• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Appreciation

BornGrizz

I am very excited for this upcoming season not because of our chances at a championship run or because of new talent, but because I actually get to see a game in the Wa-Griz. Most of you get to see games whenever you want, but for those of us who are out of state, we don't have the luxury of choosing not to see the game live. We don't have a choice.

Further still, I tend to believe you lose that lovin' feelin' if you can't make any games. You know, that feeling you get during pre-game when the boys are warming up on the field, people are walking around in the stadium with the sun shining out of a brilliant blue sky. Debaucherous noises and hungry smells coming from the tailgate, dance teamers and cheerleaders in their warmups, the flags lazily floating in the small breeze. We out-of-state get none of that and we forget what its like the longer we can't enjoy it.

Now, I and my wife have finally achieved what any out-of-state Grizzer wants: the ability to live in Montana while having the ability to pay the bills. We finally get to choose to see the boys, or watch the game in a great bar, or watch it at home. It feels amazing to have that choice and I plan to choose seeing the good guys many, many times in the best stadium in the FCS.

During my stay away, I was in the championship town of Fargo. But it ain't the same. There's a wildness about Wa-Griz that the Bizon just don't understand. I think part of it is the open stadium, but another part is Montana mountains, rivers and people. I think most of you understand what I'm talking about, and I just want to say my wife and I are privileged to call ourselves Griz fans for life!!! Here's to the memories.

Congrats on the relocation! Someday we too hope to get back home, but for now we gladly make the trek from Washington....a slightly shorter trip than Fargo.

I can relate. I moved to Alabama in Aug of 2010 and we havnt been able to come home for a Griz game yet. I mabey missed 15 home games in Wa Griz since the grand opening before that. Since we've been down here I have seen them at Tenn and at App St and we will be going to Lynchburg Va next year and Lake Charles La the following year.

Not sur I agree on loosing the love though. I can still remember with crystal clarity watching Sambrano catch the game winning TD from about 15 rows away (yes, I did sit in the south end zone but I garentee I was the loudest one there. The several cold stares I got from all the south end zone church mice could testify to that). Watching Chase run up and down that snow covered feild is something eles I never forget. To this day, if I have to work during the games, at kick off I will be singing "Bring em' Out" and the Grizzly fight song.

We had finally planned on coming home this year for a game but a Maui trip took presidence. That was also where I was for the Villinova Nat Champ loss for our honeymoon. I did get to watch about 5 mins of it on tv where I just happened to see one of the greatest catches ever.

http://youtu.be/6ssfh9fk_TE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the replys all. I feel your pain Alabama but those games you did see are pretty epic. I bet you get to see some pretty great football down there if you want to. Doesn't Alabama have a pretty good program? :lol: Isn't there a pretty good conference in that neck of the woods? :D

I feel so lucky to say this: I'll make as many games as possible for you and all the rest of those who can't attend!

alabamagrizzly said:
I can relate. I moved to Alabama in Aug of 2010 and we havnt been able to come home for a Griz game yet. I mabey missed 15 home games in Wa Griz since the grand opening before that. Since we've been down here I have seen them at Tenn and at App St and we will be going to Lynchburg Va next year and Lake Charles La the following year.

Who are we playing in Lynchburg?

BornGrizz said:
Thanks for the replys all. I feel your pain Alabama but those games you did see are pretty epic. I bet you get to see some pretty great football down there if you want to. Doesn't Alabama have a pretty good program? :lol: Isn't there a pretty good conference in that neck of the woods? :D

I feel so lucky to say this: I'll make as many games as possible for you and all the rest of those who can't attend!
They play football down here? Hm, I didn't even notice. Seriously though I get now what it might be like for an outsider to move to Missoula. These people down here know nothing but Alabama and Auburn football. Nothing eles. No basketball, baseball, hockey, or even NFL for that matter. It gets a bit lonely sometimes.

