• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mick "3rd and Long" Delaney

cch2oback

Horrible coaching! Quit sugar coating it! Our offense has a small O-Line, we have small quick running backs that the coaches want to pound the middle with, we can't kick the ball, and we have a high school coaching staff. Period. Yeah, "3rd and Long" step up a couple of years ago and saved the day when Pflu got mystery fired, so what he is NOT a head coach. We got rolled today, I was there it wasn't close. When you hire high school coaches for a great football program what do you expect? All you Mick "3rd and Long" Delaney lovers prove me wrong! I can predict the offense and I haven't played in 30 years. Pathetic!

been talking about it all day.. we would get good yards on the quick swings/screens but would only run them on the late downs.. please get the ball in our playmakers hands in early downs please!

cch2oback said:
Horrible coaching! Quit sugar coating it! Our offense has a small O-Line, we have small quick running backs that the coaches want to pound the middle with, we can't kick the ball, and we have a high school coaching staff. Period. Yeah, "3rd and Long" step up a couple of years ago and saved the day when Pflu got mystery fired, so what he is NOT a head coach. We got rolled today, I was there it wasn't close. When you hire high school coaches for a great football program what do you expect? All you Mick "3rd and Long" Delaney lovers prove me wrong! I can predict the offense and I haven't played in 30 years. Pathetic!

Log off, sober up, and come back in the morning!

DAMN, what is Growler's # of screen names up to now??? It HAS to be more than the Griz had first downs today lol. I say this time, PLEASE mods, let Growler stay. At least until he brings racism back into his manifestos.

NikeGrizz said:
been talking about it all day.. we would get good yards on the quick swings/screens but would only run them on the late downs.. please get the ball in our playmakers hands in early downs please!
Really? I saw multiple screens blown up and qiucks to van and screens blown up. We got beat by a better team. Quit complaining. It was a learning experience and jj had less time to throw than ever before. We got beat ...plain and simple it was not coaching.

mtgrizfankb said:
NikeGrizz said:
Really? I saw multiple screens blown up and qiucks to van and screens blown up. We got beat by a better team. Quit complaining. It was a learning experience and jj had less time to throw than ever before. We got beat ...plain and simple it was not coaching.

It is coaching when back to back years we have struggled with the same thing offensively. This year is worse because of lack of experience at OL. This staff makes very few adjustments offensively to help the personnel out. Hell last season we had 3 SR OL who at least made NFL training camps . Also 2 LB's making NFL rosters, and a 3rd LB making the CFL. Christ sakes, that is 6 players playing at the highest 2 leagues in the sport. Yet, what does the program and university have to show for it? It is not a talent issue. It is learning how to utilize the talent and making adjustments game to game to get the best out of the talent.

So far the only positive improvement on this team is defense. I admit, the defense still has to improve with more consistent pass coverage, and stopping a power running team. The defense lost a ton of talent at LB, yet the new LB core is playing well, at least better than many thought they would. At times, the defense even seems to have a little edge to them. The offense has ZERO edge or attitude!!!

It is also coaching when this staff has yet to be win against a playoff caliber team. I will give them a pass on year 1. That situation was a nightmare situation for everyone involved. We can thank our fearless leader Royce Engstrom for that colossal screw up.

Sorry, but the University of Montana GRIZ football program should never accept anything less than being a FCS title contender every year. This staff needs to learn how to win big games. It starts with learning how to make adjustments from opponent to opponent. Even minor tweaks would help this offense. Why is it we cannot make adjustments on the passing game from any damn formation? Teams can run quick routes and pick defenses apart even in power formations. Also, how often do we try running damn WR screens or screens to Van when we go 4 and 5 WR sets?

Hell had we even ran one option and have JJ keep the ball that would have helped our RBs and OL. Yet, not 1 time did he keep it. Him keeping it would have been good yards a few times. Yet, last year our less athletic QB, Smithwick-Hann ran that play to perfection a few times. No staff in any offensive scheme can be consistently successful if they are not willing to make the necessary tweaks. Also when a team that finds something that is working, don't go away from whatever it is!!! This staff is lousy at that too, that is the few times they find something that is working.

