• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2014 Strength(s) vs Weakness(s)

IntuitiveGriz

DONOR
I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks the Grizzlies biggest strengths and weaknesses will be in the 2014 football season.

I'll state the obvious first, and something that I hope we all believe, that having a 5th yr QB return under center will be a huge strength. A QB that took use to the national semi-finals, so we know he has the talent to compete with the best, and the leadership to get us far...hopefully all the way this season.

One more offensive strength next year I feel will be the WRs. I know people will say the RBs, and rightfully so, but look at Henderson and Jones...they were great last year as Sophs, but they return as upperclassmen (Juniors). That's a big deal (experience/confidence). If Walcott can stay healthy, giving us a another threat, we'll be tough to defend all the way around. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Indiana kid can do, when the "lights are on", as a Rs-Fr.

I wasn't happy with one of the OL a lot of the time last year, and he returns. Couple that with losing some good OL to graduation, and that position needs to prove A LOT in my eyes. How about yours? I think we'll be hearing early on a lot of, "It's a work in progress", referrring to the big guys upfront. Just hope it goes away without it causing too much of a glitch in the Griz plans for success.

I wasn't real thrilled with the DE play either last season. Lack of sacks (production was down), and constantly it seemed disreguarding their keys and responsibilities as they would crash down and ignore/give up contain on the edge. It cost us games at the end. Watch the playoff loss, we needed a stop, and the DE crashed down. Coastal Carolina OC saw this was happening and then sealed the game with the great call. From the very experienced DEs, I'm hoping for a more ferocious pass rush (sacks), and more disciplined run-stoppage play.

What does UM have going for it, and going against it, in 2014? :thumb:

:party:

The only way JJ plays to his full potential is if the coaching staff takes off the reins and let him do the things that make him outstanding. If that happens, this offense will be even better than last year, and the offense last year was great.

Right after I hit send on this thread, I saw the "Expecations" thread for the first time. I read just the comments in it, and came back here to copy my strength vs weakness post to post it in Expectations.

Someone can cancel this doomed thread.

OptimusPrime said:
Elite_Griz_Lover15 said:
RBs may not be as strong as most think with T. Van at a high risk of being kicked out of school due to a horribly low GPA...
Well that's interesting...

Yeah, that's a hell of a thing to drop on the board and then disappear. :lol:

Elite_Griz_Lover15 said:
RBs may not be as strong as most think with T. Van at a high risk of being kicked out of school due to a horribly low GPA...

Swing and a miss...... :roll:

IntuitiveGriz,You said it all here:
"Coastal Carolina OC saw this was happening and then sealed the game with the great call."
This is our biggest weakness.....in-game adjustments and playing the opponent as opposed to only playing your game.........sometimes you have to change your game to fit the strategy being used against you and that is genius (a leader) opposed to mediocre (a follower)

due to the increased parity in our conference, playing a tougher schedule this year and with the new overhauled defense our chances of coming out with a 9-3 record this year will depend 75% on our how well our team was coached and how well this is communicated during each game......i.e. this year's success will depend on and give opportunity for the coaches to shine or not. at this level of football coaching makes the talent look good not the other way around i.e NDSU

My opinion, coming out of spring camp:

Strengths:

- QB
- Running Back
- Wide Receivers
- Defensive Line
- Punter
- Tackles on the O-line

Weaknesses / Unknowns:

- Interior Offensive Line
- Linebackers (I like what I saw but very inexperienced)
- Secondary (Prove you can do it in conference)
- TE (more an unknown than a weakness)
- Kicker(s)

And, we all need to show up on Sept. 6 for the first home game (oh, I know it's against Cent. Wash. and I'm among those who don't like such games, but...), and cheer our throats out for the young men on the team -- NOT for the staff nor for the administration. Then, when the Griz are 2-0, we can move on to USD, and thence to NDSU.

BWahlberg said:

Strengths:

- QB
- Running Back
- Wide Receivers
- Defensive Line
- Punter
- Tackles on the O-line

Weaknesses / Unknowns:

- Kicker(s)

I agree with your strengths, except for your saying that our O-tackles are a strength. I say our entire O-line is a big weakness. The trouble with that is...... games are won/lost in the trenches. Ask the Bobcats from 2010 to 2012 about how a weak O-line can derail an offense.

Then, for weaknesses please insert our coaching staff. They are the worst as a group we have seen here in 20 years. You wonder why Coastal Carolina could make adjustments and school us? It is because our defenders did not play their gaps correctly. When I heard Gregorak state that he was going to allow Tripp to free-lance all over the field, I knew we were in for a frustrating season on defense. Then, Kefense is just plain awful in his game plan strategy and play calling. All he knows is trying for the home run on every drive. I just wonder how many drives of 10 plays or more we had all of last season. I'll bet they were very few.

