• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: A mixed bag of results

BWahlberg

DONOR
Looking back I thought we’d see a 19-10 Wyoming win which I simply based that upon an inexperienced Griz O-line having problems with Wyo’s d-line while the Grizzly defense would be able to do enough to keep them in the game. As it turned out the Griz lost 17-12 and those issues popped up, but what might’ve contributed more to this loss than the O-line play for the Griz was an uncharacteristically bad game from JJ and a defense that looked pretty darn good until 10:00 left (or so) in the game when they suddenly fell apart and couldn’t make tackles.

So let’s take a deep breath, realize this was an underdog game where many of us were worried about getting ripped, and take a look at a few things objectively.

1. Our defensive line is legit. Wags had a monster game, Holmes started good but an ankle sprain slowed him down. Two sacks and a few TFLs for Takai. A fumble recovery for Rehm. Wags started of his Buck Buchanan campaign with a bang. The D-line couldn’t plug every hole but save the first drive and the late 4th quarter, they were very good.

2. Our pass coverage was improved. However lets call it for what it is, Wyo’s QB is not very good, he probably wouldn’t start for nearly half of the Big Sky schools. However for a defense that was labeled as soft in coverage, allowing everything in front of them, and unable to attack the passing game they showed some good improvement. They allowed the D-line pressure to help them out, forced a pick in the endzone, and had some good stops.

3. Jordan Johnson is a warrior and plays his BEST FOOTBALL in the hurry up. It was looking pretty rough for the Grizzly offense in the 2nd half but suddenly, and just like last season, JJ is given the green light to go hurry up and move the offense. All he does is suddenly inject life into the offense and they quickly score a TD. JJ was getting blitzed and running for his life but suddenly in the hurry up Wyo couldn’t get to him in time and he found his targets.

4. The O-line did OK. Yes… I said they did OK. No I’m not saying it was great but keep in mind the discussion all week. A lot on here were saying that JJ was going to get hurt, we wouldn’t do a single thing, the OL would totally collapse and be entirely worthless. Were they? No. This was maybe the 2nd best defensive line the Griz will see this year. There were errors, breakdowns, and issues. However form what I saw, JJ had more time than I thought he would. The running game didn’t have much going but some holes were opened up. Surprisingly for all of the worry about the tackles… it was those two who had the better games and the interior line that showed more issues.

5. TraVon Van could be a make or break this season. He is the x-factor of this team and getting him out in space as a WR was an excellent move by the coaching staff. He had a handful of big plays and made both of Wyo’s starting corners look silly trying to tackle him.

6. Lots of big plays from our linebackers. Kose picks a pass, KVA and Gamboa multiple TFLs. These guys are all about the big plays, you can tell. However they need to find more consistency and their tackling late got real bad.

7. How about our TEs, especially Saylor and Ralston? JJ loves the TE and he’s showing it again as those two guys were recipients of a ton of passes and his only TD.

8. Josh Janssen turned a strong fall camp into the first receiving TD of the season. This guy is a rising Griz star, look for more and more of this guy as he gets comfy in this offense.

OK, so here we go, now let’s talk about what everyone is grumbling about. But I’m going to start where many wont.

1. This was probably one of the very worst games I’ve ever seen JJ play. How many open targets did he sling passes to that went way over their heads. For a guy that opened last season as the epitome of efficient QB play Jordan was very inaccurate and was darn lucky he didn’t throw 3 interceptions. I don’t know if it was the pressure or something else but early on he would only opt for the short passes. Once he started going downfield he was unable to find his targets. Many completed passes were even way behind WRs too. While there’s lots of areas to pick apart that contributed to this loss… JJ’s poor performance might be one of the bigger factors.

2. I expected OL issues, but I’m not going to give them a pass because inconsistencies and bad pass protection at the wrong times might explain why JJ was having such a rough time. As I said earlier it seemed to me more of the interior line was the issue. That 4th and 3 on the Wyo 40, Logan Hines lets the DT right through to sack JJ. Stunts and blitzes were effective and mostly up the middle. Other teams will take note and the interior line is going to get attacked big time until they prove otherwise.

