• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Shaw named to 2014 FCS Punter Award Watch List by CFPA

go96griz

Didn't see this posted anywhere and nice to give some props to our punter:

http://www.gogriz.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/071614aad.html

Shaw named to 2014 FCS Punter Award Watch List by CFPA

Junior & two-year starter was seventh in the nation a year ago averaging 43.9 yards per attempt

Stephen Shaw

July 16, 2014

CHARLESTON, S.C. - The University of Montana's Stephen Shaw has earned a spot on the 2014 Football Championship Subdivision CFPA Punter Award Watch List, as announced by College Football Performance Awards today (Wednesday, July 16).

The initial watch list includes 38 returning performers, vying for the top punter award in the FCS. All players are eligible for awards at their respective positions; players are not preemptively eliminated from consideration.

A 6-3, 245-pound junior from Boise, Idaho, last season Shaw was ranked fifth in the Big Sky Conference and seventh in the FCS, averaging 43.9 yards on 49 punts. He was an honorable mention all-league selection for the second year in a row.

Shaw has been one of the premier punters in the FCS the past two seasons. He currently averages 42.81 yards per punt, which would surpass Montana's career record for average yards per attempt (42.56, Mike Rice, 1985-86). Thus far in his career he has 23 punts of 50 or more yards, and 38 inside the opponents' 20-yard line.

Shaw is one of seven Grizzly players named to the CFPA's 2014 watch list. Earlier this summer wide receivers Ellis Henderson and Jamaal Jones, along with senior defensive end Zack Wagenmann, senior free safety Matt Hermanson, senior quarterback Jordan Johnson, and senior running back Jordan Canada were placed on the list at their respective positions.

The CFPA is now entering its seventh season of recognition. The CFPA's player and team performance index ranks success in all three phases of the game -- offense, defense, and special teams.

Two Montana stars have earned CFPA honors in the past, linebacker Jordan Tripp last season and cornerback Trumaine Johnson in 2012. The CFPA's 2014 Trophy winner and former South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney was the first overall selection in the 2014 NFL Draft. Twenty-eight CFPA winners have been first-round NFL Draft selections.
The complete list of 2014 CFPA winners will be announced January 14, 2015.

You clowns would rather have 7 threads on EWU and chase whatever BS AG1 is spewing, but ignore something of real value. This post is important. Of all the times the word envy is thrown around on forums, this time I will tell you that I wish Shaw played for the Cats.

ABQCat said:
You clowns would rather have 7 threads on EWU and chase whatever BS AG1 is spewing, but ignore something of real value. This post is important. Of all the times the word envy is thrown around on forums, this time I will tell you that I wish Shaw played for the Cats.

Even the cat fan gets it.

This does not surprise me at all. He is a great punter. I like his chances to be invited to a NFL after his SR year. Wow, we have a lot of players nominated for these awards at many positions.

It shows the experts feel the GRIZ have the talent. The ? is, Do the GRIZ have the coaching? I pray for a resounding "Hell YEAH" when this season wraps up with a long playoff run.

Two unrelated and perhaps irrelevant points (most of my posts follow those themes).

1. Shaw's tackle on Daly after the blocked punt in last year's Cat/Griz was huge and an under rated moment. There was a convoy of Cats around the ball and only Shaw to make the tackle which he did despite getting blocked initially. The value of a 260 punter.

2. Nice to see Mike Rice getting a bit of a shout out. Rice was at the U of M back in my day and talk about a talent! Got drafted by the Jets and was a hell of a player on some very weak/misguided Griz teams. For those of you egrizers who have it in for Coach Delaney, you would have 'loved' Coach Donavon.

That's great! I agree, I hope his stats suck this year and he rides the pine a ton for lack of needing him. Can he kick FG's too? Seemed like a weak point last season.

Go Griz!

I have said before that Shaw is a huge asset and doesn't get enough cred. Even a great offense has to punt now and then and flipping the field like he has done is huge. Now- if only our kicker(s) can pan out this year... I hope when the scholly situation expires we can recruit a top flight kicker again. It's too many points to leave on the table when the offense can't count on 40-45 yard FGs.

Back