Next game is UNC, the team will again look like a contender. Yet, how many of you are confident we can win 2 of 3 against EWU, MSU, and Sac State? The irony of this, I somehow had faith this team could possibly give NDSU all it could handle, and even believed an upset was possible. Despite the coaching, the talent almost did. Why was I thinking that? Our defense has looked much better than I expected this early. Gregorak has actually made some nice adjustments since last season, and they do have a little edge to them. I feel that will continue defensively. Offensively, my faith in the offensive coaching staff's play calling is as bad as it has ever been. I just want them to prove they can make the necessary adjustments to help their offense. Is that really asking or expecting too much for the offensive coaching staff?

I won't leave out special teams. Sullivan had better be named the kicker starting next week. From spring through this game, he has looked to be the most consistent. It would not surprise me if MD manages to name the least consistent kicker, Lider as our kicker.

Am I being a hard ass on the offensive coaches? Damn right I am. So far they are the main reason why this team is struggling. This team actually has great talent. It is perplexing to have 2 years with the same problems on the same side of the ball. I want to see Van run mean like he 1st did when he 1st got here. We need all our RB's to run with the conviction we saw from Wyoming and NDSU. Extra yards here and there make a difference in tight games. Even if it costs us a damn flag or 2, I want to see some aggression and attitude from a few of our OL too!!! We have a couple of young guys who can be that guy too. :thumb:

To end on a somewhat positive note. Great job Defense by stopping NDSU in the redzone and fighting from start to finish against them. :thumb:

Great coaching today....a win would've been nice. A few breaks here and there, with some better execution - and the board would be completely different.

mtgrizrule said:
mtgrizfankb said:
NikeGrizz said:

It is coaching when back to back years we have struggled with the same thing offensively. This year is worse because of lack of experience at OL. This staff makes very few adjustments offensively to help the personnel out. Hell last season we had 3 SR OL who at least made NFL training camps . Also 2 LB's making NFL rosters, and a 3rd LB making the CFL. Christ sakes, that is 6 players playing at the highest 2 leagues in the sport. Yet, what does the program and university have to show for it? It is not a talent issue. It is learning how to utilize the talent and making adjustments game to game to get the best out of the talent.

So far the only positive improvement on this team is defense. I admit, the defense still has to improve with more consistent pass coverage, and stopping a power running team. The defense lost a ton of talent at LB, yet the new LB core is playing well, at least better than many thought they would. At times, the defense even seems to have a little edge to them. The offense has ZERO edge or attitude!!!

It is also coaching when this staff has yet to be win against a playoff caliber team. I will give them a pass on year 1. That situation was a nightmare situation for everyone involved. We can thank our fearless leader Royce Engstrom for that colossal screw up.

Sorry, but the University of Montana GRIZ football program should never accept anything less than being a FCS title contender every year. This staff needs to learn how to win big games. It starts with learning how to make adjustments from opponent to opponent. Even minor tweaks would help this offense. Why is it we cannot make adjustments on the passing game from any damn formation? Teams can run quick routes and pick defenses apart even in power formations. Also, how often do we try running damn WR screens or screens to Van when we go 4 and 5 WR sets?

Hell had we even ran one option and have JJ keep the ball that would have helped our RBs and OL. Yet, not 1 time did he keep it. Him keeping it would have been good yards a few times. Yet, last year our less athletic QB, Smithwick-Hann ran that play to perfection a few times. No staff in any offensive scheme can be consistently successful if they are not willing to make the necessary tweaks. Also when a team that finds something that is working, don't go away from whatever it is!!! This staff is lousy at that too, that is the few times they find something that is working.

Next game is UNC, the team will again look like a contender. Yet, how many of you are confident we can win 2 of 3 against EWU, MSU, and Sac State? The irony of this, I somehow had faith this team could possibly give NDSU all it could handle, and even believed an upset was possible. Despite the coaching, the talent almost did. Why was I thinking that? Our defense has looked much better than I expected this early. Gregorak has actually made some nice adjustments since last season, and they do have a little edge to them. I feel that will continue defensively. Offensively, my faith in the offensive coaching staff's play calling is as bad as it has ever been. I just want them to prove they can make the necessary adjustments to help their offense. Is that really asking or expecting too much for the offensive coaching staff?