3. I can’t blame Kfense and Gragg on playcalling because I think they were limited with the OL and JJ’s play today. However lets dissect that last Griz drive. Down 5 with a chance to take the lead we start with a handoff that’s not worked almost all day long, loss of 4. That one you could place on the coaches. Then JJ hits Saylor in the hand 15 yards up the field, Mitch starts going up field before the ball is secured and drops it. Then 3rd down JJ checks down when he should’ve probably risked a deep throw instead, and it’s nowhere near a first down. Insult to injury, Ellis was hit late with no flag. However relying upon the refs to help convert isn’t the name of the game.

4. Special teams. Ugh. Greenberg gets the nod at kicking and the PAT is rolled and then mis-held, he stops, starts, puts a foot on it, but it’s shanked. Total mess. Then a blocked punt that anyone could see coming from a mile away. Wyo was almost getting there time and time again and then they put on a full rush and Shaw’s easily blocked. It got cleaned up after that but Shaw needs to keep that faster wind up and kicking motion going. On the good side we got a blocked punt out of Peevey and clean punts caught by Nguyen… although he did fumble and recover a kickoff…

5. Tackling late in the game. The defense opened allowing a fieldgoal. It was looking like it’d be a long day. But suddenly they buckled down. Made stops, prevented first downs. For the half of the 1st qtr, all of the 2nd, and most of the 3rd the defense was stuffing the run, pressuring the QB, and forcing 3 and outs. I was beaming, the defense was showing GREAT improvement. But then… the wheels fell off. As the announcers pointed out suddenly the linebackers were not getting off their blocks and our safeties were taking real bad angles to the ball. Hermanson got called out by the Root announcers repeatedly, he went from a good first half to a real bad 4th qtr that I’m sure most egrizzers here will continue to bitch about. Suddenly the Griz couldn’t tackle, they were getting dragged down the field, the pile was driving them back multiple yards, sure fire short gainers turned into missed tackles and big gains. The defense kept the Griz in this game but when it was needed the most, it lost its edge. Again if you’re looking for “blame” look on both sides of the ball. The offense didn’t help by not being able to do much either, the D had to go out time and time again and make a stand. Also it’s hard to keep momentum going when the offense isn’t putting any points on the board.

-----------------

So lets take this for what it is, a loss that by many thought – was going to happen. There were some quirks we did not expect and some surprises that were both bad and good. We’ll have to hear word but it seems injuries were hopefully minimal and we’ve got a good D2 school coming to town that will test us but should allow the Griz to build off the positives and work on the challenges.

What becomes challenging I think for some is that a lot of us expected a loss, but suddenly its halftime and the Griz are up and the defense is looking good. We get our hopes up, but then late in the game we see the game slip out of the Grizzlies grasp. So now some of us are pissed. I’m not. I’m encouraged with some of the nice surprises in this team and I’m looking forward to seeing these guys get on track next week.

Safe travels home Griz and Griz fans – we’ve got a game to win next week! GO GRIZ!

Good job BW. Best analysis I have read so far. IMO, Wyoming was not as good as I was concerned, so the game was closer than I expected, though I never made a prediction. To bad because in reality this was a good year for us to beat an average Wyoming team.

NativeGriz said:
Good job BW. Best analysis I have read so far. IMO, Wyoming was not as good as I was concerned, so the game was closer than I expected, though I never made a prediction. To bad because in reality this was a good year for us to beat an average Wyoming team.

Griz need to improve, no doubt about it. Shaun Rainey on twitter hit the nail on the head with better execution. NDSU and EWU would've smoked this Wyo squad, Griz will need to improve on their execution rapidly. And I think they will.

Sorry BW but the offense was horrid for most of the game and has shown zero improvement from the last time we scrimmaged. 2.2 yards per carry will not get it done. That's the bottom line!

NativeGriz said:

If you are going to Beat Wyo then this was the year to do it. So many things going on in the Wyo program right now that were working against us.

