• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: An expected result but still a frustrating loss

BWahlberg

DONOR
The Griz are now 2-2. As many had thought - even as far back as this spring when the schedule came out. I've said that a few times this week, even with Schmaing and Poole I think that that the most likely record the Griz would have at this point was 2-2.

So how do fans feel about it? I'd say frustrated for the most part. No one in this fanbase likes to see the team lose. In both losses now we saw some similar trends. Shaky O-line play, a QB running for his life, a running game that can't get going, and a defense that plays mightily but gets worn down as the game goes on.

This loss to NDSU may have some silver lining, but the stats really won't tell that much. The Grizzlies redzone defense rose to the occasion, only allowing 1 TD in I believe 6 visits. It would've obviously been nicer to see more forced punts instead of seeing the NDSU offense time and time again get into the RZ. If it weren't for the defensive effort (and lets be honest some NDSU errors too) in the red zone this game would've been a major blow-out. However, it wasn't on the scoreboard, and until the interception in the end-zone it was feeling like the Griz had a fighting chance.

The Griz are facing 3 games now where they'll most likely be the favored team. They need to get things rolling and be ready for that trip to EWU, maybe the best offense in the FCS with maybe the best player in the FCS in Adams.

In watching this game, here's my main impressions;

1. At this point, the offensive line will continue to keep this team from getting to the next level. There's a major lack of consistency and when finally facing a top-tier defense our tackles let JJ get rocked far too often and our interior O-line once again had too many issues giving blitzers and stunt-DE's free shots. You see what this line could become, there was some good run blocking in the 3rd, some good pass protection earlier, but it just wasn't consistent and really fell apart at key times. Mostly the 3rd and goal which could've given the Griz a 14-12 lead at the half, and then pretty much the whole 2nd half and especially the 4th quarter where the Griz needed a drive but saw JJ get hit time and time and time again.

2. There were a few issues but the defense did just enough to keep the game close against an offense that is used to scoring a lot of points and piling up the yards. This wasn't some scrub offense the defense faced off against. They tackled very well with some noticeable misses. They didn't let plays get beyond them, they swarmed to the ball. The defense did have issues stopping the run in the middle of the field, I was hoping to see more from them there. Also QB pressure on passing downs really didn't happen much - which is a first for our D-line this season. While it wasn't pretty the defense did what was needed to keep the Griz in the game. Against the #1 team in the nation that's all you can ask of them.

3. An improving Ellis Henderson might be the difference maker. As he an JJ got on the same page, suddenly the offense showed some life. A deep ball to Jones as well, some nice runs by Canada. I hope Ellis wasn't hurt too bad hitting the wall there and can keep getting back to full speed. Having a playmaker at WR and two at RB will help open this offense up.

4. I was really surprised that our OT's were not given more help at key moments, especially on 3rd down.

5. Officiating was garbage, but both ways. NDSU had some drives stopped and continued some Griz drives too on borderline calls. They also missed an obvious horse-collar and allowed a crap-ton of holding on the d-ends.

----------------

So before you jump off the ledge, the Griz lost on the road to the #1 team in the nation who is one of the most dominant modern dynasties in the FCS. They were in the game for 3 quarters. Their defense did enough to keep it close. We went 1-1 on fieldgoals. The team got banged up in a physical game but there are hopefully no major/long-term injuries.

Remember back to just a few years ago, Griz fans were complaining that the Griz were booking soft OOC schedules and then were pissed when we'd drop out in the playoffs - usually blaming a soft conference and a soft OOC to not prepare the team for the post-season. Additionally we would see teams like EWU of late and App State from years before open with a few losses but find their stride and get rolling.

Now is the time to fine-tune. We're 4 games into the season and right where I personally expected this team to be. I'm not down in the dumps over this loss, in fact I'm already looking forward to seeing how this team will build from it for next week.

Safe travels home Griz and Griz Nation - we've got homecoming this next weekend, let's get after it! GO GRIZ!!!

Thanks, BW, for a good summary. Despite the huge yardage difference, the Griz held in the red zone and allowed NDSU only one TD -- that, in itself, is rather remarkable. But, unless the coaching staff miraculously figures out how to use JJ and run the offense, I think the Griz are doomed to struggles throughout the season. Oh, I think they'll finish fine and probably make the playoffs, but most of the games will not be works of art.

'68griz said:
Thanks, BW, for a good summary. Despite the huge yardage difference, the Griz held in the red zone and allowed NDSU only one TD -- that, in itself, is rather remarkable. But, unless the coaching staff miraculously figures out how to use JJ and run the offense, I think the Griz are doomed to struggles throughout the season. Oh, I think they'll finish fine and probably make the playoffs, but most of the games will not be works of art.

Next 3 games are key. Must win them all, and hope that this comes out in the wins;

1. More consistency from the O-line

2. JJ and Ellis getting back on page

3. Naccarato returning

4. Defense staying healthy and improving every week

5. Special Teams improvement, especially on fieldgoals

--------

Accomplish those and get ready for EWU. Lay it all on the line there and hopefully come away with a quality win.

