• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Week 1 Big Sky Conference Results

get'em_griz

DONOR
Wyoming 17, Montana 12
Oregon State 29, Portland State 14
San Diego State 38, Northern Arizona 7
#11 Stanford 45, UC Davis 0
Nevada 28, Southern Utah 19
Arkansas State 37, Montana State 10
Sacramento State 49, Incarnate Word 13
Utah 56, Idaho State 14
New Mexico State 28, Cal Poly 10
San Jose State 42, North Dakota 10
#19 Arizona State 45, Weber State 14
Eastern Washington 41, Montana Western 9
Eastern Washington 56, Sam Houston State 35

The Big Sky Conference goes (3-10) in week 1.

Thanks for doing this. This will be more fun when BS teams start playing each other instead of lots of FBS schools.

Fahque said:
3-10 and two of those are EWUs. Pretty sad

One of those was against Montana-Western too. Another was against Incarnate Word by Sac. Definitely not a strong start for the Big Sky.

If Cal Poly didn't have the legal issues I'm guessing they would have beat NMSU. Not going to get into whether or not the Griz should have beat Wyoming (seriously...I'll have an aneurysm if I think about that last offensive drive anymore) but that could have been another win for the Sky.

Disappointing first week for sure for the Big Sky, but many of the losses were expected. At the end of the year the Big Sky will still be one of the top conferences in the FCS with 3 or more teams in the playoffs. Hopefully the Griz will be one of them!

billings_poke said:
Eastern Washington really played an NAIA team?
Yup, they sure did. ISU has played Montana-Western a couple times in recent years. I am, nonetheless, always surprised/appalled when it happens.

billings_poke said:
Embarrassing, right? We should have tried to book a game with a powerhouse like Oklahoma Panhandle University...

'68griz said:
billings_poke said:
Yup, they sure did. ISU has played Montana-Western a couple times in recent years. I am, nonetheless, always surprised/appalled when it happens.

I saw EWU go for it with a pass on 4th down, up 41-9 with under 11 minutes in the 4th quarter. Not sure that's the way I would have played it.

Dozy said:
billings_poke said:
Embarrassing, right? We should have tried to book a game with a powerhouse like Oklahoma Panhandle University...

And to think the Griz could have dropped Ok Panhandle St and have a game with Delaware, instead; the Blue Hens had an open slot for that weekend. Granted, it most likely would have been a road game but it would have been a decent opponent. The fans mostly would have gone for it but the Athletic Department didn't.

cclarkblues said:
'68griz said:
billings_poke said:

I saw EWU go for it with a pass on 4th down, up 41-9 with under 11 minutes in the 4th quarter. Not sure that's the way I would have played it.
I heard it's part of Beau "Bully" Baldwin's contract. He is paid an extra $5 for every point he scores in the 4th quarter. Before this contract rider in 2011, he had to take a part-time job in the off season at the Human society euthanizing puppies, just to make ends meet.

LOL, not defending EWU playing Western. It was a terrible decision by EWU to do that, and I happen to know Western was EWU's second choice from the Frontier. The first choice turned them down. Having said that, I always get a big laugh when the Armchair AD's pull up schedules on the internet, see a team they'd love their team to play has an open date, and say "We could have played them".

I dare anyone to e-mail Jim O'Day and ask him if it's as simple as seeing a schedule on the internet, and saying, ok, we can definitely go play them BECAUSE their schedule says they are open that week. Yeahhhhhhh, that's EXACTLY how easy scheduling college football games is.

Dozy said:
billings_poke said:
I see Beau left QB1 in the game well into the 3rd quarter to get those efficiency numbers up and pad those stats 27-30, 360 yards and 5 td's.

Dozy said:
billings_poke said:
cclarkblues said:
'68griz said:
billings_poke said:

Meanwhile, Griz had the starters pulled against OPSU with about 2 minutes gone in the 2nd quarter. :roll: :roll:

AZGrizFan said:
Dozy said:
billings_poke said:
cclarkblues said:
'68griz said:
billings_poke said:

Meanwhile, Griz had the starters pulled against OPSU with about 2 minutes gone in the 2nd quarter. :roll: :roll:

Eastern didn't even suit up Kupp, Forte, Hamlin, among others....

Games like this do wonders for ironing out things as well as testing personnel and sharping some skills...

Should it have been scheduled, no. But with 12 games, EWU struggles to find another opponent for a home game, so games like these appear.

marceagfan5 said:
Eastern didn't even suit up Kupp, Forte, Hamlin, among others....

Games like this do wonders for ironing out things as well as testing personnel and sharping some skills...

Ironing things out like fourth down clutch plays. Something that didn't go well for us last year when we needed it to. We paid Montana-Western to come to our house so that we could observe, improve, and prepare for future teams without having to worry about a loss on the record.

Besides, going for it on fourth and long didn't work and it was turned over on downs to Montana Western's benefit. Obviously, because it didn't work, it is something that needs attention. Thank you MW for giving our coaches more information on what we need to work on.

But hey, how about Montana going for it on 4th and goal when they were up 66-2?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=302470149&period=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rjones61 said:
But hey, how about Montana going for it on 4th and goal when they were up 66-2?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=302470149&period=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I'm more concerned about is EWU's defense giving up 9 points to a NAIA school... :coffee:

Back