• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The positive side of the O-line issues

BWahlberg

DONOR
Starters:

Thiebes - Soph
Hines - Sr
Hines - Sr
Weyer - Soph
Dietrich - Soph

Backups:

LaRowe - Soph
Todd - Soph
Luke - Frosh
Kelly - Soph
Reese - Frosh

If these guys get it - go through the trials by fire and come together and mold into a KICK ASS unit of linemen for this team - we've got 2-3 years of solid, experienced, and damn good lineman ready to roll.

I think we'll be ok but I still have to post this Brint. You understand.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIB9Y4OFPs[/youtube]

snap said:
I think we'll be ok but I still have to post this Brint. You understand.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIB9Y4OFPs[/youtube]

It's your duty - I get it. :thumb:

I agree, the future is very bright on the OL, but our best QB in a very long time is a senior this year!

Hammer said:
I agree, the future is very bright on the OL, but our best QB in a very long time is a senior this year!
Yes but just like the O line is doing this year, next a good QB will begin working on a great Gizzly career, no matter which one it is.

BWahlberg said:
Starters:

Thiebes - Soph
Hines - Sr
Hines - Sr
Weyer - Soph
Dietrich - Soph

Backups:

LaRowe - Soph
Todd - Soph
Luke - Frosh
Kelly - Soph
Reese - Frosh

If these guys get it - go through the trials by fire and come together and mold into a KICK ASS unit of linemen for this team - we've got 2-3 years of solid, experienced, and damn good lineman ready to roll.

I get this...I guess im disappointed with the sophs.......are not most of these kids red shirt sophomores ?.....they should be pretty darn good NOW imo...did we miss on a couple of them ?...if your jj, it is difficult to throw from your back, just saying.....I hope all of them will step up and play well and surprise me...go griz!

BWahlberg said:
Starters:

Thiebes - Soph
Hines - Sr
Hines - Sr
Weyer - Soph
Dietrich - Soph

Backups:

LaRowe - Soph
Todd - Soph
Luke - Frosh
Kelly - Soph
Reese - Frosh

that will be just neato-keano in a couple of years after JJ is gone.

Looks like there was a major lack of recruiting of linemen about 3 years ago. 2 seniors and no juniors...those seem like awesome recruiting numbers on what makes up 5/11 of your offense. 2...2 linemen, that is just plain shitty recruiting.

dupuyer griz said:
Looks like there was a major lack of recruiting of linemen about 3 years ago. 2 seniors and no juniors...those seem like awesome recruiting numbers on what makes up 5/11 of your offense. 2...2 linemen, that is just plain shitty recruiting.

3 years ago we brought in Todd, Kelly, LaRowe, Weyer, and Dietrich as well has Rokich walk on. They're all RS Sophs except Rokich who I think went on to grey shirt.

The Griz have lost linemen who could have added seniority and depth to this class had they worked out. Liccardi and Kalekani would be the missing links here and Schmaing, of course. They didn't work out, but it just goes to show it doesn't take much.
That said, the coaches knew Schmaing wasn't a sure bet by the end of spring semester if not by mid semester. Poole's injury predates camp. The coaches didn't rush out and sign a transfer OT. I doubt it was because they thought things would gel in 2015, given that bad decisions aren't good for job security.
The trouble with light young linemen is that maintaining weight during season is tough and gaining weight is even tougher.

Just 4 weeks ago it was looking like this o line was going to start 3 seniors, 1 junior, and 1 RS soph. They couldn't have predicted Poole's back issues or planned any further out than they did for Schmaing's academic issues.

griz4life said:
The Griz have lost linemen who could have added seniority and depth to this class had they worked out. Liccardi and Kalekani would be the missing links here and Schmaing, of course. They didn't work out, but it just goes to show it doesn't take much.
That said, the coaches knew Schmaing wasn't a sure bet by the end of spring semester if not by mid semester. Poole's injury predates camp. The coaches didn't rush out and sign a transfer OT. I doubt it was because they thought things would gel in 2015, given that bad decisions aren't good for job security.
The trouble with light young linemen is that maintaining weight during season is tough and gaining weight is even tougher.
I doubt any of these kids have much experience playing at 7200' elevation. The depth chart will be tested next weekend.

Hit up some JUCOs and invite some freshmen walk-ons! Lakes' Gerald Goldwire ('13) and O'Ryan Ethington ('13) are solid students and available. :thumb:

Ken Jones said:
Hit up some JUCOs!

That was done too, Thiebes and there's another juco tackle on the roster too. Technically both the Hines kids are juco kids as well, but they've been here 4 years now.

BWahlberg said:
Starters:

Thiebes - Soph
Hines - Sr
Hines - Sr
Weyer - Soph
Dietrich - Soph

Backups:

LaRowe - Soph
Todd - Soph
Luke - Frosh
Kelly - Soph
Reese - Frosh

I really like Todd ad Reese. I have a feeling Reese will have one great GRIZ career. :thumb:

Back