I won't leave out special teams. Sullivan had better be named the kicker starting next week. From spring through this game, he has looked to be the most consistent. It would not surprise me if MD manages to name the least consistent kicker, Lider as our kicker.

Am I being a hard ass on the offensive coaches? Damn right I am. So far they are the main reason why this team is struggling. This team actually has great talent. It is perplexing to have 2 years with the same problems on the same side of the ball. I want to see Van run mean like he 1st did when he 1st got here. We need all our RB's to run with the conviction we saw from Wyoming and NDSU. Extra yards here and there make a difference in tight games. Even if it costs us a damn flag or 2, I want to see some aggression and attitude from a few of our OL too!!! We have a couple of young guys who can be that guy too. :thumb:

To end on a somewhat positive note. Great job Defense by stopping NDSU in the redzone and fighting from start to finish against them. :thumb:

Good post. Logical thoughts and I believe many Griz fans feel the exact same way. The only thing you left out was recruiting. I have been amazed how well this staff has done recruiting. They probably deserve a solid A in that category. I only wish they were as good at coaching as they are at recruiting. Finding a good coach is obviously not easy for any program, especially when you have such turbulent times as the Griz did after Pflu's firing. Unfortunately we are a couple of years away from scaling the mountain top. The program will rebound - it just takes time. As for this year - I am going to remain an optimist and hope that the offensive line gels and the play calling improves on offense. The defense was on the field way to damn long. I know one thing - The Griz can at least hold their heads high for a tough fought battle in a hostile environment. Kind of like the Bob's did when they played them- oh wait a minute. :|

They just played the #1 team in the country to 12 points on the road without Schmaing and Poole on the OL. How do you think this game would have turned out if the Griz could go 4 wide and attack the field? You lose these two guys and the offense is in total protection mode. Johnson didn't take a sack and made some big plays down the field, D held em to 22 points (great job). Most offenses have been in 3rd and long mode against NDSU the Griz were no different. They were in the game in the 4th quarter what the hell else did you expect?

grizaremoregooder said:
They just played the #1 team in the country to 12 points on the road without Schmaing and Poole on the OL. How do you think this game would have turned out if the Griz could go 4 wide and attack the field? You lose these two guys and the offense is in total protection mode. Johnson didn't take a sack and made some big plays down the field, D held em to 22 points (great job). Most offenses have been in 3rd and long mode against NDSU the Griz were no different. They were in the game in the 4th quarter what the hell else did you expect?

What I expect is the GRIZ start winning against playoff caliber teams consistently. Mick's best win to date was against MSU last season. Even that W turned out to be against a non playoff team. Speaking of playoffs, I also expect the GRIZ to win against a southern team in the playoffs at WaGriz.

I expect our offense to be able to adjust in game to our defensive competition. Again it is not about the formation we run. Regardless of formation or opponent, how often has this offense implemented short quick passing, and utilized the middle of the field since this staff has been here? I don't expect them or any team to do that all game, but it does need to become part of the playbook to keep teams thinking. This offensive play calling has to be more creative and more of the field has to be utilized for this offense to improve. By doing that, they lessen the defensive advantages now have on this offense. The focus on getting the ball to Van makes sense, he is a playmaker and needs the ball. However, they are too focused on him. The majority of time he is on the field, defenses know come hell or high water plays are likely designed to go to him. Using him as a decoy now and then would help this offense, again to give the defense more to think about. Imagine this, when Van runs a wheel route or a screen toward him, how about dragging a damn TE, Henderson, Jones, etc on slant in route between the hash marks? Or a simple shuttle pass or safety valve pass to Canada to the opposite side of Van?