" NDSU and EWU would've smoked this Wyo squad"
so are we a #5?
not today.....i believe we could have won if we were.

issues are still
tackling......hitting these guys above the waist is futile...at this level, especially as a safety, when will they ever learn???
offensive play calling.... too many 3 and outs, we need a few more sustained drives
oh ya, there was one play that wasn't pure vanilla and it turned into a TD.
great throw.......great catch, thank you coaches for letting the young guys play
thank you burke and janssen for the highlight of the day.
preparation....this one is on the coaches....our skill still does not match understanding how to play the game. bohl would have beat wyo if he was the griz coach, he knows the game well............this is not meant just for md. it takes a team to coach a team.
i get the sense that we are still a bit fragmented and not coaching effectively.... cohesively.

BW, as always you touch on pretty much everything that transpired. Love reading your take.

I don't agree that NDSU's Dline will be that much more dominant than Wyoming's. Similar but probably not any more talented. Yarabrough is a better defensive linemen than anyone NDSU has. Having said that, no doubt the Bison would thump Wyoming. I'm not so sure about Eastern though. The Eags would score more points, but I'm not certain EWU's defense would have held Wyoming to 17. Oh well, that's all conjecture anyway.

Unless I read over it, you missed a BIG BIG POSITIVE from this game. Ellis Henderson is going to be JUST FINE. He played more than I expected him to, showed a lot of toughness for having been held out of full contact drills for nearly nine months, and I thought he looked pretty explosive off the ball, and was running wide open when JJ missed Jamal Jones on the corner route. In fact, another big positive, considering how poorly JJ threw the ball, is the fact that IMHO, the Griz WR group that we all hoped we have is exactly that. EH is coming back, Jamal Jones is a monster, Travon Van is as versatile as player in the FCS right now, Janssen is on the rise, Burke played well, Naccarato will be back, and we didn't even see Marq Rogers. I'm honestly to the point where I feel so good about the WR group, and I'm confident JJ will get right back on track, that IF the OL can come together in pass pro, that the Griz are going to light up some very shaky Big Sky pass defenses this season.

havgrizfan said:
BW, as always you touch on pretty much everything that transpired. Love reading your take.

I don't agree that NDSU's Dline will be that much more dominant than Wyoming's. Similar but probably not any more talented. Yarabrough is a better defensive linemen than anyone NDSU has. Having said that, no doubt the Bison would thump Wyoming. I'm not so sure about Eastern though. The Eags would score more points, but I'm not certain EWU's defense would have held Wyoming to 17. Oh well, that's all conjecture anyway.

Unless I read over it, you missed a BIG BIG POSITIVE from this game. Ellis Henderson is going to be JUST FINE. He played more than I expected him to, showed a lot of toughness for having been held out of full contact drills for nearly nine months, and I thought he looked pretty explosive off the ball, and was running wide open when JJ missed Jamal Jones on the corner route. In fact, another big positive, considering how poorly JJ threw the ball, is the fact that IMHO, the Griz WR group that we all hoped we have is exactly that. EH is coming back, Jamal Jones is a monster, Travon Van is as versatile as player in the FCS right now, Janssen is on the rise, Burke played well, Naccarato will be back, and we didn't even see Marq Rogers. I'm honestly to the point where I feel so good about the WR group, and I'm confident JJ will get right back on track, that IF the OL can come together in pass pro, that the Griz are going to light up some very shaky Big Sky pass defenses this season.

Agree. I know WY had a bad defense last year playing a season's worth of FBS opponents, but they returned 9 starters. I don't think there is any way an average BSC defense is going to test the Griz like WY did today.

I really only see NDSU and maybe MSU's d line giving us as much of a test. Band good point Hav on Ellis, I did miss putting that in and it's good to see him working his way back

Wyoming would end the 2014 Big Sky season as the top-ranked defense in the conference and that's not sugarcoating. Compared to what the Griz will see in conference play, it's not even close.

Having said that, the Griz had a great opportunity today down 17-12 and didn't come through. That's disappointing no matter how good the WYO defense was.

BWahlberg said:
Looking back I thought we’d see a 19-10 Wyoming win which I simply based that upon an inexperienced Griz O-line having problems with Wyo’s d-line while the Grizzly defense would be able to do enough to keep them in the game. As it turned out the Griz lost 17-12 and those issues popped up, but what might’ve contributed more to this loss than the O-line play for the Griz was an uncharacteristically bad game from JJ and a defense that looked pretty darn good until 10:00 left (or so) in the game when they suddenly fell apart and couldn’t make tackles.

