• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weekly Position Discussion, week 9 - Defensive Line

BWahlberg

DONOR
2nd to last position discussion, lets go with one of our strongest positions top to bottom – the defensive line. Much like the WR corps, the D-line only lost one major contributor and it’s got the depth and talent built in to be able to fill that spot and hopefully not miss a beat. The challenge of course is that one loss, Alex Bienemann, represented a lot of the passion, heart, and soul of the D-line. Can the other D-line veterans pick up that slack? Wags, Takai, and Holmes will be looked upon to lead this group.

Lets start with the defensive ends:

Starter – Zach Wagenmann – Wags is widely regarded as the best defensive end in the Big Sky and one of the top defensive players in the FCS. He’s the pre-season defensive MVP, 1st team all-conference, and he’s on the Buch Buchanan watch list. He’s received plenty of pre-season accolades, save one from C-G Insider who was quickly taken to task on twitter from another former Griz D-lineman, and there’s plenty of hopes that 2014 will be his best season ever. Wags is a powerful speed rusher, he punishes QBs and is also great in run-support. A lot of speed rush D-ends aren’t that great in run defense, but Wags bucks that trend. It’s kind of hard to find an area that Wags need improvement on, his stat line last year, 64 tackles, 16.5 TFLs, 8.5 sacks, 6 QB hits, 1 recovered fumble, 3 forced fumbles is solid. I’d love to see him get 20+ TFLs and 10+ sacks this season.

Starter – Tyrone Holmes – Holmes hit a little bit of a sophomore slump after a stellar freshman season, posting 4 sacks (compared to 5 in 2012). He bumped up his QB hits though and when you talked to coaches he was making an impact that just wasn’t showing up in the stat books – forcing many hurried throws and pressures on QBs. Holmes, now a junior, I’m thinking will really show he’s a well-rounded and dangerous D-end. He’s very quick out of his stance and has great speed. He needs to keep improving on his motor – to keep going even when an O-lineman has him bottled up. Rush defense needs to keep getting better too. It’s a tall order but I could see this being a season where both our starting D-ends have double-digit sacks.

Backup – Derek Crittenden – Crittenden quietly had a solid season as a backup defensive end, finishing 8th on the team in tackles (more than Kidder or Holmes). He didn’t have many flashy stats, only half a sack, one fumble recovery, and a blocked kick. This season I’m thinking his role will stay the same, rotate in and help Wags and Holmes, also to be a force on special teams. For 2014 what I’d love to see from Derek is a bump-up in sacks and QB hits, to start to transition and get ready for presumably starting in 2015.

Backup – Ryan Johnson – Johnson I presume is going to enter fall camp as the other #2 defensive end but he’s going to see some major pressure from a healthy Addison Owen. Johnson’s advantage over Owen is experience at the position. We’ve seen at least 2 spring camps and 1 fall camp where Johnson has made a ton of flashy plays, including forced fumbles, interceptions on batted passes, and I think even scoring a defensive touchdown. He started the 2013 season as a backup and special team player but lost his job as the season went on. As a backup on defense you’ve got to be good at special teams, I wonder if that was his hold-up last year. Hopefully another year and some more experience in ST duty has Ryan ready to contribute

Backup – Addison Owen – I’m also listing Owen as a backup because I think him and Johnson are going to be duking it out this fall. Owen brings more speed and special teams acumen than Johnson but has no experience as a defensive end, and he missed spring ball, recovering from a surgery. Owen is going to have to adapt quickly to defensive end if he wants to see significant time this season. He could be the next Severin Campbell, who converted from OLB to DE and was a great pass rusher, but we just have to see what he can do once practice starts.

Depth – Aschan Richards – Richards is switching sides of the field, moving from TE to DE. He was a defensive end in high school. So far his Grizzly career has been injury after injury, and I don’t recall him practicing in fall camp. We’ll just have to see how he does back in his old high school position once fall camp gets under way.

OK now lets move to the interior, defensive tackle:

Starter – Tonga Takai – Takai is a defensive co-captain this season. A testament to toughness and durability he’s never missed a game that I’m aware of and is that ideal wide-body nose tackle a team wants in the middle of the D-line. Takai used to fool defenders with his quickness though (most all teams know about it now) and he’s an incredibly strong guy. He does his job well, fill the gap the interior O-line looks to create, force double teams, and slow down the running back. Takai’s always lacked in stats but as a DT that’s expected. He’s considered one of the best in the Big Sky. Tonga’s orders for this season? More of the same. I’d love to see some sacks or forced fumbles out of him too.

