• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

4 New JC Transfers for Fall Camp

go96griz

Offensive Line - Jared Clark
Tight End - Jermaine Jones
Safety - Eric Johnson
Cornerback - Name Not Released

Per the following article in the Missoulian, the Griz are getting four JC transfers for this fall. It doesn't say anything about the rumored UW o-lineman. The article is a good read - Mick is quietly confident in this team.

http://missoulian.com/sports/colleg...cle_253b7f9e-0c85-11e4-9b1d-0019bb2963f4.html

Young at heart: almost half a century in coaching, Delaney as enthusiastic as ever

PARK CITY, Utah – He’s quick to smile, with a mid-summer golfer’s tan that makes him look 10 years younger.

Ask Mick Delaney if 2014 is his final year as head coach of the Montana football team and he chuckles.

“I get asked that every single day and sometimes 10 times a day,” he joked at the annual Big Sky Summer Kickoff Tuesday at the Park City Marriott. “That remains to be seen.

“My health right now, thank the Lord, is very good. My energy is still really good. At this point it’s always a day-by-day, week-by-week, month-by-month situation and we’ll re-evaluate at the end of the season and see what kind of energy I have left, what direction the administration wants to go.”

One thing Delaney the coach never has to be reminded of is he’s only as good as his last game and/or season. The Griz finished 10-3 in 2014, so there’s every reason for him to feel good about his leadership going forward.

Asked a second time about leading Montana beyond 2014, Delaney responded enthusiastically.

“Sure!” he quipped. “I mean, hell, I’m only 71. Why not?

“I really enjoy the relationships with the coaches I have, energetic coaches that work so hard and do not have a huge ego agenda. Then obviously I would never stay in this business for almost 50 years if I didn’t enjoy the young men I have come in contact with day-in and day-out. You hopefully try to make a positive influence on their lives spiritually, physically and mentally. Any time you’re around young people who have energy and a lot of enthusiasm, it’s just really easy to be part of that.”

For a coach to be in the mix on any level for almost a half century requires a certain level of personal evolution. It’s safe to say Delaney has changed his approach with the times.

“Kids have changed tremendously because they’re much more intelligent,” he said. “Communication and technology have grown leaps and bounds since I started coaching obviously in 1964.

“I believe kids have changed but they want the same thing. They want discipline. They want an opportunity to have a team and have the team be important. We discipline our kids every bit as hard as we did 45 years ago with the Petrinos and Sweeneys. We just do it in a different way.”

Delaney guided the Griz over what he calls a “bump in the road” when his team finished 5-6 in 2012. Earning a playoff berth last season was icing on the cake for a 10-3 campaign, but you get the feeling Montana’s skipper has higher expectations this season.

“We’re really excited and really anxious to get going,” he said of preseason workouts, which start in earnest on Aug. 3. “This has been a special group so to speak, being part of the turnaround last year and then having the leadership we have in this senior class is outstanding.

“As far as the anticipation and the anxiousness, I think everybody really wants to get started. They jumped right into the summer workouts and they’ve been just an unbelievable group.”

For Montana to even match last year’s record may require improvement. The schedule is considerably tougher, with FBS Wyoming up first on Aug. 30 and three-time defending national champion North Dakota State up three weeks later.

Those games are on the road along with Big Sky Conference tests at North Dakota, Cal Poly, Eastern Washington and Southern Utah. The Griz do get a break at the end of the season in the form of a home game against Montana State, but generally speaking, the league slate couldn’t get much more challenging.

“You know, if you’re going to be among the best, you’ve got to play teams that are going to keep you the best,” Delaney said. “For whatever reason, we’ve played very well on the road since I’ve been here. It’s been kind of a trait of Grizzly football.

“Obviously you’re expected to win in Washington-Grizzly Stadium. If we played Notre Dame or Southern Cal they’d expect us to win at home. Those expectations are good, but this program has been a real solid road team.”