So let’s take a deep breath, realize this was an underdog game where many of us were worried about getting ripped, and take a look at a few things objectively.

1. Our defensive line is legit. Wags had a monster game, Holmes started good but an ankle sprain slowed him down. Two sacks and a few TFLs for Takai. A fumble recovery for Rehm. Wags started of his Buck Buchanan campaign with a bang. The D-line couldn’t plug every hole but save the first drive and the late 4th quarter, they were very good.

2. Our pass coverage was improved. However lets call it for what it is, Wyo’s QB is not very good, he probably wouldn’t start for nearly half of the Big Sky schools. However for a defense that was labeled as soft in coverage, allowing everything in front of them, and unable to attack the passing game they showed some good improvement. They allowed the D-line pressure to help them out, forced a pick in the endzone, and had some good stops.

3. Jordan Johnson is a warrior and plays his BEST FOOTBALL in the hurry up. It was looking pretty rough for the Grizzly offense in the 2nd half but suddenly, and just like last season, JJ is given the green light to go hurry up and move the offense. All he does is suddenly inject life into the offense and they quickly score a TD. JJ was getting blitzed and running for his life but suddenly in the hurry up Wyo couldn’t get to him in time and he found his targets.

4. The O-line did OK. Yes… I said they did OK. No I’m not saying it was great but keep in mind the discussion all week. A lot on here were saying that JJ was going to get hurt, we wouldn’t do a single thing, the OL would totally collapse and be entirely worthless. Were they? No. This was maybe the 2nd best defensive line the Griz will see this year. There were errors, breakdowns, and issues. However form what I saw, JJ had more time than I thought he would. The running game didn’t have much going but some holes were opened up. Surprisingly for all of the worry about the tackles… it was those two who had the better games and the interior line that showed more issues.

5. TraVon Van could be a make or break this season. He is the x-factor of this team and getting him out in space as a WR was an excellent move by the coaching staff. He had a handful of big plays and made both of Wyo’s starting corners look silly trying to tackle him.

6. Lots of big plays from our linebackers. Kose picks a pass, KVA and Gamboa multiple TFLs. These guys are all about the big plays, you can tell. However they need to find more consistency and their tackling late got real bad.

7. How about our TEs, especially Saylor and Ralston? JJ loves the TE and he’s showing it again as those two guys were recipients of a ton of passes and his only TD.

8. Josh Janssen turned a strong fall camp into the first receiving TD of the season. This guy is a rising Griz star, look for more and more of this guy as he gets comfy in this offense.

OK, so here we go, now let’s talk about what everyone is grumbling about. But I’m going to start where many wont.

1. This was probably one of the very worst games I’ve ever seen JJ play. How many open targets did he sling passes to that went way over their heads. For a guy that opened last season as the epitome of efficient QB play Jordan was very inaccurate and was darn lucky he didn’t throw 3 interceptions. I don’t know if it was the pressure or something else but early on he would only opt for the short passes. Once he started going downfield he was unable to find his targets. Many completed passes were even way behind WRs too. While there’s lots of areas to pick apart that contributed to this loss… JJ’s poor performance might be one of the bigger factors.

2. I expected OL issues, but I’m not going to give them a pass because inconsistencies and bad pass protection at the wrong times might explain why JJ was having such a rough time. As I said earlier it seemed to me more of the interior line was the issue. That 4th and 3 on the Wyo 40, Logan Hines lets the DT right through to sack JJ. Stunts and blitzes were effective and mostly up the middle. Other teams will take note and the interior line is going to get attacked big time until they prove otherwise.

3. I can’t blame Kfense and Gragg on playcalling because I think they were limited with the OL and JJ’s play today. However lets dissect that last Griz drive. Down 5 with a chance to take the lead we start with a handoff that’s not worked almost all day long, loss of 4. That one you could place on the coaches. Then JJ hits Saylor in the hand 15 yards up the field, Mitch starts going up field before the ball is secured and drops it. Then 3rd down JJ checks down when he should’ve probably risked a deep throw instead, and it’s nowhere near a first down. Insult to injury, Ellis was hit late with no flag. However relying upon the refs to help convert isn’t the name of the game.

