• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tell me what you would have done differently with the O-line

BWahlberg

DONOR
I've read and seen lots of hand-wringing and much gnashing of teeth over the starting Oline. Personally I think egrizzers are setting the bar so low they may be surprised by this group. I don't know if that's equate right out of the gate vs Wyoming but I see this group having potential to come together over the month of September and mold into a solid group. It'll take improvement and a lot of work but I have hope in these guys.

What I'm reading is that this is "the worst" O-line we've ever had. Bold prediction considering these guys haven't played a single game yet. It is FOR SURE the most inexperienced group with just the Hines brothers and Weyer having meaningful time playing before this season.

What I'm also reading is that this is the coaches/recruiters "fault" because they didn't prepare for this enough. That's a head-scratcher to me. With the graduation of Kistler, Poehls, and Oiland the staff planned for Schmaing and Poole to return with Weyer and the Hines brothers ready to step in, the projected O-line would've had 3 seniors, 1 junior, and 1 sophomore - with only 1 player (Jordan Hines) lacking much time at all playing guard the season before. The O-line was looking fairly solid with upper-class leadership and in-game experience. Then Poole's back goes out and Schmaing's declared academically inelligble - all are realized during or right before fall camp.

So tell me, what more should have been done? I've read on here that the coaches should've recruited better 3 years ago to better prepare for this. The thing is... they did. 3 years ago we brought in 6 linemen, Dietrich, Todd, LaRowe, Kelly, Weyer, and Rokich - all of whom are on the roster and 2 who will start (Dietrich and Weyer) and a 3rd will rotate a ton (Todd). I think Rokich was a grey-shirt that year technically.

Looking back at the recruiting history that would apply to this O-line:

2010:

Logan Hines - redshirted, now a starter
Jordan Hines - redshirted, now a starter
Trevor Poole - Retiring (?) due to a bad back, would've been a starter

2011:

Joe Dahl - transferred to Wazzu after 1 year
Samson Kalekini - Quit football this year, almost quit the year before as well
Christian Liccardi - Left the team, transferred and I think now plays basketball
John Schmaing - Would've been starting if not for bad grades

2012:

McCauley Todd: #1 backup at both guard spots
Ben Weyer: starter at guard
Devon Dietrich: starter at RT
Clint LaRowe: backup at T
Max Kelly: backup at T

2013:

Cameron Rokich: backup at T

2014:

Jackson Thiebes, starter at LT, came in as a TE transfer but impressed at LT in spring ball
Jared Clark, transfer, currently a backup at T
David Reese, freshman but could play at T
Robert Luke, backup at Center

-----------

The team has brought in a ton of guys, including two transfers and one solid landing in Luke of a late-signing. In 2012 they really boosted the roster with the addition of 5 players in anticipation that they'd become contributors in 2014 and 2015 - which they are going to be doing.

So tell me, wise ones of egriz - what would you have done differently?

I'm not saying we're in a great or even a good situation - that will shake out as the games are played. I'm as nervous as everyone about this mostly untested OL as well. But unlike others, I'm hopeful. What I just don't get is this "the coaches/recruiters" dropped the ball argument. Unless if the coaches had a crystal ball and could forsee some of the issues with their planned senior leaders, I find it hard to shoulder them with "blame" for the formation of our starting 5.

Sure they are going to have their ups and downs as a group but as long as they continue to improve from week to week, that's all a guy can ask for..

:cool:

I would have between 5-7 starters returning each year on the o-line. I would bring in 1 or 2 drop downs like JD Quinn each year, i.e. someone who had started at a top 25 FBS program.

People complained about last year's o-line, which had 3 guys signed by the NFL and 2 still on NFL rosters. One was first team all-conference and all-american, I believe. Because of the bad-line last year, UM was only 14th in the nation in scoring and 15th in the nation in total offense.

grizcountry420 said:
Sure they are going to have their ups and downs as a group but as long as they continue to improve from week to week, that's all a guy can ask for..

:thumb:

Bingo - weekly improvement is going to be the name of the game. I kind of wish we were opening with Central Washington instead of Wyo now because it could help ease these guys into the season. But it is what it is, this'll be a massive test for this line right out of the gate.

Maybe the taller of our co-offensive coordinators should have more OL experience.

With 5 receivers either out or questionable, maybe concern should be redirected there.

Maybe Wyoming has not escaped fall camp without some surprises as well....

PlayerRep said:
I would have between 5-7 starters returning each year on the o-line. I would bring in 1 or 2 drop downs like JD Quinn each year, i.e. someone who had started at a top 25 FBS program.

People complained about last year's o-line, which had 3 guys signed by the NFL and 2 still on NFL rosters. One was first team all-conference and all-american, I believe. Because of the bad-line last year, UM was only 14th in the nation in scoring and 15th in the nation in total offense.