Hate to admit it, but my passion for GRIZ Football and Basketball were part of why I wanted to move back closer to Missoula. When I 1st moved to Denver, I was stoked for athletics. Over time though, it just did not compare to what we have in GRIZ NATION. Denver has all the professional sports, CU, CSU, U of Denver, Air Force all within 100 miles. Granted, I love seeing higher level of play and athletes now and then, but it never came close to experiencing GRIZ athletics in person. The football environment was great for the Denver Broncos. Collegiately, the atmosphere stunk.

Collegiately, I have only been in one area that even compared to GRIZ NATION, but on a larger scale nationally. That is Nebraska football.

What GRIZ NATION has is truly special, and I am so proud and happy to be part of my GRIZ NATION family. That includes even the worst of egrizzers who are GRIZ fans.

mtgrizrule said:
Hate to admit it, but my passion for GRIZ Football and Basketball were part of why I wanted to move back closer to Missoula. When I 1st moved to Denver, I was stoked for athletics. Over time though, it just did not compare to what we have in GRIZ NATION. Denver has all the professional sports, CU, CSU, U of Denver, Air Force all within 100 miles. Granted, I love seeing higher level of play and athletes now and then, but it never came close to experiencing GRIZ athletics in person. The football environment was great for the Denver Broncos. Collegiately, the atmosphere stunk.

Collegiately, I have only been in one area that even compared to GRIZ NATION, but on a larger scale nationally. That is Nebraska football.

What GRIZ NATION has is truly special, and I am so proud and happy to be part of my GRIZ NATION family. That includes even the worst of egrizzers who are GRIZ fans.

Spot on mtg! :thumb:

Glad you were able to get back and hope it's what you are looking for. For us when we did it, it was not the same sadly. I remember MT as a young kid and early 20's. It was fun getting back in to WA Griz and seeing a game.

I live in Corvallis and enjoy going to the Beav games! I think for the most part it's pretty exciting and a fun atmosphere.

Best of luck!!

BornGrizz said:
I am very excited for this upcoming season not because of our chances at a championship run or because of new talent, but because I actually get to see a game in the Wa-Griz. Most of you get to see games whenever you want, but for those of us who are out of state, we don't have the luxury of choosing not to see the game live. We don't have a choice.

Further still, I tend to believe you lose that lovin' feelin' if you can't make any games. You know, that feeling you get during pre-game when the boys are warming up on the field, people are walking around in the stadium with the sun shining out of a brilliant blue sky. Debaucherous noises and hungry smells coming from the tailgate, dance teamers and cheerleaders in their warmups, the flags lazily floating in the small breeze. We out-of-state get none of that and we forget what its like the longer we can't enjoy it.

Now, I and my wife have finally achieved what any out-of-state Grizzer wants: the ability to live in Montana while having the ability to pay the bills. We finally get to choose to see the boys, or watch the game in a great bar, or watch it at home. It feels amazing to have that choice and I plan to choose seeing the good guys many, many times in the best stadium in the FCS.

During my stay away, I was in the championship town of Fargo. But it ain't the same. There's a wildness about Wa-Griz that the Bizon just don't understand. I think part of it is the open stadium, but another part is Montana mountains, rivers and people. I think most of you understand what I'm talking about, and I just want to say my wife and I are privileged to call ourselves Griz fans for life!!! Here's to the memories.

Awesome post!! :clap: I think too many of us who have the privilege of enjoying every Griz home game have gotten spoiled and take it for granted. I know I do. Coming from a guy who hasn't missed a home game since 2004 (due to conflicts with sons HS football games) I can't even imagine being away from Wa Griz for a Griz game. We can bitch about Mo, kiss cam, virtual sandwich eating contests all we want, all it does is show how spoiled we have become as a fanbase. We have a pretty special thing going here, we should bitch less and appreciate it more.

OrgonGriz said:
Glad you were able to get back and hope it's what you are looking for. For us when we did it, it was not the same sadly. I remember MT as a young kid and early 20's. It was fun getting back in to WA Griz and seeing a game.

