• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

That question of the year again

i'm assuming this is a poll question?? you're not actually thinking someone on a fan message board has a factual answer to these questions do you?

Delaney and staff are the best verbal recruiters, we have had!

Delaney & offensive staff are perhaps the worst we have had in 30+ years

Special teams coaching rank near the bottom for all time.

Time out play calling and clock management is beyond bad.

0..... that is zero imagination and inovation on offense, stodgy play calling and is it taking two coaches to make these dumb calls in certain situations????.......are 2 coaches worse than one???????

Nice old man but again he is in over his head, the game has left him behind.

Delaney is a heck of a nice guy but Engstrom picking him out of a hat was and is a grave mistake!

Umista said:

0..... that is zero imagination and inovation on offense, stodgy play calling and is it taking two coaches to make these dumb calls in certain situations????.......are 2 coaches worse than one???????

Delaney is a heck of a nice guy but Engstrom picking him out of a hat was and is a grave mistake!

Again, when you make a stupid decision to fire Pflu and go to the nearest warm body what do you expect? Bad decisions take time to work themselves out. What's funny is people trying to justify it after the fact. This situation that the Griz are in now was all pretty predictable two and a half years ago.

CV Griz Fan said:
Umista said:

Again, when you make a stupid decision to fire Pflu and go to the nearest warm body what do you expect? Bad decisions take time to work themselves out. What's funny is people trying to justify it after the fact. This situation that the Griz are in now was all pretty predictable two and a half years ago.
Yup

CV Griz Fan said:
Umista said:

Would have loved to see a Pflu offense against the pokes today. Would the 2011 team have beaten Wyoming today?

Ursa Major said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Umista said:

Would have loved to see a Pflu offense against the pokes today. Would the 2011 team have beaten Wyoming today?
uh, nope!

indian-outlaw said:
Ursa Major said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Umista said:

uh, nope!
Wrong.

That 2011 team struggled to beat a TERRIBLE DII team late in the season. It's not as if it was an unstoppable machine.

Jesus people. We got edged out by an FBS team in a game in which our QB played poorly. The world ain't ending.

EverettGriz said:
That 2011 team struggled to beat a TERRIBLE DII team late in the season. It's not as if it was an unstoppable machine.

Jesus people. We got edged out by an FBS team in a game in which our QB played poorly. The world ain't ending.

So I guess you're sayin' that you'd take Delaney over Pflu?
Jeez....this place has lost it's marbles....

CV Griz Fan said:
EverettGriz said:

I've read Everett's post about 10 times, and I cannot come up with a conceivable way that it could be interpreted to mean that he prefers Delaney to Pflugrad. Accordingly, your second sentence is correct.

CDAGRIZ said:
CV Griz Fan said:
EverettGriz said:

I've read Everett's post about 10 times, and I cannot come up with a conceivable way that it could be interpreted to mean that he prefers Delaney to Pflugrad. Accordingly, your second sentence is correct.
Oh, I see it clearly. It's in Masonic code. Clear as a bell! Apparently the Walrus is dead too.

And gee I thought that question of the year again, was when are egriz posters going to quit melting down after one game.

Anyone that doesn't think this team overall is in a better place than when Mick came aboard just needs to go find a new hobby. Football is about more than a game. We are talking about young men's lives. Did anyone actually listen to the broadcast and here those announcers rave about what Bohl has done in regard to listening to his team, and traveling from one end of the state to the other - and improving images.

Nope probably not those in this thread.

ordigger said:
And gee I thought that question of the year again, was when are egriz posters going to quit melting down after one game.

Anyone that doesn't think this team overall is in a better place than when Mick came aboard just needs to go find a new hobby. Football is about more than a game. We are talking about young men's lives. Did anyone actually listen to the broadcast and here those announcers rave about what Bohl has done in regard to listening to his team, and traveling from one end of the state to the other - and improving images.