4. Special teams. Ugh. Greenberg gets the nod at kicking and the PAT is rolled and then mis-held, he stops, starts, puts a foot on it, but it’s shanked. Total mess. Then a blocked punt that anyone could see coming from a mile away. Wyo was almost getting there time and time again and then they put on a full rush and Shaw’s easily blocked. It got cleaned up after that but Shaw needs to keep that faster wind up and kicking motion going. On the good side we got a blocked punt out of Peevey and clean punts caught by Nguyen… although he did fumble and recover a kickoff…

5. Tackling late in the game. The defense opened allowing a fieldgoal. It was looking like it’d be a long day. But suddenly they buckled down. Made stops, prevented first downs. For the half of the 1st qtr, all of the 2nd, and most of the 3rd the defense was stuffing the run, pressuring the QB, and forcing 3 and outs. I was beaming, the defense was showing GREAT improvement. But then… the wheels fell off. As the announcers pointed out suddenly the linebackers were not getting off their blocks and our safeties were taking real bad angles to the ball. Hermanson got called out by the Root announcers repeatedly, he went from a good first half to a real bad 4th qtr that I’m sure most egrizzers here will continue to bitch about. Suddenly the Griz couldn’t tackle, they were getting dragged down the field, the pile was driving them back multiple yards, sure fire short gainers turned into missed tackles and big gains. The defense kept the Griz in this game but when it was needed the most, it lost its edge. Again if you’re looking for “blame” look on both sides of the ball. The offense didn’t help by not being able to do much either, the D had to go out time and time again and make a stand. Also it’s hard to keep momentum going when the offense isn’t putting any points on the board.

-----------------

So lets take this for what it is, a loss that by many thought – was going to happen. There were some quirks we did not expect and some surprises that were both bad and good. We’ll have to hear word but it seems injuries were hopefully minimal and we’ve got a good D2 school coming to town that will test us but should allow the Griz to build off the positives and work on the challenges.

What becomes challenging I think for some is that a lot of us expected a loss, but suddenly its halftime and the Griz are up and the defense is looking good. We get our hopes up, but then late in the game we see the game slip out of the Grizzlies grasp. So now some of us are pissed. I’m not. I’m encouraged with some of the nice surprises in this team and I’m looking forward to seeing these guys get on track next week.

Safe travels home Griz and Griz fans – we’ve got a game to win next week! GO GRIZ!

5. Poor tacking. Hermanson got ripped last year by the broadcasters too especially during the EWU game. He cannot tackle in space. His angles are poor and breakdown technique is horrible. He will never be Colt Anderson. Move on...

havgrizfan said:
Wyoming would end the 2014 Big Sky season as the top-ranked defense in the conference and that's not sugarcoating. Compared to what the Griz will see in conference play, it's not even close.

Having said that, the Griz had a great opportunity today down 17-12 and didn't come through. That's disappointing no matter how good the WYO defense was.

You think you saw a tough defense at Wyoming today? LOL...did you catch the MSU / ASU game? The speed at ASU was unreal. I almost felt bad for MSU. Made the pokes look like, well, slow pokes.

Ironxpeagle, I watched the MSU game, and Arkansas State's defense is of no concern to me considering the Griz don't play them this season. I'm concerned with the defenses the Griz ACTUALLY play this season, and the only other defense that will be as good as Wyoming's is North Dakota State, which I picked the Griz to lose in Fargo anyway so I'm not too worried about that either.

I agree with most of your analysis, but not the o/l...we were dreadful for the most part, did not play physical at all and jj had the day he did in large part because of the pressure...( at least he did not get hurt) .... that was the game I saw today and cannot sugar coat it...we literally did not have a running game...

NikeGrizz said:
why didn't marq rogers play

Good question. I know he was nursing a shoulder injury of some sort. Maybe it's just that Van, Jones, Burke, Janssen, and Hendu are ahead of him?

Back