• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FBS to Form New Subdivision

get'em_griz

DONOR
Well it's happening... The big boys in the FBS are looking to break away from the rest of the FBS, creating a 2nd-Tier level for the remaining FBS teams who are not in the big five conferences.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/10817368/sec-commissioner-mike-slive-lays-goals-five-conference-subdivision" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive spoke for the big schools when he said, "What we're trying to give them is what [student-athletes] are asking for."
Slive visited the University of Massachusetts last week as the executive-in-residence for the Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management. In a keynote address, Slive laid out seven goals for the new subdivision of Division I that will house the following conferences: SEC, Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12.

• providing the full cost of attendance to grant-in-aid recipients
• fulfilling the health, safety and nutrition needs of student-athletes
• allowing student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility to complete their undergraduate degree without cost
• ending the cold war against agents and advisers so that players testing the professional waters can receive better information
• harnessing the demands of sports so that student-athletes get more balance in their lives -- i.e., another crack at the "20-hour rule"
• more and better assistance for academically at-risk student-athletes
• giving student-athletes a role and a vote in NCAA governance that affects them

That list could come just as easily from a union guy as from the commissioner of one of the most powerful leagues in intercollegiate athletics.

After the speech, Slive said, "I was careful to say that what I was interested in is what the student-athletes were interested in getting, not how they got it."

Slive, as do his colleagues, want to modify the collegiate model, not do away with it.

"I'm not in favor of them being employees," Slive said. "What does 'payment' mean? If payment means they are going to be employees, then I am not in favor of it. ... Whatever we do, at least from my perspective and the perspective of my colleagues, is to be done within the collegiate model. ... This is about higher education, so we need to do more within the context of higher education, not in the context of employment."

The NCAA expects to create the five-conference subdivision in August. Slive estimated that it will take until at least the first of the year to draw up the rules by which the schools will govern themselves. In the current model, presidents make decisions as members of the NCAA Board of Directors. The five conferences want more responsibility in the hands of their athletic administrators.

This will have a ripple-effect all the way down to the FCS as more teams like James Madison and North Dakota State start to look at making the jump into that 2nd tier. O'Day saw the writing on the wall. We better be ready to make the jump...

I saw this coming a few years ago and have posted multiple times this is what the likes of Montana, Montana State, NDSU better be prepared for.

IF RE does not have Montana ready for this, that will be the last straw for me. I will want him gone 100%. This will make him or break him for me.

5 years ago I posted on egriz that this would happen in 2015 and I was accused of being a drug user and out of touch....

hum... I hope UM has their "stuff" together!

:cool:

Paytonlives said:
5 years ago I posted on egriz that this would happen in 2015 and I was accused of being a drug user and out of touch....

I was one of the ones agreeing with you. :thumb:

It will probably take a few years after this goes through before Montana and other FCS schools have to make some very critical decisions.

mtgrizrule said:
Paytonlives said:

I was one of the ones agreeing with you. :thumb:

It will probably take a few years after this goes through before Montana and other FCS schools have to make some very critical decisions.

It looks like some FCS schools are already looking at being ready when the time comes to make these decisions. Here's an email from James Madison's president in regard to possible conference realignment This was at the end of a long email from Pres. Alger to JMU employees titled "Spring Update" ...

Conference Affiliation Discussions: The topic of athletics conference membership continues to be on the minds of many of our constituents. As we plot our course through a constantly shifting landscape, we remain committed to thoughtful and open communication.

We are well aware of the changing scene within our conference as well as nationally. In response, we have engaged in a rigorous analysis of our athletic profile within the context of our strategic planning process. This process, resulting in The Madison Plan, confirmed our institutional core values: Academic Quality, Community, Diversity, Excellence, Integrity and Student Focus. Further, we determined that any new conference membership opportunity must align with the following guiding principles and criteria: academic profile and fit, university culture, student and student-athlete welfare, financial impact and sustainability, competitive balance, and geographic footprint. Feedback received from the JMU community and its many constituencies through extensive and thoughtful dialogue supports these values and principles, and we will use them as criteria for all future decisions, including those involving athletics.

Consistent with these values and principles and the ongoing issue of conference alignment, JMU will not pursue or accept an invitation from a conference that does not meet our criteria. If we do receive an offer consistent with our established values, we are prepared to review it and make a recommendation to the Board of Visitors. This process is ongoing and will require continued support on the part of the university, students, faculty, staff, coaches, alumni, and fans.

