• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring camp players with rising stock

BWahlberg

DONOR
There's the known quantities on this team, guys like JJ, Wags, Canada, etc. But from this fan's observation here's a handful of players names you may not be as familiar with that stood out to me.

Zach Peevey - The Hellgate grad was mostly a special teams player last year. This year it looks like Peevey is ready for an increased role. He's added more weight and has moved to play defensive tackle. This spring he's had sacks in every scrimmage, two last night, he's forced a fumble, and made a few TFLs. Peevey also still rotates out and backs up at D-end as well. He'll be a guy that is going to rotate in and can play all across the D-line, he'll also be a wrecking ball on special teams.

Jake Dallaserra - Jake has kind of hung around in depth at safety for the last two seasons but now with a battle to possible start looming he's made the most of it. While still needing to keep improving I've liked what I've seen from Jake in zone coverage. He made a great adjustment on a pass last night and picked off a Gustafson 3rd down pass. He's also a hard hitter and has really put some good shots on would-be receivers. Whitted remains ahead of Jake at the end of spring but he's helping to ease my concerns of safety depth.

John Nguyen - Outside of a healthy TraVon Van, Nguyen is the most electric runner on this team. Yes I know there's a whole thread dedicated to his ball security and that's a concern for sure. John possesses a lot of the shifty moves we got to know with his brother, Peter. He can make guys miss in the worst way and create something out of nothing. What he also has that Peter didn't have as much was power, John can run over or knock back many tacklers. John will be looked upon to contribute this year, Van's ongoing health is a concern. Improving ball security will be key for him.

Devon Dietrich - Last spring it was Will Weyer of the 5 young o-linemen who had a solid spring and this year it's Dietrich who is on the rise. With the Hines brothers still getting dinged up by injuries (looked like Logan Hines #66 was in a brace, possibly some broken fingers) Dietrich has played both guard and center and has done a pretty good job at it.

Tucker Schye - Tucker's already had a full thread dedicated to him and he's well worth the hype. Schye is going to develop into a great middle line backer and will be used for special teams duty and will rotate a ton with Kose. His pass coverage needs to improve but it would seem that will come along with experience. Schye is a disruptive force in the defense and a great tackler.

Shane Moody - I'm assuming Shane is a walk-on or maybe a preferred freshman but I like what I've seen from this guy. He's a shorter corner back but makes up for it on how physical he plays. He punishes receivers who put their hands on the ball. He made a TFL on a quick pass in the 2nd scrimmage and popped two WRs really hard to ensure that no catch would be made.

Kendrick Van Ackeren - Last year's "Special Teams Player of The Year" very well could lead this team in tackles. Great in pass coverage, good lateral speed, solid play recognition, great tackler.

Nate Bradley - Bradley in scrimmages and the few practices seems to have a knack for making a few plays. He's down there in depth as a 5-11, 250 pound nose tackle but I've seen him force a fumble, stop a few players for a loss, and get a sack. Bradley in time could develop into a Ben Hughes kind of a player.

Good to see you list Bradley and Moody. I have not seen as much practice as you have, yet those 2 got me to notice them in the scrimmage, with limited plays. Since the last scrimmage it was bugging me which former GRIZ Moody reminds me of. I finally got it. He reminds me a lot of Keith Thompson. I can only hope he turns out to be that kind of hitter and a solid cover guy too.

BWahlberg said:
There's the known quantities on this team, guys like JJ, Wags, Canada, etc. But from this fan's observation here's a handful of players names you may not be as familiar with that stood out to me.

Zach Peevey - The Hellgate grad was mostly a special teams player last year. This year it looks like Peevey is ready for an increased role. He's added more weight and has moved to play defensive tackle. This spring he's had sacks in every scrimmage, two last night, he's forced a fumble, and made a few TFLs. Peevey also still rotates out and backs up at D-end as well. He'll be a guy that is going to rotate in and can play all across the D-line, he'll also be a wrecking ball on special teams.

Jake Dallaserra - Jake has kind of hung around in depth at safety for the last two seasons but now with a battle to possible start looming he's made the most of it. While still needing to keep improving I've liked what I've seen from Jake in zone coverage. He made a great adjustment on a pass last night and picked off a Gustafson 3rd down pass. He's also a hard hitter and has really put some good shots on would-be receivers. Whitted remains ahead of Jake at the end of spring but he's helping to ease my concerns of safety depth.

John Nguyen - Outside of a healthy TraVon Van, Nguyen is the most electric runner on this team. Yes I know there's a whole thread dedicated to his ball security and that's a concern for sure. John possesses a lot of the shifty moves we got to know with his brother, Peter. He can make guys miss in the worst way and create something out of nothing. What he also has that Peter didn't have as much was power, John can run over or knock back many tacklers. John will be looked upon to contribute this year, Van's ongoing health is a concern. Improving ball security will be key for him.