Starter – Caleb Kidder – Kidder eased into his role with much more playing time in 2014 and now it’s his time to shine as the other starter on this talented d-line. Kidder is a very fast and agile defensive tackle and this off-season adding more strength will only help him out. As I was told he was playing through injury last season so I’m expecting big things in 2014 now that he’ll presumably be back on track. One thing I really like about Kidder is his awareness of when a pass is being thrown and the ability to go up and bat it down. Did you know he was tied for 2nd on the team in knocked down passes? And I’m not talking about d-line players only. Chief Goodwin had 14 knocked down passes and then Kidder was tied with Jordan Tripp and Bo Tully… all with 5 knocked down passes. Kidder’s stock is on the rise, it’s time for (who I bet will be the next #37) to show what he’s made of.

Backup – Trevor Rehm – Your blue-collar behind the scenes guy on the D-line. Rehm is now a senior and will rotate in a bunch this season, as he has in the last few years. A little undersized as a D-tackle he makes up for it with a high motor and good speed for his position. Like in the past few years his stats won’t really amaze anyone, but he’s a guy that can be looked upon to provide good help off the bench and who can help keep the middle plugged up.

Backup – Zach Peevey – Peevey reminds me a lot of Alex Bienemann. He came to the Griz as an athletic freak of a d-lineman and has rather rapidly been asked to play multiple positions on the D-line and in special teams. Peevey, much line Bienemann, has succeeded so far. Last year Peevey was a D-end and a special teamer. About ¼ through the season he surpassed Ryan Johnson and started to travel and backup at D-end. Now as a RS-Sophomore Peevey finds himself as a backup at defensive tackle and will be looked upon to contribute big time on special teams as well. Much like Ryan Johnson he’s had some tremendous spring and fall camps, making a lot of great individual plays. For Peevey, it’s now time to prove it on the field. ST is where he’ll be needed the most I bet – but expect to see him out there helping backup Kidder and Takai as well.

Depth – Bo Harris – I’ve heard conflicting info that Harris has hung it up and others that he’s here in town this summer getting ready for fall camp. So… not sure here. He’s a big dude, a guy I think the coaches are hoping would take the role that will be left open by Takai in 2015. I don’t recall him practicing in spring camp.

Depth – Nate Bradley – You may be asking, “who is that?” Bradley is a walk-on from Billings who had a great spring camp which earned him a roster spot on the 2014 team. Bradley is a short guy at 5-10 but he’s listed at 260 pounds and this spring he showed some good raw talent, forcing a few fumbles and making some big stops. He could turn into a Ben Hughes-type of player with another year in the weight room and continued experience at the FCS level. We’ll see.

The Griz also have some D-line help coming with new recruits, however I don’t know if any will be pressed into service this season. Might be best for them to redshirt. But we’ll see what they’re made of in a few weeks time.

Cole Swartz – 6-5, 230 pound defensive end
Ben D’Alton – 6-3, 233 pound defensive lineman
Kyle Davis – 6-1, 245 pound defensive tackle
Evan Mcksch – 6-5, 230 pound defensive end
Nick Mertes, 6-3, 230 pound defensive end

Thought I'd show who took C-G insider to task on his best d-lineman pick too:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/feather_mt/status/489918092068130816[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/feather_mt/status/489918721578655744[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/feather_mt/status/489926000973602816[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/feather_mt/status/489927540518039552[/tweet]

Which received the reply of:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/489943670057996289[/tweet]

BW, great write up and analysis as always. Bo Harris was with the team at least in mid-June making an appearance at the Carousel for Missoula with other Griz FB players in a fundraising event. He was wearing a jersey at the time so if he hung it up it's been since then. Also, Wags is #37 - not Kidder as you mention above. Perhaps you are forecasting a year into the future. Kidder certainly is deserving.

Tyrone Holmes needs to step it up this year. He will be a 2 year starter as a Jr next year. With 11.5 tackles for losses and 9 sacks in his career, I would hope to see a significant increase in those numbers, especially with teams focusing on Wags. With alot of hype coming out of high school, he has yet to really show it in the stat book. His Fr sacks number was slightly inflated with getting 4 of his 5 sacks in one game against Id St. Last year was a little better while he only had 4 sacks, he did also have 5 hurries. He also raised his total tackles from 24 to 37. We must also remember he played as a true Fr. Wags redshirted his Fr year so his breakout year was the equivalent of Holmes's upcoming Jr year. Not sayin' everyone should redshirt, I'm just sayin...

go96griz said:
BW, great write up and analysis as always. Bo Harris was with the team at least in mid-June making an appearance at the Carousel for Missoula with other Griz FB players in a fundraising event. He was wearing a jersey at the time so if he hung it up it's been since then. Also, Wags is #37 - not Kidder as you mention above. Perhaps you are forecasting a year into the future. Kidder certainly is deserving.