In the meantime, we are enjoying the close of our spring sports season and looking forward to an exciting new year in 2014-15 across our entire athletics program.

As you can tell, it has been an eventful year at JMU. JMU is clearly on the move, and we are excited about the future as we continue to dream big together. Thank you all for being part of the JMU community!

Jon Alger
President

head-in-sand.jpeg

I warned you all about this seven years ago! But did you listen? No. Of course, I warned you on a gardening website.

I predicted this back in 1893, before any of you. I didn't post it on the Internet, but I chiseled it into stone tablets and set them in front of the goddamned Missoula County Courthouse. And y'all laughed at me.

Dear old great-grandpappy Moses, passed it down through the family.....I just chose to tell everyone in 1903.

ordigger said:
Dear old great-grandpappy Moses, passed it down through the family.....I just chose to tell everyone in 1903.

Damn! You are the victor here, sir.

mtgrizrule said:
3,2,1...............queue up the "status quo" and the "Let's just settle where we are at" crowd.

I'm a big fan of the FCS and the playoff structure. It would take a lot for me to be convinced otherwise.

My biggest concern of a move up is that the UM is simply not ready. For the UM to be competitive with "larger" schools they would need to have the locker rooms, weight rooms, academic center, and an indoor practice facility done. That is the bare minimum of what must be done to have a program that can be regionally competitive with other western schools like Wyoming, Boise, Wazzu, UNLV, Utah, Utah State, BYU, Colorado State, and on.

Otherwise, the Griz become another Idaho. We get 4 to 5 home games annually. We become fodder for these larger programs to beat the hell out of. The program would suffer, fans would leave, the tradition this team has built up would become something of the past.

I think a move up could be done right, but it requires a lot more that needs to be done in advance, and right now the UM is struggling to keep positive momentum.

CDAGRIZ said:
ordigger said:

Time to reel this nonsense in a bit. As far as I'm concerned, CDA is still the leader in the clubhouse, because he's the only one that can produce concrete (or in this case, chiseled stone) evidence of his "prediction event". By oredigger's own admission, he didn't stick his neck out until 1903; CDA had been twisting in the wind for a fucking DECADE before oredigger finally grew a pair. Could it have been a case of independent prophesy? Of course. But the fact remains that CDA simply got there first. :geek:

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
CDAGRIZ said:
ordigger said:

Time to reel this nonsense in a bit. As far as I'm concerned, CDA is still the leader in the clubhouse, because he's the only one that can produce concrete (or in this case, chiseled stone) evidence of his "prediction event". By oredigger's own admission, he didn't stick his neck out until 1903; CDA had been twisting in the wind for a fucking DECADE before oredigger finally grew a pair. Could it have been a case of independent prophesy? Of course. But the fact remains that CDA simply got there first. :geek:

Thanks, Hoe. It does appear that Oredigger had the intel first, but I suppose I beat him to market. It wasn't easy during those first few years. The taunts and jeers from the Front Street Pour Boyz were downright nasty. The Boyz had a vested interest in keeping things the same, and revolutionary predictions such as this one upset the Boyz' control on the commoners for a while. Now that it's almost pretty confirmed that it might happen, the Johnny-Come-Latelies are coming out of the woodwork making all kinds of primacy claims.

BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:
3,2,1...............queue up the "status quo" and the "Let's just settle where we are at" crowd.

I'm a big fan of the FCS and the playoff structure. It would take a lot for me to be convinced otherwise.

My biggest concern of a move up is that the UM is simply not ready. For the UM to be competitive with "larger" schools they would need to have the locker rooms, weight rooms, academic center, and an indoor practice facility done. That is the bare minimum of what must be done to have a program that can be regionally competitive with other western schools like Wyoming, Boise, Wazzu, UNLV, Utah, Utah State, BYU, Colorado State, and on.

Otherwise, the Griz become another Idaho. We get 4 to 5 home games annually. We become fodder for these larger programs to beat the hell out of. The program would suffer, fans would leave, the tradition this team has built up would become something of the past.

I think a move up could be done right, but it requires a lot more that needs to be done in advance, and right now the UM is struggling to keep positive momentum.

Brint, I am not disagreeing with your reasoning. That reasoning is part of the problem though and proves the ineptitude of the powers to be. How long have we had to prepare, plan, and be in position?