Why aren't these simple adjustments being utilized? Is it JJ or is it coaching? Who or what is the main the problem in this offense not executing and utilizing personnel properly? Does it even matter who or what the problem is? The fact is, it has to be corrected, and has not been. I'd give this staff a break if this were a problem just this season. However, that is not the case. This offense was fine the 1st part of last season, then somehow, someway this offense became reliant on deep slow developing passing trees. It has very seldom went back to spreading the ball around the field. We have witnessed JJ under Pflu, even at times under the current staff show he can do this. Who or what has been this offenses handcuff the past year? Is the OL a factor? Hell yes, but not an excuse!!! I don't care what the sport is, who the opponent is, it is the job and responsibility of the coaching staff to make adjustments to help their personnel succeed and increase the chances of winning. The offensive side of the ball has not and is not doing those adjustments!!!

Let me us another example for us to focus on the remainder of the season. In Gregorak's time as DC one of the criticisms has been his over reliance on linebackers against good passing teams. The man is showing he is adjusting and learning on the job. He has started implementing true Nickel packages at good times. This is a sign of him and his staff developing as a staff, and is a great sign. They need to continue on improving this. If we want to beat EWU and other solid playoff teams, this defense will need to have solid nickel and dime packages. Is this kind of defensive adjustments Ty's strength? Hell no, but the man is smart and confident to know it is something that must happen. Do I expect the defense to turn away from the base defense? Hell no. Do I expect them to be a versatile enough to make these small adjustments when necessary and needed? Yes I do. Ty is slowly making progress game to game with improving what his defense needs to do, rather it be personnel or strategy. Rather the defense succeeds or falls short of the desire goals and outcomes, for me as a fan, it is encouraging the defensive side of the ball is getting it. They are trying to be better and setting up the defense to be more versatile.

How frustrated is Ty and likely the whole staff now from NDSU? It sucks to have a defense sacrifice giving up rushing yards with the goal to limit NDSU's scoring in the redzone. Why was this how the game played out? It was because our offense could not control the game or the crowd. Instead the defense had to let their offense limit their own chances and keep their crowd impacting us. The defense conceded yardage to limit scoring. We used NDSU's strength to help keep the game close. That is not a good sign for any team, it sucks when a team has to concede anything to any opponent. With that said, the defense effectively limited NDSU from scoring more. The defense put the team in position to win a close game. Unfortunately it did not matter. The offensive coaching staff again was our teams worse enemy.

It is apparent the offense has to improve against better competition. Like it or not, it starts with the offensive coaches adjusting to what reality is and finding ways to help our personnel be better. Will they do it? That is yet to be determined. To date the last year, they have not.

mtgrizrule said:
grizaremoregooder said:

What I expect is the GRIZ start winning against playoff caliber teams consistently. Mick's best win to date was against MSU last season. Even that W turned out to be against a non playoff team. Speaking of playoffs, I also expect the GRIZ to win against a southern team in the playoffs at WaGriz.

I expect our offense to be able to adjust in game to our defensive competition. Again it is not about the formation we run. Regardless of formation or opponent, how often has this offense implemented short quick passing, and utilized the middle of the field since this staff has been here? I don't expect them or any team to do that all game, but it does need to become part of the playbook to keep teams thinking. This offensive play calling has to be more creative and more of the field has to be utilized for this offense to improve. By doing that, they lessen the defensive advantages now have on this offense. The focus on getting the ball to Van makes sense, he is a playmaker and needs the ball. However, they are too focused on him. The majority of time he is on the field, defenses know come hell or high water plays are likely designed to go to him. Using him as a decoy now and then would help this offense, again to give the defense more to think about. Imagine this, when Van runs a wheel route or a screen toward him, how about dragging a damn TE, Henderson, Jones, etc on slant in route between the hash marks? Or a simple shuttle pass or safety valve pass to Canada to the opposite side of Van?

Why aren't these simple adjustments being utilized? Is it JJ or is it coaching? Who or what is the main the problem in this offense not executing and utilizing personnel properly? Does it even matter who or what the problem is? The fact is, it has to be corrected, and has not been. I'd give this staff a break if this were a problem just this season. However, that is not the case. This offense was fine the 1st part of last season, then somehow, someway this offense became reliant on deep slow developing passing trees. It has very seldom went back to spreading the ball around the field. We have witnessed JJ under Pflu, even at times under the current staff show he can do this. Who or what has been this offenses handcuff the past year? Is the OL a factor? Hell yes, but not an excuse!!! I don't care what the sport is, who the opponent is, it is the job and responsibility of the coaching staff to make adjustments to help their personnel succeed and increase the chances of winning. The offensive side of the ball has not and is not doing those adjustments!!!

