• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Upset Guesses (Sept 6)

Where are the upsets?

• Stony Brook (5-6) at UConn (2-9)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • James Madison (6-6) at Lehigh (8-3)

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • #10 'Nova (6-5) vs #11 Fordh'm (12-2)

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • #13 Chatt (8-4) vs #9 J'ville St (11-4)

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • So Illin (7-5) at #16 Eastern Ill (12-2)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Delaware St (5-6) at Delaware (7-5)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • #17 Richmond (6-6) at Virginia (2-10)

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Lafayette (5-7) at Sac. Heart (10-3)

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

I’m baaack. ;) :D
Okay, it’s really early and the “rankings” don’t mean a damn thing. But it’s fun to speculate, so I thought we’d start early on the likely upsets. Besides, the Griz are playing a cupcake (we sure hope), so what's to talk about? Note that I’ve tried to avoid the likely blow-outs. Plus, I don’t do the Big Sky because we all have favorites, or pet hates, that skew the results.

Be aware that I have posted last years records for the teams. Also, the pre-season rankings are shown ... but they are obviously even more meaningless than usual. But, given that fantasy, there are two matchup between ranked teams ... and The Sports Network thinks Southern Illinois could be ranked, so that would make three. I also gave you two of the FCS-FBS matchups: I realize Virginia played UCLA tougher than anyone expected, but they may have “shot their wad” and be down for this week.

As in the past, the team on the left is considered the under-dog, so it would be an upset if they won. You are allowed to pick two possible upsets.

It's early but I think James Madison, Villanova, Chattanooga, Southern Illinois, and Lafayette all get "upsets". I would consider the other way around more of an upset but that's mostly based off a stronger conference making up for last year's record disparity.

When the polls come out this week, a couple of the games might have different underdogs just from a rankings perspective (ie. Chattanooga played well against FBS, Jacksonville State got blown out albeit by Michigan State, E. Illinois doesn't have stud QB anymore and got beat pretty badly by Minnesota).

Richmond and Stony Brook could both give competitive games to their FBS opponents but I don't see either pulling off the upset. And Delaware-Delaware State would be a huge upset (I don't think it's going to happen). I don't think Delaware State has ever beaten Delaware although they haven't played much and all the games have been at UD.

One game should be added to the list.

CWU v UM.

Griz should win this game. However CWU has given the Griz a run for there money really.

Even if we win this game 35 to zip it tells us nothing about this team.

Coaches better not look past CWU to NDSU or we could be in this upset poll!

Okay, I updated the rankings for the various teams, so -- if you think polls actually mean something at this stage of the season -- you can rethink your votes. Go for it!

Since the latest poll reversed (sorta) the rankings, I thought more people would pile on the choice of Villanova to "upset" (I know, I know) Fordham. Well, here's more reason to think Fordham may struggle.
TSN said:
Fordham's Hodge sidelined after surgery

Fordham's nationally ranked football team is facing the prospect of playing its season without Buck Buchanan Award nominee Stephen Hodge at linebacker after he had knee surgery recently.

The FCS All-American was named the Patriot League defensive player of the year last season when Fordham set a program record with 12 wins. He also was chosen as the league's 2014 preseason defensive player of the year.

Hodge, from Medford, New Jersey, is considered out indefinitely. He did not play when Fordham, ranked 11th in the nation, opened the season with a 52-23 victory over Saint Francis (Pa.) this past Saturday.

The Rams next visit No. 10 Villanova on Saturday.

Although I think Villanova is going to handle Fordham, I went with Chattanooga and Southern Illinois.

Interesting. The Sports Network is picking Chattie over Jacksonville State ... I guess because the Mocs are at home.

This sounds like a mess. Apparently, you'll need a program just to keep track of who's playing QB for each team. Actually, though, I hadn't realized just how bad Virginia was.
Mark Giannotto said:
The 10-game losing streak that Virginia brings into Saturday’s game has largely been overlooked amid this week’s quarterback drama. But with upcoming games against Louisville and BYU, Richmond could be the Cavaliers’ best chance this month to end a skid that began following a win over lower-division VMI in last year’s third game.

14-21 Nebraska but you could really get drunk watching this game if you took a drink every time the announcer says speed when talking about McNeese.

Well, UConn hung on to win 19-16, so no upset there. But UConn looked so bad, that might be their only win this year. SB looked pretty good.

JMU had the lead against Lehigh, but Lehigh just scored to re-take the lead.

First upset from the poll: JMU pulls it out, 31-28 over Lehigh. Congrats to those who picked it.

Villanova leading Fordham 7-3 at the half.

Richmond only down 3-7 to Virginia in Q2.

Wow! I figured 'Nova would win over Fordham ... but not the beat-down that's happening over there: 40-6 'Nova at the end of Q3.

BTW: Delaware-D State game postpone, and the game at Sacred Heart currently delayed. REALLY nasty weather will lots lightning going through the area.

Well, we didn’t do too bad. The top two vote-getters, JMU at Lehigh and ‘Nova vs Fordham, were indeed “upsets.” Unfortunately, Chattanooga, the #3 vote getter, could not pull it off. They only lost by a FG, however.

That’s how much Stony Brook missed pulling off the FBS upset. One extra bounce goes there way and they might have beat UConn.

The “upset” (not really, of course) by Villanova was the favorite choice. Still, I doubt that any of us thought it would be a blow-out, which it was (50-6, and it wasn’t that close).

Of course, not many of us picked Southern Illinois to win, and they did so pretty handily ... especially being on the road.

Back