• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weekly Position Discussion, week 8 - Tight End

BWahlberg

DONOR
We’re now 2 ½ weeks from the start of fall camp! I’ve got 3 position posts left, TE, D-line, and Special Teams. Being it’s mid-week and this is a shorter discussion point, lets go with the TEs. The Griz lost almost their entire group of contributing TEs this season, Pierson to graduation and both Harper and Hagfors left the team. Hagfors I believe was listed as a FB but also played some spot TE duty I think. The only hold-over is a WR convert in Mitch Saylor who I also think lined up and played TE later in the season once he got back in the action.

Now before you say the TE spot doesn’t need significant role players, consider JJ’s two seasons at QB, 2011 and 2013. These are his combined passing stats across all roster TE’s.

2011: 470 receiving yards and 3 TDs (Hardy & Middleton)
2013: 366 yards and 11 TDs (Pierson, Harper, and Saylor)

JJ showed last year he likes to find his bigger targets, especially in the endzone. The 11 TDs thrown to TEs last year is just over 1/3 of his total TD passes. So essentially every 3rd TD he threw… went to a tight end. Important stuff to consider as we look at the 2014 season.

Co -Starter Mike Ralston – I’m not sure how they’ll list the starter, honestly. Go with the run blocker TE that they’ll use more, or the pass catching TE that’ll be more noticeable in the stat book? Mostly because with the balanced/power game I’d suspect the coaches will first want Ralston out there. He’s the right size for what teams want in a run-blocking TE. His catching looked pretty good when I watched drills but come live 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 stuff he’d vanish. Coach Delaney said he’s having a great summer, I hope so, I don’t recall him snagging a lot (if any) catches or TDs in many drills or scrimmages.

Co -Starter Mitch Saylor – Saylor’s about 15 pounds or so lighter than the other TEs but keep in mind he’s a converted WR. It’s his senior year and so far Mitch has not been able to show much due to continual injuries or being buried in depth. A healthy Saylor could present some great mis-matches in the middle of the field. Being a WR before he’s had to block plenty, but that’s usually on cornerbacks and safeties, now he’s going to be asked to help block D-ends and OLBs… how will he adapt? I think a healthy Saylor is the best RZ threat for the Griz of the TE group, if he can finish strong his senior season he could see a Pierson or Harper-like stat line from last season (just a couple hundred yards receiving but 4 or 5 TDs).

2nd string Cooper Sprunk – Sprunk strikes me as a guy that is raw but very strong. He’s listed at 250 pounds and appears to do well as a strong blocker. He’s got quicker feet than some would imagine too, I recall a few nice long running catches from a few practices. Much like Ralston though, once the 7on7 or 11on11 started, he would not show up as a target. Catching still needs to keep improving as well. Would be a great option for lead-blocking as another fullback, or on the edge, or in short yardage situations.

Depth Jermaine Jones – No clue on this guy, I think the info linked to him that was posted on this last night is not the same guy but a kid that’s still in high school for a few years. I’ve not seen a lot of JuCo kids come in and adapt their first year. Will have to see what he’s made of come fall camp.

Depth Reggie Tilleman – One of our walk-on recruits, he’s 6-4 but listed at just 195. Unless he’s put on some serious weight and added strength… I dunno, being under 200 probably doesn’t mean you’ll be playing at TE in the FCS.

My guess is that TE will be our weak link at the begining of the season. I am hoping Jones will turn out to be a great surprise. I have no reason for that other than what one of the coaches told me about him. Lets hope we get someone to step up.

DSC_5005_FWUPPDGJZR.jpg

Umista said:
My guess is that TE will be our weak link at the begining of the season. I am hoping Jones will turn out to be a great surprise. I have no reason for that other than what one of the coaches told me about him. Lets hope we get someone to step up.

I also heard the coaches are really high on the transfer and expect for him to push for playing time immediately.

The griz will need to use a lot of double TE just for pass blocking. Your offense is going to be 2 yards and a cloud of dust. Ellis Henderson should just transfer again.

GoldenEagle said:
The griz will need to use a lot of double TE just for pass blocking. Your offense is going to be 2 yards and a cloud of dust. Ellis Henderson should just transfer again.

Is this what an EWU degree gets you? :lame: :lame:

AZGrizFan said:
GoldenEagle said:

egriz posters seem to think the griz will be able to open up the offense and have your quarterback run more. Your quarterback is a tough kid but got roughed up a bunch last year. Do you really think the OL you put on the field this year is improved over last year?

GoldenEagle said:

Does a goldeneagle take golden showers?

fanofzoo said:
GoldenEagle said:

Get ready to see a lot more games like the NAU game last year. Your mythical DOLA is long gone.

GoldenEagle said:
fanofzoo said:
GoldenEagle said:

Get ready to see a lot more games like the NAU game last year. Your mythical DOLA is long gone.

