• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some small but noticeable upgrades to WaGriz for the fall

Dmontanagrizzlies

DONOR
http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072314aaa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

July 23, 2014

Washington-Grizzly Stadium has the reputation of producing the best fan experience in the Football Championship Subdivision, but Chuck Maes knows reputations are like eggs: fragile, easy to break and very hard to put back together.

That's why people who attend a Montana Grizzly football game this fall will notice three major upgrades to the stadium, all added to enhance the fan experience at a venue already known for sending first-timers away wondering how soon it will be before they can make it back.

"We think we're the No. 1 program for fan experience in the FCS, and the danger of being No. 1 is you can become complacent," says Maes, an associate AD at Montana who oversees the stadium that seats 25,217.

"The person who's in second place is always working to become No. 1, so one of the things (UM Director of Athletics Kent Haslam) has really challenged everybody to do is never rest on our laurels and always try to find ways to improve and be better."

Since the stadium opened in October 1986, fans navigating their way to seats up and down the east and west sides -- the former: 27 rows from top to bottom, the latter: 26 -- have had to do so without a safety net. No longer.

By the home opener, against Central Washington on Sept. 6, new handrails, built and installed by Professional Construction Services of Missoula, will be running down the middle of the 42-inch-wide aisles that divide the east-and west-side seating sections.

They will come with no effect on sightlines but loads of effect on personal safety and security for those not born Wallenda.

"People have been asking about handrails for years, so it's something that's been long overdue," says Maes. "This will be huge for our fans, especially for those who don't feel safe getting down to their seats."

The 10,580 fans who watched the first game at Washington-Grizzly Stadium, a 38-31 victory over Idaho State on Oct. 18, 1986, would have understood the idea of new handrails. But smartphones and ribbon boards? No so much.

The stadium will now have improved reception for cell phones, and LED ribbon boards will run along the faces of sections 229 and 233, otherwise known as the pie-shaped wedges of the upper north end zone that were added during the 2008 expansion.

As the size of the stadium has increased and the number of cell phones in use during home games has multiplied, the former cell tower tasked with handling the demand, from its position on the nearby heating plant, quickly became outdated.

The fix: Crown Castle International spent $3 million, with no expense to Montana, to outfit Washington-Grizzly Stadium with more than 60 small, inconspicuous antennas, all of which feed, via hardwired fiber, into a headroom located in the northwest corner of the stadium. Which is to say, tweet away.

"We found that people could text when they were at a football game but could rarely use their phones for anything else," says Maes. "The system would just get overloaded. People couldn't receive phone calls and they couldn't hop on the internet."

The new setup provides two antennas per section, which on average seat about 700 fans. The antennas have been positioned so everybody in the stadium has the same coverage and the same opportunity to be connected.

It ups the stadium's entertainment options for fans. And more important, it means more urgent communications will be able to come in and go out.

"The way fans interact during a game has changed dramatically the last few years," says Haslam. "So this will allow fans to have fun, but it also addresses the safety issue. Fans and game-day staff need to be able to contact people outside the stadium when the need arises and vice versa."

The ribbon boards, a no-cost benefit of the department's relationship with Grizzly Sports Properties, will each be more than 50 feet in length and 48 inches tall, with 40-inch LED displays.

Montana is 176-26 at home since Washington-Grizzly Stadium opened, and the product on the field will always be the focus and carry the greatest weight. But everything else about game days, categorized as "second experiences," is a close runner-up when it comes to the people who are purchasing the tickets.

When those second experiences are hardly noticed -- parking is easy, ushers are friendly, concession lines are speedy -- Maes and his team have done their job. And they know bad experiences can threaten a return trip.

"Everybody comes to the game for the game," says Maes, "but whether they enjoy themselves and want to come back has a lot to do with the second experiences they have.

"Anything we can do to make their experience a little more enjoyable is a positive thing. Those are the things we're always working to improve."

And the handrails, improved cell service and ribbon boards are just the start of a master plan that will produce more upgrades over the coming seasons. Says Haslam, "We want to keep Washington-Grizzly Stadium a place people want to be on Saturday afternoons."

Get rid of Mo, update the Monte show, dump Jimmy John's, kiss cam and update the tunes and you have improvements. All they've done so far is shake some sugar on $hit and try to sell it as desert.

grizfnz said:
Get rid of Mo, update the Monte show, dump Jimmy John's, kiss cam and update the tunes and you have improvements. All they've done so far is shake dome sugar on $hit and try to sell it as desert.

I agree with everything you said.. If I hear "Bring em out" one more time, the shit is hitting the fan!

:cool:

I agree with you both...but what have you really done about it other than post your displeasure on here? Just my Lincoln's. ;)

We're seriously making press releases now for handrails and cell phone towers?! BIG things happening at Wa-Griz!