The Grizzlies’ hard work in the weight room , under the guidance of veteran strength coach Mike Gerber, is one reason Delaney is excited about August. Another is their willingness to treat player-run practices – they’ve been gathering twice a week this summer – as important opportunities.

Montana’s experience and talent at quarterback, running back and receiver have been well-documented. The offense is not as established up front and that area will be a priority next month.

“We’ve got great competition there but I think it’s going to take a little while,” Delaney said. “That’s why you play nonconference games like Wyoming, North Dakota State, South Dakota and Central Washington.

“It’s going to take a little while probably for them to mold together, but we do have guys that I think are going to be really good players and really solid. And we have a junior college kid (Jared Clark) coming in. When it’s all said and done I think we’ll be pretty good on the offensive line.”

The tight end position is also a priority in preseason workouts. The team lost 2013 mainstays Clay Pierson and Jordan Harper and will look to converted wideout Mitch Saylor, redshirt freshman Mike Ralston and juco transfer Jermaine Jones, among others, to pick up the slack.

“(Ralston) is a prototypical tight end, 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds,” Delaney said. “(He has) no game experience but had a good spring and is having a really good summer.

“Again it will take a little time. Tight end is an important position in this pro style offense so I’m really looking forward to what we will end up with.”

On defense, Montana lost seven starters, including three veteran linebackers. But Delaney isn’t too worried heading into camp.

“I think we’re going to be as good on defense as we’ve been since I’ve been here,” he said. “Obviously I’m a very optimistic positive person, or at least try to be, but when I look over there and watch the tape from spring and watch the kids, what they do and how they handle themselves, I just feel we’re going to be really good on defense.

“I think we’re as good as anybody up front … I think it’s going to be a fast defense and a very aggressive defense. I know that we tackled better in the spring than we did in the fall. It was a huge point of emphasis and we’ll continue that in pre-fall. I think we’ll be a fun defense to watch.”

Notes: Montana’s debut at Wyoming is Aug 30. The game will mark the start of Delaney’s third season as head coach … Montana has added two juco transfers on defense. Safety Eric Johnson is one of those newcomers. The name of the other, a cornerback, has yet to be officially released.

Jermaine Laney College Football

#82 Junior TE
JERMAINE JONES
Laney College Football, Oakland, CA
6'3" - 240

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1815497/highlights/109620381\

"tweaner" guy how about a poor mans Jimmy Graham maybe...Looks like a mis-match waiting to happen if he's used correctly. i dont see him being anymore physical than who we already have at the position. However, he definitely would help if the attention is on the outside WRs

#55 Jared Clark OT
Citrus College
Sophomore
6'6 - 225

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/582063/jared-clark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good looking OT with a ton of athleticism, goot feet, gets leverage & maintains his blocks well. Could use a quick 10-15 as long as he doesnt loose his nimbleness. Looks legit & looks like three (3) year of his too.

#3 Junior SS/FS
ERIC JOHNSON
Height 6'2"
Weight 192lbs

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/828111/eric-johnson

First Impression: Not exceptionally physical for his size BUT very athletic, ball hawk, defensive playmaker with good open field speed; looks likes he is mentally aware to make plays on the ball like Tripp to cause turnovers. Goes & gets the ball off the ground!

NewPapaBear said:

#82 Junior TE
JERMAINE JONES
6'3" - 240

I dont mean to make this sound bad but Jones looks like a "tweaner" or a depending on how the use him a poor mans Jimmy Graham maybe...Looks like a mis-match waiting to happen if he's used correctly. i dont see him being anymore physical than who we already have at the position. However, he definitely would help if the attention is on the outside WRs

Found this posting on Laney College Football's Facebook account:

Laney College Football

July 1
Congrats to Jermaine Jones and Eric Johnson. JJ and Eric will both be attending the University of Montana on full scholarship to play football! Another two Eagles leaving to play D1 football!

