• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Make no mistake this game was lost in the trenches....

CV Griz Fan

Egriz will be full of opinions tonight, play calling, coaching, time out strategy etc. all contributed to the Griz loss but when you run for only 43 yards and a 2.2 rushing ave. you won't win many games. Plus the Griz D got gashed for over 200 yards on the ground. Even with a plus 2 turnover margin, the Griz could not hold off that running attack of Wyo. A classic Bohl victory?

I got tired of the "color" announcer implying that JJ wasn't really as good as advertised. The fact is JJ is just an "average" quarterback when he gets so little protection.
As some have said, it's going to be a looooong year if this is what the offense can produce.

Right.... but did anyone think we were going to run the ball with this line?? I for sure didn't! But of course we line up in the I-formation with a soft FB and try to force the run. Could have told you that wouldn't work. Delaney is a moron. Wake up people!!

griz5700 said:
...of course we line up in the I-formation with a soft FB and try to force the run. Could have told you that wouldn't work. Delaney is a moron. Wake up people!!

You don't have to scream so loud. :dead:

WyomingGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
...of course we line up in the I-formation with a soft FB and try to force the run. Could have told you that wouldn't work. Delaney is a moron. Wake up people!!

You don't have to scream so loud. :dead:

Yeah, it's like deja' vu all over again... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only able to watch part of the game as we lost power here but thought JJ looked good. If he got out of sync I wouldn't worry. Everyone has a bad game once in a while. He's still top five in the country.

You guys aren't very good! You play one of the worst D's in the country and you put up a dozen points? Really? Long season ahead of y'all. Good luck

I must have watched a different game. I did think the griz would win this game but I thought Wyoming was tougher than expected. I thought the griz D looked very stout. The offense was a little out of sync but that sometimes happens in the early season. The o-line looked pretty good all things considered and the d-line looked superb. The linebackers looked very solid and I am optomistic about this year. JJ was a little off but he will find a way to score even with a weaker than normal o-line. Our d will win many games this year.

indian-outlaw said:
I must have watched a different game. I did think the griz would win this game but I thought Wyoming was tougher than expected. I thought the griz D looked very stout. The offense was a little out of sync but that sometimes happens in the early season. The o-line looked pretty good all things considered and the d-line looked superb. The linebackers looked very solid and I am optomistic about this year. JJ was a little off but he will find a way to score even with a weaker than normal o-line. Our d will win many games this year.
Careful... You obviously looked at this game objectively.... Could be dangerous around here..?

PhxGriz said:
At the risk of repeating myself, Gregorak is a stooge.

Your comment is stupid. Gregorak and the defense made an immediate and very good adjustment after the first drive or so, to slow down the Wyo run offense from what it had done early. 8 Wyo. first downs in the first quarter; 1 Wyo. first down in 2d quarter. Pass defense looked very good. 6 sacks, 9 TFL, and 1 pick were terrific. Defense looked good, but not great (yet). Backers out of position or stepping in the wrong direction too often on some run plays, and a few mistakes in pass defense too.

indian-outlaw said:

This is closer to the game I saw too. Backers stepping the wrong way a few too many times on run plays, and making a few mistakes in pass D. O-line needs to improve each week.

griz5700 said:
Right.... but did anyone think we were going to run the ball with this line?? I for sure didn't! But of course we line up in the I-formation with a soft FB and try to force the run. Could have told you that wouldn't work. Delaney is a moron. Wake up people!!

What or who is a "soft FB"?

CV Griz Fan said:
Egriz will be full of opinions tonight, play calling, coaching, time out strategy etc. all contributed to the Griz loss but when you run for only 43 yards and a 2.2 rushing ave. you won't win many games. Plus the Griz D got gashed for over 200 yards on the ground. Even with a plus 2 turnover margin, the Griz could not hold off that running attack of Wyo. A classic Bohl victory?

The Wyo. run game hurt us, was hard to stop at times, and on several drives, but giving up 209 yards (4.5 per carry) in the run game and only 92 in the pass game to a Mountain West team is actually quite good. 6 sacks and 9 TFL is very good. 58 yards on 1 rush, so, without that one, a bit over 3 yards per carry.

To put in a bit of perspective. UM is 30th in the nation in total defense. Somewhere a bit below 50th in rushing defense. 11st in pass defense. 1st in team sacks. 13th in tackles for loss. 29th in scoring defense.

Yes, running for only 43 yards is not good.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:

The Wyo. run game hurt us, was hard to stop at times, and on several drives, but giving up 209 yards (4.5 per carry) in the run game and only 92 in the pass game to a Mountain West team is actually quite good. 6 sacks and 9 TFL is very good. 58 yards on 1 rush, so, without that one, a bit over 3 yards per carry.

To put in a bit of perspective. UM is 30th in the nation in total defense. Somewhere a bit below 50th in rushing defense. 1st in team sacks.

I think Wyoming's low passing numbers says more about their offense than the Griz defense.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:

To put in a bit of perspective. UM is 30th in the nation in total defense. Somewhere a bit below 50th in rushing defense. 1st in team sacks.

I think Wyoming's low passing numbers says more about their offense than the Griz defense.

Yes, but only to some extent. Wyo. threw 21 passes. UM's pass defense was pretty good. Giving up only 301 yards to a Mountain West offense is good.

Anybody who thinks the Griz defense was bad, is a moron. Absent a couple of plays, they played really well. The offense was ineffective, which meant the defense was on the field a lot. The defense will won a lot of games this year.

ranco said:
Anybody who thinks the Griz defense was bad, is a moron. Absent a couple of plays, they played really well. The offense was ineffective, which meant the defense was on the field a lot. The defense will won a lot of games this year.

Good post. The UM d-line seemed to win that trench. The Wyo. o-line seemed to get at our linebackers, and they seemed to wear down the defense later in the game, so they probably won that "trench". The UM o-line gave up only 1 sack and didn't completely break down very often, but couldn't open up any running holes--so I'll give this to the Wyo. d-line and backers. Don't know if backers are really in the trench.

Special teams mistakes and some inaccurate throws by JJ were also factors. Those aren't trenches.

I agree that the trenches/lines are important, but it's not accurate to say that all games are won and lost in the trenches. I'm not even sure that most are. Turnovers are very important. Look at Oregon, does it win because it wins in the trenches on offense?

Back