• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stay Classy, EWU Fans...

get'em_griz

DONOR
http://m.itemonline.com/sports/article_8c98bfb2-2c1a-11e4-94f5-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Sam Houston State football team walked off Roos Field in deflated fashion Saturday after getting reamed by head coach K.C. Keeler for committing 16 penalties in its 56-35 loss to Eastern Washington.

But the Bearkats had to overcome a lot more than just themselves. They had to overcome a disorganized environment that nearly snowballed into an all-out brawl.

While exiting the field, Sam Houston players and coaches were forced to walk through a slew of fans, some of whom consumed copious amounts of alcohol in the parking lot before the game and in the stadium during it.

As the Bearkats attempted to weave their way through traffic and make their way to the locker room, Eastern Washington fans relentlessly taunted Sam Houston players and coaches. There were no barricades to stop drunk fans from physically assaulting Bearkats players and coaches, and the two police officers who cared enough to step in and deter Eagles fans from starting trouble were hardly enough to prevent any conflicts.

And there were conflicts.

After the game, Keeler and strength coach Brian Hess had to separate several Bearkats’ players and coaches from fans attempting to start a fight.

There’s no question that Sam Houston players and coaches should have known better than to engage with fans after the game. It’s hard to blame Eastern Washington fans as well, because when given a unique opportunity to interact with an opposing team’s players after winning a heated rivalry game, it’s only human nature to rub it in. Alcohol only adds fuel to the fire.

But Eastern Washington’s athletic department should have known better. Nearly every other collegiate athletic department in the nation has already figured out that it’s a bad idea to allow an army of inebriated fans unimpeded paths to opposing players after a game. I have no idea how Eastern Washington athletics is so far behind the times. Perhaps the issue never crossed their mind.

The Eastern Washington athletic department knew the game was a sellout. They knew there would be drunk fans walking through Sam Houston’s path to the locker room after the game. They didn’t know if any of those fans had snuck in a weapon. They had no idea how the circumstances would play out, and were willing to risk the safety of their own fans, as well as Bearkats’ players and coaches just because they didn’t care enough to organize a secure exit path from the field. It wouldn’t have required much effort, and could have avoided a potentially dangerous situation.

If there are no other areas for the visiting team to dress, then at least put up a rope of some sort to guide the players back and put several police officers there to ensure the safety of all parties involved. Neither of those things happened Saturday.

This situation was completely avoidable, and it shocks me that a top-ranked program could be so ill prepared to provide adequate security accommodations for a game of Saturday’s magnitude. They had months to prepare.

Regardless, the Bearkats didn’t lose because of the questionable security Eastern Washington’s athletic department provided them after the game. Sam Houston lost because a better team beat them.

That doesn’t mean they were beat by a more talented team. The Bearkats were as big, fast and athletic as Eastern Washington. Sam Houston may not have had a player as talented as All-American quarterback Vernon Adams Jr., but the Bearkats effectively showcased how versatile their offense was and the defense showed flashes of how good it can be.

They just couldn’t keep their poise for four quarters. Eastern Washington did, and that’s why it emerged with a hard fought and well earned victory.

However, asking Sam Houston’s new coaching staff to install a new offense with a new starting quarterback, integrate a plethora of transfers with returning players and travel to a play a program that was unprepared to control the environment in its own stadium was asking too much.

Sam Houston State has a long way to go if it wants to make the playoffs and make a push for a national title. Unless this team figures out a way to play with more discipline, then this season will likely end in disappointing fashion. If it learns from Saturday and cuts down on mental errors in future weeks, there’s no telling how far it can go.

get'em_griz said:
But Eastern Washington’s athletic department should have known better. Nearly every other collegiate athletic department in the nation has already figured out that it’s a bad idea to allow an army of inebriated fans unimpeded paths to opposing players after a game. I have no idea how Eastern Washington athletics is so far behind the times. Perhaps the issue never crossed their mind.

This situation was completely avoidable, and it shocks me that a top-ranked program could be so ill prepared to provide adequate security accommodations for a game of Saturday’s magnitude. They had months to prepare.