Devon Dietrich - Last spring it was Will Weyer of the 5 young o-linemen who had a solid spring and this year it's Dietrich who is on the rise. With the Hines brothers still getting dinged up by injuries (looked like Logan Hines #66 was in a brace, possibly some broken fingers) Dietrich has played both guard and center and has done a pretty good job at it.

Tucker Schye - Tucker's already had a full thread dedicated to him and he's well worth the hype. Schye is going to develop into a great middle line backer and will be used for special teams duty and will rotate a ton with Kose. His pass coverage needs to improve but it would seem that will come along with experience. Schye is a disruptive force in the defense and a great tackler.

Shane Moody - I'm assuming Shane is a walk-on or maybe a preferred freshman but I like what I've seen from this guy. He's a shorter corner back but makes up for it on how physical he plays. He punishes receivers who put their hands on the ball. He made a TFL on a quick pass in the 2nd scrimmage and popped two WRs really hard to ensure that no catch would be made.

Kendrick Van Ackeren - Last year's "Special Teams Player of The Year" very well could lead this team in tackles. Great in pass coverage, good lateral speed, solid play recognition, great tackler.

Nate Bradley - Bradley in scrimmages and the few practices seems to have a knack for making a few plays. He's down there in depth as a 5-11, 250 pound nose tackle but I've seen him force a fumble, stop a few players for a loss, and get a sack. Bradley in time could develop into a Ben Hughes kind of a player.

Brint:
Hmm.... Some solid talent that never saw the light of day at safety. Interesting...

mtgrizrule said:
Good to see you list Bradley and Moody. I have not seen as much practice as you have, yet those 2 got me to notice them in the scrimmage, with limited plays. Since the last scrimmage it was bugging me which former GRIZ Moody reminds me of. I finally got it. He reminds me a lot of Keith Thompson. I can only hope he turns out to be that kind of hitter and a solid cover guy too.

Solid comparison to Thompson, IMO.

BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:

Solid comparison to Thompson, IMO.

Is that as in Keith Thompson? If so, he will be me hero! Someone who knows how to and is willing to deliver pain....we haven't seen that since he KT.

The Keith Thompson comparison seems like a gigantic reach to me. Moody is a scrappy special teamer while Keith Thompson is arguably the hardest hitter in Griz history as a CB and was a solid cover guy to boot.

StumptownGriz said:
The Keith Thompson comparison seems like a gigantic reach to me. Moody is a scrappy special teamer while Keith Thompson is arguably the hardest hitter in Griz history as a CB and was a solid cover guy to boot.

Wasn't Thompson a JC Xfr? If so, we did not see how he was as an incoming freshman. Granted, I only saw the last spring scrimmage. I have no idea what the future holds or how any of these players will turn out. How physical Moody was playing really caught my eye? It was the same way Thompson caught my eye when I saw his video, then later on the field. Physical hard hitting corners are hard to come by, especially at the FCS level.

I can tell you this much, there has not been a hard hitting GRIZ CB since Thompson. I hope this kid can cover consistently. He surely will make WR's and RB's be aware of his presence. The kid showed no fear in the scrimmage, which is a great start for any young player at any position. Hitting wise he is somewhere from Jimmy Wilson to Keith Thompson of recent past. Dallaserra also looks to lay out players as a safety. These 2 bring a lot of attitude to our DB's. I expect that at Safety though, not at CB. I am thoroughly expecting these 2 and Strahm to be special teams stand outs before they get their opportunity in the Defensive rotations. I am not sure when, but am sure we will see these 3 blow up a lot of opponents over the next 4 to 5 years. These guys are tough as nails, and will bring Colt Anderson and Keith Thompson like attitudes. That is providing coaches don't put the reigns on too tight.

WyomingGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
Hitting wise he is somewhere from Jimmy Wilson to Keith Thompson of recent past.

Now there's a comparison.

Not a good one, tho. Wilson was a much bigger hitter than Thompson. Had Thompson not had that one huge highlight video hit, most people wouldn't have even noticed that he was a decent hitter.

PlayerRep said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
Hitting wise he is somewhere from Jimmy Wilson to Keith Thompson of recent past.

Not a good one, tho. Wilson was a much bigger hitter than Thompson. Had Thompson not had that one huge highlight video hit, most people wouldn't have even noticed that he was a decent hitter.

Wilson got a lot more opportunities and was a 4 year player for us. I won't debate who was a harder hitter. An argument can be made for either. I do recall more hard hits from Thompson than just that 1 hit. I am sure others will add to this. I can't wait for one to disagree with you then we have another thread on its way to derailing.