Evers said:
BWahlberg said:

Strengths:

- QB
- Running Back
- Wide Receivers
- Defensive Line
- Punter
- Tackles on the O-line

Weaknesses / Unknowns:

- Kicker(s)

I agree with your strengths, except for your saying that our O-tackles are a strength. I say our entire O-line is a big weakness. The trouble with that is...... games are won/lost in the trenches. Ask the Bobcats from 2010 to 2012 about how a weak O-line can derail an offense.

Then, for weaknesses please insert our coaching staff. They are the worst as a group we have seen here in 20 years. You wonder why Coastal Carolina could make adjustments and school us? It is because our defenders did not play their gaps correctly. When I heard Gregorak state that he was going to allow Tripp to free-lance all over the field, I knew we were in for a frustrating season on defense. Then, Kefense is just plain awful in his game plan strategy and play calling. All he knows is trying for the home run on every drive. I just wonder how many drives of 10 plays or more we had all of last season. I'll bet they were very few.

From the drive charts, for drives of 10 or more plays:

CC (4), MSU (1, and 3 with 9), Weber (1, and 1 with 9 and 42 points), SD (2), SS (2, and 2 with 9), EWU (2, and 2 with 9), CP (1, and 1 with 9), Davis (3), PSU (1 and 55 points), NAU (1 and 1 with 9), OPSU (0 and 1 with 9 and 47 points), ND (2 and 55 points), ASU (2 and 2 with 9).

By comparison, EWU:

Towson (3), JSU (0), SDU (0), CP (0), PSU (0), MSU (1), SU (1), ND (0), Weber (1), SHS (1), Tol (0), W Ore (0), Ore St (4)

EWU averaged 39.5 pts per game; UM averaged 37.7.

Evers said:
BWahlberg said:

Strengths:

- QB
- Running Back
- Wide Receivers
- Defensive Line
- Punter
- Tackles on the O-line

Weaknesses / Unknowns:

- Kicker(s)

BW has a pretty handle on this. We have two of the best tackles in the league in Poole and Schmaing(sp). Kenfense aweful? Your just wrong in this statement. We had a very productive offense. I mean really we averaged, what, 38 points per game! What killed us was a defensive backfield which were out of position on key plays and kicking. If we have a weakness on the o-line it won't be the tackles. Personally I think this team is gonna win a lot of games.

Strengths
- clutch, smart, elusive senior QB
- athletic, consistent offensive tackles
- depth at RB
- Holmes&Wags reliable pressure off the edge (not used effectively w/in scheme tho.)
- Speed at LB
- Henderson returning kicks
- Punter

Questions
- leadership at QB. This team needs it desperately. Will Johnson bring it?
- consistent WR play
- depth/health at WR. Would Chase Nacarrato see the field at ewu? Will Walcott ever be 100%?
- interior o-line development

Weaknesses
- the entire defensive secondary
- undersized, inexperienced LB's
- QB depth. Develop someone besides SSH to backup Johnson and just consider the QB position in 2015.
- Kickers
- Mick Delaney. I don't see this team buying into whatever he is selling. Sort of looks like guys are simply going through the motions. Broad generalization, I know, but the attitude, swagger, and intensity has dipped under this staff.
- A defensive coordinator struggling to find his way as a DC. Enough rah-rah sh*t. Focus or let someone else run the D.

griz5700 said:
Strengths
- depth at RB
- Holmes&Wags reliable pressure off the edge (not used effectively w/in scheme tho.)
- Speed at LB
- Punter

Questions
- consistent WR play
- depth/health at WR. Would Chase Nacarrato see the field at ewu? Will Walcott ever be 100%?

Weaknesses
- QB depth. Develop someone besides SSH to backup Johnson and just consider the QB position in 2015.
- Kickers
- Mick Delaney. I don't see this team buying into whatever he is selling. Sort of looks like guys are simply going through the motions. Broad generalization, I know, but the attitude, swagger, and intensity has dipped under this staff.
- A defensive coordinator struggling to find his way as a DC. Enough rah-rah sh*t. Focus or let someone else run the D.

There are more strengths. Receivers for one. Don't agree with your comment on d-ends.

You have to be joking on qb leadership. JJ is great leader--one of the best ever at UM. My god, pay attention. Again, the receivers are a big strength. Near the top of the conference.

The secondary should be the best it's been in the past 3 years.

QB depth is actually pretty good now.

Kickers have improved. We'll see how much.

I think the players like Delaney and have bought in as much as they have with any coach in recent history.

Gregorak and d-coordinator are strengths of the team.

B.W. posted we gave up 41% on 3rd down last year. A great way to "LOSE" football games. Coastal Carolina...who took us out to the wood shed converted 9/15 on 3rd down in the ice debacle... We have to get off of the field on 3rd down at a better percentage this year or we won't be coming out on top against "quality" teams... :egriz:

rimrockgriz said:
B.W. posted we gave up 41% on 3rd down last year. A great way to "LOSE" football games. Coastal Carolina...who took us out to the wood shed converted 9/15 on 3rd down in the ice debacle... We have to get off of the field on 3rd down at a better percentage this year or we won't be coming out on top against "quality" teams... :egriz:

3d down defense was not good, and sometimes outright bad. Red zone defense was generally good. I see that UM held CC on 3d down on the first drive of the 2d quarter, and then gave up 3 3d down conversions in a row on the next drive, which was the first of the 3 TD's in a row at end of 2d quarter.

