• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana Moves Up to No. 4

oGriz

The Sports Network FCS Top-25 College Football Poll

Team (First-place votes) | Record| Points | Previous Rank

1. North Dakota State Bison (93) 1-0 3,830 2
2. Eastern Washington Eagles (63) 2-0 3,804 1
3. Southeastern Louisiana Lions 1-0 3,553 3
4. Montana Grizzlies 0-1 3,064 5
5. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 1-0 3,028 7
6. New Hampshire Wildcats 0-1 2,998 4
7. McNeese State Cowboys 0-0 2,661 8
8. Northern Iowa Panthers 0-1 2,634 9
9. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 0-1 2,580 6
10. Villanova Wildcats 0-1 2,488 12
11. Fordham Rams 1-0 2,423 11
12. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 0-1 2,242 10
13. Chattanooga Mocs 0-1 1,793 14
14. Tennessee State Tigers 1-0 1,701 15
15. Sam Houston State Bearkats 1-1 1,484 17
16. Eastern Illinois Panthers 0-1 1,402 16
17. Richmond Spiders 1-0 1,323 20
18. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 1-0 1,109 22
19. Furman Paladins 1-0 1,004 21
20. Montana State Bobcats 0-1 965 18
21. William & Mary Tribe 0-1 945 19
22. Towson Tigers 0-1 829 13
23. Youngstown State Penguins 0-1 540 24
24. Maine Black Bears 1-0 469 25
25. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 0-1 352 23

Others receiving votes: Southern Illinois 323, South Carolina State 176, Liberty 141, Central Arkansas 126, Central Connecticut State 107, Wofford 94, Princeton 64, Samford 62, Cal Poly 54, Delaware 44, Harvard 42, James Madison 37, Southern Utah 37, Charleston Southern 23, Gardner-Webb 19, Missouri State 15, Alcorn State 13, Sacred Heart 12, North Carolina A&T 12, Stephen F. Austin 11, Southern 10, Alabama State 9, Illinois State 9, Eastern Kentucky 8, Lehigh 7, Southeast Missouri State 7, Western Illinois 6, Duquesne 3, Bryant 2, Norfolk State 2, San Diego 1, Sacramento State 1, Indiana State 1, Murray State 1

We moved up mostly because we had a close game against an FBS team, but also because former No. 4 New Hampshire got their butt kicked by Toledo (54-20). UNH dropped to No. 6.

Ursa Major said:
Apparently few of the voters read egriz.

Clearly some of the voters have different sets of expectations in play-up games than a few of our fans.

BWahlberg said:
Ursa Major said:

Clearly some of the voters have different sets of expectations in play-up games than a few of our fans.

If you think glancing at the final score is enough to validate the ranking.

When the season is done, it may have been just a 2-3 win FBS team beating a 6-7 win FCS team.

BWahlberg said:
Ursa Major said:

I think this says that the pollsters want to reward FCS teams that play FBS teams competitively and hope they continue to schedule those games instead of just loading up their schedules with weaker FCS teams or D2 teams.
This will mean little if we don't take care of business the next two weeks and then go smack the Bison in the their mouth in three weeks. (We need to be competitive in that one!)

I don't think we're playing like the #4 team at all right now, and we have a ton of things to work on.

That said, I think we have the potential to be up there or even better. Just have to straighten things out.

oGriz said:
We moved up mostly because we had a close game against an FBS team, but also because former No. 4 New Hampshire got their butt kicked by Toledo (54-20). UNH dropped to No. 6.
I left us at #5 because we played a team that rarely beats an FCS school by more than a few points. WY would have been beat by Toledo by about the same amount as NH was. I also left NH at #4.

Coaches poll has at at 5 still with coastal at 4
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/506495456453881856[/tweet]

uofmman1122 said:
I don't think we're playing like the #4 team at all right now, and we have a ton of things to work on.

That said, I think we have the potential to be up there or even better. Just have to straighten things out.

^^^ THIS ^^^

We have potential. I was expecting way worse from the O line (sorry) Was it pretty? Certainly not. Can we fine tune things? Yes, and I hope we do very quickly.

I think so many of us are frustrated as the Wyoming game was winnable. Sometimes close hurts.

I like sports ranking polls, but to me, they are sort of like slick automobile advertisements -- fun to read, explain the component parts pretty well and offer quite a bit of information, but you need to get the damn thing out on the road and see how it accelerates up hills, how it handles bumpy roads, how well it hugs sharp curves, and just as importantly, how it performs on clear, smooth roads...in short, you have to drive the thing for a while to find out whether it's a fine tuned machine or a factory lemon. I'm optimistic that the Griz still have a Cadillac, but yes, it needs some tuning and adjustments to reach its maximum performance.

GottaluvGriz said:
BWahlberg said:
Ursa Major said:

I think this says that the pollsters want to reward FCS teams that play FBS teams competitively and hope they continue to schedule those games instead of just loading up their schedules with weaker FCS teams or D2 teams.
This will mean little if we don't take care of business the next two weeks and then go smack the Bison in the their mouth in three weeks. (We need to be competitive in that one!)

I think that you nailed it. This was one of those games where any fan can draw some conclusions based on what their opinions were before the game. Yes the D looked good at times and The Griz hung with a FBS opponent. The negative posters have their "fodder" too.
You are correct though. The match-up with NDSU will be a much better indicator of where this Griz team ranks in the FCS.

PSU had a decent game against a much better team, and still they get hosed without a single vote. as the season progresses this may change.

BozAngelesGriz said:
PSU had a decent game against a much better team, and still they get hosed without a single vote. as the season progresses this may change.

this I expect PSU to be the dark horse of the Big Sky and to have a big year this year

Ahhhh, I see the old Bobcat Nation logic has trickled into Egrizzers. "Our FBS team could have beat your FBS team" lmao. I love that game. Where can I purchase my own ALL KNOWING crystal ball that shows me Toldeo beating Wyoming????

Back