This^

Well, at least we know we have a kicker who can kick a PAT.
Small comfort. This offense is... :-/

the o/l is not a glamorous position, but ndsu did show they are the most important unit on the field...that is why even in the nfl, many first round picks are o/lineman....our o/l was owned today, in particular theibes by number 53....we are young but it doesn't matter....it also doesn't matter what offense you run, jj cannot throw from his back, spread or pro offense.....the defense was outstanding if you know anything about football...

GrizGuy said:
This^

Well, at least we know we have a kicker who can kick a PAT.
Small comfort. This offense is... :-/

Heh. Also over the stretch it will hopefully give the Griz confidence in winning a road game (@ UND).

Our play calling needs to improve, let JJ run the offense he knows with Van instead of a re-tread Colorado State offense from the early 1980s

Good write up but until Delaney realizes we are not a power running team we will continue to struggle on offense. I have very little confidence the offensive line play will have success against any good defense. Sorry but that's the way I see it. This is the worse line we've ever had here and at a time when we have good skill players. Unfortunate for JJ and others.

I haven't a whole lot of complaints. It will be interesting to see how NDSU does this year come playoff time. Meanwhile, I'm a bit surprised at The Bobcats performance. (Didn't see it but I didn't expect it to be so close)

"They also missed an obvious horse-collar...." <<< I still can't figure out why that was a no call. It wasn't even questionable and the ref was staring at them from a few feet away.

Shrugs shoulders. As you said, some good things and some bad things. We hung in there with #1....so I'm saying there's a chance.

Also... I know JJ was getting harassed, but why is he still overthrowing the ball four games into the season? Worrying.

If the numbers are correct and the UM defense is credited for allowing 1 TD in 6 RZ visits that will put their defense at allowing 4 TDs in 14 RZ visits. That's allowing TDs only 29% of the time a team enters the red zone.

That's really really good.

Now we need the offense to help that RZ defense out and put points on the board.

Delaney is the coach and you are not going to change the way he wants to coach this team. You can only imagine that he dreams of being a coach at NDSU since that is exactly the type of team that he wants to coach. Unfortunately, we are a long ways from having the players to run that offense. We are a mesh of two different types of offense players. Obviously, having some of the O lines of the past would change everything.

I think this team is going to get better but I'm not sure we will ever become a power running team. At least to the level that we need to be to make a long run in the playoffs. We will have enough balance to keep most teams honest but that is about it.

It is what it is folks. If Delaney has a few more years the Griz may evolve to the type team he wants but it is going to take some time.

I liked the game. I liked how the Griz played, especially the D. Red zone defense was awesome. I wish the O had been better more of the time. I wish the o-line would have given JJ more time. I wish we'd scored more TD's from the red zone. JJ is one tough guy and played a nice game. I feel even better about the season after this game, although there is still considerable work to be done. Still zero lost fumbles. The pick was a great interception. Not too many penalties. Not a bunch of big mistakes. No one backed down or laid down. The Bison know they were in a tough game. They beat us, but they know that a break or two going our way could have changed the game.

In 2 full years, during their long win streak, only Northern Iowa and Kansas St have come closer than the Griz did today. No playoff team got within 30 points of them last year. In that 2-year period, no one has held them to less than 22 points.

I'm proud of the team.

grizfan47 said:
Delaney is the coach and you are not going to change the way he wants to coach this team. You can only imagine that he dreams of being a coach at NDSU since that is exactly the type of team that he wants to coach. Unfortunately, we are a long ways from having the players to run that offense. We are a mesh of two different types of offense players. Obviously, having some of the O lines of the past would change everything.

I think this team is going to get better but I'm not sure we will ever become a power running team. At least to the level that we need to be to make a long run in the playoffs. We will have enough balance to keep most teams honest but that is about it.

It is what it is folks. If Delaney has a few more years the Griz may evolve to the type team he wants but it is going to take some time.
Until recruiting O-lineman becomes a priority instead of an after thought we will never be that team.

thanks, BW! I know this was a loss, but I'm not bummed.

- very, very happy with the red zone defense against the best team in FCS.
- I actually thought this was JJ's best outing so far. Bison are just that good on defense.
- Ref's = blind, enough said.
- I may be way off, but the Henderson head plant in the wall, then taking some time to recover was to slow down the game to rest a bit? maybe not.
- 1 TD in 6 tries for the Bison. If they only had the Griz kickers.
- The Griz "D" NEVER QUIT!!!

All in all, I think this was a great game to play before conference play starts. Like to see them again in the playoff's. If nothing else, this made the Griz more hungry. :thumb:

Granted NDSU won and NDSU fans are happy, but we are also somewhat disappointed.
We cannot continue to win with this number of penalties and poor redzone performance.
Not to take away from your D, they were tough as hell when inside your 20.
Our play selection and execution has been faltering in the redzone and it has to improve for us to get to Frisco. I dont see us going undefeated this year.

Anyway, Good game and you have some positive takeaways from this game.
Have a good weekend!

I'm not a big moral victory guy but I'm pretty proud of the toughness they showed today. How many other teams have held NDSU to 1 TD at home? Or were close enough with just a few minutes left in the game to still be in it?

RobGriz said:
I'm not a big moral victory guy but I'm pretty proud of the toughness they showed today. How many other teams have held NDSU to 1 TD at home? Or were close enough with just a few minutes left in the game to still be in it?
exactly!! :thumb:

RobGriz said:

I agree with everything you said. Spot on.

Back