PlayerRep said:
griz5700 said:
Strengths
- depth at RB
- Speed at LB
- Punter

Questions
- consistent WR play

Weaknesses
- Kickers

There are more strengths. Receivers for one. Don't agree with your comment on d-ends.

You have to be joking on qb leadership. JJ is great leader--one of the best ever at UM. My god, pay attention. Again, the receivers are a big strength. Near the top of the conference.

The secondary should be the best it's been in the past 3 years.

QB depth is actually pretty good now.

Kickers have improved. We'll see how much.

I think the players like Delaney and have bought in as much as they have with any coach in recent history.

Gregorak and d-coordinator are strengths of the team.

I love our Wr's. The only question is, how much quality depth can we develop and expect behind Henderson and Jones. Overall, I also think our WR's are a strength.

I have never and never will question JJ's leadership. He is the kind of QB players love to bust ass for. I am questioning our depth behind him. Gustafson impressed me with his arm strength and good pocket presence in the last Spring scrimmage. I hear Simis is very similar to JJ. Problem is, have not saw enough of him to know what to expect. As of now, I am worried, if JJ is lost for an extended period.

I expect our secondary will be better due to more experience. The pass defense cannot get much worse though.

Kicking game also should improve. Like the secondary, it cannot get much worse.

Last season, it looked to me the players were playing very hard for Delaney and the effort was there much more than the prior season. I believe this team will play hard every snap this year as well. I question the coaches in other parts than playing hard. I question the decision making, strategy, and personnel decisions on each side of the ball. Against good defenses, our offense was way to predictable last season. The coaching staff did not keep with things that were working. Our passing game consisted of long pass after long pass and very little variety in the passing game. Rather it be the coaches or JJ, the passing game needs more variety to game plan against.

Defensively, this is a make or break season to me regarding Gregorak's future. On the positive side, LB's always play well and consistently under Gregorak, That is the reason why I'm not too concerned about our LB's this or any season. On the negative, secondary play has been questionable at it's best the last 2 seasons. Secondary play has been very inconsistent under Ty. Against good passing teams it has been the teams Achilles heel, and the main reason why the team struggled to do better. His schemes consistently give too much for quick passes, floods, and clear outs. Too many qb's have great passing days against our secondary. Pass schemes have to get more aggressive, and/or less predictable. The high 3rd down conversion rates for opponents is not a good sign. Also it is disappointing and upsetting when back to back seasons NAU has successfully ran their OL overload running plays at key moments against us. In 2013 they did not run it often, yet when they did, the defense did not recognize it and made no adjustments to stop it!!! Tackling was solid last year, but has room for improvement this season. Overall DL play last season took a step back in my opinion. That is a concern of mine.

I believe the GRIZ have the personnel to do much better defensively. I don't want to see teams beating us consistently through the air again this season. Defensively we either have to change how the players execute his schemes or mix up the schemes more. Either way, changes have to be made. Overall I grade the 2012 defense as a C-, 2013 I grade as a C to B-. The better grade from improved tackling and more forced turnovers. Defense needs to improve to B+ or better for me to have more confidence and support for Gregorak, Right now, I am not on the side of the defense being a team strength. It needs to continue to improve. Most of the improvement will be determined by his schemes. Can this defense be a strength? From a personnel stand point, I believe it can be a strength. The question is, do we have the right coaching to make it a strength? I sure in the hell hope so. Another season of learning is behind Gregorak. I hope the experience begins to pay off as he learns more.

Even slight improvements in the kicking game and pass defense will be nice. Overall the team is not too far from being great. Defense was very impressive in the last spring scrimmage to me. That is something to build on going into fall camp. Offensively our OL will be the X Factor in how well the offense does. Can the coaching staff improve enough to get the GRIZ back to being a national title contender? I sure hope so.

bigkid said:
Evers said:
BWahlberg said:

Strengths:

- QB
- Running Back
- Wide Receivers
- Defensive Line
- Punter
- Tackles on the O-line

Weaknesses / Unknowns:

- Kicker(s)

BW has a pretty handle on this. We have two of the best tackles in the league in Poole and Schmaing(sp). Kenfense aweful? Your just wrong in this statement. We had a very productive offense. I mean really we averaged, what, 38 points per game! What killed us was a defensive backfield which were out of position on key plays and kicking. If we have a weakness on the o-line it won't be the tackles. Personally I think this team is gonna win a lot of games.

Just because our tackles started last season, does not make them good. Tell me which one of them made All-Conference last year? Second team? In the past, we had sophs and juniors at OL make first team all-conference. Our O-line has not been up to previous standards for 2-3 years now. How long has it been since one of our O-linemen made an NFL roster, even the practice squad? That should tell you all you need to know.

As for Kefense, all I can say is that i am not alone in thinking his play calling sucks.

Latest posts

Back