• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McSurdy Cut from Rams

NorthwestFresh

I'm surprised. If Jeff Fisher doesn't think he can play, is it over for Caleb in the NFL? :(

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1852422/caleb-mcsurdy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NorthwestFresh said:
I'm surprised. If Jeff Fisher doesn't think he can play, is it over for Caleb in the NFL? :(

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1852422/caleb-mcsurdy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think people need to get off the Fisher favors Montana players train of thought... It is likely that he'll get opportunities to be on a camp roster elsewhere. Saying that, I'm not sure if he has the ability to play LB in the NFL. He's a great player with great strength and toughness, but the speed and range really isn't there. Was never a great cover guy in college and you have to be able to cover in the pass happy NFL, even at ILB.

Here's hoping he lands on his feet somewhere else. And if football is no longer in the cards he finds fun and meaning in something else.

Sam A. Blitz said:
NorthwestFresh said:

I think people need to get off the Fisher favors Montana players train of thought... It is likely that he'll get opportunities to be on a camp roster elsewhere. Saying that, I'm not sure if he has the ability to play LB in the NFL. He's a great player with great strength and toughness, but the speed and range really isn't there. Was never a great cover guy in college and you have to be able to cover in the pass happy NFL, even at ILB.

Not an easy injury to fully recover from either. In addition, his speed may have suffered.

CV Griz Fan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
NorthwestFresh said:

Not an easy injury to fully recover from either. In addition, his speed may have suffered.

Exactly CV. Leg injuries almost all the time will slow you down once they are healed. That sharp cut to the side, or quick burst forward may be completely lost after an achilles injury. I believe this is what has happened to Caleb. Now I am hoping that the same issue doesn't effect Kroy B. in Atlanta, or Marc M. in Tennessee. However Marc's injury was a severe break, not a tear. I think Caleb may best be suited now for the CFL if he wants to continue his pursuit of football, and perhaps, he may not be able to play there either. God Speed to the young man in all future endeavours!

From both data and personal experience it is often much easier to come back from broken bones (Mariani) than it is from connective tissue injuries including ACL's (McSurdy).

Silvertip said:
From both data and personal experience it is often much easier to come back from broken bones (Mariani) than it is from connective tissue injuries including ACL's (McSurdy).
McSurdy's injury was an achilles, not an ACL.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders are being shredded in the early going of the CFL season. McSurdy has got to be better than what we have here, though this is a league where you have to be able to run. MLB's don't drop and cover as much up here they seem to be run stoppers primarily.

reinell30 said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
NorthwestFresh said:

Exactly CV. Leg injuries almost all the time will slow you down once they are healed. That sharp cut to the side, or quick burst forward may be completely lost after an achilles injury. I believe this is what has happened to Caleb. Now I am hoping that the same issue doesn't effect Kroy B. in Atlanta, or Marc M. in Tennessee. However Marc's injury was a severe break, not a tear. I think Caleb may best be suited now for the CFL if he wants to continue his pursuit of football, and perhaps, he may not be able to play there either. God Speed to the young man in all future endeavours!

Always thought Lex lost an explosive step after the Achilles. His NFL career was limited because of it (imho).

Im not sure Caleb ever had the lateral speed to play LB in the NFL. I would love to see him get a shot in Canada. Still beats the hell out of a real 9-5 job. probably pays better too.

Back