7 returning starters on the o-line every year huh...

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he? :lol:

Its quite simple. Starting around 2010 the O-line recruiting should have been focused on a little something we around here call DOLA. The Griz O-line used to kick ass and take names. Now, not so much. As for guys that quit or get injured, that happens just about every year in just about every program. DOLA is MIA and needs to be rediscovered in a hurry.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

I think PR is attempting to be a wise-guy. I got a kick out of it.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

I think PR is attempting to be a wise-guy. I got a kick out of it.

I don't think PR is that clever

Actaully, Christian Licciardi is once again a Grizzly...

At Adams State - http://www.asugrizzlies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1129&path=football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

headshot_2_Licciardi,%20Christian.jpg

Perhaps the one instance the coaches had total control over, sounded like he took the fall for someone else and was the "victim" of the hyper-vigilant environment at the time.

I also think most will be surprised by this O-Line, we have been spoiled with massive O-lines throughout the years. Having a more agile line with a bunch of 270 pounders sometimes isn't bad, but a good thing. Hopefully more conditioned for the 4th quarter. I think I'm more concerned with our receiver position with Henderson out for who knows how long.

If you look at the schedule we should expect this young o-line to get us to be 4-2 by the time October comes around. That's not bad, probably expected even without the losses we've had. We should be able to beat South Dakota, Northern Colo, and North Dakota with a poor O-line(not saying they will be poor). By that point, 6 games into the season, they should have an understanding and be gelling together for the final 6 games.

The line makes up 5/22 of your team not counting special teams. I would hope that we would try to bring in enough to have that group fill spots. i.e. at least 5 per year
10-3 (2)
11-4 (0)
12-5 (5)
13-1 (1)
14-4 (4)
If you look at what has left or retired we average 2.4 per year and we don't know how these are all going to stack out yet. I just think it is too important of a position to miss out on. You can go a year and miss any position, but you have to fill it out. If we don't get a TE this year we'll make it, but we have to get at least 3-4 who (can) at some point start. If we are doing a zone blocking scheme it is fine to have these smaller faster linemen, but the pro set is based on power running and I just don't think our linemen are going to manage enough. Can they do good? Yes. Will they? That remains to be seen. I have never said our line will be awful, I just don't think we've done a good job of recruiting the beef and the character to stick it out. Can this be fixed...yes it can. I hope the transfers fit well and we line out ok, but I'm not sold it will be ok yet.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Its quite simple. Starting around 2010 the O-line recruiting should have been focused on a little something we around here call DOLA.

I honestly don't understand what this means, Dan. First of all, the coaches weren't here in 2010. Second, what does it mean, in behavioral terms, to "focus on...DOLA?"

BWahlberg said:
grizcountry420 said:

:thumb:

Bingo - weekly improvement is going to be the name of the game. I kind of wish we were opening with Central Washington instead of Wyo now because it could help ease these guys into the season. But it is what it is, this'll be a massive test for this line right out of the gate.

I too appreciate your optimism and agree 100%...I only hope JJ and Jordan Canada can survive until the O-Line reaches their potential!

Since you mentioned DOLA . . .

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/grizzlies-o-line-starting-to-click/article_1a09b33a-ba18-11de-a243-001cc4c002e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We did make a few adjustments offensive line-wise," said right tackle Chris Dyk, whose line will try to open up holes Saturday against Eastern Washington and its stout front seven. "Just player-to-player adjustments. There were a couple different instances where we saw something in the defense and just adjusted on the spot. "It seemed to work out well. The first half not so much, but the second half we started doing a little bit better." The second half they went all "DOLA" - the acronym (for Dominant Offensive Line Attitude) that resurfaced on Saturday on a T-shirt worn by tackle Levi Horn. "DOLA is actually really old - 1995, probably earlier," said Dyk. "It's a style of play. You can't believe that the guy across from you is better than you, and you just try to kick his butt every play."

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?t=64255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I think of DOLA, here's what comes to mind, JD Quinn, Levi Horn, and Jon Opperud. Mean SOB's that flat out destroyed and dominated the line of scrimmage. They punished the defensive line, and then the linebackers, and then the secondary. They left guys flat on their backs, gasping for air. They got personal fouls. They protected their teammates. Nobody wanted to mess with these guys, defenders were afraid of them and they made damn sure to keep it that way. I can think of JD Quinn driving a defender into his own bench, Jon Opperud pointing to the MONTANA on his chest in the direction of the opposing team, and Levi Horn de-cleating defenders even a half-second after the whistle has blown. Colin Dow once darn near broke the hand of a fellow egrizzer when he squeezed it so hard after finding out that egrizzer is a moderator here (Mr. Titleist). The Montana Grizzlies had an offensive line that was mean and feared around the league. It did them well in the running game.

Back