• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Our Complicated Offense

ordigger

DONOR
They had a complicated offense," Wyoming head coach Craig Bohl said. "For our guys to be able to be in position at the right place was great. It wasn’t like we were picture-perfect, we did miss some tackles, but it wasn’t for like a long-breaking gains.”

Since a good portion of eGriz posters believe they know best, I found this comment highly amusing this morning. The HC that many also here would consider the god of fcs the last few years makes a profound statement.

I approve this message.

Our offense is actually decently complex. We use a ton on mis matches to try to get single coverage on the A receiver. We are using van out in the slot and with Saylor as a very versitle tight end. We have a ton of options. When you look at what a D has to prepare for ....it's a lot. We have a decent quick screen game, a few long ball threats, tight ends that are very pass efficient. Not to mention 3running backs with 3styles. Canada you have to watch the gaps, van you have to protect the edges more. Plus we roll out JJ quite often and he has the wheels to beat you on the ground or buy time to find a WR.

yes, and the "complicated offense" dissolves in a hurry when linebackers and corners can blitz untouched into our backfield.

ordigger said:
They had a complicated offense," Wyoming head coach Craig Bohl said. "For our guys to be able to be in position at the right place was great. It wasn’t like we were picture-perfect, we did miss some tackles, but it wasn’t for like a long-breaking gains.”

Since a good portion of eGriz posters believe they know best, I found this comment highly amusing this morning. The HC that many also here would consider the god of fcs the last few years makes a profound statement.

I approve this message.

If Bohl thinks the offense is complicated then we're in good shape. :thumb:

Although on the other hand Bohl has won quite a few national championships with a very non complicated offense...

The difference at this point could be execution.

BWahlberg said:
ordigger said:

I approve this message.

If Bohl thinks the offense is complicated then we're in good shape. :thumb:

Although on the other hand Bohl has won quite a few national championships with a very non complicated offense...

The difference at this point could be execution.

Exactly this. When our offense is able to execute, it is difficult for defenders to stop. Let the Wyoming game be the one where we get all the rust off. I'm feeling confident we will be fine this year.

I posted Bohl's comment in another thread yesterday, as I had the same reaction you did, laughing at all the knowledgeable posters who insist we have an old fashioned, stodgy offense mired in the 60's and super predictable.

Bohl also said in his post game radio interview that the objective of Wyoming ' s defense was to take away the run and then control the Griz by moving the pocket, which he said Wyo did well.
He also said repeatedly that the goal of the offense is to win the game and that his players did a good job of buying in letting the game play out. Kind of made me think about the games in which NDSU played slightly behind initially but pressed on and took control.

griz4life said:
Bohl also said in his post game radio interview that the objective of Wyoming ' s defense was to take away the run and then control the Griz by moving the pocket, which he said Wyo did well.
He also said repeatedly that the goal of the offense is to win the game and that his players did a good job of buying in letting the game play out. Kind of made me think about the games in which NDSU played slightly behind initially but pressed on and took control.

Huh, the goal of the offense is to win the game? Isn't the goal of the defense, and special teams, and everyone, to win the game?

PlayerRep said:
griz4life said:

Huh, the goal of the offense is to win the game? Isn't the goal of the defense, and special teams, and everyone, to win the game?

I took him to mean that he didn't want his players to get hung up on whether a particular play or series was productive, but just to keep executing and trust what was being called. That's probably good advice for a team without a lot of past success.

There are a lot of posters on this board who don't know shit about football. Most of them are very vocal. All of them have an agenda. It's best to ignore them.

mtgrizfankb said:
Our offense is actually decently complex. We use a ton on mis matches to try to get single coverage on the A receiver. We are using van out in the slot and with Saylor as a very versatile tight end. We have a ton of options. When you look at what a D has to prepare for ....it's a lot. We have a decent quick screen game, a few long ball threats, tight ends that are very pass efficient. Not to mention 3 running backs with 3 styles. Canada you have to watch the gaps, van you have to protect the edges more. Plus we roll out JJ quite often and he has the wheels to beat you on the ground or buy time to find a WR.

Well stated. One thing is certain, its a lot to be concerned with for our coaches as well as the opposition. Finishing 2-2 over the next 4 gms is the most likely scenario. 3-1 with budding team chemistry & consistency would be ideal!

Maybe its me, but I didn't see that "United" Griz brotherhood attitude amongst the players. We are missing emotional leaders on the defensive & offensive sides of the ball. Someone of significance in both units need to step up this week.

In the past there were times I thought the offense was very predictable but this is the first thread I have had the chance to read since seeing the game and I can honestly say the thought never crossed my mind in the Wyoming game. Lack of success was as everyone knows due to the OL and I thought JJ looked a bit rusty. Had he made some better throws I believe it could easily have been a W. Of course a little more time for the routes to develop would sure be nice...

NewPapaBear said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Our offense is actually decently complex. We use a ton on mis matches to try to get single coverage on the A receiver. We are using van out in the slot and with Saylor as a very versatile tight end. We have a ton of options. When you look at what a D has to prepare for ....it's a lot. We have a decent quick screen game, a few long ball threats, tight ends that are very pass efficient. Not to mention 3 running backs with 3 styles. Canada you have to watch the gaps, van you have to protect the edges more. Plus we roll out JJ quite often and he has the wheels to beat you on the ground or buy time to find a WR.

Well stated. One thing is certain, its a lot to be concerned with for our coaches as well as the opposition. Finishing 2-2 over the next 4 gms is the most likely scenario. 3-1 with budding team chemistry & consistency would be ideal!

Maybe its me, but I didn't see that "United" Griz brotherhood attitude amongst the players. We are missing emotional leaders on the defensive & offensive sides of the ball. Someone of significance in both units need to step up this week.

I saw a lot of emotion from Kose and Van Ackern....

Seems like our O has a thick play book for a bunch of versatile players but the only thing they do well is the last thing the staff wants to do.

mtgrizfankb said:
Our offense is actually decently complex. We use a ton on mis matches to try to get single coverage on the A receiver. We are using van out in the slot and with Saylor as a very versitle tight end. We have a ton of options. When you look at what a D has to prepare for ....it's a lot. We have a decent quick screen game, a few long ball threats, tight ends that are very pass efficient. Not to mention 3running backs with 3styles. Canada you have to watch the gaps, van you have to protect the edges more. Plus we roll out JJ quite often and he has the wheels to beat you on the ground or buy time to find a WR.
Produces 253 yards, 12 first downs and 12 points.

kemajic said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Produces 253 yards, 12 first downs and 12 points.

UM had 16 first downs, not 12.

mtgrizfankb said:

I think that's a nice summary of our O. But I'd sure like to see: JJ roll out more often as it sure seemed the only time was accurate Saturday was when he was on the run, and the offense as a whole unfurl these plays a little quicker. It "seems" like every play takes forever to unfold, allowing fast defenses to disrupt everything.

Back