One thing that I disagree with is the showing of NFL-type material on the GrizVision screen, and not concentrating on NCAA football instead. Why bother with NFL-type bloopers, hi-lites, etc., instead of FCS (NCAA) hi-lites and game updates? The Griz is FCS-NCAA. Main interest for me is not some NFL hi-lite, blooper plays from twenty-to-thirty years ago, but whether other teams at the FCS level are doing this or doing that - and accompanying hi-lites of NCAA games, if possible. Maintain everything in their proper context.
:rant:

Actually, I've read Missoulian articles about pretty much EVERY SINGLE upgrade to Wash-Griz over the last 20 years, including one year when all that was done was some new plumbing. Wash-Griz is one of the cornerstones of Missoula itself, it's an iconic landmark in Missoula, not just the University of Montana or Griz football. It's Missoula news anytime anything is done there. PERIOD.

And I actually don't consider the new cell coverage to be small news. For such a bigtime event as Griz football games are, at least in Montana, the cell situation had become a big and important problem. Maybe not to some, but it is to others, including me and several other journalists who use Twitter at the games. There are large NCAA FBS stadiums who have also experienced this problem in recent years, and some have not remedied the situation yet. So to hear UM has remedied the cell situation is a big deal. Also, as Hammer said earlier, there will be a big story on the NEW GRIZ VISION, which will be installed in the summer of 2015. And rumor has it, that Griz Vision will be accompanied with upgrades to the actual scoreboard as well, and IMHO, THAT is long overdue.

Some new pre-game stuff would be cool. I agree that Bring em Out needs to be scrapped.

I still want Monte to zip-line in from the top of the smoke stack.

They actually starting installing the antennas last season, they weren't able to get it up and running. I longed to be able to do some of the work but it never panned out. Then this year they needed a little help getting the fiber in, so I finally got to work in wgs (I missed out on the stadium lights too). When we left I couldn't resist snapping a pic.

CDAGRIZ said:
Are the ribbon boards only for ads?
That was my initial thought too. If they show more ads than stats, which is usually the case, its not an upgrade at all. In fact none of these are upgrades. More ads, more hipsters, and more old people

LSU and Clemson football venues share the Death Valley nickname and Michigan has The Big House...after 28 years isn't The Bear's Lair overdue for one of its own :?: :coffee:

havgrizfan said:
Actually, I've read Missoulian articles about pretty much EVERY SINGLE upgrade to Wash-Griz over the last 20 years, including one year when all that was done was some new plumbing.

That's a pretty fucking important upgrade with all the regular mountain men shitting out their weird stews and roots and what not. Add that to the meth shits certain visiting fans are dropping, and JJ could be ankle deep by the time people get back to their seats in the 3Q. Not every school is lucky enough to have the adjacent, downhill sewage pond like MSU.

CDAGRIZ said:
havgrizfan said:
Actually, I've read Missoulian articles about pretty much EVERY SINGLE upgrade to Wash-Griz over the last 20 years, including one year when all that was done was some new plumbing.

That's a pretty f***[*] important upgrade with all the regular mountain men shitting out their weird stews and roots and what not. Add that to the meth shits certain visiting fans are dropping, and JJ could be ankle deep by the time people get back to their seats in the 3Q. Not every school is lucky enough to have the adjacent, downhill sewage pond like MSU.

bb-high-five.gif

Fitting. And I can't help but notice the EWU red on Pinkman . . . bitch. I'm told Badger and Skinny Pete are also fans. Combo was a Cat, however, RIP.

havgrizfan said:
And I actually don't consider the new cell coverage to be small news. For such a bigtime event as Griz football games are, at least in Montana, the cell situation had become a big and important problem. Maybe not to some, but it is to others, including me and several other journalists who use Twitter at the games. There are large NCAA FBS stadiums who have also experienced this problem in recent years, and some have not remedied the situation yet. So to hear UM has remedied the cell situation is a big deal. Also, as Hammer said earlier, there will be a big story on the NEW GRIZ VISION, which will be installed in the summer of 2015. And rumor has it, that Griz Vision will be accompanied with upgrades to the actual scoreboard as well, and IMHO, THAT is long overdue.

You are right on, bringing the stadium into the 21st century is actually a really big deal, a really good idea, and may help drive some renewed demand for student tickets which has been a recent topic of debate here on eGriz. These younger generations interact with their surroundings in a much different way then when you and I were in college, and cell service is critical to that.

Here is an article from from the WSJ, and if the admin wants to stay on top, I really hope they have read it.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-college-football-is-studying-major-league-soccer-1405556573

Back