• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Overall thoughts on NDSU?

JayLarson

We heard all week that it was going to be so loud, that NDSU was unbeatable, unstoppable and that they would work the Griz over by more than 3 touchdowns. Well all of this turned out to be false. NDSU is indeed very beatable, and the Griz should have been the team to end their winning streak.

The FargoDome was not louder than MSU, the false starts on the Griz were from a lineman taking his hand off the ground when he turned to look for the audible. NDSU committed a ton of penalties, and they committed alot more that they were not called for. They hold, commit cheap downfield blocks below the waste, and they seem to get away with it. There was an obvious horsecollar tackle on EH that was not called, and that would have been a big 15 yards at that point. NDSU fans will say what about that call on LittleJohn, a forearm to the helmet area is going to get a call, and the refs got it right not to toss him, so I don't wanna here that.

How does NDSU always get to the outside on their run plays, and always seem to get 3 pulling guys out in front with no defense stepping up and stopping them from pulling? It seems like there would have to be some holding for them to accomplish these type of plays, they only got called for it once on a run to the outside.

Our defense had to be on the field for way too long obviously but they could not stop the pass plays, NDSU had guys wide open on every pass that they completed. If our coaches could get out of their own way with crappy play calls, and better coverages on the defense, the Griz would have beat NDSU today.

I was not overly impressed with NDSU today, as the Griz seem to have a habit of making every team that they play against look good by keeping the game close with this slow down style . This roster is not full of guys like NDSU that play that style of football, it is full of explosive guys that need to get the ball in the open field. Henderson had some good moves on a screen and fly sweep, I liked the fly sweep but with the screen any time the Griz go 5 wide they throw that screen. There is so much room for improvement it is disgusting, there is no improvement at all over last season with play calling, and the offense has actually regressed.

I am proud of the effort our Griz players gave today, and NDSU is a tough physical team, but the Griz cannot beat them playing Bison football. Give me some Air Bear please!!!

NDSU struggled a bit. Penalties are incredibly stupid and could bite them in the butt down the road, and they better iron put their passing game.

I was a little suprised at how ineffective Montana is on offense.
I was also a bit surprised at how bad Montana' dline got blown off the ball by NDSU.

NDSU is probably a top 10-25 ranked team, and Montana shouldn't even be ranked.

Our offense is terrible, and so predictable. Nice to see someone join the board after the game just to talk smack!

I'll keep it real and leave the smack out.

You guys have a good RB in the Canada guy. The difference of this game was NDSU completely owned the LOS. Montana's defense did a good job buckling down in the first half and keeping the Bison out of the endzone and it kept you in the game.

But the way the game was flowing it was just a matter of time. NDSU would gain 5+ yards on every first down because of the olines push on the ball. Montana was working hard on offense just to get first down when they needed it.

NDSU won with their staple. They controlled the LOS. It's what they do and it's how they won the last 3+ years.

We almost doubled ya up in yardage and TOP. This game could have easily been 30 something to 10, but to your D's credit you held us to FG's instead of TD's.

THE HERD said:
We almost doubled ya up in yardage and TOP. This game could have easily been 30 something to 10, but to your D's credit you held us to FG's instead of TD's.

I said on another thread that NDSU had nearly 40 minutes in TOP. That is dominance. That was the most important stat of the game.

CV Griz Fan said:
THE HERD said:

I said on another thread that NDSU had nearly 40 minutes in TOP. That is dominance. That was the most important stat of the game.
Pretty sure the most important stat is the score....?

PeauxRouge said:
NDSU's O-line is fantastic. Their D is above average. They were the better team, that is all.

Maybe a little "above average"....

They have not given up a point in the 2nd half all year (4 games). In the last 49 games they have given up 219 points in the 2nd half...total, an average of 4.7 points/game in the 2nd half.

:shock: :shock: :clap: :clap:

A little better than " above average" IMO... :thumb:

If I were an NDSU BiSon fan I would be seriously concerned about the inability to score touchdowns in the red zone. That was beyond abysmal. Granted the Griz have one of the best defenses in all of the FCS but NDSU really looked lame. It seems their run game is only effective if there is a threat to throw. The red zone takes away some of that threat.
The BiSon's only touchdown was on a broken play.
I would grade NDSU's performance as a B- with extra credit points being given for penalties not being called.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
If I were an NDSU BiSon fan I would be seriously concerned about the inability to score touchdowns in the red zone. That was beyond abysmal. Granted the Griz have one of the best defenses in all of the FCS but NDSU really looked lame. It seems their run game is only effective if there is a threat to throw. The red zone takes away some of that threat.
The BiSon's only touchdown was on a broken play.
I would grade NDSU's performance as a B- with extra credit points being given for penalties not being called.

Yes, the red zone scoring needs to improve but I would give the Griz defense some credit for this yesterday. Some of the play calls by the Bison OC were head scratchers but the Griz defense made some good plays also.

Bison looked "lame?" If "lame" is rushing for 280 yards, having a 2-1 TOP advantage, 24-9 1st down advantage and holding your opponent scoreless in the 2nd half.....I'll take it!! :thumb:

The power west-coast offense isn't "flashing" but the Bison do a good job of running it.

Our problems in the red zone worry the hell out of me. We also better quit getting stupid penalties. A rough conference schedule is ahead and I for one will be pretty surprised if our win streak is intact by seasons end.

THE HERD said:
Bison offense shot themselves in the foot more often than not in the red zone. Griz defense was OK down there but it was more of NDSU not executing rather than your defense.

westnodak93bison said:
THE HERD said:
Bison offense shot themselves in the foot more often than not in the red zone. Griz defense was OK down there but it was more of NDSU not executing rather than your defense.

i agree with you that wentz isn't a very good qb, but the pre-cows were mainly stopped because there were many great plays by the griz in the red zone.

westnodak93bison said:
How about the block below the waist call. Looked like a text book block that started at the waist?

and i thought bobcat fans were a bunch of fucking babies....

A couple of thoughts on this game.

Montana played good redzone defense. NDSU made a lot of mistakes in the redzone. Call it however you see it, but I give a lot of credit to Montana for not just breaking. When a team runs the ball for 280 yards and basically does what it wants to do between the 20's and controls the ball for close to 40 minutes of the game, most defenses would just lay down.

Holding a team to field goals is important, but as a defense you have to get off the field and give your offense a chance. Giving up 280 yards on the ground is not a good defensive performance.

NDSU has played in so many types of these games it is tough to count. Go ahead and look up games from 2011-2013. It would surprise you how many 20-10 types of games NDSU plays in.

argh! said:
westnodak93bison said:
How about the block below the waist call. Looked like a text book block that started at the waist?

and i thought bobcat fans were a bunch of f***[*] babies....
I'm not complaining about it. Just seems to be the way it is supposed to be done. Initial contact was at the waist.

Back