Solid stuff, thanks. Good to hear Bo Harris is still on the team - we need another big body guy.

And yeah I changed my write-up, that is my belief that Kidder is the next #37, that was what I meant to type!

alabamagrizzly said:
Tyrone Holmes needs to step it up this year. He will be a 2 year starter as a Jr next year. With 11.5 tackles for losses and 9 sacks in his career, I would hope to see a significant increase in those numbers, especially with teams focusing on Wags. With alot of hype coming out of high school, he has yet to really show it in the stat book. His Fr sacks number was slightly inflated with getting 4 of his 5 sacks in one game against Id St. Last year was a little better while he only had 4 sacks, he did also have 5 hurries. He also raised his total tackles from 24 to 37. We must also remember he played as a true Fr. Wags redshirted his Fr year so his breakout year was the equivalent of Holmes's upcoming Jr year. Not sayin' everyone should redshirt, I'm just sayin...

Holmes was just too good to redshirt and the team had a big need for him 2 years ago, but you're right he needs to step up with his stats this year.

BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Holmes was just too good to redshirt and the team had a big need for him 2 years ago, but you're right he needs to step up with his stats this year.
I'm pretty confident he will. With all the attention Wags will b getting, Takai and Kidder (agreed on the next #37 unless Wags wants to keep it in Msla and give it to Peevey) in the middle, and the added speed of our backers, it's gonna be very hard for defenses to keep Holmes contained too.

Also to clarify, I agree Holmes needed play and for the most part was ready. I DO think most kids should RS but their is always a couple who should be playing right away. This years class might see Thomas at LB, Reese at OL and possibly one of our walk on FB's. I also thought we wasted JJ's Fr year and should have RS'ed him until he needed it later.

I told my wife I would take the summer off...but I can't stop laughing at the pipe puffing going on here with this one... :egriz: :lol:

alabamagrizzly said:
. I also thought we wasted JJ's Fr year and should have RS'ed him until he needed it later.

At the time yeah but in hindsight he would have been a senior last year if that were the case and we'd be talking about Smithwick-Hann, Gustafson, or Simis as the starter for this season.

BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:
. I also thought we wasted JJ's Fr year and should have RS'ed him until he needed it later.

At the time yeah but in hindsight he would have been a senior last year if that were the case and we'd be talking about Smithwick-Hann, Gustafson, or Simis as the starter for this season.
Agreed. I am far happier we are talking about JJ this year. :thumb: :clap:

I am also not too worried about next year when talking about Gus or Simis.

Yep, I'm thinking it's Gus at this point. Will be interesting to see, he's going to have a pretty good WR corps, some new running backs, and another O line that'll have some new guys probably.

I thought Crittenden had the better year than Holmes last year. Was better against the run and had the better motor. Holmes needs to improve there and hopefully is spending his life in the weight room right now.

There will be more focus from opposing teams on Wags this year. I'm not sure if he'll have the monster number people are expecting because of that reason. Hopefully, people won't judge him by just his sack numbers, because that would be unfair.

I like Kidder as a candidate for team MVP this year and think he'll have a chance as a 3-4 DE NFL prospect in the future.

BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

J J would still be a senior this year if he had redshirted his true freshman year . The only reason he's still here is the rape charges .

catsack said:
BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

J J would still be a senior this year if he had redshirted his true freshman year . The only reason he's still here is the rape charges .
Correct. He also could have done like Jimmy Wilson and applied for an extra year cus of the trial going on. Oh we'll, what ifs and mabeys.

Sam A. Blitz said:
I thought Crittenden had the better year than Holmes last year. Was better against the run and had the better motor. Holmes needs to improve there and hopefully is spending his life in the weight room right now.

There will be more focus from opposing teams on Wags this year. I'm not sure if he'll have the monster number people are expecting because of that reason. Hopefully, people won't judge him by just his sack numbers, because that would be unfair.

I like Kidder as a candidate for team MVP this year and think he'll have a chance as a 3-4 DE NFL prospect in the future.

Interesting because in some sense I do agree, Crittenden showed a much more well-rounded game than Holmes did. I think Holmes showed he was the better pure pass rusher, but that's only half the job on the D-line.

I'm very excited to see what a healthy and now experienced Caleb Kidder will do. With the skill and athleticism of Wags, Holmes, and Kidder it'll be real interesting to see if Legi and Ty have some different looks on the defensive front this year.

Back