I am fine with your opinion, rather than telling someone it is not a comparison or how wrong they are, why not impress us with a comparison of your own? It is too early in his Moody's career to give a 100% sure fire prediction or evaluation, but why not give it a shot? Inquiring minds want to know, so far which former GRIZ does he compare to or remind you of as for hitting?

Comparisons and going out on the limb are fun. It sure in the hell beats coming out after a player has shown what kind of a player he is, then hear how some poster just knew they would be this good and or then give comparisons. Give us a name PR? By the way, I am not trying to turn this into a heated unnecessary pissing match either, just some friendly debate (if that is possible here).

Yup, Griz Nation remembers Thompson's hit against Cline because it made Sportscenter. Two weeks earlier, he decleated South Dakota State's massive tight end in what I consider a way more vicious collision than the Appy one. That season, he also lit up an Idaho State receiver who never returned to the game, as well as a couple of brutal shots in the Cat-Griz contest. And those are just from memory. To say Thompson was only known as a hard hitter because of one hit is absolutely stupid and makes me wonder how many posters actually watch Griz football games for as all-knowing as they like to make themselves sound.

Here is a silent 10 minute video of some of Keith Thompson highlights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtgk5dFV2gk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (this one may take multiple tries to load)
Here is the link to his 4 videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/keith2113/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope some young GRIZ CB's will watch video of him and Jimmy Wilson.

havgrizfan said:
Yup, Griz Nation remembers Thompson's hit against Cline because it made Sportscenter. Two weeks earlier, he decleated South Dakota State's massive tight end in what I consider a way more vicious collision than the Appy one. That season, he also lit up an Idaho State receiver who never returned to the game, as well as a couple of brutal shots in the Cat-Griz contest. And those are just from memory. To say Thompson was only known as a hard hitter because of one hit is absolutely stupid and makes me wonder how many posters actually watch Griz football games for as all-knowing as they like to make themselves sound.

46 second mark
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nUTnNFSiy0[/youtube]

mtgrizrule said:
I am fine with your opinion, rather than telling someone it is not a comparison or how wrong they are, why not impress us with a comparison of your own? It is too early in his Moody's career to give a 100% sure fire prediction or evaluation, but why not give it a shot? Inquiring minds want to know, so far which former GRIZ does he compare to or remind you of as for hitting?

I really can't say because I haven't seen him play yet. I really only get to se the Griz play when their games are televised. Which, by the way, I hope all twelve are indeed broadcasted. Hear ESPN is carrying about four or five Wyoming games this year of all things, but not the Montana game, though. Too bad.

PlayerRep said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

Why do have to be a know-it-all in nearly every thread? Your opinions have been duly noted, but they are just your opinions, and not the "facts" as you would want everyone to believe. Give it a rest already.

I agree with most in here about Moody. Thus kid loves to hit. I said this about back in mid march when I first seen him on the spring roster.
Shane Moody was invisible last year. He must have been. He was redshirting last year and nobody knew about him. Well he's listed on the spring roster this year and after watching his highlights, I like him. He's short at 5'8" and 160 lbs which may be exaggerated, but he plays the ball in the air well and he loves to hit.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/co/aurora/regis-jesuit-high-school/shane-moody1#video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's deffenetly not the biggest kid and probably not the fastest either but he loves to hit you hard and that's what we need. He's shirt but he's also really good at getting to ball in the air at his highest point to knock it from the receiver. He may never get an INT in his career here but his impact will be known in the Big Sky

havgrizfan said:

I can back all of these up. Thompson laid the wood multiple times that year. 1:28 mark, since the SDSU one was already shared.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aIAKSSono[/youtube]

grizfan95 said:
havgrizfan said:

I can back all of these up. Thompson laid the wood multiple times that year. 1:28 mark, since the SDSU one was already shared.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aIAKSSono[/youtube]

Watching these highlights are great . I know Keith Thompson had a lot of big hits, especially his SR year as a GRIZ. I would not have compared Moody to him if Thompson only had the one big hit in his career. The fact that Moody is getting early mention and comparisons to the likes of Thompson and/or Wilson is very positive by itself. I really am hoping the kid can cover and knows the playbook too. It would be a shame to not have that kind of hitter on the field. I expect most his time to be on special teams this season though.

Bellevue High School players are solid student-athletes, so when they arrive at universities around the country, they're ready to learn and competition on and off the field.

Most Lakes High School players are solid student-athletes from military families, so they're comfortable with relocation. But, I think it may take a little longer for the former Lancers to acclimate to their new surroundings.

I could be wrong on with both conclusions, but I'm not wrong when I suggest that the U of Montana continue recruiting former Lakes Lancers and former Bellevue Wolverines student-athletes.

Don't over look the other athletes ... the ones that could walk-on and make an immediate contribution. One such student-athlete from Lakes is Nick Webster, 2014 WIAA's 3A Athlete of the Week. He may not attend West Point after all.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1474161/nick-webster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back