• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Week 2: Know The Enemy - Central Washington Wildcats

get'em_griz

DONOR
This is something new I wanted to give a try, and this is really the first time I've attempted to do a preview of an opponent, so if there are any inaccuracies or if I'm wrong on anything here, let me know! Hopefully this is a good intro to Central Washington while we wait for Brint's writeup! :thumb:

Central Washington University Wildcats
2014 Record: (0-0, 0-0 GNAC)
2013 Record: (7-4, 7-3 GNAC)
GNAC Coaches Poll Preseason Prediction: 2nd Place
GNAC Current Standing: Tied for 1st Place

Head Coach: Ian Shoemaker (2014-Present)
CWU Record: (0-0)

Series History: Montana leads the series 1-0.
Last Matchup: 2008 - Montana 38, Central Washington 35

While the Griz played their first game of the season against Wyoming on Saturday, the D-II Central Washington University Wildcats will be traveling to Missoula to take on Montana for its first game of the 2014 season. Montana is familiar with Central Washington, having played them in 2008 when the Wildcats took the Griz down to the wire, with Montana needing to kick the game-winning 42-yard field goal to break a 35-35 tie to win 38-35 as time expired. This time, the upset-minded Wildcats are looking to finish the job.

What to expect from the Wildcats:
"We are going to run a no-huddle, multiple tempo, multiple shotgun type of offense. With a strong defense already in place, i am excited to fit my schemes around the talented and skilled student-athletes that are returning next season." - Coach Shoemaker

The Wildcats on defense will rely on a strong, aggressive secondary to limit Jordan Johnson's ability to complete passes.

Who to watch on offense:
RS Sophomore Quarterback, Justin Lane - 1,282 passing yards, 124/199 Comp/Att, 6 INT (2013 Stats)
Junior Running Back, Jordan Todd - 1,213 rushing yards (2013 Stats)

Who to watch on defense:
Junior Cornerback, Isaiah Davis - Davis is regarded as one of the nation's top-rated D-II players, and was named to the 1st-team defense on the 2014 D2football.com Preseason All-American team. Davis started all 11 games for the Wildcats in 2013 where he had six interceptions. Davis was the top punt returner in the GNAC, averaging 13-yards per return, and was 4th in kick returns (24.9 yards/return).

Outlook:
While this may not be as strong of a team as the 2008 Wildcats, they still are a high-quality D-II team that is looking to catch the Griz napping who are coming off of a close game against Wyoming. With the Wildcats having an aggressive defense, I'm expecting them to test the O-Line and put pressure on JJ. This will be a good game for the Griz O-Line to improve. The Griz should win this one comfortably, but that's what we thought back in 2008. The Griz cannot look past this Wildcat team.

Extra Tidbit:
Similar to Montana's #37 Legacy, Central Washington also has it's own legacy - #44. The #44 jersey is given to a defensive player who exemplifies the standards of a Wildcat Defender: dedication, toghness, discipline, and tenacity. This year, the tradition of the #44 jersey will be worn by Tovar Sanchez, Defensive Lineman.

What Griz Nation needs to do: BE LOUD, EARLY AND OFTEN.
This won't in any way be an easy game, and we can't overlook this Wildcat squad. With CWU going with a no-huddle offense, be loud early and often to keep them out of sync. Bring the noise, Griz Nation! Beat the Wildcats! Go Griz!!

get'em_griz said:
This is something new I wanted to give a try, and this is really the first time I've attempted to do a preview of an opponent, so if there are any inaccuracies or if I'm wrong on anything here, let me know! Hopefully this is a good intro to Central Washington while we wait for Brint's writeup! :thumb:

Central Washington University Wildcats
2014 Record: (0-0, 0-0 GNAC)
2013 Record: (7-4, 7-3 GNAC)
GNAC Coaches Poll Preseason Prediction: 2nd Place
GNAC Current Standing: Tied for 1st Place

Head Coach: Ian Shoemaker (2014-Present)
CWU Record: (0-0)

Series History: Montana leads the series 1-0.
Last Matchup: 2008 - Montana 38, Central Washington 35

While the Griz played their first game of the season against Wyoming on Saturday, the D-II Central Washington University Wildcats will be traveling to Missoula to take on Montana for its first game of the 2014 season. Montana is familiar with Central Washington, having played them in 2008 when the Wildcats took the Griz down to the wire, with Montana needing to kick the game-winning 42-yard field goal to break a 35-35 tie to win 38-35 as time expired. This time, the upset-minded Wildcats are looking to finish the job.

What to expect from the Wildcats:
"We are going to run a no-huddle, multiple tempo, multiple shotgun type of offense. With a strong defense already in place, i am excited to fit my schemes around the talented and skilled student-athletes that are returning next season." - Coach Shoemaker

The Wildcats on defense will rely on a strong, aggressive secondary to limit Jordan Johnson's ability to complete passes.

Who to watch on offense:
RS Sophomore Quarterback, Justin Lane - 1,282 passing yards, 124/199 Comp/Att, 6 INT (2013 Stats)
Junior Running Back, Jordan Todd - 1,213 rushing yards (2013 Stats)

Who to watch on defense:
Junior Cornerback, Isaiah Davis - Davis is regarded as one of the nation's top-rated D-II players, and was named to the 1st-team defense on the 2014 D2football.com Preseason All-American team. Davis started all 11 games for the Wildcats in 2013 where he had six interceptions. Davis was the top punt returner in the GNAC, averaging 13-yards per return, and was 4th in kick returns (24.9 yards/return).

Outlook:
While this may not be as strong of a team as the 2008 Wildcats, they still are a high-quality D-II team that is looking to catch the Griz napping who are coming off of a close game against Wyoming. With the Wildcats having an aggressive defense, I'm expecting them to test the O-Line and put pressure on JJ. This will be a good game for the Griz O-Line to improve. The Griz should win this one comfortably, but that's what we thought back in 2008. The Griz cannot look past this Wildcat team.

Extra Tidbit:
Similar to Montana's #37 Legacy, Central Washington also has it's own legacy - #44. The #44 jersey is given to a defensive player who exemplifies the standards of a Wildcat Defender: dedication, toghness, discipline, and tenacity. This year, the tradition of the #44 jersey will be worn by Tovar Sanchez, Defensive Lineman.

What Griz Nation needs to do: BE LOUD, EARLY AND OFTEN.
This won't in any way be an easy game, and we can't overlook this Wildcat squad. With CWU going with a no-huddle offense, be loud early and often to keep them out of sync. Bring the noise, Griz Nation! Beat the Wildcats! Go Griz!!

Brint Who?

This is a good match up for our speedy defence. Im betting they'll run a bunch. If JJ gets a few milliseconds before getting pressured i say we win this one by a lot. +17 Griz

Latest posts

Back