My point is, there has been plenty of time to use foresight on this, instead we do very little to prepare for the day and be satisfied with status quo. Enough time has gone by, we should not be dealing with the same set backs still. For the record, I love the FCS playoffs too. I believe in time there will be a 16 team playoff for schools and conferences left at a realigned level.

I also believe if we are not prepared to make this happen we will be in a worse position in NCAA athletics than we have been over the last 25 to 30 years. We are anywhere from 3 to 10 years in this critical and monumental decision having to be made again. If we screw this up, it very well could set our athletic program back further. I also feel, our basketball programs, and even women's softball would really benefit by being in position to do it when that time comes.

As things are starting to play out, it appears Jim O'day had a great read on where NCAA athletics were heading, and how critical it would be for GRIZ NATION to be prepared to change with the times. How much further ahead and prepared would we be with JOD here still and RE out the damn the door, or supporting JOD?

The fact that we are still discussing the same concerns is depressing and frustrating for this GRIZ fan, and I am sure many other GRIZ fans. Eventually, we have to shit or get off the pot. Hell at this rate, we may even lose the pot to shit in. :thumb:

CDAGRIZ said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
CDAGRIZ said:
ordigger said:

Time to reel this nonsense in a bit. As far as I'm concerned, CDA is still the leader in the clubhouse, because he's the only one that can produce concrete (or in this case, chiseled stone) evidence of his "prediction event". By oredigger's own admission, he didn't stick his neck out until 1903; CDA had been twisting in the wind for a f***[*] DECADE before oredigger finally grew a pair. Could it have been a case of independent prophesy? Of course. But the fact remains that CDA simply got there first. :geek:

Thanks, Hoe. It does appear that Oredigger had the intel first, but I suppose I beat him to market. It wasn't easy during those first few years. The taunts and jeers from the Front Street Pour Boyz were downright nasty. The Boyz had a vested interest in keeping things the same, and revolutionary predictions such as this one upset the Boyz' control on the commoners for a while. Now that it's almost pretty confirmed that it might happen, the Johnny-Come-Latelies are coming out of the woodwork making all kinds of primacy claims.

Yep. Oredigger is just the first of what will surely be a long and steady stream of folks trying to get their grubby mitts on a piece of this sweet pie. Stay strong, and know that I've got your back. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:

Brint, I am not disagreeing with your reasoning. That reasoning is part of the problem though and proves the ineptitude of the powers to be. How long have we had to prepare, plan, and be in position?

My point is, there has been plenty of time to use foresight on this, instead we do very little to prepare for the day and be satisfied with status quo. Enough time has gone by, we should not still be dealing with the same set backs still. For the record, I love the FCS playoffs too. I believe in time there will be a 16 team playoff for schools and conferences left at a realigned level.

I also believe if we are not prepared to make this happen we will be in a worse position in NCAA athletics than we have been over the last 25 to 30 years. We are anywhere from 3 to 10 years in this critical and monumental decision having to be made again. If we screw this up, it very well could set our athletic program back further. I also feel, our basketball programs, and even women's softball would really benefit by being in position to do it when that time comes.

As things are starting to play out, it appears Jim O'day had a great read on where NCAA athletics were heading, and how critical it would be for GRIZ NATION to be prepared to change with the times. How much further ahead and prepared would we be with JOD here still and RE out the damn the door, or supporting JOD?

The fact that we are still discussing the same concerns is depressing and frustrating for this GRIZ fan, and I am sure many other GRIZ fans. Eventually, we have to shit or get off the pot. Hell at this rate, we may even lose the pot to shit in. :thumb:

Get ready. I sense a UMASS comparison soon. 10,9,8,7,6.....

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Time to reel this nonsense in a bit. As far as I'm concerned, CDA is still the leader in the clubhouse, because he's the only one that can produce concrete (or in this case, chiseled stone) evidence of his "prediction event". By oredigger's own admission, he didn't stick his neck out until 1903; CDA had been twisting in the wind for a f***[*] DECADE before oredigger finally grew a pair. Could it have been a case of independent prophesy? Of course. But the fact remains that CDA simply got there first. :geek:

Yep. Oredigger is just the first of what will surely be a long and steady stream of folks trying to get their grubby mitts on a piece of this sweet pie. Stay strong, and know that I've got your back. :thumb:

True. My phone has been going batshit all day with people attempting to grab the Prediction Prize Pledge Pin, which, as we all know, is given to the Prediction Prizewinner and is the most coveted plunder in the Prediction Purse. I won't give up the ship.

Back