• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So... about Portland State....

BWahlberg

DONOR
:? :? :?

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2014/09/canzano_portland_state_fractur.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

let's solve the "Case of the Missing $20,000," because right now, that little mystery has the chronically fractured and typically divided university that operates on the Park blocks even further fragmented

this is a misdirection play.. we had 185 yards in penalties last week, we're undisciplined... the fact that we're trying to air dirty laundry about a golf tournament is embarrassing

The bottom line: For the first time since Burton's first season the Vikings didn't stay in a hotel for the opener. PSU has decided it can't afford to stay more than one night in Pullman this week, too, and so they'll bus over Friday, play the game against the Pac-12 Cougars on Saturday, then board the buses immediately after the game and return five hours back to Portland. Also, later in the season, for a game against Cal Poly, the Vikings won't fly into San Luis Obispo as they traditionally have. Rather, they'll fly to San Jose and bus three hours to the game to save money.

Said Burton: "We're on our own."

Said Hersh: "Not only am I not buying it, there's words you can't print. If our football program can't figure out how to house players, it's time to take the keys away from those people."

Earlier Thursday things were equally tense in a private meeting of former PSU players that Hersh called in the gymnasium at the Stott Center without Burton being informed.

Ticket allocation has already been a touchy topic among Vikings coaches and alumni. Hersh has quibbled with Burton's coaching staff over the number of comped tickets that assistants should be allowed for their families. The two men spent part of last Saturday --- Vikings game day --- emailing back and forth on the issue

Burton's team went 6-6 last season, and he's 19-27 in four-plus seasons at PSU. Hersh spent a portion of the meeting with ex-players, according to those present, fanning the flames about Burton's uncertain future. At one point, Hersh said he was aware of something about Burton's future, but couldn't say more

From the article:
(Then David Hersh was hired last year to take over PSU's sports-marketing operation in a five-year agreement, and he decided he wanted to buy the tournament from Burton.

Sales price: $20,000.

Well, Hersh never put on the golf tournament. May came and went. So did June and July. Both Burton and Chisholm said Hersh still hasn't paid the $20,000 asking price to the football program.

Sounds like kind of a mess. While I'm not a fan of PSU it seems pretty shitty for Hersch to take shots at PSU and claim the bitching about money is just a "misdirection" when he owes the football program $20,000.

Geez - Hersch is throwing Burton and staff under the bus. I don't know, but after a quick read it sure seems like this Hersch guys is a real piece of work. A cage match between Burton and Hersch could be a real money maker, who needs a golf tournament - this year anyway.

What a mess this is. Feel bad for Burton and his team and coaching staff. This marketing guy sounds like a snake oil salesman.

Personally PSU is either better off DII or going to the FBS. FBS huge jump yes but FCS has not done well by them. I personally think fan support would increase for PSU at the FBS level. There are plenty of people in Portland that would go watch a "better" brand of football. Heck when the Griz roll in the place at least gets a crowd.

OrgonGriz said:
What a mess this is. Feel bad for Burton and his team and coaching staff. This marketing guy sounds like a snake oil salesman.

Yup. Never thought I'd say I felt bad for the PSU coaching staff but holy shit that Hersch guy sounds like a complete asshole.

Hersh pointed to Burton's win percentage, also suggested that it was "embarrassing" that the football program could be so hamstrung by being short $20,000. He said it suggests the football budget might have been "mismanaged."

Talk about misdirection. He owes the football program $20,000 but all he wants to do is direct attention away from that and towards other things. I like Burton's response to that.

Said Burton: "I'm an accountant by training. My first job out of college was Deloitte and Touche in Seattle. My job was to perform audits.

"That $20,000? Guess what? That's how we paid for kids to eat. It was absolutely important to give them a stable place the night before the game. And over the course of a season, the cost is $20,000. We're not lining our pockets. We're not ordering things. We're on our own. We've done everything we can, and our kids are OK about it. They're not worried that we aren't eating steak and lobster. We'll bust our butts. And you know why?

"Because we love this place."

Sounds to me like Herscheis flailing around wildly for excuses for why he doesn't want to pay the $20,000. He wanted control of the golf tournament to turn it into something bigger, so he "bought" it for $20,000 then didn't even hold it... Wow.

Potomac Griz said:
OrgonGriz said:

Yup. Never thought I'd say I felt bad for the PSU coaching staff but holy shit that Hersch guy sounds like a complete asshole.