It's why I love this place and can't quit it. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
ordigger said:

It's why I love this place and can't quit it. :lol:

Am I disappointed we loss? Yes, especially how we loss. Am I ready to start calling out names and fire the staff? Hell no. Actually, I'm quite at peace, despite the loss. Our defense looked good with the exception of the 1st drive, and the end when they tried stripping the ball instead of tackling. DL was great. Defensively, the boys need to improve on taking better angles to the ball carriers. Strategy wise, TG was more aggressive with coverage schemes and looked to change things up more. Hell, we even had some coverage sacks/pressures. That was something we very seldom saw the last few years. I actually feel pretty damn good about the defense

Offensively, I am frustrated and disappointed. Then again, those games happen a time or 2 per season for most teams. The offensive problems can be improved. Considering how bad the offense was, it is amazing the GRIZ were in position to win that game, which they should have. Why do I have a positive outlook on the offense? (1) How often does JJ have an off game like that? JJ played below his average. Even with him struggling, the GRIZ almost won (2) Young and inexperienced OL's get better with time and repetitions. I fully expect this group to do that as well. Plus they faced possibly the best DL they will face all year. They will get better, and most our future opponents will not be that good at DL. I was actually surprised the OL is better at pass blocking than run blocking. They do need a lot of improvement in run blocking. (4) The staff actually came out with the right strategy to help the OL out with short quick passing. Speaking of staff, that leads to my next point. (5) Will this staff ever let the offense play the way it plays best? Last year and already 1 game into this season, it is evident this offense is most efficient playing up tempo. JJ is a much better QB with that style too. Big play makers such as EH, Jones, Van, and Canada also get a few more opportunities each game to make things happen. With that many playmakers, I see nothing but positive from speeding the tempo up. (6) Speaking of playmakers, I liked how we tried getting Van the ball in open space. Too bad, he stumbled a few times himself. EH also made some clutch 3rd down grabs. I hope he gets back to football shape soon. We need his presence on the field as often as possible. Defenses have to account for him, and even focus their attention to him. (7) TE's are being looked for by JJ, and even being a bigger part of the game plan. I was really impressed with our TE utilization. Ralston is going to be an absolute beast at TE as he gains experience and skills. That guy plays mean when he has the ball. He will make defenders pay for tackling him. (8) Our inexperienced WR's are getting valuable time. Like the OL they will improve with repetition and experience. Burke actually threw a real nice ball on the reverse pass for a TD. On that play Jannsen went up and got the ball just like it is coached. That was one hell of a play by a young a WR.

I feel the offense needs to focus on developing the OL run blocking over the next few weeks. As frustrated, upset, discouraged, etc as many fans are, relax. That was a game the GRIZ were picked to lose anyway, as much as we hate to admit that. I for one and am glad we do not have to be nitpicking and bitching about our defense as often as we have the last few years. I have faith in JJ at QB. He is the one factor in this that makes this equation much easier to take in. At the very least, gives me peace of mind on this season moving forward.

GO GRIZ!!!!!!!!!!

The "question" is...... Would you all be calling for Mick's head if our offense would've executed that last drive? I say the clock management (using the timeouts) had a chance to work and was the right call.
JJ being off (don't tell me pressure had nothing to do with it) and not really on the same page with his receivers had more to do with our loss than anything the coaching staff did... IMO

EverettGriz said:

So I guess you're saying you wouldn't start Tom Brady if he played for us? Jesus, this place has lost its marbles.

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CV Griz Fan said:
EverettGriz said:

Oh, I see it clearly. It's in Masonic code. Clear as a bell! Apparently the Walrus is dead too.

I just watched the game highlights backwards a few times. I heard Delaney slept with Yoko over and over.....

CV Griz Fan said:
Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
CV Griz Fan said:

I just watched the game highlights backwards a few times. I heard Delaney slept with Yoko over and over.....

Wrong year, wrong statement....you only missed by 5 decades

I like our talent level and they can compete with the likes of FBS Wyo type teams. I think our recruiting has been very acceptable. The o line got caught up with the speed of the game and missed a lot of reads. But that is a learning curve. The tight end passes could be our running game for awhile. I might have brought in a backup qb later in the game for a couple of series after a JJ sack to help him get his breath and give another passer a chance. JJ was clearly not in sync passing today. Not all of it his fault. Mick has had problems in my opinion with clock management and decision making during the game since he has been head coach. I would like to see a younger position coach with drive from say a Pac 12 school come in with fresh ideas and approaches for teaching our kids. Eventhough they probably make more money than our head coach as a position coach many would jump at the chance to run a storied program that Montana has. Not unlike what the BB program did. Weber did that and they have a much tougher hill to climb with instate recruiting. Be watching how that program progresses in the next couple of years or does'nt.

Back