him on the sideline, so I'm not too worried there.

It was fun to watch out there tonight, the defense looked pretty good, I'm looking forward to seeing the gains these guys make when they return in the summer.

-
You said Schye was "flying all over the place"...I'm assuming Kose was sitting over with Humpty Dumpty? ... :egriz:

Brint, it was great seeing you at the scrimmage. Just want to add a few things to your summary. I was very pleased with the defense, 1st and 2nd team. Also their pass defense schemes were a little more aggressive, which is a good sign.

Connor Strahm looked really impressive out there, and will be one hell of a player as he gains experience. We got a steal in Connor Strahm. I was impressed with Schye and Van Ackeren as well. Zach Peevey was near the ball a lot, he played DE and DT. Gamboa was great at containing. Takai dominated the 1st 2 series he played and looked awesome. I was hoping for an improved defense. This defense is a lot quicker to the ball than last season, and more guys looking to hit. The only play they looked bad was Nguyen's 39 yard run. I am not sure who Nguyen juked to break that run to the outside, but a few jocks were left out there. That was one amazing run. Granted this scrimmage was very short and a lot of key offensive players were sitting out, but the defense exceeded my expectations.

I was disappointed JJ was sat out. However, I was glad to see more of our other QB's. Simis did not get much time, so I cannot really comment one way or the other of him. Shay needs some work on throws longer than 35 or 40 yards. I did like his touch on 10 to 25 yards, and his pocket presence was solid. However, Gustafson really impressed me with a terrific arm and accuracy on longer passes. He also stepped up into the pocket very nicely and looked quite calm out there. He looked more agile than I was expecting of him. He has given me a lot of hope for the coming years.

I absolutely loved our TE's and have no worries about TE this season. Jordan Harper looks a lot bigger than his listed 222 lbs. I was guessing more like 230 to 235 lbs. Cooper Sprunk is big, good hands, and moves well. I heard good things about Mike Ralston as well. Mitch Saylor will be solid there as well. Overall, we are very well off at TE. Hagfors was used in a lot of ways and his versatility will be a huge asset this season, even if a lot of what he does is not showing up in the stats.

OL only had 7 healthy bodies and it showed. I hope OL gets healthy for fall camp. From what I saw in this scrimmage, they are very inconsistent and not very cohesive. I am very concerned about the OL.

I thought the kickers looked better, but need work from over 45 yards out. To me Ben Worst looked like the best kicker.

A couple guys way off the radar who impressed me in the little I saw of them were Shane Moody and Nate Bradley. Moody is very short, but very quick, aggressive, tough, hits hard, and plays with much needed attitude. Bradley is a fricking bowling ball. He is quick off the ball, he gets through gaps before OL can block him. He is also strong as hell.

I am glad I got to see this scrimmage though. I have a lot more peace of mind regarding our defense.

rimrockgriz said:
BWahlberg said:

--------------

-
You said Schye was "flying all over the place"...I'm assuming Kose was sitting over with Humpty Dumpty? ... :egriz:

Kose is not taking part in contact drills this spring as he gets his knee back to full strength. He's been doing 7on7 stuff only.

The under-appreciated ? is who will step up at offensive center. Replacing an experienced center is not an easy task. The center is leader of the OL. They read the defense, make calls at the line, get the OL assignments called out, and get a good snap to the QB. Leadership on the OL is extremely important. Interested in knowing how that position is looking and if our OL is working together.

It really doesn't matter what offense you run. If you have a dominant OL, any offensive coordinator or QB is going to look like a genius.

Let's get to the important stuff:

How many times did Nguyen fumble? 5? 7? 17?

Thanks for the scrimmage rundown, it is very informative and full of sugar coating, just like I like them to be!

Liquor up front! said:
Let's get to the important stuff:

How many times did Nguyen fumble? 5? 7? 17?

Thanks for the scrimmage rundown, it is very informative and full of sugar coating, just like I like them to be!

0 times. He didn't fumble once. :thumb:

grizophile said:
Where's Crittendon? Also, sounds like the short passing game not there once again and separation of WR's?

I think he's one of the many who has missed a good portion of camp with an injury.

BW. Thanks again for all the time you put into keeping those of us who can't be there informed on the status of the team-along with your insights. They are much appreciated. Go Griz!

thanks b/w for your write up, very informative......how did lebsock look? who impressed you as far as tackling in open field? thanks.....

Tripp was at the scrimmage--down on the defensive side. Was playing catch with some little kid on the field after the scrimmage. Was working out at the Peak earlier this week. Looks extremely fit. Great kid. Great family.

krammer said:
thanks b/w for your write up, very informative......how did lebsock look? who impressed you as far as tackling in open field? thanks.....

Tackling has improved across the board. Delaney gives credit to these new tackling dummies they use, did a quick search, I think these are them;

slideshow_2.jpg

Just as the photo suggests one guy runs while the other has to hit and wrap up. The dummy comes out of the round base when the hit is made so the tackler usually lands onto the dummy and gets bucked but has to hang on.

The drills I saw the tacklers also had to get through a block too.

All defenders have been tackling these things and it would really seem to have benefitted a lot of them.

BWahlberg said:
Tackling has improved across the board. Delaney gives credit to these new tackling dummies they use,..

Well, duh, those would be the incoming freshmen,.,but isn't this a little bit early for that?

Back