Let me us another example for us to focus on the remainder of the season. In Gregorak's time as DC one of the criticisms has been his over reliance on linebackers against good passing teams. The man is showing he is adjusting and learning on the job. He has started implementing true Nickel packages at good times. This is a sign of him and his staff developing as a staff, and is a great sign. They need to continue on improving this. If we want to beat EWU and other solid playoff teams, this defense will need to have solid nickel and dime packages. Is this kind of defensive adjustments Ty's strength? Hell no, but the man is smart and confident to know it is something that must happen. Do I expect the defense to turn away from the base defense? Hell no. Do I expect them to be a versatile enough to make these small adjustments when necessary and needed? Yes I do. Ty is slowly making progress game to game with improving what his defense needs to do, rather it be personnel or strategy. Rather the defense succeeds or falls short of the desire goals and outcomes, for me as a fan, it is encouraging the defensive side of the ball is getting it. They are trying to be better and setting up the defense to be more versatile.

How frustrated is Ty and likely the whole staff now from NDSU? It sucks to have a defense sacrifice giving up rushing yards with the goal to limit NDSU's scoring in the redzone. Why was this how the game played out? It was because our offense could not control the game or the crowd. Instead the defense had to let their offense limit their own chances and keep their crowd impacting us. The defense conceded yardage to limit scoring. We used NDSU's strength to help keep the game close. That is not a good sign for any team, it sucks when a team has to concede anything to any opponent. With that said, the defense effectively limited NDSU from scoring more. The defense put the team in position to win a close game. Unfortunately it did not matter. The offensive coaching staff again was our teams worse enemy.

It is apparent the offense has to improve against better competition. Like it or not, it starts with the offensive coaches adjusting to what reality is and finding ways to help our personnel be better. Will they do it? That is yet to be determined. To date the last year, they have not.

:clap: Great post!

AZGrizFan said:
Holy crap those are long posts. Nobody reads that crap. How about a cliff notes version?

People who like to read. Sorry but unlike some here. I am supporting my points of view with relevant information. I could resort to just bashing, predictions, and claims without justifications. Funny part is, there are posters here that would ask for more backing behind the point or points of view. To each is their own. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
Holy crap those are long posts. Nobody reads that crap. How about a cliff notes version?

People who like to read. Sorry but unlike some here. I am supporting my points of view with relevant information. I could resort to just bashing, predictions, and claims without justifications. Funny part is, there are posters here that would ask for more backing behind the point or points of view. To each is their own. :thumb:

:lol:

I read the first two sentences, and thought your point was made. Then you just went on and on and on and on and on.... :?

AZGrizFan said:
It was an excellent post. Some of us read what mtgrizrule has to say because he's pretty knowledgeable. If I just wanted to read the cliff notes I would go over to BN

grizeyes said:
mtgrizrule said:
grizaremoregooder said:

:clap: Great post!

I'll second that.

mtgrizrule said:
mtgrizfankb said:
NikeGrizz said:

Are we really "struggling"? Come now, we just lost a game to the number team in the country the last 40 months or so....and were not blown out like so many predicted. We also lost to a much improved Wyoming squad who will make a bowl game this year IMO. Could we be better? Of course, but even when winning all the time the goal is to be better. What if JJ did the option you mention, and then got leveled, suffers a career ending concussion (god forbid)....maybe....no no....absolutely these coaches understand more about this then 99% of the posters on here....its simple execution. If we are executing these plays, the number of whiners/snivlers/bitchers would drop dramatically. In Big Sky play this team is going to average 35-40 points a game. Its not coaching....not even close. Coaches are simply the first individuals that fans feel the need to lash out at. NDSU fans.....are just taking their head coach, and coaches to task for the game yesterday. Difference? Execution.

Back