NewPapaBear said:
NewPapaBear said:

#82 Junior TE
JERMAINE JONES
6'3" - 240

I dont mean to make this sound bad but Jones looks like a "tweaner" or a depending on how the use him a poor mans Jimmy Graham maybe...Looks like a mis-match waiting to happen if he's used correctly. i dont see him being anymore physical than who we already have at the position. However, he definitely would help if the attention is on the outside WRs
A 240 WR...sure why not.

As I have noted before these guys are needed and if they do not start they will play for us in a serious back-up role. Coach indicated one may be good enough to work his way into a starting role soon. I like what I have seen so far. Will the season ever begin!

NewPapaBear said:
#55 Jared Clark OT
Citrus College
Sophomore
6'6 - 225

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/582063/jared-clark" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good looking OT with a ton of athleticism, goot feet, gets leverage & maintains his blocks well. Could use a quick 10-15 as long as he doesnt loose his nimbleness. Looks legit & looks like three (3) year of his too.
How come he only played in 3 of his teams 11 games? One in sept and two in nov. not even a starter for his JC team? Mabey he's still coming into his prime.

New Papa Bear's post said 225 pounds for Clark, I did a double take, his linked profile says 265... still too light but way better than 225!

BWahlberg said:
New Papa Bear's post said 225 pounds for Clark, I did a double take, his linked profile says 265... still too light but way better than 225!

I am 5'9" and 245, if he is 6'6" and only 225, he is bean pole. 265 sounds much better!

NewPapaBear said:
NewPapaBear said:

#82 Junior TE
JERMAINE JONES
6'3" - 240

Last years stats. 10 rec and 5 td's. He should fit right in, except for he averaged 19 yards a rec.

EWU recently just received a transfer Corner from Arizona State, played 20 games for the Sun Devils, Rashad Wadood. Big get for EWU as corner is our concern going into this year. Heard he was headed to Montana before he changed to come to EWU, not sure if its true or not, but thought the Griz may know something about it.

Not trying to cause a stir, just curious if the Griz knew anything about it...

marceagfan5 said:
EWU recently just received a transfer Corner from Arizona State, played 20 games for the Sun Devils, Rashad Wadood. Big get for EWU as corner is our concern going into this year. Heard he was headed to Montana before he changed to come to EWU, not sure if its true or not, but thought the Griz may know something about it.

If Colter Nuanez said so then you can be assured it is true. He has excellent information and he is a hell of a writer and football analyst. Colter's terrific coverage for the cats is the one thing that I am envious about with that program.

At least we don't have to hear Colter on here anonymously pimping for his little brother anymore or complaining about Jimmy Wilson returning to the program. :)

Colter, if you're listening, it's time you return to your Griz roots and give us some great coverage. That is all...

go96griz said:
marceagfan5 said:

If Colter Nuanez said so then you can be assured it is true. He has excellent information and he is a hell of a writer and football analyst. Colter's terrific coverage for the cats is the one thing that I am envious about with that program.

At least we don't have to hear Colter on here anonymously pimping for his little brother anymore or complaining about Jimmy Wilson returning to the program. :)

Colter, if you're listening, it's time you return to your Griz roots and give us some great coverage. That is all...

I've heard it a couple times, but I definitely trust Colter...

marceagfan5 said:
go96griz said:
marceagfan5 said:

Yep, it's true

BWahlberg said:
marceagfan5 said:
go96griz said:
marceagfan5 said:

Yep, it's true

Call it the "rich getting richer" or " to the victors go the spoils". EWU is getting the breaks that UM got 5-10 years ago during their dominance of the BSC. Not good Griz fans.

CV Griz Fan said:
BWahlberg said:
marceagfan5 said:
go96griz said:

Yep, it's true

Call it the "rich getting richer" or " to the victors go the spoils". EWU is getting the breaks that UM got 5-10 years ago during their dominance of the BSC. Not good Griz fans.
This too shall pass.

Back