:lol: :roll:

GoldenEagle said:
AZGrizFan said:
GoldenEagle said:

egriz posters seem to think the griz will be able to open up the offense and have your quarterback run more. Your quarterback is a tough kid but got roughed up a bunch last year. Do you really think the OL you put on the field this year is improved over last year?

You sound like a politician....keep repeating the same myths and eventually even YOU believe it to be true. Case in point: In the EWU/UM game, Jordan Johnson took exactly ONE more hit than Vernon Adams did. ONE. And a couple of hits VA took almost broke him in half.

And please tell me the last time we DIDN'T send at least one O-lineman to an NFL camp? We're almost ALWAYS having to replace an all-conference, All American, etc., etc., etc. on the O-Line...

But feel free to continue underestimating the Griz. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
GoldenEagle said:

Wait, EWU is a degree granting institution? Who knew?

GoldenEagle said:

Wonderful assumptions there. However there's one thing every Scott Gragg-coached O-line has been excellent at, pass protection.

Sacks allowed:

2010: 5th best
2011: Best in the conference
2012: 3rd best
2013: 3rd best

And in 2012 and 2013 the teams ahead of the UM were spread-option teams, Cal Poly and Portland State (both years) where the opportunity to even attempt a sack on a QB was pretty darn rare.

Your claim that he'll need a ton of protection in passing is wrong. First of all he's a great scrambler, one of the three best in the conference right there with Vernon Adams and Garret Saffron. Secondly his running backs, especially Canada and Nguyen are great at picking up blitzes. Finally JJ has the ability that I haven't even seen in Adams or Saffron to find an open target in the face of heavy pressure. Going back and reviewing a lot of his games last year and in 2011 he was deadly efficient in the face of heavy pressure.

Pass protection isn't my concern as much as run blocking is.

BWahlberg said:
GoldenEagle said:

Wonderful assumptions there. However there's one thing every Scott Gragg-coached O-line has been excellent at, pass protection.

Sacks allowed:

And in 2012 and 2013 the teams ahead of the UM were spread-option teams, Cal Poly and Portland State (both years) where the opportunity to even attempt a sack on a QB was pretty darn rare.

Your claim that he'll need a ton of protection in passing is wrong. First of all he's a great scrambler, one of the three best in the conference right there with Vernon Adams and Garret Saffron. Secondly his running backs, especially Canada and Nguyen are great at picking up blitzes. Finally JJ has the ability that I haven't even seen in Adams or Saffron to find an open target in the face of heavy pressure. Going back and reviewing a lot of his games last year and in 2011 he was deadly efficient in the face of heavy pressure.

I'm starting to get the distinct impression that GoldenShower never played the game. :evil: :evil: :cool:

BWahlberg said:
GoldenEagle said:

Sacks allowed:

Nowhere in my post did I mention sacks. You think the only way a QB gets roughed up or injured is from a sack. The reason he had low sack numbers is because he is mobile. Doesn't mean he wasn't getting knocked on his arse continually.

Quarterbacks who have to throw under consistent heavy pressure are more susceptible to injury.

I am not criticizing JJ. Like I said, he is tough and is a good quarterback. I bet pass protection is his concern since he is the one that takes the punishment. Not middle-aged fatties in old gas guzzling MOPARs who never played the game (AzGrizFan).

GoldenEagle said:
BWahlberg said:
GoldenEagle said:

Sacks allowed:

Nowhere in my post did I mention sacks. You think the only way a QB gets roughed up or injured is from a sack. The reason he had low sack numbers is because he is mobile. Doesn't mean he wasn't getting knocked on his arse continually.

Quarterbacks who have to throw under consistent heavy pressure are more susceptible to injury.

I am not criticizing JJ. Like I said, he is tough and is a good quarterback. I bet pass protection is his concern since he is the one that takes the punishment. Not middle-aged fatties in old gas guzzling MOPARs who never played the game (AzGrizFan).

Another assumption, I never said the only way a QB gets hurt is when he's sacked. Your initial comment was on pass protection, and while sacks isn't the only indicator of it - it's one of the few at the college level one can use to track it. We could look at pressures and knock-downs... if those were reported, that is a more telling stat. However all I've got to go off is sacks.

Also, I was using it to justify that all Scott Gragg-coached O-lines have been good at pass protection, to counter your point that the Griz will need 2 TEs just to help with pass protection.

GoldenEagle said:
BWahlberg said:
GoldenEagle said:

Sacks allowed:

Yo, Vernon Adams is the biggest chicken shit pu**y QB in the entire nation. If he has low sack numbers it is only because he is scared of his own shadow. Cannot wait to watch him drop down to the ground like the little bitch he is every time a defender comes within a couple yds from him come Sept.

Latest posts

Back