He obviously doesn't know much about EWU. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
get'em_griz said:

He obviously doesn't know much about EWU. :lol:

Agreed - to the guy that wrote the article;

8f453d655c33b94e6a40855fbdfb4f01

Massively over exaggerated if you were an eagle, probably not if you were a bearkat. Way to represent ewooo

OH god.... surprised it took this long for this to end up here on eGriz.

A few facts to point out.

1) no one rushed the field.
2) this alleged incident took place outside the stadium between the field and the lockerroom (cue the lame comments about EWU's facilities and not having a lockerroom attached to the field)
3) here's what I wrote on Sam Houston's board, and it's getting pretty well received:

It's called home field advantage for a reason. Every stadium has its quirks and idiosyncrasies that add to the package of a homefield advantage. One of EWU's is having the teams enter the stadium through a sea of fans. For EWU, it hypes up the players and it connects the fans with the student athletes. For opposing teams, it helps psych them out and get them rattled before the game. If there were truly altercations or scary interactions, that's on EWU and that should be fixed.

But remember it goes both ways. I was down there before kickoff and when some of SHSU made their way from the lockerroom to the field for warmups, the SHSU players were all about the walk through the fans. They were reveling in it. Yelling at fans, taunting fans, getting all sorts of fired up at the expense of the fans. With my eyes, I saw some young EWU fans, probably 10 or 12 years, old, waiting for some EWU players to walk up to get autographs when a group of 10 SHSU players came walking through jumping up and down and yelling and firing back some smack talk to some of the fans in the tailgate are. Now, of course they were just hyped for the game and meant no wrong, but they were full of emotion so they were cussing, yelling, etc. And to some 12-year olds, they are some really big and intimidating dudes.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Great Day To Be An Eagle said:

2) this alleged incident took place outside the stadium between the field and the lockerroom (cue the lame comments about EWU's facilities and not having a lockerroom attached to the field)
3) here's what I wrote on Sam Houston's board, and it's getting pretty well received:

It's called home field advantage for a reason. Every stadium has its quirks and idiosyncrasies that add to the package of a homefield advantage. One of EWU's is having the teams enter the stadium through a sea of fans. For EWU, it hypes up the players and it connects the fans with the student athletes. For opposing teams, it helps psych them out and get them rattled before the game. If there were truly altercations or scary interactions, that's on EWU and that should be fixed.

But remember it goes both ways. I was down there before kickoff and when some of SHSU made their way from the lockerroom to the field for warmups, the SHSU players were all about the walk through the fans. They were reveling in it. Yelling at fans, taunting fans, getting all sorts of fired up at the expense of the fans. With my eyes, I saw some young EWU fans, probably 10 or 12 years, old, waiting for some EWU players to walk up to get autographs when a group of 10 SHSU players came walking through jumping up and down and yelling and firing back some smack talk to some of the fans in the tailgate are. Now, of course they were just hyped for the game and meant no wrong, but they were full of emotion so they were cussing, yelling, etc. And to some 12-year olds, they are some really big and intimidating dudes.

Are you 12?

grizindabox said:
Great Day To Be An Eagle said:

Are you 12?

:lol:

firmgriz said:
Massively over exaggerated if you were an eagle, probably not if you were a bearkat. Way to represent ewooo

Look, I know I wear red tinted glasses, but I was standing right there talking to one of the Eastern coaches.

Unless someone spiked my fourth quarter meth blast, I can say that I didn't see anything more than one guy rambling incoherently as the kats left the stadium.

But yeah, there should be a roped off area or something...

FormerEag said:
firmgriz said:

Look, I know I wear red tinted glasses, but I was standing right there talking to one of the Eastern coaches.

Unless someone spiked my fourth quarter meth blast, I can say that I didn't see anything more than one guy rambling incoherently as the kats left the stadium.

But yeah, there should be a roped off area or something...

I think that's the biggest issue was that there wasn't a roped-off pathway for SHSU to get back to the locker rooms.

ewoo is a little like Qatar. For 100 years, it was a tiny, god-forsaken place few knew even existed. And those that did didn't want to go there.

Then, they suddenly find a little success, but they don't have the foggiest idea how to handle it.

Oh, and also like Qatar, ewoo is still a tiny, god-forsaken place few know exist, and absolutely no one wants to go there.

Back