Hersh pointed to Burton's win percentage, also suggested that it was "embarrassing" that the football program could be so hamstrung by being short $20,000. He said it suggests the football budget might have been "mismanaged."

Talk about misdirection. He owes the football program $20,000 but all he wants to do is direct attention away from that and towards other things. I like Burton's response to that.

Said Burton: "I'm an accountant by training. My first job out of college was Deloitte and Touche in Seattle. My job was to perform audits.

"That $20,000? Guess what? That's how we paid for kids to eat. It was absolutely important to give them a stable place the night before the game. And over the course of a season, the cost is $20,000. We're not lining our pockets. We're not ordering things. We're on our own. We've done everything we can, and our kids are OK about it. They're not worried that we aren't eating steak and lobster. We'll bust our butts. And you know why?

Sounds to me like Herscheis flailing around wildly for excuses for why he doesn't want to pay the $20,000. He wanted control of the golf tournament to turn it into something bigger, so he "bought" it for $20,000 then didn't even hold it... Wow.

I would feel bad for PSU and Burton except for the fact that he was the head coach when PSU put a f***ing safety in at wide receiver for the sole reason to do a crack back block on Severin Campbell, not once but twice (I think it was in 2010), which just happened to end Severin's career as a Griz. Burton is a ass.

84GRIZ said:
I would feel bad for PSU and Burton except for the fact that he was the head coach when PSU put a f***ing safety in at wide receiver for the sole reason to do a crack back block on Severin Campbell, not once but twice (I think it was in 2010), which just happened to end Severin's career as a Griz. Burton is a ass.
This happened in Hillsboro stadium when Jeld Wen was being refurbished. I was almost exactly looking down the line of scrimmage when the play occurred. It was a brutal attack. It was literally the dirtiest athletic incident I have ever witnessed.

Grisly Fan said:
84GRIZ said:
This happened in Hillsboro stadium when Jeld Wen was being refurbished. I was almost exactly looking down the line of scrimmage when the play occurred. It was a brutal attack. It was literally the dirtiest athletic incident I have ever witnessed.

It was probably a good thing that it was a close game, I think we won by 3. If not I would think things would have got pretty nasty with retaliations and such. I was surprised that Robin did not get in Burtons face after the game.

84GRIZ said:
Potomac Griz said:
OrgonGriz said:

That was Justin Lilley. He converted from defense to offense during the 2010 season (his freshman season) and finished the rest of his career on the offensive side of the ball. So to say that Burton put a safety in to crack block wasn't the case.

Oh, and David Hersh is a grade A D-bag.

Portland State is a nightmare. Their coaches aren't great, but their athletic marketing is possibly the worst in the country. Pokey Allen basically managed that job for them during his tenure, but nothing was ever done to sell the program to the Portland masses after he left to Boise State.

The last two times Eastern played them in Portland or Hillsboro, Eagle fans outnumbered Viking fans by about a 3-1 count. Considering Eastern's history of dubious fan support, that's a sad statement about PSU.

They constantly get forced into absurd scheduling to make ends meet. Beyond that, they haven't brought an interesting OOC opponent since about 10 years ago when they brought in Grambling State. For this douchebag to rob them of $20k, I'd like to see someone follow him into a bathroom and bust a lead pipe into his skull.

mporter said:
84GRIZ said:
Potomac Griz said:
OrgonGriz said:

That was Justin Lilley. He converted from defense to offense during the 2010 season (his freshman season) and finished the rest of his career on the offensive side of the ball. So to say that Burton put a safety in to crack block wasn't the case.

Oh, and David Hersh is a grade A D-bag.
I have watched that tape a lot of times and Lilley's cheap shot was just that...CHEAP. May have ruined a potential pro career. Burton deserves what he is getting. Its called Karma.

Who says UM isn't "trying" to get in to the Mountain West???? But try is one thing, the MWC Commissioner and Presidents of the existing schools WANTING Montana is another. And I have yet to see one shred of evidence to suggest that Montana is WANTED by the individuals who make those decisions. If the evidence is out there, by all means, share it.

Grisly Fan said:
84GRIZ said:

Was it worse than when your guy purposely tore the Weber star's knee up, ending his career?

poorgriz said:
Grisly Fan said:
84GRIZ said:

Was it worse than when your guy purposely tore the Weber star's knee up, ending his career?
It didn't end his career. It ended his season; he played the whole next year. And they retaliated destroying a knee of one of our DTs the following year.

Back