• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What if Griz make PAT's ?

AlaskaGriz

They are down by three and we are driving to make a field goal at the end of the game to send to OT, instead Griz down by 5 and have to get TD, not to say they would have made field goal. Greenberg was Coach D choice to kick for this game ? For over a year they have known they struggle even with point after. Are they coaching these kids ? Why not use Sullavin ? Just frustrating..... A lot of good things I saw in the game but I think they need to get there crap together.

I agree with this. Delaney needs to just make a decision on who the kicker is going to be and stick to it. The 1st failure on the pat was really frustrating and yes it changed the entire complexity of the game. Gotta get this figured out sooner than later.

AlaskaGriz said:
They are down by three and we are driving to make a field goal at the end of the game to send to OT, instead Griz down by 5 and have to get TD, not to say they would have made field goal. Greenberg was Coach D choice to kick for this game ? For over a year they have known they struggle even with point after. Are they coaching these kids ? Why not use Sullavin ? Just frustrating..... A lot of good things I saw in the game but I think they need to get there crap together.

That missed PAT was not the kicker's fault yesterday. We were sitting right in front of the play when it happened, and it was a terrible snap that skid on the ground. Can't blame that one on our kicker. I'm honestly surprised he was able to even hit the uprights after having to make the adjustment.

They can't even make them in practice, I don't buy the snap was bad, this isn't middle school. Get the one the has the most talent and coach them. Sullavin is the best kicker and get him in the game ! Nico Graham was a kicker in high school and a good one at that.... Put him in. Those kids would not see the field if Bobby was still coaching for UM.

AlaskaGriz said:
They can't even make them in practice, I don't buy the snap was bad, this isn't middle school. Get the one the has the most talent and coach them. Sullavin is the best kicker and get him in the game ! Nico Graham was a kicker in high school and a good one at that.... Put him in. Those kids would not see the field if Bobby was still coaching for UM.

The reality is that the snap was bad. Bouncing on the ground bad. You can't successfully kick FG's if you have bad snaps...

AlaskaGriz said:
Those kids would not see the field if Bobby was still coaching for UM.

You don't remember McKnight's first year do you?

The snap was bad on the PAT. If you have a very bad snap and the holder cant get the ball up in time it throws off the timing of the kicker and all hell breaks loose. It's kind of a surprise it even got up and hit the post.

get'em_griz said:
AlaskaGriz said:

The reality is that the snap was bad. Bouncing on the ground bad. You can't successfully kick FG's if you have bad snaps...

It was a terrible snap that skipped off the rug. Don't know what it looked like on TV, but that's what it was.

griz4life said:
get'em_griz said:
AlaskaGriz said:

It was a terrible snap that skipped off the rug. Don't know what it looked like on TV, but that's what it was.
TV did not show the whole play, just cut back in time to see the kick hit the upright. But anyone at the game saw that the snap was bad, the holder struggled to get it placed and it made the kicker stutter step several times trying to wIt for the ball the be set. It was lucky Greenberg got the ball off the ground.

GottaluvGriz said:
griz4life said:
get'em_griz said:
AlaskaGriz said:

TV did not show the whole play, just cut back in time to see the kick hit the upright. But anyone at the game saw that the snap was bad, the holder struggled to get it placed and it made the kicker stutter step several times trying to wIt for the ball the be set. It was lucky Greenberg got the ball off the ground.

The replay that was showed during the extended rain delay at half showed a better angle and had the whole play. you could see that the snap was bad the holder dropped the ball and greenburg had to stop in mid kick. Threw his timing all off. We were lucky that the ball got off at all.

get'em_griz said:
AlaskaGriz said:

It was a terrible snap that skipped off the rug. Don't know what it looked like on TV, but that's what it was. Kickers fault or not, it is still a special teams issue UM can't seem to coach its way out of.

griz4life has it exactly right,,,,coaches at this level look at the total execution of the special team effort, ie just like the punt that was blocked because number 93 did not even touch the guy,,that was not the kickers fault either.....this whole thing must be corrected as a unit vs. and individual,,,,execution by all !!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlaskaGriz said:

I thought the snap was bad and the hold wasn't good. Was this on the kicker? I missed the play, but this is what others told me. Edit: should have read the rest of the thread before I posted.

Special teams as a whole was awful. Nguyen as a returner is not his specialty, get him out of there. Shaw takes way too long to get his kicks off also. With the Cat game last year, he's had 2 blocked punts in the last 3 games.

Funny, I was sitting next to the Casper Star sports editor and beat writer yesterday.. the editor said after Montana missed the PAT, "that's going to hurt them bad later." Sure enough, missed PAT led to a failed 2 point conversion, then led to some other chain-effect playcalling. He really went off when Delaney punted from the 37, went for it from the 38, then I think went for it again inside the 40, every time the Griz were behind and terrible on special teams. He went on for about 10 minutes about it, kinda funny and all true.

MrTitleist said:
Funny, I was sitting next to the Casper Star sports editor and beat writer yesterday.. the editor said after Montana missed the PAT, "that's going to hurt them bad later." Sure enough, missed PAT led to a failed 2 point conversion, then led to some other chain-effect playcalling. He really went off when Delaney punted from the 37, went for it from the 38, then I think went for it again inside the 40, every time the Griz were behind and terrible on special teams. He went on for about 10 minutes about it, kinda funny and all true.

He must be an idiot. Explains why he's a sports editor in Casper.

The missed extra point had nothing to do with anything relating to the outcome of the game. Note that UM wasn't in position to make a FG to tie at the end of the game. How can people who cover and watch sports be so dumb?

Griz TD, miss PAT 6-3 score.
Pokes go up 10-6.
Pokes go up 17-6.
Griz TD, missed 2-pt conversion, makes it 17-12.
If the Griz make two PATs it's 17-14 for a chance to tie on one of the times they punted (or went for it) from <40. The math really isn't difficult.

get'em_griz said:
AlaskaGriz said:

Zactly. Kicker had no chance on that play. Also, when was the last time a Griz kicker put every kick off out the back of the end zone. Answer: never.

MrTitleist said:
Griz TD, miss PAT 6-3 score.
Pokes go up 10-6.
Pokes go up 17-6.
Griz TD, missed 2-pt conversion, makes it 17-12.
If the Griz make two PATs it's 17-14 for a chance to tie on one of the times they punted (or went for it) from <40. The math really isn't difficult.

The point is that UM was never close enough to kick a FG. The two times UM was in Wyo. territory and went for it on 4th, the kick would have been way over 50 yards. The last UM drive of the game ended up on the UM 16. Thus, the missed extra point, in this game, had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

Lider's longest FG, which was in '12, is 46 yards. Greenberg is shorter than Lider. Greenberg was the kicker on Saturday. The longest UM FG in the past 3 years is 50 yards, and that was Worst.

Math has nothing to do with this discussion. The most important factor is where the Griz were on the field.

Back