I live in Corvallis and enjoy going to the Beav games! I think for the most part it's pretty exciting and a fun atmosphere.

Best of luck!!

My wife and I lived there for a time. Great area. Football was over during those few months we were there but it looked like it would have been awesome to see games in both Corvallis and Autzen. I think Portland is my favorite big city but those things scare this country boy.

Hammer said:
BornGrizz said:

Awesome post!! :clap: I think too many of us who have the privilege of enjoying every Griz home game have gotten spoiled and take it for granted. I know I do. Coming from a guy who hasn't missed a home game since 2004 (due to conflicts with sons HS football games) I can't even imagine being away from Wa Griz for a Griz game. We can bitch about Mo, kiss cam, virtual sandwich eating contests all we want, all it does is show how spoiled we have become as a fanbase. We have a pretty special thing going here, we should bitch less and appreciate it more.

You said it Hammer. I got to see the stadium about a month ago and I got a little emotional. It's so much more than a place where people go to watch a team play a game. I think we all forget that, me included, so I just like to remind myself how lucky we all are.

OrgonGriz said:

Best of luck!!

Spokane is where I am at now. Still working on getting back to Kalispell or Missoula (preferably).
Hey, I really want to get down to Corvallis for some basketball games, now that Tinkle is coaching OSU. How about it sometime? Who knows, maybe I can line up some good tickets through Wayne there.

BornGrizz said:

Congrats on moving back home, BornGriz. I do have a few questions regarding fandom, however..... how long were you in Fargo? Sounds like you watched a few NDSU football games in person. Apparently, you missed quite a few home games (regular season and playoffs) .....a few come to mind....Georgia Southern game in 2012, the UNI game in '13, et al........I was in attendance at the Dome during these games and they were "wild"......when you mention the "wildness" of WaGriz, are you referring to the drunken debauchery of the tailgate or the crazy "wildness" of the fandom during games ? Man, it does get loud in the Dome as Griz fans will soon find out.

Lakerhater said:
BornGrizz said:

Congrats on moving back home, BornGriz. I do have a few questions regarding fandom, however..... how long were you in Fargo? Sounds like you watched a few NDSU football games in person. Apparently, you missed quite a few home games (regular season and playoffs) .....a few come on mind....Georgia Southern game in 2012, the UNI game in '13, et al........I was in attendance at the Dome during these games and they were "wild"......when you mention the "wildness" of WaGriz, are you referring to the drunken debauchery of the tailgate or the crazy "wildness" of the fandom during games ? Man, it does get loud in the Dome as Griz fans will soon find out.

Check out the 2009 semifinal vs App St for a prime example of what I believe BornGriz is referring too. None of the Bizon playoff games I've watched on TV look even close to the same type of environment. I'm sure the Fargodome can be wild (and loud too, it's a F**king dome) ;) but I doubt they ever could compare to the gameday atmosphere at Wa-Griz, especially playing in a blizzard on national TV against the other 3 time defending champs.

mtgrizrule said:
OrgonGriz said:

Best of luck!!

Spokane is where I am at now. Still working on getting back to Kalispell or Missoula (preferably).
Hey, I really want to get down to Corvallis for some basketball games, now that Tinkle is coaching OSU. How about it sometime? Who knows, maybe I can line up some good tickets through Wayne there.

Missoula, Denver, Omaha, Spokane :?: Sounds like you're in witness protection program...

Silvertip said:
mtgrizrule said:
OrgonGriz said:

Best of luck!!

Missoula, Denver, Omaha, Spokane :?: Sounds like you're in witness protection program...

Not quite, but that is not a bad idea. :thumb:

Own a home in the Denver area. That will be a tie for me there until the market picks up again for sellers. Omaha, what can I say, "I got suckered into moving for a woman." I'm sure you can figure out rest of the story on that. On the bright side it took that for me to realize how damn much I miss this region for many reasons.

Back